Nexus 4 phone price drop - 8/16gb for $200/250 no contract

thanks OP!
My wife's old Motorola just died and needed a new phone. I am going to set her up with the $45 Straight Talk plan since they have better coverage than Virgin Mobile in my area.

When you enable LTE, whether through the testing menu or the toggle in the rom the connection is reliable provided you have a good LTE signal in your area. The only issue I am finding is that the phone refuses to drop down to HSPA unless the LTE signal is completely lost. Also, when it does drop to down to H, I do not think it is HSPA but something else which is slower.

However, if you turn off LTE again either through a toggle or the testing menu the phone will run on HSPA and provide a fast connection than when LTE is enabled and it drops to H.

In my case. I have a shit LTE signal in my house. It refuses to drop to H and I can never get any phone calls. I have to turn off LTE in order to have it drop down to HSPA and work reliably. Outside the house, LTE works just as good if not better.

I think this is the biggest problem with the hack. It is not very intelligent because it was never meant to be used so the system can work only one way or the other.

Thats my take.

Thanks for this experience report. I was wondering about the fallback, so this report saves me the hassle of rooting and flashing and all that just to find out precisely this downside.

Thanks for this experience report. I was wondering about the fallback, so this report saves me the hassle of rooting and flashing and all that just to find out precisely this downside.

Glad I could be of help.

As of yesterday I have given up on LTE on this phone. I rarely browse the web for extended periods of time requiring faster speeds anyway and getting phone calls, emails and texts at home is much more important.

ok guys!!!

obviously many of us have bought in and have a nexus on the way.... so for those of you that have HAD one -- what are the worthwhile accessories worth purchasing? Looking for a nice slim case, a rugged case, and possibly wireless charger.

i bought a hybrid chinese case off ebay (2 pieces, one soft rubber inside, hard plastic outside), the ones on the store are pretty expensive for what they are, plus the shipping charges are outrageous and i would have to pay CA tax on them

ok guys!!!

obviously many of us have bought in and have a nexus on the way.... so for those of you that have HAD one -- what are the worthwhile accessories worth purchasing? Looking for a nice slim case, a rugged case, and possibly wireless charger.

This is my second device with wireless charging and it's a terrible gimmick because you'll often end up draining your battery faster unless you have it aligned perfectly. Do some googling and you'll find that the internet mostly agrees with that sentiment.

ok guys!!!

Rearth Ringke Slim.

Otterbox Commuter/Defender.

As for wireless charging, it's dumb.

I got ballistic case. Looks good and feels rugged and safe. Also got a nice screen protector film that wad on sale.

So heres a fun discovery. On the latest modem I am hitting close to the same speeds on HSPA as on LTE; 21 vs 25.

I use the bumper case from the Play Store. Fits snugly and looks like it came on the phone. I gave up on cheap eBay cases, there are some good knockoffs but also a lot of total shit.

The genuine bumpers are really the only ones worth getting. First thing is that they look like part of the phone. Second thing is most drops are at the edges so you are fully covered.

Last but not least most cases make the phone look cheap, don't fit well, or interfere with functionality. I know since I've tried several.

Wonder if Google will backorder them or was this to clean out inventory for good?

This is my second device with wireless charging and it's a terrible gimmick because you'll often end up draining your battery faster unless you have it aligned perfectly. Do some googling and you'll find that the internet mostly agrees with that sentiment.

I don't have any experience with the Nexus 4 wireless charging setup, but I do have many years of experience with the Palm Pre line with wireless charging, and overall, it worked great. That is at the top of my desired features list, but other than my Pre 3, there's not current phone Verizon phone that I would want to own that has wireless charging.

Wonder if Google will backorder them or was this to clean out inventory for good?

I really think this is a clearance salel to prepare for Nexus 5.

It's been great using the Nexus 4 over the last few days at work and life. Much more stable and dependable than the Samsung Galaxy 2 it replaced. It's great to have a good working cell phone to talk. I was going nuts dealing with the Tmobile Samsung GS2.

I have yet to try the LTE hack for Tmobile.

Last edited:
The office blocks a lot of signal, good health wise i guess heh heh, and unless an ATT phone has LTE cannot make calls and also miss incoming calls at times. Am tempted but also am curious at NX5.

HSPA has been fast enough for me, I am on straight talk and have the AT&T SIM Card. $46.62 per month after taxes and fees for unlimited everything.

I use an Energizer Qi for wireless charging and it works very well

I purchased a cheap clear $1.72 protector for my phone, thin enough to not add bulk but I have dropped this phone a couple times since having it on launch and its done its job in protecting it.

My only complaint is every now and then I lose internet, even with full signal strength, its an AT&T bug, if this happens to you just put your phone in airplane mode, then take it out and it will refresh (this also works if for some reason you have a really low signal yet there's a tower somewhat close) and its much faster than turning the phone off/on again.

Camera, screen rez/clarity/brightness, volume level, speed is great, no complaints.

Battery life wasn't that good when I first got the phone, after an update a couple months later it was substantially better. As of right now 17 hours since charge with moderate usage and I have 70% battery life.

HSPA has been fast enough for me, I am on straight talk and have the AT&T SIM Card. $46.62 per month after taxes and fees for unlimited everything.

I use an Energizer Qi for wireless charging and it works very well

I purchased a cheap clear $1.72 protector for my phone, thin enough to not add bulk but I have dropped this phone a couple times since having it on launch and its done its job in protecting it.

My only complaint is every now and then I lose internet, even with full signal strength, its an AT&T bug, if this happens to you just put your phone in airplane mode, then take it out and it will refresh (this also works if for some reason you have a really low signal yet there's a tower somewhat close) and its much faster than turning the phone off/on again.

Camera, screen rez/clarity/brightness, volume level, speed is great, no complaints.

Battery life wasn't that good when I first got the phone, after an update a couple months later it was substantially better. As of right now 17 hours since charge with moderate usage and I have 70% battery life.

I thought the internet issue was the S2!!! Does it also happen on the iphone?

I am tempted but also am thinking of the nx5...

So, how much does it impact the phone's performance to use the encrypt option?

Last edited:
Makes no sense for me to get this, my S2 on t mobile is paid for and my t mobile and att service at home are terrible.

just got mine and wife loves it. Straight Talk is actually pretty good for my area too.

Back