Nexus 6 still on 5.1.1 where's my 6 update?

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
So my Nexus 6 has still not been updated to Android 6. WTF. I've always gotten the other updates almost when they were released. I'm on ATT but of course this is a phone I purchased from the Play store so I should be updating on the Android Sched. Anyone else never get their update? I feel left out and it's almost Christmas:(

Got my update yesterday. Took a while.

Maybe this was the reason for the slow rollout, got it a month ago:

Update on Band 12
Today’s M update doesn’t yet support Band 12, and a small number of Nexus 6 users may experience reduced LTE coverage in certain rural areas and in buildings as a result. Most Project Fi users won't be affected, but you can choose not to take the update if you’re concerned about it.
Deciding to offer the update without Band 12 was a hard choice to make, but we know that many of you are anxious to get the improvements and features offered by Marshmallow, so we wanted to offer it as quickly as we could. We’re working hard to add Band 12 support and expect it to be available soon. If you have any concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you carrier then flash the stock image.

Profit?

Been on 6.0.1 for weeks.

As far as I know this would only affect T-Mobile users, right? TM is who is rolling out Band 12 in new area's.

I think.

You should get it by the end of the month. Patience, or download the official rom and install it manually.

I've been on 6.0.1 for a few weeks now. You should just download the wugfresh toolkit from xda and flash it yourself. Literally just click a few buttons to do it, I'm using mine on T-Mobile and the phone was bought from amazon if that matters any

Yeah. Looked at the toolkit yesterday but............my Nexus 7 2013 updated itself to 6.0.1 this AM..go figure.

I just ordered a mint condition 16gb moto x pure edition for the wife today from Swappa for $305. That phone should be on 6.0 now also, ill see when it comes in

ATT does roll outs for updates, it's pretty stupid.

It's far from "pretty stupid" as the carrier can't support tons of phones all snarfing an update over data at the same time.

I thought the whole point of the phone was you werent at the mercy of your carrier, as far as updates go?

It's more that you aren't at the mercy of the stupid slow manufacturer update rate.

For my previous phone (LG G2), LG never rolled out 5.1.x and even then it took like ~8 months before I saw the 5.0 update.

It's far from "pretty stupid" as the carrier can't support tons of phones all snarfing an update over data at the same time.

It's more that you aren't at the mercy of the stupid slow manufacturer update rate.

For my previous phone (LG G2), LG never rolled out 5.1.x and even then it took like ~8 months before I saw the 5.0 update.

...so let them "snarf" it down over wifi instead. It isn't like bandwidth is friggin unicorn blood or kitten tears.

No it's pretty stupid, considering most of the update only happens on wifi there is zero reason to split it up.

Bandwidth isn't infinite. A non-rolling update is still stupid regardless of cell or wifi. That's why even the utility company do rolling blackouts, Google Play Store rolling app updates, etc. Only the stupid take down the network and get fired.

Bandwidth isn't infinite. A non-rolling update is still stupid regardless of cell or wifi. That's why even the utility company do rolling blackouts, Google Play Store rolling app updates, etc. Only the stupid take down the network and get fired.

I mean look how frequently Steam gets DDoS'd by game updates that aren't rolled out geographically.

I mean look how frequently Steam gets DDoS'd by game updates that aren't rolled out geographically.

Lol Apple does it all in one too, Microsoft mostly does too. I think the only time MS didn't was when they rolled out the Windows 10 update/upgrade.

I guess ATT is the only network that can't handle a (I'm guessing) sub 1gig roll out.

You might want to do some research. Steam does do scheduled updates. No one is stupid to do shotgun blast approach.

As for Apple, they should if they don't since it's not uncommon to experience slow or failed iOS OTA updates.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/09/16/ios-9-software-update-failed-error-plagues-release/

None of those you mention as examples "roll" an update out over 6+ weeks. Hell I got the first (and only) FO4 update patch in a few hours.'

Why can't you just admit your point doesn't have a leg to stand on?

None of those you mention as examples "roll" an update out over 6+ weeks. Hell I got the first (and only) FO4 update patch in a few hours.'

Why can't you just admit your point doesn't have a leg to stand on?

Steam doesn't do roll outs, they make games and patches available upon release. Could you imagine the chaos that would ensue with only a few players on the most current patch? Or if you bought The Witcher 3 and had to wait six weeks after to download it?

My Moto X Pure also got hit with it yesterday.

It doesn't look a whole lot different :)

The "Internal Storage" feature for the SD Card is the primary thing I wanted, along with the proposed improved battery life and performance.

After using Marshmallow on a Nexus 6 for a few days, it's not really that different from Lollipop in most all respects. It would have been better to just consider it Android 5.2 or perhaps 5.5 or something but, a jump from 5.1.1 to 6.0.1, I just can't see it - there ain't that much new and different in 6 to justify that jump IMO but whatever.

I still like and prefer KitKat to be honest. Looking at a Moto X 2014 right now that had KitKat from the factory and hoping the owner never bothered to update but I suppose that's the proverbial snowball's chance on that one. If it's got Lollipop 5.0.x on it I can still get it rooted and use Sunshine to unlock the bootloader but if the current owner accepted the 5.1.x OTA or heaven forbid the 6.x update oh well, I'll have to pass on it.

But when I was using the Nexus 6 I had no issues with 5.1.1 or 6.0.1 either way, both ran about the same, benchmarked about the same, battery life about the same. It ain't nothing to write home about that's for damned sure.

Well, on a Moto X Pure (2015), Doze certainly makes a noticeable impact on standby time. If I leave my phone undisturbed overnight for 8 hours, it now drops to 98-99%, as opposed to 93-94% before Marshmallow. As you can imagine, this can have a real-world impact on battery life during the day if you aren't an insanely heavy user.

Other than that and Now on Top (which is still in its developmental stages), I would agree: Marshmallow does very little to change the end user experience.

Well, on a Moto X Pure (2015), Doze certainly makes a noticeable impact on standby time. If I leave my phone undisturbed overnight for 8 hours, it now drops to 98-99%, as opposed to 93-94% before Marshmallow. As you can imagine, this can have a real-world impact on battery life during the day if you aren't an insanely heavy user.

Other than that and Now on Top (which is still in its developmental stages), I would agree: Marshmallow does very little to change the end user experience.

One catch, Doze mode's timeout is 2 hours of the device not moving at stock. which basically means the only time your phone will ever enter doze is on your bedstand while you sleep.

Franco and others have apps out to change the Doze settings...course you need to be rooted to do so AFAIK.

I got tired of ATT updates and flashed my own. I've waited months and didn't get a single update. Screw that.

It's so easy with that wugfresh toolkit. Doze is nice, they added a shit load of emoji's but that's all I can tell the difference with. Sure my battery life is a little better but it was never bad before.

The irritating thing as noted in other posts in other places is that smartphone makers just keep focusing on adding new features, sometimes with their own support circuitry which just makes the device use more power instead of less, and they aren't focusing on the actual quality and the battery life for devices when they're actually being used.

No offense but I have a BlackBerry Z10 that will last a week with casual usage when I put it in 2G mode in terms of the standby time and that's a 3+ year old device now. I wish manufacturers would stop dicking around with all the new crap - seriously, do people need to have hundreds of emoji in the OS itself when that sort of thing could be added from the Play Market and a 10 second download if that on an as-wanted basis?

Doze is interesting but, since it only affects the standby time and only kicks in as noted earlier in this thread after a pretty long period of idle time (thankfully altering that period is now possible, but what the hell was Google thinking with 2 freakin' hours?) so, again, new(er) devices suck for battery life.

I still have my Droid MAXX from 2013, still on the original battery, and I still only have to charge it (direct, even though I could use wireless charging but that's just so dreadfully inefficient even with the newest devices) once every ~3 days and sometimes well into a 4th. 2+ year old device, lasts 5x longer than the best hardware on the market today that claims to be some much more efficient, not even.

I have an Atrix HD a few years ago and did the RAZR MAXX battery mod on it and it would run for 4-5 days between charges and that was with an easy 15+ hours of SOT aka screen on time which I've yet to see any device be capable of. Yes it was a 1280x720 IPS backlit panel in it but who cares, 15+ hours of SOT is still pretty damned awesome in my opinion. :)

man, just hit the XDA site, get wugfresh and flash the google factory images.

After using Marshmallow on a Nexus 6 for a few days, it's not really that different from Lollipop in most all respects. It would have been better to just consider it Android 5.2 or perhaps 5.5 or something but, a jump from 5.1.1 to 6.0.1, I just can't see it - there ain't that much new and different in 6 to justify that jump IMO but whatever.

I still like and prefer KitKat to be honest. Looking at a Moto X 2014 right now that had KitKat from the factory and hoping the owner never bothered to update but I suppose that's the proverbial snowball's chance on that one. If it's got Lollipop 5.0.x on it I can still get it rooted and use Sunshine to unlock the bootloader but if the current owner accepted the 5.1.x OTA or heaven forbid the 6.x update oh well, I'll have to pass on it.

But when I was using the Nexus 6 I had no issues with 5.1.1 or 6.0.1 either way, both ran about the same, benchmarked about the same, battery life about the same. It ain't nothing to write home about that's for damned sure.

Doze, App permissions, Now On Tap, and some other nice behind the scenes stuff. It's a pretty big release IMO.

5.1.1 was definitely worse off in the battery optimization department than 6.0.x. It was actually noticeable on my Nexus 6.

So far, 6.0.3 (Chroma Rom / ElementalX kernel) has been quite nice. Would recommend.

Rollout just started for my Turbo overseas. I'll probably be stuck on 5.1 for quite a while longer.

Pity? Because someone isn't running the latest and greatest OS released 10 seconds ago which does the same damned thing the previous version did/does? Seriously?

I'm on ProjectFi and just recently received my update on an unlocked Nexus 6. I believe one of the radio frequencies may have had a problem with Marshmallow. Google sent out an email acknowledging this to ProjectFi customers.

Pity? Because someone isn't running the latest and greatest OS released 10 seconds ago which does the same damned thing the previous version did/does? Seriously?

I'd call ATT customers still on 2+ month old firmware a great deal different than "10 seconds ago"...especially when folks are uneasy over security vulnerabilities.

I've read that if your carrier doesn't like to release firmware updates (like AT&T is famous for) you can pop the SIM card out and try it over Wi-Fi to bypass some of that. Any truth to that or is that just Reddit nonsense?

I've read that if your carrier doesn't like to release firmware updates (like AT&T is famous for) you can pop the SIM card out and try it over Wi-Fi to bypass some of that. Any truth to that or is that just Reddit nonsense?

Close, you have to put in another SIM (active or not, doesn't matter) from any other carrier, then check for the update. But that only works too if you're not on some specific AT&T variant of the firmware as well, can't remember the version number. I just read an article about it a week or so ago that one of the few tech sites I frequent posted.

Back