Nexus 6 still on 5.1.1 where's my 6 update?

Pity? Because someone isn't running the latest and greatest OS released 10 seconds ago which does the same damned thing the previous version did/does? Seriously?

This is a selling point for people who buy Nexus devices. Hell, even Google puts it in their ads for the phone. So yes.. seriously.

I was forced to have to root my HTC One M8 like many other folks stuck on Android 5.0.x. This is not an HTC One M8 problem alone. The same issue exist in every android phone of that version. Google fucked it up. But Google also fixed it in 5.1, but OEMs and/or carriers are not updating. This could be a matter of life or death being able to actually make a phone call. Having to root the phone to make it work is ridiculous. Rooting or jailbreaking to add features and functionalities is one thing, but rooting to remove useless shit draining battery and wasting memory and to fix the phone is another.

Nexus or some kind of OEM update OEM guarantee will be the only Android phones I get from now on. Otherwise I just might never leave an iPhone... (You won't find me say this a year ago.)

Pity? Because someone isn't running the latest and greatest OS released 10 seconds ago which does the same damned thing the previous version did/does? Seriously?

Running bleeding edge OS is the next stupid fad after metal phone. Ironic how those demanding bleeding edge mobile OS are still running Windows 7 instead of 10 insider build, Linux stable instead of unstable, Cisco IOS GD instead of ED, etc.

Running bleeding edge OS is the next stupid fad after metal phone. Ironic how those demanding bleeding edge mobile OS are still running Windows 7 instead of 10 insider build, Linux stable instead of unstable, Cisco IOS GD instead of ED, etc.

I mean who needs or wants security fixes against active exploits. Stupid fads.

I mean who needs or wants security fixes against active exploits. Stupid fads.

Instead you get lovely bugs like the one affecting the 5x, 6p and possibly the 6: No notifications for gmail messages. (on 6.0.1) There's a rather large bug report page about it on Google's bug tracker.

I always have notifications for gmail messages...what are you talking about?

Instead you get lovely bugs like the one affecting the 5x, 6p and possibly the 6: No notifications for gmail messages. (on 6.0.1) There's a rather large bug report page about it on Google's bug tracker.

What he said.

I've been running 6.0.1r10 since it hit AOSP early January. No GMail notification problems here.

What he said.

I've been running 6.0.1r10 since it hit AOSP early January. No GMail notification problems here.

Just because it isn't affecting you doesn't mean it doesn't exist. See the huge issue page here. Also been running into intermittent issues with sync not running, leading to Keep being out of date.

Just because it isn't affecting you doesn't mean it doesn't exist. See the huge issue page here. Also been running into intermittent issues with sync not running, leading to Keep being out of date.

Being the first to get the latest greatest update is one of the selling point of Google Nexus (beside the pure/non-bloated android experience). If Google fail to deliver that, I don't see the point of getting Nexus devices anymore. After two nexus (4 and 6), I might get an iPhone next time if Google keep their customers waiting for months for an update.

I figured that was an issue with Gmail, not Android. I was having some of the issues described in that issue tracker on Lollipop too. I wouldn't get notifications for any mail outside of my primary inbox despite checking to have notifications enabled on all of them (social, promotions, updates, etc.). Don't think I am now on Marshmallow either, I haven't really paid attention to it or even made sure I have notifications enabled now. I see most of my mail on my desktop anyways, so it hasn't been a big deal. I'm on a HTC M8 running a stockish (Sense) ROM from the dev edition M8 too, so not stock Android.

Is this affecting you or are you just posting the info?

Is this affecting you or are you just posting the info?

Why do you think I went searching for that page in the first place? Gmail is flaky at best at notifications and syncing is screwy as well. (likely related but I don't know much about the internals of Android)

Why do you think I went searching for that page in the first place? Gmail is flaky at best at notifications and syncing is screwy as well. (likely related but I don't know much about the internals of Android)

Given the hap-hazard nature of this issue...I'd sooner guess it is a server mirror problem for your geographic area than an android bug related to the 6.0.1 update. Hangouts has had rolling massive notification lag several times of the last couple months, across devices and across multiple Android revisions.

Hangouts has been screwy since version 3.0 for me. That's when updates started breaking animated gifs and MMS messages randomly stopped working to non-hangouts users. One update will fix something and the next will break it again. I'm not sure if that's Android related or just the Hangouts app.

Messenger is so much better than Hangouts for SMS/MMS. Don't miss the latter at all... quite the opposite.

In fact, I dare say Google finally got Messenger to the point within the past 1-2 years where it should be the mandatory default on every Android device. It's fast, clean, and just works.

Inbox app is spotty with notifications for new emails on 6.0.1 for me as well.

Messenger is so much better than Hangouts for SMS/MMS. Don't miss the latter at all... quite the opposite.

In fact, I dare say Google finally got Messenger to the point within the past 1-2 years where it should be the mandatory default on every Android device. It's fast, clean, and just works.

...Yea....except Messenger doesn't backup or restore your SMS from the cloud if you ever for any reason need to flash or do a factory-reset. Unlike Hangouts.

Which automatically makes it far far less desirable in my book. Sadly the latest Hangouts update has a popup to install Messenger as the recommended SMS app...which means Google is going to kill Hangouts SMS in favor of a half-finished less feature-full app.

Back