Nextbit? Google, HTC vet prep 'friggin' awesome' smartphone for 9/1 launch

I don't really understand what he means by the phone will be better over time through software enhancements... Also really worried me about getting security updates. But this phone is on my radar as well. Nexus 5 (2015) and this can't come soon enough. I'm using an iPhone right now, and I really want to switch back as long as I would get quick security update and quick bug fixes. The HTC One M8's 5.0.x experience is ridiculously bad; it's Google's fault. 5.1 fixed it, but I had to root my phone to get it. And HTC is not going to update it until end of this year for the M8 model. And HTC is probably the second best at updating behind Motorola right now. This was one of the greatest driving factor for me to get the iPhone.

Last edited:
Better over time typically means rushed and unoptimized software at launch. ie AMD drivers. ;)

Nextbit is a small band of rebels who want to free people from the limits of today’s mobile technology

This is their claim. It's right in the middle of the page as you scroll down and seems to be their claim to how they are going to be different.

Anyone want to make a bet? I'll put down $20 in PayPal that the phone doesn't have at least one of these features that should be on every 2015 phone.

Nfc
Wireless charging
Front facing speakers
Micro sd card slot
1080x1920 screen that has decent viewing angles and good brightness
Some form of quick charging
Stock android or a very light modification like Motorola iteration of android.

I'm curious, but Nextbit comes across as another OnePlus: it's promising a lot, but whether or not it delivers is another matter.

9/1 is pretty close and no one has been talking about this phone until now? That seems pretty weird.

Early versions of this phone are showing up.

Lets see how my prediction ended up.

Nfc
Wireless charging
Front facing speakers
Micro sd card slot
1080x1920 screen that has decent viewing angles and good brightness
Some form of quick charging
Stock android or a very light modification like Motorola iteration of android.

Not terrible. I don't think they went in the right direction though. Infrequently used apps uninstall themselves to "save space". They did this to address the problem with phone storage. It ships with 32gb of internal storage and 100gb of cloud storage. I don't really understand how this will be useful because apps are generally only a few megabytes and wont free up too much space by removing them. To compound things, this system only works on wifi so if you are out and about and want to use an app that was automatically uninstalled, you are out of luck.

I like that they are trying to solve problems. I just don't think they went about fixing them the right way. A microsd slot would have made more sense.\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSbwNF6vF7U

To compound things, this system only works on wifi so if you are out and about and want to use an app that was automatically uninstalled, you are out of luck.

I checked out the youtube link you put up and it says it will work on Wifi and cell data.

It's a damn shame they couldn't fit a 3000mah battery

Another square phone, smh

Agreed. I would much prefer a phone in the shape of a triangle
triangle_tablet.png

Oh well, should be interesting to see the software enhancements Nextbit is promising.

The only cloud-first smartphone.
It gets smarter everyday and makes
running out of space history.

Instead I run into my data cap in record time. Unless telecoms change, this isn't going to end well.

Default settings use Wi-Fi...
Standard fare but not using the space saving tricks (that aren't very good in the first place) half the time isn't exactly exciting.

You know how you can end storage anxiety? 128GB storage default. But then you won't use their cloud services ever and give them a revenue stream, which is what this is really about.

I bit on a VZW one today... 32GB internal is plenty of storage for me, and it just seems like a cool concept to support. I have unlimited data so that makes the decision easier...

Its a start up making BIG promises. I don't buy a single word they are saying.

Phones are already nearly 100% cloud so sounds like hype and it kind of looks like a child's toy. Only attraction is the low $300-350 price and maybe non-carrier bloat but questionable if they'll be around to update it. Might as well get a Nexus without the risks.

That's a lot of big promises for a first product. I'm all for revolutionary new gear but most of them don't live up to the hype. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this succeeds but, personally, I'm happy with my iphone.

Here's the thing: I'm just happy that Nextbit's first phone is a genuinely competent, unique device. It's hard to stand out in the mobile world, even if you have veterans at the helm.

Here's the thing: I'm just happy that Nextbit's first phone is a genuinely competent, unique device. It's hard to stand out in the mobile world, even if you have veterans at the helm.

Very true. I really hope it doesn't ruin the company. Cheap phones are made that way to reduce the fallout if they fail. I'm holding my breath for this one. The mobile phone powerhouses need more competition.

Back