Next level VR interaction

This is definitely worth a watch - some next level stuff as far as VR interaction/interface use for melee/FPS/action type games. Can't wait for Brandon and his crew to release their full game. Nice to see folks pushing the boundaries in VR and making shit happen. Lots of little moments where I got a HL3 type vibe.

While the upcoming Oculus Quest will be great for entry level folks and first timers as to getting more folks into VR, it's somewhat of a step backwards for those already all the way in with a Rift/Vive. I'm really hoping that Valve gets their new HMD out along with the newer knuckle controllers this year for this. Will be a perfect match for the VR software tech that this crew has been refining/developing for the past year.

Last edited:
Yea man valve should just let these guys do episode 3.

I don't think HL3 is going to be VR, but HLVR will be set in the HL universe. Nevertheless I think It's very likely that Valve came to that same conclusion somewhere during HLVR's development - that they were so impressed by SLZ's work that they might have even halted development and said "okay we gotta have this tech, let's bring these guys on board". So there's a lot of speculation swirling due to Boneworks being added to Valve's master list, that previously consisted ONLY of Valve games (HL, Portal, etc):

- Did Boneworks start as SLZ's game, but got acquired by Valve and morphed or integrated into HLVR, and is now just a placeholder/codename for HLVR?

- Will Boneworks still be a standalone game and Valve simply acquired SLZ's tech for middleware to make available free to all other VR developers - like a "Source for VR"?

- Will Boneworks and HLVR *both* be standalone games, both co-developed by SLZ, and SLZ's tech will be SteamVR middleware made available to all VR developers?

It was apparent that the SLZ guy giving Node the hands-on demo was giddy about things about the development he couldn't talk about, but it seemed like there was more to it than just not wanting to give away details to his own game. There are so many Half life and Portal related assets and themes in Boneworks that it seems more than coincidental.

Last edited:
Yea man valve should just let these guys do episode 3.
has this team done anything with story/dialog, or just sandbox style games?

Also, I'm always saddened to see jittery hands/motion in these videos... does it really appear that way in VR or is it the video capture or something?

does it really appear that way in VR or is it the video capture or something?
Yes, but mostly because that's really what the player's hand (or at least the controller) is doing. It seems fairly natural during most games.

Also, don't forget the camera in those videos is fixed to the user's head, which is moving around, so some of the apparent jitter in the hand tracking is actually just the inverse of the head movement.

Yes, but mostly because that's really what the player's hand (or at least the controller) is doing. It seems fairly natural during most games.

Also, don't forget the camera in those videos is fixed to the user's head, which is moving around, so some of the apparent jitter in the hand tracking is actually just the inverse of the head movement.

It's what can make a demo of VR in action not look all that appealing in a flat/2D YouTube video. In actual VR, the experience is much smoother as your head isn't locked in place but is moving relative to your hands (which may also be moving) as well as your environment (which also may be moving). Bottom line, it all looks so much better and natural in VR.

Reactions: Youn
like this
ah that's good to know, I never heard anyone talk about it and I've been watching these videos forever... I did notice a recent vive knuckles video shows everything super smooth, chalked it up to that person having a better capture system

At some point there might be some type of electrical interface that simulates electrical impulses that makes you feel like you are walking or other physical actions while in VR. Physical actions are only as real as the signals in your brain saying they are happening.

New video of Boneworks in action. I cant wait for this game to launch (hopefully with the knuckles)

Back