Next piece of gear...

SilverMK3

[H]ard|Gawd
After selling some of my old computer gear [FS Thread], I have ~$300 sitting in my paypal account and want to put it towards some photography toys :D

My first inclination is to pick up a used Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 ultra wide angle lens (for $300 locally), but I'm not totally sold on the benefits of a UWA... meaning I don't know how or when to use one yet. The downside to this is that it has a 77mm filter size so I'd be tempted to pick up a polarizer and maybe another R72 in that size

Is there any other must-have gear that I should consider first? Should I sell my 380EX flash unit and upgrade to a 430 or 580 instead? A battery grip? random filters?

Should I keep saving for a better quality lens?

Need ideas, thanks!

Current gear for my T1i :
Lenses: Canon 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.8
Filters: Hoya 58mm CPL, Hoya 58mm R72 Infrared, Hoya 52mm UV, 52-58mm step-up ring
Misc: KATA 3N1-20 bag, Gorillapod and fullsize tripod (cheap)

Last edited:
too many questions, and not enough info.

about the lens itself, i can't really say anything as i have not used it, but i do own a UWA Nikkor lens, so my experience is relevant. i use my lens primarily for landscape work and architecture. for what's it worth, all my latest pics from the Picture Thread have been taken with the said lens: link to my pics. a technical note: my lens, 14-24mm is 21-36mm effective on my crop camera. your 10-20mm, will be 16-32mm effective (assuming you're using a 1.6 Canon Crop camera). basically, you'll be able to go much, much wider which is a good thing. don't worry about this lens being a little slow, either. for this type of work, i rarely go below f/8.

as for the polarizer, be careful here. CP and UWA don't play nice together:

001kfh.jpg

LP may or may not be a solution to this problem, i have no real experience with any kind of filters with UWA. ND filters would be nice, though.

is there any other must-have gear that you should consider first? that only depends on what you already have and what are your needs, and what do you shoot. without that, it's really hard to suggest anything.

*Updated gear list in the original post*

I am definitely interested in Landscape photography, especially travel, and I'll mostly use it for that, though I'm also starting to warm up to portraiture. Should I be concerned about my flash being wide enough?

I'll check out your pics when I get home, unfortunately they're blocked at work :(

The Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 is a very good lens, but it certainly is not a walk-around lens due to it's solely wide-angle range.

First I would suggest getting rid of your 55-250mm lens. In all honesty, that is not a good lens. Next, you need to tell us what you mainly shoot (i.e. landscapes, travel photography, macro, portraits, wildlife, etc). That way, we can pinpoint a particular range that would be most useful to you.

For around ~$300, you can't really get anything of great quality. The Sigma is certainly a good buy for $300 but has limited use (as I mentioned above). Other lenses I would recommend are the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 (which you can probably find slightly used for around $300) or the Canon 17-40mm f/4L (~$600). If I were you, I would probably save up for some quality glass rather than just spending money for low-quality things. I would also definitely sell that 55-250mm Canon lens and use the money towards a quality purchase.

too many questions, and not enough info.

about the lens itself, i can't really say anything as i have not used it, but i do own a UWA Nikkor lens, so my experience is relevant. i use my lens primarily for landscape work and architecture. for what's it worth, all my latest pics from the Picture Thread have been taken with the said lens: link to my pics. a technical note: my lens, 14-24mm is 21-36mm effective on my crop camera. your 10-20mm, will be 16-32mm effective (assuming you're using a 1.6 Canon Crop camera). basically, you'll be able to go much, much wider which is a good thing. don't worry about this lens being a little slow, either. for this type of work, i rarely go below f/8.

as for the polarizer, be careful here. CP and UWA don't play nice together:

001kfh.jpg

LP may or may not be a solution to this problem, i have no real experience with any kind of filters with UWA. ND filters would be nice, though.

is there any other must-have gear that you should consider first? that only depends on what you already have and what are your needs, and what do you shoot. without that, it's really hard to suggest anything.

The solution to this is a graduated neutral density filter mounted in front of the lens. I have the Canon 10-22mm and the GND works great with it. Uniform skies and great colors.

PC_User, what don't you like about the 55-250mm IS? It seems to be the one I use most, I can get some great bokeh on portraits with it at longer focal lengths and it is much sharper than my sister-in-law's 70-300mm telephoto. I think I'd replace my kit lens before I replaced my telephoto.

For now I'm looking to get something wider before I start replacing focal ranges I already have with sharper models. Again, I'm just starting out (I've had the camera for ~3 months), so mainly I'm looking for a reason to justify picking up an ultra wide angle lens, or convincing that the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks for the tip on the CPLs though, I didn't realize they would have issues.

Again, I'm just starting out (I've had the camera for ~3 months), so mainly I'm looking for a reason to justify picking up an ultra wide angle lens, or convincing that the money would be better spent elsewhere.
to add to what have been said already, what are some of the shots that you think you might have missed in those three months, because of a missing lens? what are some of the shots that you took, but were not satisfied with them, because of your lens/strobe/whatever else? chances are, if you can't justify getting a $300 lens, you probably don't need it right now, and the money would be better invested elsewhere.

when i first started with digital photography, i worked with a basic 18-135mm kit lens for a year before figuring out what i want to do next. if you're satisfied with what you have right now, then keep shooting with it. once you start felling constrained by those lenses, you'll know exactly what you need, i guarantee it.

PC_User, what don't you like about the 55-250mm IS? It seems to be the one I use most, I can get some great bokeh on portraits with it at longer focal lengths and it is much sharper than my sister-in-law's 70-300mm telephoto. I think I'd replace my kit lens before I replaced my telephoto.

First of all, don't take this as criticism or any type of negativity directed towards you. I am speaking from a purely technical standpoint. First of all, the 55-250mm is a fine lens if it satisfies your needs. However, as you become a better photographer, your skill level will start to demand higher quality glass (i.e. EF 70-200mm f/4L). As a $230 lens, you pretty much get what you pay for. This review (and several others) can explain the shortcomings of the 55-250mm in more detail.

My original suggestion was for you to sell the 55-250mm (as it is truly not a very good lens), and possibly even the kit lens (which isn't too great either). Then, combine the proceeds from these sales (along with your $300) to purchase a good lens depending on your needs (telephoto, zoom, macro, wide angle). I assume you'll have around $600-700 afterwards, so that can get you the Canon 17-40mm f/4L or the Canon 70-200mm f/4L, both of which are excellent lenses and are part of a great set of lenses that can truly last you a lifetime.

Hey, I totally understand that it wasn't an attack. Just pointing out that I really like having a telephoto lens and I'd lose that range if I sold it in exchange for the 10-20mm.

I am, however, open to selling my kit lens and 50mm + accessories in exchange for something like the 17-40 f/4L or the new 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM because I'm still pretty heavily dependant on the Image Stabilization crutch. I don't like the non-stabilized 70-200mm f/4L for that very same reason, as it is even more important to have on a telephoto.

Any suggestions for a stabilized, wide replacement for the kit lens? Anything from Sigma or Tamron I should look at? Under $800 CAD please. Used is okay.

to add to what have been said already, what are some of the shots that you think you might have missed in those three months, because of a missing lens? what are some of the shots that you took, but were not satisfied with them, because of your lens/strobe/whatever else? chances are, if you can't justify getting a $300 lens, you probably don't need it right now, and the money would be better invested elsewhere.

when i first started with digital photography, i worked with a basic 18-135mm kit lens for a year before figuring out what i want to do next. if you're satisfied with what you have right now, then keep shooting with it. once you start felling constrained by those lenses, you'll know exactly what you need, i guarantee it.

I don't think I've really missed any, other than perhaps a few at the Notre-Dame Cathedral when I was in Montreal, but I suppose I could have stitched together a pano if it was really necessary. I don't know maybe I'm becoming less enthused with the idea of a UWA.

I'm going to Thailand and Cambodia at the end of November and thought it'd be cool to have something wide for the ruins, but maybe something sharper would be better.

Any suggestions for a stabilized, wide replacement for the kit lens? Anything from Sigma or Tamron I should look at? Under $800 CAD please. Used is okay.

For a 1.6x crop factor body, I would consider the following:
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 ~ $700USD
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 ~ $480 USD
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 ~ $650 USD

For around $700, I would choose the Canon 10-22mm for a bit more. The main problem with that lens (excellent wide angle lens, BTW) is that its an EF-S lens, meaning it will not work on Canon's full-frame bodies (5D, 5D MKII, 7D, etc). I have also heard good things about that Sigma.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would look at the Canon 10-22. I had the Sigma and it was okay, but that Canon 10-22 was "L" quality. It was super sharp, great contrast and colors. I sold mine for $500 when I switched all my bodies to FF. But I picked up a LN 17-40 for $500 and that works well.

UW is awesome, if you like that type of photography. Landscapes it's almost a must. General photography, walk around you might opt for a 17-40 or 24-105. I tried (in the beginning of shooting a true SLR (XT)), and tried all the cheap lens "Tamrons, Sigmas, etc" and finally decided to get a 24-105 for my XT. I should of done that in the beginning instead of trying to go "cheap". Honestly I would save if you have to, and get something that will last you for the long run......

I heard great things about the new canon 18-200 IS......

I would definitely take sharper, color, & contrast over the UWA any day of the week. The reason being is that if you something that is only sharp at a specific stop (ie. f/8, f/16, etc) then you are stuck working with those stops to get the sharpest image possible. Many of the lenses you noted have showed to be sharp across the board (not too familiar with the new 15-85mm) but will have some specific stops that are uber sharp. Out of those three lens I would probably go with the 17-40mm as the other two are new and still yet to be undefined in quality.

Also, noting that you have a new T1i, you will probably be better off with a high quality lens as something that is lesser quality will exacerbate the deficiencies of the lens AND body. With a high quality lens you will also have the added bonus that when you switch bodies it will more than like meet your needs then as well and will carry a higher resale value in the future.

If I sell my 18-55 and 50mm I was thinking of getting something like the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF], the Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM or the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM to replace them.

I don't know if I really need to go ultra-wide anymore. Something sharper might do me better.

Of those lenses, the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L is by far the best choice. First of all, it's an "L" lens and produces super sharp, stunning images. Second of all, it's probably a lens that you will keep for many many years, whereas the Canon EF-S 15-85mm is not compatible with full-frame bodies. I'm not a fan of most of Tamron's lenses and prefer to stick with Canon glass so I strongly suggest the 17-40mm f/4L of those choices.

Just wanna throw my 2 cents out. I picked up the sigma 10-20 and fell in love with it. Its a great price, and a lot of fun to use. Once i started using it, it hasnt left my bag.

I was moments away from buying a used Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, before I talked myself out of it and bought a set of snow tires instead :(

I wish I'd jumped on the used 10-20mm for $300, but I was too slow and someone else snapped it up. If I ever see one that cheap again I'm definitely going for it!

I own and use very heavily both the Sigma 10-20mm and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and I would highly recommend either of them. Yes the Canon 17-40L is an "L lens" and inherently it would appear to be superior, but the weight of the lens [especially on your smaller SLR] might be a drawback. While it does reproduce colors very vibrantly and its IQ is very sharp...I found it to be somewhat disappointing. Now this is obviously just my opinion, but when the time came for me to drop some coin on glass...it went in this order:
1] sell 18-55mm
2] buy Canon 50mm f/1.8
3] buy Canon 85mm f/1.8
4] sell Canon 50mm f/1.8
5] buy Canon 17-40L
6] sell Canon 17-40L
7] buy Sigma 30mm f/1.4
8] buy Canon 200mm f/2.8L
9] buy Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.
I bought every single one second hand [check out POTN] and saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars, and the glass was all stellar. I prefer the 6 year warranty of Tamron and the 3 year of Sigma to Canon's lame 1 year warranty, but nothing compares to the sharpness and blazing fast AF of my Canon 200m f/2.8L. I shoot a mix of everything-some portraits, some landscapes, a lot of sports [indoors with the 85mm, outdoors with the 200mm], some abstract...I found that I prefer primes to zooms as I enjoy having to work to find the good angles, I love fast AF, and the razor sharp DOF [especially in my Sigma 30mm]. I believe my next lens will be a zoom, most likely the 70-200mm f/2.8 as that is my biggest hole in my lineup for outdoor sports. If money wasn't an issue-I'd be all over Sigma's 120-300mm f/2.8! That lens is a beast.

I apologize for the long winded reply...what I really want to say is, if you buy used, you have the chance to try out a lot of different lenses and see for yourself what you like. You can read reviews but it's all about what feels right for you. There's always a market to buy and sell lenses...buy smart, take care of it, and then if you need/want to resell for no loss or even sometimes a nice gain. But better glass doesn't always equal better photos...learn how to use what you have until you find your equipment is holding you back-then upgrade. Whatever you decide to get, happy shooting!

I bought every single one second hand [check out POTN] and saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars, and the glass was all stellar.

I apologize for the long winded reply...what I really want to say is, if you buy used, you have the chance to try out a lot of different lenses and see for yourself what you like. You can read reviews but it's all about what feels right for you. There's always a market to buy and sell lenses...buy smart, take care of it, and then if you need/want to resell for no loss or even sometimes a nice gain. But better glass doesn't always equal better photos...learn how to use what you have until you find your equipment is holding you back-then upgrade. Whatever you decide to get, happy shooting!

Also, the FredMiranda BST board has a lot of great deals, as well as craigslist if your near a city. Im not sure about other areas, but philly / nyc cl always seems to have what im looking for at a price im willing to spend

Take a look at a Tokina 11-16mm -it seems to have better color and iq. Price is also very good if you can find one.
check out photography on the net.com they have a lens thread with most of common Canon lens.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I ended up picking up a used EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS from a seller on FredMiranda. I can't believe how sharp it is so far! :eek:

IMG_5985_1_604.JPG
IMG_5975_1_604.JPG
IMG_5977_1_604.JPG

The other thing I was blown away by was how expensive 77mm filters are :(
After shopping around I picked up a Hoya Pro1-D Protector filter and a Hoya HD Circular Polarizer for just over $200. I somehow convinced myself it was a good deal after realizing it would have cost me $375 for the two filters if I'd bought them locally.

Anyway I'm really not used to getting sharpness and bokeh like this at 55mm (wide open at f/2.8 of course). And the AF is faaast!
IMG_5948_1_604.JPG

In the future, use maxsaver for filters. They are in HK, but have a great track record and extremely good prices.

Hoya filters are good (not the best). Only use the protector when you have to; I wouldn't recommend having it on at all times.

Grentz, cool site - after shipping and USD to CAD conversion its only a few dollars more than what I paid, but with a B+W MRC UV rather than the Hoya Protector - I've bookmarked it for future reference!

PC_User, The 17-55 is notorious for snorting dust through the front element. It doesn't really affect PQ but it really hurts resale value if there's dust behind the front element. I'm okay cloning out the occasional flare/reflection from the filter if it keeps the lens nice and clean.

PC_User, The 17-55 is notorious for snorting dust through the front element. It doesn't really affect PQ but it really hurts resale value if there's dust behind the front element. I'm okay cloning out the occasional flare/reflection from the filter if it keeps the lens nice and clean.
A small amount of dust in the lens is not going to affect image quality. Take a look here for some examples.
http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html
If you feel the need to remove the dust then you can give this a shot.
http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/drp

WANT!!

353_2184_AF-S-NIKKOR-24mm-f1.4G_ED.jpg

Decided this wasn't exactly new-thread worthy, but wow. New Nikkor AF-S 24mm F/1.4 coming out soon! Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and I can easily trade in my 24 F2.8 for a decent chunk of one of these. Very cool lens!

edit - holy crap! I really hope that's not the real price when it's released. (B&H lists pre-order at ~$2200) :(

Last edited:
Mmmmm fast primes... :D

I've been eyeing up the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 myself, its just a fraction of what that lens goes for though!

Yeah - there's no way that's the real price. The 50mm F1.4 is just ~$440, and the 24mm F2.8 is just ~$360. I figued it would be closer to one of those - maybe 600 tops. Will have to look around and hope it's released at a more reasonable price point.

WANT!!

353_2184_AF-S-NIKKOR-24mm-f1.4G_ED.jpg

Decided this wasn't exactly new-thread worthy, but wow. New Nikkor AF-S 24mm F/1.4 coming out soon! Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and I can easily trade in my 24 F2.8 for a decent chunk of one of these. Very cool lens!

edit - holy crap! I really hope that's not the real price when it's released. (B&H lists pre-order at ~$2200) :(
tasty little thing. my friend seems to be all over it, too and should be getting it sometime this year. i hope he does too.. i'd love to play with one :p

i think i'd rather have a fisheye, but i'm weird like that.

Back