Nexus 4 phone price drop - 8/16gb for $200/250 no contract

Only verizon gets a signal at my house so I am stupid and ignorant. Oh wait... that would be you for your comment. There are reasons people choose att and verizon (I still haven't figure out why people choose sprint). Verizon is the only carrier that has service all the places where I need service. Now if I wanted to call people stupid and ignorant on the forums and pay money to not get service I would go with straight talk.

FWIW, I got a MicroCell from AT&T for free ($0 + $0/month) because I didn't get good service in my house. Now I get 5 bars and faster speeds without using WiFi.

FWIW, I got a MicroCell from AT&T for free ($0 + $0/month) because I didn't get good service in my house. Now I get 5 bars and faster speeds without using WiFi.

They aren't going to give you one of those if you are on straight talk AT&T though.

If someone doesn't respond about their gnexus I'm ordering this tonight

Will this make the verizon lte work as well?

Will this make the verizon lte work as well?

I'm guessing not... unless that chip supports all LTE bands (which the only one I'm aware of is the one they're using in the Nexus 7-2)

Nice phone, too bad Goggle dislikes local storage and does not offer sd card support. Still I wish all phones were sold on the open market versus mostly bundled with service. That and that all phones must be unlockable so software can be upgraded, at least when the vendor stops offering updates.

Yes yes rooting, but ...

Nice phone, too bad Goggle dislikes local storage and does not offer sd card support. Still I wish all phones were sold on the open market versus mostly bundled with service. That and that all phones must be unlockable so software can be upgraded, at least when the vendor stops offering updates.

Yes yes rooting, but ...

You can always get Galaxy S4 Google Edition... there's your SD card slot. :)

It's quite a bit more money though.

What's freaking hilarious is I go onto craigslist to see what people are listing their Nexus 4's for. I am still seeing ads for $300 for the 8GB version, even the scammer ads are priced higher than the new pricing! I know it's only been a day, but still.

That's craigslist for ya, always over pricing shit hoping someone will buy it

The Nexus 4 is pretty tempting, tho lacking a micro sd slot is slightly off putting. Then there's these stories of breaking either glass side from 2 inch drops to changes in temperature. What are some personal experiences with the Nexus 4's durability?

That's craigslist for ya, always over pricing shit hoping someone will buy it

Quite a bit is hoping no one finds out about the sale while they can unload them NIB, if they can't no biggy got a receipt just return it, box unopened. I mean when Toys'R'Us got out of the PC video game market and sold Diablo 3 for $10 how many people here went to every Toys'R'US store they could get to and bought up every copy they had only to resell them at a huge markup later?

Hah I'm a fool for ordering that HTC One S. Luckily I saw this before I received it. Going straight back into the mail the second I get my RMA #.

Quite a bit is hoping no one finds out about the sale while they can unload them NIB, if they can't no biggy got a receipt just return it, box unopened. I mean when Toys'R'Us got out of the PC video game market and sold Diablo 3 for $10 how many people here went to every Toys'R'US store they could get to and bought up every copy they had only to resell them at a huge markup later?
That D3 example doesn't really apply when that was just a door buster sale with extremely limited stock(Microsoft did the same thing sold out in hours); not an actual mark down on the retail price. With the Nexus 4 8gb you'll never see the retail price above 200, while D3 you'll continue to see a retail price that is higher than $10. Just because something was on a very limited sale doesn't mean the value of the product goes down. In short, a limited amount of people got lucky and got a $60 game for $10 then sold it for retail; far different than buying a product at retail and reselling above retail. However, I would justify that most of the people who already own a Nexus 4 aren't actively looking at the retail price and are just basing their prices off outdated listings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up about this. In for one. :)

Any recommendations on best way to root it?

Great price for the phone, been using one for a while now. Don't drop it though (duh right?)... it doesn't hold up as well as others in a drop test. Now... nobody wants to drop their phone... but the nexus 4 is really slippery.

Also, get a case.

I've dropped mine a couple times, once onto concrete from waist height, luckily landed on the edge, which is a softer plastic. Scuffs, but no cracks or scratches. :D

I have mine in a TPU case. Works great, keeps the phone from being slick. Best of all, only cost about 10 bucks.

As far as I know this is illegal.

I was going to say that too, VERY illegal. Doesn't matter if the ESN you're swapping is one for a phone that belongs to you, either. No bueno.

How do they even catch you though? Its all prepaid, like burner phones from Breaking Bad lol

So quick question(s):

- If one enables LTE function (from my understanding, the preferred method is to use a hybrid radio, usually 0.33/0.8X - I'm looking at the AOSPA (paranoid android) ROM mentioned in this thread) - is the connection still reliable?

I have read that simply downgrading to 0.33 radio negatively affects HSPA connection reliability and possibly performance.

I'm just wondering how the hybrid radio solution is perceived with regard to (under both LTE and HSPA):

- connection stability
- performance
- switching between LTE and non-LTE.

T-mobile network, SoCAL, for reference. LTE hasn't quite reached my city yet...but it will soon, apparently.

Thanks for any clarification.

Last edited:
HSPA+ is pretty fast if you are not a heavy user. in DC/VA you can get up to 30Mbps/10Mbps, but it's usually around 15/2 on average.

Damn. I would have waited about two months if I knew this would happen. I doubt it will really affect resale value in the long run though, unless Google continues to sell the Nexus 4 after the Nexus 5 comes out, which I think is unlikely...

Bought one of these to replace an iPhone 4. Great upgrade for us no-contract people.

Perfect timing! I dropped my GNEX on tile and cracked the screen 2 days ago :(

In for 1, thanks :)

I received my phone today, fast shipping!

First impressions: I wouldn't say this is night and day faster than my Nexus, but the difference is definitely noticeable. Moving between apps is much smoother.

I received my phone today, fast shipping!

First impressions: I wouldn't say this is night and day faster than my Nexus, but the difference is definitely noticeable. Moving between apps is much smoother.

mine shows it will be delivered on tuesday :(
ups is damn slow to cali, i have gotten usps packages way faster from NY, this one comes from KY

Any thoughts on the Nexus 5 and its rumors? Then there's the thought that a faster and larger screened 5 coming out soon for maybe $50 more than the 16GB Nexus 4, maybe wait a little longer?

Thanks for this. Saved me from purchasing a Samsung GS4. I really needed a new phone, my current one likes to restart itself not to mention I've tried new batteries and that didn't help.

Kudos OP, I receive mine tomorrow or Monday.

Just got my new Nexus 4 up and running. So far it is working great with Tmobile. I haven't had time to root it yet but plan on doing it soon to get the LTE radio working. After it started up the system updated to Android 4.3.

The display isn't as nice as the Galaxy 2 AMOLED display that it is replacing but it feels so much more responsive than my Galaxy 2 that I never rooted. My Galaxy 2 was full of bloat software that I hated. I went through about 6 Galaxy 2 replacements with Tmobile trying to get one that would work. Tmobile sent me text messages to upgrade to an LTE phone to take advantage of the improved LTE network. I really didn't want to but the service really got crappy over the last few months. So this Nexus 4 will hopefully work for me.

I didn't know that I had to change my SIM card from my Galaxy 2 because the size is different.

I used this template to modify my SIM card and it worked.

http://www.thechinacellphone.com/micro_sim_template.pdf

Last edited:
Youre lucky that trick worked. For some reason my wife and I had old sim cards and it did not except them after I cut them down. However, T-Mo will send you free sim cards if you call them. I went to a nearby store that gave me two free cards. But not before I hassled the guy for them. Fuckers.

So quick question(s):

- If one enables LTE function (from my understanding, the preferred method is to use a hybrid radio, usually 0.33/0.8X - I'm looking at the AOSPA (paranoid android) ROM mentioned in this thread) - is the connection still reliable?

I have read that simply downgrading to 0.33 radio negatively affects HSPA connection reliability and possibly performance.

I'm just wondering how the hybrid radio solution is perceived with regard to (under both LTE and HSPA):

- connection stability
- performance
- switching between LTE and non-LTE.

T-mobile network, SoCAL, for reference. LTE hasn't quite reached my city yet...but it will soon, apparently.

Thanks for any clarification.

When you enable LTE, whether through the testing menu or the toggle in the rom the connection is reliable provided you have a good LTE signal in your area. The only issue I am finding is that the phone refuses to drop down to HSPA unless the LTE signal is completely lost. Also, when it does drop to down to H, I do not think it is HSPA but something else which is slower.

However, if you turn off LTE again either through a toggle or the testing menu the phone will run on HSPA and provide a fast connection than when LTE is enabled and it drops to H.

In my case. I have a shit LTE signal in my house. It refuses to drop to H and I can never get any phone calls. I have to turn off LTE in order to have it drop down to HSPA and work reliably. Outside the house, LTE works just as good if not better.

I think this is the biggest problem with the hack. It is not very intelligent because it was never meant to be used so the system can work only one way or the other.

Thats my take.

I've called to complain about this. I'm in an apartment building, where my wife's Virgin Mobile (Sprint) phone works perfectly, while my AT&T phone drops calls and nobody can hear me.

AT&T suggested I buy the microcell for $200. Good deal!

As soon as the contracts up I would love to pick up the Nexus and give T-Mobile a try, to see if they at least work in our apartment

I've called to complain about this. I'm in an apartment building, where my wife's Virgin Mobile (Sprint) phone works perfectly, while my AT&T phone drops calls and nobody can hear me.

AT&T suggested I buy the microcell for $200. Good deal!

As soon as the contracts up I would love to pick up the Nexus and give T-Mobile a try, to see if they at least work in our apartment

Tmobile gave me a microcell as well after I complained of poor reception for months. I didn't even ask them for it. Tmobile works hard at keeping you happy but ultimately the signal quality is what matters most. In my area Verizon seems to have the best signal quality and if they weren't so expensive I would get Verizon LTE.

Back