Nexus 6 32GB $350 64GB $400 From Amazon

Just a heads up .... this phone pays for itself in 12 months or less if you use Google Project Fi. 100% free. That's pretty amazing for such a high-end phone compared to the $700 and $800+ iPhone 6 on their $70 - $90 - $110+ a month plans.

This is taking into account you only use 1gb of data. If you're on wifi at home and at work 70% of the time, then your bill will be $28 dollars a month. 30% would be 300meg and would cover a month of movie times, places to eat and checking email and facebook. If you watch any video at all, forget it and assume your bill is going to be around $40 - $45 a month.

If you use 1gb data your bill will be $35 dollars. 2gb of data $45 and 3gb of data $55. All mentioned amounts DO include fees and taxes.

Assuming the average cell phone bill is $70 a month, that's a savings of either $42 dollars or $35 dollars. If your phone bill is higher then add in the difference.

$42 x 12 = $504 savings

$35 x 12 = $420 savings

So on and so forth.

It doesn't get any better than this.

I've been on Project Fi for 3 months now and my savings have been around $60 dollars extra cash I've kept in my pocket. The lower amount is because I was using BYOS from Straight Talk ( ATT network ) for $55 a month with fees / taxes.

My bill is around $32 on average a month with fees / taxes

Just a heads up .... this phone pays for itself in 12 months or less if you use Google Project Fi. 100% free. That's pretty amazing for such a high-end phone compared to the $700 and $800+ iPhone 6 on their $70 - $90 - $110+ a month plans.

This is taking into account you only use 1gb of data. If you're on wifi at home and at work 70% of the time, then your bill will be $28 dollars a month. 30% would be 300meg and would cover a month of movie times, places to eat and checking email and facebook. If you watch any video at all, forget it and assume your bill is going to be around $40 - $45 a month.

If you use 1gb data your bill will be $35 dollars. 2gb of data $45 and 3gb of data $55. All mentioned amounts DO include fees and taxes.

Assuming the average cell phone bill is $70 a month, that's a savings of either $42 dollars or $35 dollars. If your phone bill is higher then add in the difference.

$42 x 12 = $504 savings

$35 x 12 = $420 savings

So on and so forth.

I've been on Project Fi for 3 months now and my savings have been around $60 dollars extra cash I've kept in my pocket. The lower amount is because I was using BYOS from Straight Talk ( ATT network ) for $55 a month with fees / taxes.

It's a good deal; but also somewhat hard to stick to 1gb/data less you go out of your way to do so. If you use ~2; T-Mobile is a bit cheaper if you have multiple people. I have 4 lines on a 'family' plan for ~110/mo after fees/taxes with 2.5gb data per line. Fi would give you a bit better network coverage; but if you're afraid to use it..

$42 x 12 = $504 savings

$35 x 12 = $420 savings

So on and so forth.

Also a heads up, Project Fi is in very early stages, and two of my coworkers had a very bad experience with it. Fantastic customer service, but it's still in it's infancy.

$42 x 12 = $504 savings

$35 x 12 = $420 savings

So on and so forth.

My bill is $311.71 all in on AT&T Family Share Plan.

30gb shared data with monthly rollover with unlimited calling and texting.

8 phones on the plan so it works out to $38.96/phone except the 8th phone I added to my plan was my mother who wanted to go AT&T Next for her iPhone 6 so her share of the bill is $60.03 so the total for the other 7 phones is $251.68 or $35.95/phone.

All of my family's phones are purchased outright from Swappa or here so we can take advantage of the $25/device line credit on the share plans greater than 10gb.

2-iPhone 6 Plus (one is mine but I switch between iOS and Android)
1-iPhone 6
3- iPhone 5s
1- iPhone 5
1- Galaxy S5

I don't believe I could save money by moving but can understand individual plans making sense but the way the share plans are structured now with incentives to BYOD or even do a Next type program and get the discount for doing so brings the plan price to what seems to be a reasonable amount now.

att BYOD plan with 15 GB of data shared = with work discount I pay 110 a month for two lines. That included rollover so we are at 25 Gb right now...added my new GM car (Regal GS AWD) for 10 a month to the shared data plan so I have a 2 ton router/hotspot :D

and I love my N6 - except it keeps unlocking in my pocket and I random thigh dial a lot.

Thanks, I'll check them out. Do you (or anyone) know if the Moto Pure X (granted, that it's not the subject of this thread) is available to check out at Verizon stores? Or just a purely online order? TIA.

Also a heads up, Project Fi is in very early stages, and two of my coworkers had a very bad experience with it. Fantastic customer service, but it's still in it's infancy.

I will second this response. I have been on Project Fi since the first invite roll out and it is quite buggy. When it works, everything is peachy. When it doesn't work, I have to remind myself that it is basically a beta test for a cell service.

I frequently have to flip my phone to airplane mode and back to get data working after leaving Wi-Fi. Cell service calls seems to take an odd priority over Wi-Fi calling even when the cell signal is weak. T-Mobile seems to take priority over Sprint even when Sprint has far better service. T-Mobile and Sprint repeaters in corporate buildings don't seem to work with Project Fi. The Fi Spy app and the custom dialer codes help with some of these oddities but not all.

And last but not least, the Nexus 6 is good but not great. The battery life was mediocre to begin with and is worse now on Project Fi. The phone is quite large and somewhat unwieldy for most people. If it wasn't for Touchwiz, I would say that the Note is a certainly a better "phablet".

I have had the Nexus 6 since the initial release and although I don't regret buying it, it definitely isn't in my list of favorite phones I have owned. For the price it is selling for here though, the $ -> value proposition improves quite a bit.

Just a heads up .... this phone pays for itself in 12 months or less if you use Google Project Fi.

Fi seems kind of pricey to me. I mean if you don't need data it's great. But $10 a month for each gig of data? T-mobile gives me 5 gigs of 4G LTE followed by unlimited 3g for $30 a month. Of course, you sacrifice talk time for that deal (100 minutes), but who talks on a phone these days anyway?

Ok guys. I have confession.

Lumia cheap windows 10 phone with LTE signal can do many things comparable for much less money.

IMO this phone is living on high bubble value. Technology and OS power is way beyond this.

Sorry Android Nexus fans.

I'll second that.

I'm currently using a Lumia 928 and it does everything I need a phone to do. I can't come up with a compelling reason to switch and I've tried. Maybe i don't know what I'm missing but as they say, where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise.

Lumia cheap windows 10 phone with LTE signal can do many things comparable for much less money.

IMO this phone is living on high bubble value. Technology and OS power is way beyond this.

I'll second that.

I'm currently using a Lumia 928 and it does everything I need a phone to do. I can't come up with a compelling reason to switch and I've tried. Maybe i don't know what I'm missing but as they say, where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise.

Sounds like it meets your personal needs, but it wouldn't suit mine. Let me give you a short list of apps that I frequently use and can't find for Windows Phone.

• Local credit union app
  • Health care app
  • Soundblaster X7 Control
  • Locus Pro OR OruxMaps for trail navigation
  • Playstation
  • Destiny
  • Producteev
  • Sling TV
  • Google Services (Inbox, Hangouts, Keep, Drive, etc)

Admittedly the Google Services almost all have alternatives in the Microsoft ecosystem, but I am pretty tied into the Google apps at this point. With that said, blanket statements like "Windows Phone does everything a cell phone should do" just doesn't really cut it. Many people use cell phones for a lot more than just the basics and I only spent a minute throwing together this list of apps that I use a lot that do not have comparable solutions.

Sounds like it meets your personal needs, but it wouldn't suit mine. Let me give you a short list of apps that I frequently use and can't find for Windows Phone.

• Local credit union app
  • Health care app
  • Soundblaster X7 Control
  • Locus Pro OR OruxMaps for trail navigation
  • Playstation
  • Destiny
  • Producteev
  • Sling TV
  • Google Services (Inbox, Hangouts, Keep, Drive, etc)

Admittedly the Google Services almost all have alternatives in the Microsoft ecosystem, but I am pretty tied into the Google apps at this point. With that said, blanket statements like "Windows Phone does everything a cell phone should do" just doesn't really cut it. Many people use cell phones for a lot more than just the basics and I only spent a minute throwing together this list of apps that I use a lot that do not have comparable solutions.

Yep, that's why we have so many choices. Ain't it great? :D

Except Windows has none of the apps and is a failing platform. Basically it is throwing your money away.

Sorry Windows Mobile fans, but your app store is complete garbage from my experience. Great hardware though?

Sorry Windows Mobile fans, but your app store is complete garbage from my experience. Great hardware though?

po2Nc5F.gif

Zarathustra[H];1041873212 said:
To each their own.

I'd agree, that hardware-wise the Nexus 6 is starting to show its age, but the truth is you couldn't pay me to use a Windows phone.

How exactly is it showing its age? I have a Nexus 5 and it still screams through everything I throw at it.

How exactly is it showing its age? I have a Nexus 5 and it still screams through everything I throw at it.

Yeah, I got my numbers wrong.

I was totally thinking we were talking about the one that was made by LG and was similar to the G2. Turns out that was the 5...

The 6 is still a strong performer. If it weren't so damned huge, I might have considered one. To me a 4.8" screen, like that of the Samsung Galaxy S3 is perfect. I can put up with slightly larger, but the 5.2" of my Droid Turbo is just a bit too large IMHO, and I have pretty large hands.

One of the first things I test on a phone is single handed use. Can I hold it with the base corner resting in my palm, and reach the opposite top corner of the screen with my thumb. If the answer is yes, then I'm OK with it. If the answer is no, then it's too big, and I'll never buy it.

I think the first gen Moto X at 4.7" is the perfect size. Too bad that is a minority now.

Except Windows has none of the apps and is a failing platform. Basically it is throwing your money away.

FWIW I use only the chatting app, weather and navigation, as well as checking email on my phone. I do my banking in person or on my computer(because I prefer not having to enlarge tiny text on the phone to see where the heck I'm typing), and my music listening on the go is strictly limited to streaming some oversea shoutcast(yeah yeah I know it's old), so an iphone(JB or not) suits me just fine.

Having said that, I might end up buying the 5X or wait for the Sony Z6 to come out, but really, my work and important tasks are done at work and home, so my next phone can be any of the three..err I mean four.

To each their own.

Project Astoria for porting APK apps to Windows 10.

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/bridges/android

MS is holding their hand out to APK developers to help them. As a developer it makes sense to reach as many users as possible and with Microsoft Support developers can reach a larger market.

Microsoft is supporting max users on windows phones by providing developer support.

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/bridges

I'm happy with my $80 windows/LTE phone for most of my apps usage. I also use an Android 8" display tablet. I can share my LTE data signal from my cheap robust Windows phone with my Android tablet and any notebook.

I don't see myself ever spending over $200 for a phone again. Just not needed for my needs.

It is good to have choices though.

wouldyouhititjimcarrey2012.jpg

Last edited:
If you are around wifi a lot, project FI can be okay. I have Unlimited data 2 lines with unlimeted call/text from tmobile for 105$ with taxes. Thats also True unlimited data. Even though we don't use a lot (average about 5-10GB per month each) which would cost way more on Project-FI.

Back