Nexus 6 speculation

I kind of mentioned this in the Note 4 thread. The Nexus 6 is a bad sell. It's a jack of many, matter of none at a premium price. If the Nexus 6 starts at $450 for the 32GB version and $500 for the 64, recommending it would be significantly easier. Starting at $650, why should people get it over a Moto X, Droid Turbo, Note 4, OnePlus One, or the HTC One?

Moto X - greatest user experience
Turbo - greatest battery, great UX
Note 4 - best display, best camera, better battery
OnePlus One - best value, great user experience
HTC One - best sound, great user experience, good/best low light and selfie cameras

I don't even see the Nexus 6 as being significantly better than the LG G3, which has been updated to lollipop quickly with a better camera, and it's $450 now.

The $650 price without any additional incentives other than getting updates straight from Google has killed my enthusiasm for the Nexus 6. Heck, even if it started at $550 for the 32GB, it would be an easier phone to recommend.

Let's see here:

Turbo: Only available on Verizon. SOL on any other carrier. Want to talk "tough sell" again?

Note 4. Fuck Samsung and their Knox shit. Fuck Samsung and their Ouija-board-based-update timetables. And it is more expensive. Weren't you just complaining about price?

OnePlue One-ZERO customer service if you have problems. Oh yea, and bad Q/C issues (see yellow screens). Oh, and you can't buy oit for love and money...still the moronic "invite" shit. Talk about a "tough sell". LMAO. Also OnePlus One does not support any CDMA carriers.

HTC One-Soon to be EOL for updates, IIRC.

Which leaves Moto X.

And all of the above cost more unlocked and off contract than Nexus 6 last I knew....aside from OnePlus, which as pointed out above you can't even buy even if it fidn't have issues.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on the two N6s I ordered for my wife and myself. I haven't owned a phablet before, so I am using this as a test case; if I find the size to be too much, I'll return mine and keep my N5 for another year.

On the other hand my wife desperately wants a phablet. If the N6 will do one day's work no problem, we will likely keep it for her. If it struggles though, I will need to consider the Note 4. Unfortunately both of us despise Touchwiz, and being beholden to Samsung for updates. Complicating things is that I have a $200 gift card offer from Tmo if I buy a Samsung device, so technically I would save $100 if I went for the Note 4...

If only I didn't care about having stock Android so much, this would be an infinitely easier decision!

Gotta agree about the N6, the price and not really being able to buy it, then the so-so reviews for a $600 phone, meh. If it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper, or smaller, or performed some sort of miracles to justify the price and outweigh it's size to a person not dieing for a phablet like myself, sure. I don't see that it has though. I'm glad it exists and I'm sure many people will be very happy with it but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe when I can buy a used one for a couple hundred bucks.

Also agree on F touchwiz and locked phones with iffy updates, I did look hard at the motoX14, just wasn't enough of an upgrade over my old S4 to jump though.
The Droid Turbo was. Far from perfect itself but not bad.
Tough sell or not, vzw has like 300 freakin million users.

Never used a Samsung phone, so I'm giving it a try with the Note 4. Should be delivered tomorrow. I hope I can root and ROM the hell out of it to neuter TW as much as possible. If the N4 doesn't hook me, then I'll probably stick with my 5s until next spring when the 2015 phones start rolling out. Maybe I'll give Windows phone another shot. Kinda tired of phone shopping, though. No, I really AM tired of phone shopping.

was posted earlier. mixed review.

Pretty sure his prior impression of pure android made him want to come up with a reason to be positive about the device. Really though I didn't think he was all that jazzed.

I kind of mentioned this in the Note 4 thread. The Nexus 6 is a bad sell. It's a jack of many, matter of none at a premium price. If the Nexus 6 starts at $450 for the 32GB version and $500 for the 64, recommending it would be significantly easier. Starting at $650, why should people get it over a Moto X, Droid Turbo, Note 4, OnePlus One, or the HTC One?

The one feature the Nexus 6 has that few (any?) other phones have is that one model will work on all 4 major carriers and their MVNOs.

That said, I still think it is overpriced.

The one feature the Nexus 6 has that few (any?) other phones have is that one model will work on all 4 major carriers and their MVNOs.

Overpriced in the sense that it is priced similarly if not lower to all carrier unlocked phones.

I agree, with the sub battery, poor camera and often performance issues (may be fixed) it should be priced more competitively.

They are all overpriced. $600 for a phone does not compare favorably to all the other things $600 will buy a person. But that's another matter I guess and in no small part opinion.

They are all overpriced. $600 for a phone does not compare favorably to all the other things $600 will buy a person. But that's another matter I guess and in no small part opinion.

I don't disagree entirely; when you think about it as a phone, it is expensive. When you look at it from the perspective of an ultra-portable computer with a 6" touchscreen and 10+ hours of battery life that can connect to Wifi and Cellular networks, it sounds less outrageous.

Also, with the rate of change being so fast, in 18 months to 2 years, it will be worth 40% or less of its current value.

Should have mine next week so I'll see then. I'm sure I will like it.

Sure, but if I thought those were fairly priced I probably wouldn't own a Nexus 5. :)

Nexus 5 (and IIRC N4) were pricing oddities. Prices have otherwise stayed or gone up on everything else in the last 10 years.

I agree, with the sub battery, poor camera and often performance issues (may be fixed) it should be priced more competitively.

Battery is a software issue. Most people I've heard from playing with 5.0 builds on their devices report poor battery life.

I think the pricing issue is blown a bit out of proportion - the N6 is $100 less off contract versus its nearest competitor (the Note 4). Yes its battery is certainly weaker (and yes, that is a big deal), but most other aspects are at least similar. You also don't have to deal with TouchWiz, or wait on updates from Samsung.

So no, the N6 is not being sold nearer cost like the last two generations, but it is still less than its competition.

I think the pricing issue is blown a bit out of proportion - the N6 is $100 less off contract versus its nearest competitor (the Note 4). Yes its battery is certainly weaker (and yes, that is a big deal), but most other aspects are at least similar. You also don't have to deal with TouchWiz, or wait on updates from Samsung.

So no, the N6 is not being sold nearer cost like the last two generations, but it is still less than its competition.

Remember, Nexus 6 at $650 and $700 is MSRP I think. MSRP for Note 4 is $1,029.99 USD for the carrier unlocked 910 (which has no LTE or CDMA conectivity at that)...so the difference in price between Note4 is a lot more than $100USD....$100 difference is only online sale price on Amazon. And on Amazon they warn "NO WARRANTY" on the official Prime listing.

Is Note 4 worth nearly twice the price of the Nexus 6? Not really.

Remember, Nexus 6 at $650 and $700 is MSRP I think. MSRP for Note 4 is $1,029.99 USD for the carrier unlocked 910 (which has no LTE or CDMA conectivity at that)...so the difference in price between Note4 is a lot more than $100USD....$100 difference is only online sale price on Amazon. And on Amazon they warn "NO WARRANTY" on the official Prime listing.

Where are you getting this ridiculous Note 4 price? I could buy a Note 4 from Tmobile and have it unlocked within a month or two for $750

Where are you getting this ridiculous Note 4 price? I could buy a Note 4 from Tmobile and have it unlocked within a month or two for $750

Yeah it's $750 off contract from Tmo, which is the price I would be facing as a consumer, so that's what I'm going off of. $100 or 15% more.

It is the official listed MSRP on the Amazon listing. Anything less is a sale price, and I presume T-Mobile would charge for the carrier unlock as well.

Last edited:
It is the official listed MSRP on the Amazon listing. Anything less is a sale price, and I presume T-Mobile would charge for the carrier unlock as well.

They require it to be paid off and on the network for 40 days. Still much cheaper than buying it from Amazon....

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N910VMKEVZW

Galaxy Note 4, completely free and clear for $700, and it has an unlocked bootloader so you can load any ROM's you want on it.

Soooooo, exactly the same price as the Nexus 6 then.......

Sooooo $50 more than the Nexus 6. I didn't realize that Samsung themselves were selling it for less than the carriers; perhaps an easier decision then for some. Still no stock android unless you are willing to go the third party ROM route. Definitely a great option though. Is this Verizon only? I can't seem to find an equivalent for Tmo, but perhaps there is an unlocked one for a GSM carrier that works on Tmo..

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N910VMKEVZW

Galaxy Note 4, completely free and clear for $700, and it has an unlocked bootloader so you can load any ROM's you want on it.

Soooooo, exactly the same price as the Nexus 6 then.......

Read your own links. What are you smoking? That is a Verizon carrier-locked handset hoss. "completely free and clear" indeed. Samsung only lists USA carrier-locked Note 4 handsets on their (USA) website.

Two T-Mobile stores this past weekend and none of the reps seemed to know what I was talking about with the N6. No demos or anything.

I'm thinking I'm gonna give it a rest for now and stick with my N5 and N7 2013 and wait for L to finally appear as system updates. I think google really screwed the pooch on this release and I got more important things to worry about now.

Read your own links. What are you smoking? That is a Verizon carrier-locked handset hoss. "completely free and clear" indeed. Samsung only lists USA carrier-locked Note 4 handsets on their (USA) website.

Prolly the 47th time I've posted this around here; Verizon doesn't carrier lock their phones. All of their LTE phones are unlocked out of the box and fully support T-Mo (except for maybe band 12 which only a few newly released phones support at the moment) and most AT&T bands. So you can indeed buy that Verizon Note 4 and pop a T-Mo SIM in it and be good to go, just might have to add their APNs to it.

Sooooo $50 more than the Nexus 6. I didn't realize that Samsung themselves were selling it for less than the carriers; perhaps an easier decision then for some. Still no stock android unless you are willing to go the third party ROM route. Definitely a great option though. Is this Verizon only? I can't seem to find an equivalent for Tmo, but perhaps there is an unlocked one for a GSM carrier that works on Tmo..

Whoops my bad, got confused with the Nexus 9 and was thinking the Nexus 6 was 16/32 for 650/700. That being said, you are paying 700 for 32GB internal + the microSD storage slot so some might say you are getting more storage than even the 64GB Nexus 6.

Sorry hoss, you're wrong.

Prolly the 47th time I've posted this around here; Verizon doesn't carrier lock their phones. All of their LTE phones are unlocked out of the box and fully support T-Mo (except for maybe band 12 which only a few newly released phones support at the moment) and most AT&T bands. So you can indeed buy that Verizon Note 4 and pop a T-Mo SIM in it and be good to go, just might have to add their APNs to it.

As T4rd correctly points out the phone is not carrier locked to Verizon. It supports all the USA GSM bands and can be used on T-mobile or ATT just by dropping in the appropriate SIM. You will not get LTE with ATT, and may have limited T-mobile LTE coverage though.

Overall I think the GN4 is a much better buy than the Nexus 6. Kind of disappointed in the Nexus 6 with the high price, mediocre battery life, and poor screen brightness. It had great potential and seemingly pulled up lame just short of the finish line.

Two T-Mobile stores this past weekend and none of the reps seemed to know what I was talking about with the N6. No demos or anything.

I'm thinking I'm gonna give it a rest for now and stick with my N5 and N7 2013 and wait for L to finally appear as system updates. I think google really screwed the pooch on this release and I got more important things to worry about now.

This was already posted a few pages back but...

Tmo pushed the release date back to Nov 19th. http://www.tmonews.com/2014/11/nexu...ntil-1119-thanks-to-failed-motorola-delivery/

There was also a list going around that showed what stores were actually getting phones in stock and which stores were getting just demo units. http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus6/comments/2lthl6/internal_list_of_tmobile_stores_that_will_have/ So you may want to check the stores in your area to see if they're even getting any, if you haven't already.

With all these delays, I'm wondering how soon devices with a Snapdragon 810 with a be. Should be an improvement to the biggest concerns with a N6, namely battery life & performance (trying to drive so many pixels).

810 is going to murder battery life if they don't get it on a smaller process. I'm also not holding my breath in when it releases, Qualcomm has delayed all major SoC upgrades.

With all these delays, I'm wondering how soon devices with a Snapdragon 810 with a be. Should be an improvement to the biggest concerns with a N6, namely battery life & performance (trying to drive so many pixels).

You'll probably have to wait until the spring. Qualcomm said they'd show up in the "first half of 2015," and we know by now that big manufacturers like Samsung and HTC tend to wait until around March or April to ship their flagships.

I'd actually blame some of the Nexus 6's relatively sub-par battery life (and possibly performance) on Google rather than the hardware. The company doesn't do a lot of optimization compared to its OEMs, so you're potentially missing out. With that said, a lot of Android manufacturers love to hop on technology before it's truly ready (Samsung's smartwatches, anyone?)...

^ I don't know, Lollipop does feel snappier on my 1st gen Nexus7. Definitely less pauses/ swapping going on and background processes & network seem a lot better tamed.

810 is going to murder battery life if they don't get it on a smaller process. I'm also not holding my breath in when it releases, Qualcomm has delayed all major SoC upgrades.

20nm is essential. I think the current SoC kept the Nexus6 from being a truly great device. Maybe I was expecting too much. Still, I'm fine with a Nexus 5 for the time being.

I didn't mean to insinuate that the 805 was the reason for poor battery performance on the Nexus 6, I honestly think it's a combination of using a poor screen and software.

I didn't mean to insinuate that the 805 was the reason for poor battery performance on the Nexus 6, I honestly think it's a combination of using a poor screen and software.

According to reports of other people who got a 5.0 update on other devices so far... 5.0 makes for crappy battery life as of now.

In other news Motorola and Google have shaken up the cellular provider market...there's finally a more shitty company than Verizon. Sprint is refusing to activate Motorola-sold Nexus 6 IMEIs as of now.

In other news Motorola and Google have shaken up the cellular provider market...there's finally a more shitty company than Verizon. Sprint is refusing to activate Motorola-sold Nexus 6 IMEIs as of now.

You mean the Play Store Nexus 6 that makes literally zero mention of working on Sprint? Carrier not activating a phone not intended for their network, who know?!? Is this your first cell phone?

You mean the Play Store Nexus 6 that makes literally zero mention of working on Sprint?

The only Nexus 6 devices that Sprint claims can be activated on their network...as of now...are those devices sold by Google and those sold by Sprint stores themselves. All other Nexus 6 IMEIs are apparently not inside their white list, and will not work on their network.

As of right now, Motorola-direct sold Nexus 6 devices do not activate on Sprint. People have already bitched out Sprint who told them to complain to Motorola...whom Motorola got complained to, and are supposedly now venting at Sprint. Also one guy on XDA claims to be a Sprint repair tech and is looking into it.

According to reports of other people who got a 5.0 update on other devices so far... 5.0 makes for crappy battery life as of now.

I've seen that reported several places. My experience on the Nexus 5 has been the opposite- I used to lose 3-5%/hr while idling overnight. Since getting Lollipop, it's dropped to 1%/hr idling. My battery life has seen a significant improvement.

Really, I have no business even looking at a Nexus 6 right now. The Nexus 5 isn't annoying me yet. :)

Back