Next month - my price prediction for 1080 nvidia cards - add your predictions too

kveldulf

n00b
1-2 months:

New:

1080 gtx - $350 to $400
1080 ti - $470 to $530

Used:

1080 gtx - $250 to $320
1080 ti - $400 to $490

Currently EVGA is selling new 1080s for $430. I think non FE edition of the 2080 are set to 699. With these price points in mind, i think the movement will obviously be around the 2080, pushing the cards essentially to the 300 to 500 range.

If you're spending 600 for a ti now, i think you're really losing out on bang for buck by ~ 20% (if you dont wait).

Of course this all depends on the silly bitcoin mining demand/inflation.

Feel free to add you predictions or thoughts (even on other cards not mentioned).

hmmm This one id hard to call. I do a great deal of data mining. A skill I acquired before there was the Interwebs :) Because of this I can say with great certainty. I am not liking the spin doctoring that is going on with the 20 series of cards. If the card do indeed perform 50% across the board (which I assure you that they do not) at sales time then you could see your prices that you quote. I however think that all of the information that I have acquired points to 20 to 30% performance increase in frame rate, depending on how your set your monitor settings. I know Nvidia and their marketing arm and it is utter BS what they are doing now. If my assumptions are correct the 10 series should only go down 20+% down from their launch prices that was in most cases 2 years ago..

And the reason why I am saying this is that there is an over glut of 10 series of GPU's that Nvidia and card companies have. Up to 3 million in overstock it is rumored to be. Nividia pricing scheme makes it possible to continue to sell their older GPU's in the market. The prices are not down enough for things to be a logical bargain and I don't think it will be in the near future until black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Too much dis-information at this moment of time coming from Nvidia at this time.

If they want to sell those 3 million cards then they should drop prices a bit more. Right now the used market is hot, but ~$650 retail for a 1080Ti is not. That price is too close to the advertised MSRP of the new 2080. I expect that new 1080Ti sales have dried up this week and we will see some deals here and there over the coming weeks. If they really have a glut of Ti's, then maybe even an official price cut... who knows. I need to find a card sooner than later and may bite on the 1080Ti if MSRP drops to the low $500's.

I tend to agree with the OP's guesstimates on near future pricing. 1070's will likely hold the sub-mid $200's range with 1060 6GB's bringing up the rear.

LOL, no. As said above, they'd rather put them in a landfill than flood the market with cheap hiend cards.

Yesterday on ebay those new prices were possible, 15% off. Maybe next month as well.

Ya prices have gone crazy. My Titan V up on ebay for "buy it now" at $600 still hasn't sold.

I doubt new cards will be that cheap as they still fill the gap before 2080 prices. Used cards should be cheap once 2080 owners receive the new cards.

Hate to reply back but... my assessment is correct. Since the 20th of August the prices for all cards across the board went up 10%. This means that the new 1080 that I could have got for 400.00 tax and shipping free has gone up to the 440.00 to the 460.00 range. The launch of the 1080 was 599.00 but then dropped to 499.00 This is utter BS. This is the direct result of the announcement of the launch of the new cards and the negativity surrounding the launch. This is how they are going to sell their older cards. And it is working.

Please Understand that I collect marketing data on products for my clients as well as on a private forum where we discuss a great deal of things besides computer hardware. Kind of like an old folks home for the hardcore. Old, crippled.... but still BAD to the BONE.

BTW... Prices are starting for the new 1080 ti at the 640.00+ all the way to the stupid level.

Same goes for the 1070, Starting at the 260.00. NOTE the base price did go up 20.00 but it is the only one that has still might viable... EXCEPT the 2070 and 2060 will be out in a couple of months.

My assessment as I advised my clients that these prices on up to two year old technology is nonsense. Buy if you like but I'm waiting to see the results from the 2080 series. I had a feeling that this was a stop gap measure slightly beefed up Volta with bolt on hybrid ray tracing. We are looking I believe just by all of the information out there on the separate components (such as the memory) and cuda core count many of us believe that the 20 series of cards will reflect only a 20 to 30%+ increase.... DEPENDING ON RESOLUTION OF THE MONITOR ITSELF. The 2080 series will do well in the 4K monitors however not so impressive in the 1080 range.

Because of Nvidia's Marketing ploy, the actions that they have taken to reporting sites (NDA) I have stated to my clients a HOLD action until September 30. Then re-evaluate later. Again buy if you want to buy, but I'm not. Even though I'm one of those people that corporations drool over. The ones that have disposable income... lots of it. But I don't have STUPID tattooed on my forehead. I got my wealth by knowing my markets that I want to invest in as well as to invest wisely.

So I may be a Crotchety Old Man heading towards a Wheel Chair But god damn it I'm going to make/get one of these...

Or for the Dare Devil in me...

And finally for the Need for Speed in me...

Hmm. I wonder if I should paint it red or put flames on my wheel chair... It's supposed to make it go faster. ;)

But yea... I wait a bit before buying an video cards at this moment.

ADDED:

Gamers Nexus Just validated my previous comments about pricing and the reasons why they are going to stay higher than normal for now. Starting at around the 4:05 mark. Enjoy :)

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Let's say for argument. The 2080 releases. It's 25% faster than a 1080ti across the board. And let's say the 2070 is exactly equal to a 1080ti.

At what price point would a 1080ti be a worth while purchase over a 2080 at $700+ and a 2070 at $500

$400 for a 1080ti? $300?

So much wrong in one post. oh.

1 Bitcoin is no longer a factor in this. Nope nada, buy what you want.

2 Buying an Evga 1080Ti now is an genius move. 90 day step up program. You are either half way to a 2080Ti or have $150+ to step up to a 2080.

3 Haven't seen a 2080 under $800, so the mythical $700 mark is just that. 2070 will not be faster in regular games than a 1080Ti, the latest 3dMark scores show the 2080 3fps over a 1080Ti. So yes RT it will win, in actual games without RT (95%) nope.

4 You are early adopters, except it. You are paying for the next level to be cheaper on a 7nm, where the next launch could be a 900 series type launch. Specially after all the shit Nvidia is taking heat on now.

Let's say for argument. The 2080 releases. It's 25% faster than a 1080ti across the board. And let's say the 2070 is exactly equal to a 1080ti.

At what price point would a 1080ti be a worth while purchase over a 2080 at $700+ and a 2070 at $500

$400 for a 1080ti? $300?

$450. We won't see anything close to $500 for a 2070 anytime soon if they are == to a 1080Ti.

Yesterday on ebay those new prices were possible, 15% off. Maybe next month as well.

Yeah, that coupon apparently caused prices to migrate up yesterday on the bay. Combined with the rumored performance of the 2080 being very close in 3DMark, it was a perfect storm.

Think I'll just pick up a used 1080ti for $450. It may be a long wait to find one that cheap.... There going for 550 used. Funny since BH has some for $659 new....eligible for EVGA Step Up. Thoughts?

Decisions decisions

Think I'll just pick up a used 1080ti for $450. It may be a long wait to find one that cheap.... There going for 550 used. Funny since BH has some for $659 new....eligible for EVGA Step Up. Thoughts?

Decisions decisions
Are you actually even saving money if you use EVGAs step up program from the 1080ti at a $650 starting place over just buying the 2080 card for $800 new?

Are you actually even saving money if you use EVGAs step up program from the 1080ti at a $650 starting place over just buying the 2080 card for $800 new?

You don't really save money using the step up program since you EVGA step up price is the release price, but it does make upgrading much more palatable.

Well my hope is that 1080ti drops down to around $400 used but more realistically, probably closer to $500.

I also think that current gens will go out of stock quickly once the new RTX roll around. Will be snatched up by miners during the discounted phase post launch.

It's still crazy the pricing right now, nothing seems to have dropped as heavily as I thought it might, I bought in on a GTX 1080 2 weeks ago from evga from an ebay 15% off sale, ended up cheaper or the same as buying a used one. I will hopefully get the opportunity to step up if the cards are stupidly expensive.

Well my hope is that 1080ti drops down to around $400 used but more realistically, probably closer to $500.

I also think that current gens will go out of stock quickly once the new RTX roll around. Will be snatched up by miners during the discounted phase post launch.

The plan is brilliant, but by no means a new one. Bring out inflated prices, savvy buyers compare 'value' using relative price/performance, old stock sells, no fire sale needed. It's a reverse fire sale ;)

One wrinkle in the plan is that the used market for 1080Ti's is rich with stock. Many of them appear to be retired miners as well (meaning that sellers have multiple items in stock and motivated to sell at a reasonable price). Nvidia will need a further price drop to spark sales and compete with this. Used prices from high 400's to mid 500's, versus retail now lingering high 600's to high 700's. That's a big swing.

Alternative thought: stock on 1080Ti in retail channel is low and there is little motivation to drop prices. This would mean (hypothetically) that the rumored size of nvidia's 10xx stock surplus consists of the lower end models. This then gives them time until the 2070/2060 come to play (oct/nov?).

New:

GTX 1080 - $400
GTX 1080 Ti - $550

These will probably sell out by the end of October. GTX 1080 Ti will likely easily outperform the RTX 2070 in games only utilizing rasterization and thus a higher selling cost will be justified.

Used:

GTX 1080 - $300
GTX 1080 Ti - $450

They'll likely start selling at the low end of the price scale and then go up as demand goes up for these used cards when the new cards sell out.

They'll sell until inventory is depleted. Then they'll be gone.

Nvidia has it all plotted out for "around" November when the 2070 launches. At that point they can claim the 2070 as a price replacement for the previous 1080 cards.

1060 cards can keep selling against AMD until NVIDIA thinks the time is right and releases the 2060 and 2050. Maybe Christmas or early next year?

But it's all about the perfectly managed inventory rundown of 1070, 1080, 1080ti cards.

By two months after launch it's possible the 2080 and 2080 Ti will come down $100 to the stated MSRP. Any drop has to happen at least 30 days after launch to prevent mass returns for refund or price matching.

2080Tis are already dropping - I can see Gigabyte RTX 2080Ti Windforce OC cards going for 1140 Euros and that is with VAT. In short I could supposedly get it for 926 Euros without VAT (company purchase). I got my 1080Ti for 736 Euros last December.

Has Nvidia offically announced the 2070 release date? I thought it was around mid October for a launch date. As for the 2060 and lower models, I predict January release, just like the 960.

Last edited:
New:

GTX 1080 - $400
GTX 1080 Ti - $550

These will probably sell out by the end of October. GTX 1080 Ti will likely easily outperform the RTX 2070 in games only utilizing rasterization and thus a higher selling cost will be justified.

Used:

GTX 1080 - $300
GTX 1080 Ti - $450

They'll likely start selling at the low end of the price scale and then go up as demand goes up for these used cards when the new cards sell out.

There's a 1080ti posted at buildapcsales going for $500 right now. Brand new as well. I've seen brand new 1080s hitting $375 as well. The price crash is here for people who are looking.

2080Tis are already dropping - I can see Gigabyte RTX 2080Ti Windforce OC cards going for 1140 Euros and that is with VAT. In short I could supposedly get it for 926 Euros without VAT (company purchase). I got my 1080Ti for 736 Euros last December.
I've heard really bad things about the cooler on that card. It apparently was the same one used on the 1070 used all the way up to the 1080 Ti and it's being reused on the (presumably) much hotter 2080 Ti.

There's a 1080ti posted at buildapcsales going for $500 right now. Brand new as well. I've seen brand new 1080s hitting $375 as well. The price crash is here for people who are looking.

Guess I haven't been looking hard enough at regular sites, I got my GTX 1080 for $350 from evga's ebay site during an ebay 15% off sale in aa non retail box, new but comes with the Destiny games and is eligible for step up, i've been and have continued watching, but apparently i, not looking in the right spots.

Guess I haven't been looking hard enough at regular sites, I got my GTX 1080 for $350 from evga's ebay site during an ebay 15% off sale in aa non retail box, new but comes with the Destiny games and is eligible for step up, i've been and have continued watching, but apparently i, not looking in the right spots.
You got a great deal on that refurb 1080.

I've heard really bad things about the cooler on that card. It apparently was the same one used on the 1070 used all the way up to the 1080 Ti and it's being reused on the (presumably) much hotter 2080 Ti.

Heard that too when looking for a 1080 Ti and ended up with a Strix OC instead but it's just an indication of prices in my example.

You got a great deal on that refurb 1080.

Its not a refurb, I bought it direct from EVGA, as a new listing, 3 year warranty eligible for Step up. Their Refurb cards only come with a 1 year warranty, and are not eligible for the step up program.

Its not a refurb, I bought it direct from EVGA, as a new listing, 3 year warranty eligible for Step up. Their Refurb cards only come with a 1 year warranty, and are not eligible for the step up program.
Guess I misread it. Even better deal then.

Exception to the rule and it is a non retail box. This is a OEM box and there are resellers, besides retailers of this. You pricing for your Video card comes with an addtional "sale" that you were lucky to take advantage of.

My previous post as posted at the time still stands. The General pricing has not gone down as of this posting. I will also add if you are patient enough you might find that certain deal. Again though there will be exceptions than the rule.

Now on to other things
I'm not playing NVidia's game. I have no fucking time dealing with corporate assholes and their gimmicks. I deal with enough of them on a quarterly basis. I have a mean streak on people who try to take advantage of me in regardless on what I do. Because of being that "Mean old man on top of that a Mountain of Greed"... I have to fend off you young punks in corporate society with my Swizzle stick (heh heh heh)... Oh yea sorry about that I enjoy swinging my Swizzle stick around when I get the chance too. I'll go back to my main line of thought here. :)

Last week I purchased a 4 month Used EVGA Superclocked 1070 video card Retail box that included tax and shipping for $240.00. When I opened my package Everything looked damn new. Everything that was supposed to be retail box including a poster was there. Matching serial numbers on the box and the card was correct. Even the power cord was packaged new. The card slot did not even look worn from use nor was it dusty at all. AND is was 63% of MSRP. I saw no discoloration of the PCB of the card (due to overclocking and/or mining).

This is WHAT video cards are supposed to be costing in percent wise. NOT this bullshit on for a new 1080 ti for $650.00. that's less than 10% of MSRP NOT including Tax and shipping in some cases.

I do not see any rapid decline in pricing anytime soon and that is the main reason why I bought my 1070 at that price because that WAS the correct price at the time of this posting.

Good O' Uncle Charlie is going to give some can... err an idea on just what is a good buy on a NEW video. Just remember that sellers sometimes bait and switch things as well as that added shipping charge that you know fucking well that that's too much. They got to make up their discount somehow you know... Heh Heh Heh... Also by selling White Boxes, and OEM's are further discounts that the seller might not pass along to the buyer these days..

For the 10 series of Cards as of this posting.... NEW... Retail box... Tax and shipping NOT included in this amount... (but when I purchase things I include it in my full amount).

1. 1070 series of Video Card Around $300.00 US Dollars.

2. 1070ti series of Video Card is Around $350.00 US Dollars.
NOTE I personally avoid the 1070ti because its really a chopped down version of the 1080 using the same amount of wattage.

1080 series of Video Card is Around $400.00 US Dollars.

1080ti series of Video Card is Around $540.00 US Dollars.
NOTE. Sellers already know the high demand for this card so just letting you know that if the pricing does not go this low, you are being had.

I am hoping to see some real change by November but we will have to wait and see and if the pricing goes down of note earlier will that is the win to use consumers.

What you are seeing is companies trying to get as much money out of pent up people wanting a new card. HOWEVER as stated as before all 900 series of cards and AMD equivalent will run fine on many games in the long future. Things are happening in the Software side of the Gaming industry. There is no real need to upgrade unless you are running on a 6 to 8 year old video card and my suggestion to that instead of throwing your money away is to just upgrade to a card a few years newer than you have.

People forget that most of this world does not have the greatest and latest of things on their computer... if they even have one in this day and age.

Just don't buy because you "MUST HAVE".

Buy Wisely... Don't let Nvidia and sellers screw you out of your hard earned money...

Buys wisely.

Exception to the rule and it is a non retail box. This is a OEM box and there are resellers, besides retailers of this. You pricing for your Video card comes with an addtional "sale" that you were lucky to take advantage of.

My previous post as posted at the time still stands. The General pricing has not gone down as of this posting. I will also add if you are patient enough you might find that certain deal. Again though there will be exceptions than the rule.

Now on to other things
I'm not playing NVidia's game. I have no fucking time dealing with corporate assholes and their gimmicks. I deal with enough of them on a quarterly basis. I have a mean streak on people who try to take advantage of me in regardless on what I do. Because of being that "Mean old man on top of that a Mountain of Greed"... I have to fend off you young punks in corporate society with my Swizzle stick (heh heh heh)... Oh yea sorry about that I enjoy swinging my Swizzle stick around when I get the chance too. I'll go back to my main line of thought here. :)

Last week I purchased a 4 month Used EVGA Superclocked 1070 video card Retail box that included tax and shipping for $240.00. When I opened my package Everything looked damn new. Everything that was supposed to be retail box including a poster was there. Matching serial numbers on the box and the card was correct. Even the power cord was packaged new. The card slot did not even look worn from use nor was it dusty at all. AND is was 63% of MSRP. I saw no discoloration of the PCB of the card (due to overclocking and/or mining).

This is WHAT video cards are supposed to be costing in percent wise. NOT this bullshit on for a new 1080 ti for $650.00. that's less than 10% of MSRP NOT including Tax and shipping in some cases.

I do not see any rapid decline in pricing anytime soon and that is the main reason why I bought my 1070 at that price because that WAS the correct price at the time of this posting.

Good O' Uncle Charlie is going to give some can... err an idea on just what is a good buy on a NEW video. Just remember that sellers sometimes bait and switch things as well as that added shipping charge that you know fucking well that that's too much. They got to make up their discount somehow you know... Heh Heh Heh... Also by selling White Boxes, and OEM's are further discounts that the seller might not pass along to the buyer these days..

For the 10 series of Cards as of this posting.... NEW... Retail box... Tax and shipping NOT included in this amount... (but when I purchase things I include it in my full amount).

1. 1070 series of Video Card Around $300.00 US Dollars.

2. 1070ti series of Video Card is Around $350.00 US Dollars.
NOTE I personally avoid the 1070ti because its really a chopped down version of the 1080 using the same amount of wattage.

1080 series of Video Card is Around $400.00 US Dollars.

1080ti series of Video Card is Around $540.00 US Dollars.
NOTE. Sellers already know the high demand for this card so just letting you know that if the pricing does not go this low, you are being had.

I am hoping to see some real change by November but we will have to wait and see and if the pricing goes down of note earlier will that is the win to use consumers.

What you are seeing is companies trying to get as much money out of pent up people wanting a new card. HOWEVER as stated as before all 900 series of cards and AMD equivalent will run fine on many games in the long future. Things are happening in the Software side of the Gaming industry. There is no real need to upgrade unless you are running on a 6 to 8 year old video card and my suggestion to that instead of throwing your money away is to just upgrade to a card a few years newer than you have.

People forget that most of this world does not have the greatest and latest of things on their computer... if they even have one in this day and age.

Just don't buy because you "MUST HAVE".

Buy Wisely... Don't let Nvidia and sellers screw you out of your hard earned money...

Buys wisely.

Oh I wasn't stating that it was the norm, just saying I hadn't been seeing the deals the guy I quoted was listing regularly. unless you got a deal like this, I agree, a New, non retail box GTX 1080 should cost less than a standard retail one to start, but the base price of mine was 409 or something along the line of that, and I didn't get the full retail packaging and accessories. I don't necessarily care about the peripherals, but I did get the perks of a new card.

The GPU price gouging is getting old and now nvidia seems to have taken a cue that they can still sell the stuff at high prices with the projected prices of the ray tracing GPUs. Its the reason I bought in on that deal. I don't want to pay what they're going to be asking for them. Now, if They release the 2070 in time, and it isn't as expensive as projected, or blows the 1080 I bought out of the water, i'll consider it, its unlikely that ill take advantage of evga's step up program for them.

Hell, i'm considering selling and buy a 980ti for half the price for the amount of gaming I do.

This is silly, they just launched the new 20xx series at a higher price point so that they could continue selling the 10xx series cards at the same price point. Nvidia didn't want to see the cash from mining go away so they realigned the market to increase their margins to compensate for the lost market segment.

The 20xx series cards are not 'currently' replacing anything, they are just a line that is available on top of the 10xx line for the time being. Enjoy the lack of competition in the market.

Back