Nexus 4: Micro-Sim Q's, HSPA+ 42 Q

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so i currently have the Tmobile G2 (stock). I am thinking strongly about getting the Nexus 4. I however have never dealt with anything other than a standard SIM. If i go to T-Mobile (Store) to have them cut down my SIM, do they offer the adapter so i can put in the newly Micro-SIM card into my old G2 if anything ever happens to my N4?

What level of "4G" do i get with the N4 with T-Mobile? To get HSPA+ 42 would i have to get some 4G plan addition to my contract?
Currently i have the now unavailable "Unlimited 3G Android Data Plan", and my G2 is HSPA+ compatible so sometimes when i get the signal, i get "4G" HSPA+ data.

Some additional questions if anyone knows the answer to, would be great:

1-Will Google/LG make a wireless charging dock? Depending on price i am tempted to get one considering i plan on the N4 being my phone for at least the next 2-3 years, and wireless charging just seems so damn convient.

2-I have the TF700T and got a Micro-HDMI adapter for it, the N4 looks to have "Slimport HDMI"...to use that (never heard of SlimPort) I will need another adapter wont I?

3-I heard it was suspected the N4 has a multi-color light that blinks when you have notifications, anyone know if thats comfirmed?

Read the Nexus 4 review one engadget and on the Verge.

T-mobile would not cut down your sim!!! The idea of them hacking up a sim to fit is simply absurd. They can swap out your full size sim for a micro sim.

Google would offer a wireless charged with the phone...this one is kind of like a duh, one!

The phone uses an MHL enabled micro USB port like 95% of phones now. You use an adapt with that to output to HDMI.

The answers I left out it because I cant give you a definite answer

My understanding from the reviews/press release (as far as wireless charging) is that the wireless charging dock is included with the phone. Your question is making me look into a bit further though.

Ok and when they swap it out, can they offer the adapter so my new Micro-SIM can be put into my G2? Or i have to find a adapter on ebay or something?

I wouldnt have thought it was a duh, i know the phone manufacturers tend to make a crap ton of accessories but i havent bought or payed much attention to the things Google releases on their own.

Ok so its actually a micro USB port that can output video...so i will want a micro-USB adapter? That is MHL enabled? Idk....will google sell one? Hopefully they will.

Turbo: Basically i think no it doesnt, i just watched the unboxing on AndroidCentral last night and it was the Phone, USB cord and Wall Charger. Thats all, no headphones, no wireless dock. I wouldnt have thought so anyways cause i assume they will be expensive (>$40 im guessing). (Havent ever looked at their actual pricing).

Ok so its actually a micro USB port that can output video...so i will want a micro-USB adapter? That is MHL enabled? Idk....will google sell one? Hopefully they will.

MHL adapters are all over ebay... you can get a generic one for like $10 - $15 or something. I think Monoprice even sells their own version now.

yep monoprice has an mhl adapter for about 10 bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10833&cs_id=1083314&p_id=8675&seq=1&format=2

also, about cutting down the SIM's, AT&T customers can have their sim cut down so i don't see why t-mobile wouldn't do it. if for some reason you cant get them to do it though they sell sim cutters all over the internet. Hell if you're feeling crafty you can do it yourself with improvised tools.

Google would offer a wireless charged with the phone...this one is kind of like a duh, one!

Nope, not an included accessory (it's a $300 device - you aren't getting shit bundled with it)

The phone uses an MHL enabled micro USB port like 95% of phones now. You use an adapt with that to output to HDMI.

Nope, it doesn't have MHL, it has SlimPort - the OP was correct on that one: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/nexus-4-boasts-slimport-support/

What level of "4G" do i get with the N4 with T-Mobile? To get HSPA+ 42 would i have to get some 4G plan addition to my contract?
Currently i have the now unavailable "Unlimited 3G Android Data Plan", and my G2 is HSPA+ compatible so sometimes when i get the signal, i get "4G" HSPA+ data.

Basically the same thing as your G2, just with support for a faster tier with HSPA+ 42. I don't believe there is a different plan or anything extra you have to pay.

1-Will Google/LG make a wireless charging dock? Depending on price i am tempted to get one considering i plan on the N4 being my phone for at least the next 2-3 years, and wireless charging just seems so damn convient.

Of course, they've already shown it off - looks like the Palm Pre's TouchStone charger. Alternatively, it supports Energizer's Qi wireless charging standard - so you can go buy a charging pad off of Amazon right now if you want.

2-I have the TF700T and got a Micro-HDMI adapter for it, the N4 looks to have "Slimport HDMI"...to use that (never heard of SlimPort) I will need another adapter wont I?

Yup, or you can use wireless display (Miracast) with the N4 - that'll probably be a more expensive adapter, though.

3-I heard it was suspected the N4 has a multi-color light that blinks when you have notifications, anyone know if thats comfirmed?

Yes, confirmed - same placement as on the Galaxy Nexus as well (below the screen)

WTF @ SlimPort, why are we changing ports again? I understand MHL scaled back device complexity by combining it into one port, and would even simplify the connection since newer TVs come w/MHL enabled HDMI ports so you'd just need a single USB->HDMI cable that would even charge the phone (from the TV)... Now there's SlimPort based on DisplayPort, huh? Meanwhile Motorola's still using microHDMI, heh.

Nope, not an included accessory (it's a $300 device - you aren't getting shit bundled with it)

Nope, it doesn't have MHL, it has SlimPort - the OP was correct on that one: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/nexus-4-boasts-slimport-support/

Basically the same thing as your G2, just with support for a faster tier with HSPA+ 42. I don't believe there is a different plan or anything extra you have to pay.

Of course, they've already shown it off - looks like the Palm Pre's TouchStone charger. Alternatively, it supports Energizer's Qi wireless charging standard - so you can go buy a charging pad off of Amazon right now if you want.

Yup, or you can use wireless display (Miracast) with the N4 - that'll probably be a more expensive adapter, though.

Yes, confirmed - same placement as on the Galaxy Nexus as well (below the screen)

-I think i will go with the official Google Nexus one. Does that mean though i can use the Google Nexus wireless dock charger for other things that can wireless charge? Like Energizer products?

-So its either Miracast adapter or the SlimPort adapter which i will then use a HDMI-HDMI cable to plug into the monitor/TV i want? Ok. I'll check out the Monoprice option.

-I dont totally get the MiraCast, does the adapter plug into the TV (or monitors) HDMI port so the N4 can wirelessly put my screen to that screen? I could see going that way, depending on the lag/performance.

Thanks for your other answers they were good.

WTF @ SlimPort, why are we changing ports again? I understand MHL scaled back device complexity by combining it into one port, and would even simplify the connection since newer TVs come w/MHL enabled HDMI ports so you'd just need a single USB->HDMI cable that would even charge the phone (from the TV)... Now there's SlimPort based on DisplayPort, huh? Meanwhile Motorola's still using microHDMI, heh.

Ya it really sucks they can all just get together and come up with a industry wide standard. But Apples numbers are proof they make big bucks just by selling adapters for their new port.

The only thing im still not sure about is the whole SIM-Card thing. Im thinking the way to go is get the phone, go to the Tmobile store and get my sim transferred to a micro-SIM and then buy a Micro-SIM-Adapter. Im looking on Amazon and every Micro-SIM-Card adapter has bad reviews saying it ruined their slot. Not a fan of this. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Apple's a totally different situation tho, Apple actually charges 3rd party manufacturer royalty fees on the use of the adapter design and specs... And of course Apple sells their own adapters for like $30 and $40 a pop for any random thing. HTC/Moto/LG aren't making any money off these things. MHL replaced microHDMI for technical reasons, dunno what's the point of this new connector ('specially if it won't also charge from newer TVs).

Apple's a totally different situation tho, Apple actually charges 3rd party manufacturer royalty fees on the use of the adapter design and specs... And of course Apple sells their own adapters for like $30 and $40 a pop for any random thing. HTC/Moto/LG aren't making any money off these things. MHL replaced microHDMI for technical reasons, dunno what's the point of this new connector ('specially if it won't also charge from newer TVs).

No i agree, at the very LEAST, all of the Android devices should have a standard. And when it changes they should ALL change. For example they should have all had micro-HDMI...and now with the change to SlimPort being the future...they should ALL starting from the N4 have Slimport. Seems like something that should be included in this Android Alliance, and also though it seems like maybe people wouldnt notice...i think it would be a pro every Android user has in their back pocket. "I like how Android isnt fragmented even in their ports, it use to be some phones had Mini HDMI, some had Micro, others had this...some had that...now they all have the same thing, and when something new comes along, they ALL change together. I respect that, they come off unified under the Android Flag and Leadership of Google".

-I think i will go with the official Google Nexus one. Does that mean though i can use the Google Nexus wireless dock charger for other things that can wireless charge? Like Energizer products?

Yes - it's Energizer's Qi wireless charging standard.

-I dont totally get the MiraCast, does the adapter plug into the TV (or monitors) HDMI port so the N4 can wirelessly put my screen to that screen? I could see going that way, depending on the lag/performance.

Yeah, an adapter (probably way too expensive for its use) plugs into the TV and then your phone connects wirelessly to it. This is how Intel's WiDi works as well, although that's with laptops instead. It works surprisingly well for laptops from what I've seen, but IMHO nothing will beat the simplicity, speed, and hassle-free-ness of just plugging in a cable.

The only thing im still not sure about is the whole SIM-Card thing. Im thinking the way to go is get the phone, go to the Tmobile store and get my sim transferred to a micro-SIM and then buy a Micro-SIM-Adapter. Im looking on Amazon and every Micro-SIM-Card adapter has bad reviews saying it ruined their slot. Not a fan of this. Any recommendations or thoughts?

If T-Mo gives you grief about changing the SIM just cut the damn thing - that's what everyone with an iPhone does, it works fine.

I doubt Miracast streaming devices will be very expensive... I think one or two of Netgear's existing WiDi boxes are actually set to be Miracast certified and those are $50-70 depending on extra features (local streaming capabilities off the network, etc.).

HTC's proprietary device for this was a little more expensive ($80 I think? I bought it with a Sprint discount), and more limited and I've still gotten a ton of use out of it with my EVO LTE. It's far easier to stream photos from my phone (or Dropbox even) and be able to zoom in with a touchscreen and whatnot than it is with any dedicated box.

The Apple TV's what, $100? And people buy it almost exclusively for device streaming (it certainly isn't worth much on it's own unless you get to hacking it). I'm glad they're standardizing that kinda thing even if wired connections are ironically going the other direction.

T-mobile would not cut down your sim!!! The idea of them hacking up a sim to fit is simply absurd. They can swap out your full size sim for a micro sim.

I've read on the interwebz that TMo stores will and do cut SIMs to fit. I don't have first hand knowledge or experience though.

Not sure why they would, as they actually carry microsims in store. Seems like a waste of time and potential for issues.

Yes - it's Energizer's Qi wireless charging standard.

Yeah, an adapter (probably way too expensive for its use) plugs into the TV and then your phone connects wirelessly to it. This is how Intel's WiDi works as well, although that's with laptops instead. It works surprisingly well for laptops from what I've seen, but IMHO nothing will beat the simplicity, speed, and hassle-free-ness of just plugging in a cable.

If T-Mo gives you grief about changing the SIM just cut the damn thing - that's what everyone with an iPhone does, it works fine.

Yeah, it will really all depend on the cost and functionality (aka hows the quality and whats the lag like). I called Tmobile (had some Family Plan stuff to talk about) and asked about the Micro-SIM Card situation and the lady basically said go to the store and find out from them. I think cause its so easy i will just call the store today or tomorrow and ask them what their policy is.
Im still worried about the adapter situation. People say just buy one off Ebay, but when i search them on Amazon, a bunch come up, and they all have horrible reviews cause "when i put the adapter in with the Micro-SIM in it, it works fine, but when i pulled it out it took out the pins with it so my ____ doesnt work anymore!". Any recommendations?

Not sure why they would, as they actually carry microsims in store. Seems like a waste of time and potential for issues.

I've read on the interwebz that TMo stores will and do cut SIMs to fit. I don't have first hand knowledge or experience though.

Idk, i will find out and check back in here and tell you guys how it went.

SIM slots are not very complex, I honestly don't see how an adapter can screw one up unless it's very overengineered... I've even seen people just using a full size cut out card as an adapter.

Yeah, you're over thinking the SIM adapter stuff. You won't be going back to the G2 anyway, so why worry about it? And if you do break your N4 and need backup, worry about finding an adapter then.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back