Next generation of SSDs to have a shorter lifespan?

Chkdsk will only tell you if the filesystem metadata is corrupted, not the data itself. NTFS doesn't do any checksumming, but ReFS in Win8 will.

The drives firmware should take care of moving the data around when needed.

Chkdsk should tell you if any files are corrupted.

Look at how old this thread is. 22nm nand has been around for a while now and I haven't heard of this being an issue for anyone in real world usage.

I agree w/ you that we haven't heard any1 complain about losing old data, say some family photo that you put in your 300GB SSD last year, and it disappear.

However, I still want to know:

1) exactly what was done to fix it?

2) as the story goes, even if you haven't lost any data yet, doesn't mean you're not going to lose any data in a yr. or so. What if the data retention is 2 yr. or 3 yr?

Remember they are slicing electron beyond its physical capacity, by the law of physics, the whole thing is unstable beyond 34 nm. And the reason I'm asking is because I'm deciding if I should stick w/ G2 drive or G3 drive.

As long as the drive isn't totally worn, data retention should still be a year when powered off. But that's at end of life. When the drive is new, data should last for years without power.

In short, even at 2xnm it's not an issue. Not saying it won't be in the future, but the JEDEC standard is pretty clear on the issue.

As long as the drive isn't totally worn, data retention should still be a year when powered off. But that's at end of life. When the drive is new, data should last for years without power.

In short, even at 2xnm it's not an issue. Not saying it won't be in the future, but the JEDEC standard is pretty clear on the issue.

I wouldn't say 'not an issue' JEDEC only applies to new Flash chips, and then not every Flash chip out there strictly adheres to the JEDEC requirement, especially those aimed at regular consumers.

This thread at Intel puts it well: http://communities.intel.com/thread/13783
The actual data retention time of a flash memory will depend upon many factors: the quality of the Nand flash, the number of program/erase cycles, the rate at which these program/erase cycles occured, the temperature at which the Nand flash will be stored at, etc. Depending upon these factors, the data retention may exceed 10 years or be far less.

Yes, so no matter what, you should get at least 1 year of retention from just about any drive.

I wasn't talking about 10 years, though I suspect that many older drives could probably hit that number. I am speaking largely of the JEDEC spec for Consumer or Enterprise drives, where data retention should be 1 year/3 months respectively when worn. Because MWI is so conservative, this should almost always happen with 5xnm to 2xnm NAND.

So would I. Anandtech has an article on the degradation of data, but there is no follow up article, I couldn't help but wonder if intel pay him off and ask him to stop writing those articles

and I found it impossible to believe that no1 talks about this as so many of us buying and using SSD. How can we use a technology if we don't know it is safe to use? That the data can disappear?

Nothing is ever safe if you're trusting a single disk or repository to keep it with you forever... Backups are your friend, redundancy is just common sense.

As for some of the other concerns, I really can't imagine any usage case where someone has a SSD full of data where they never ever write anything to it and they just read from it for years on end (with huge lapses of non-use). Either way, backups are still your friend, if you're gonna do that (for whatever obscure reason) it'd still be smart to keep the data on both a HDD and a SSD, not like SSD are cost effective as a means of archival right now anyway.

In almost every other case, wear leveling is gonna be moving stuff around. Besides, almost every time you open something it's modified ever so slightly soo... Maybe in another 5 years when most of us are tossing out our 830's and M4's you might get some more concrete answers about what happens to these things long term. :p My X25-M and X25-V are still going strong in older rigs tho, hmm, I really have to update my sig.

Intel and others, AFAIK, use a method of refreshing long term static data periodically. If the drive hasn't accessed a particular page in a while, Intel says they refresh the data on occasion.

Intel and others, AFAIK, use a method of refreshing long term static data periodically. If the drive hasn't accessed a particular page in a while, Intel says they refresh the data on occasion.

We've gone six pages over two years to get an official quote like that. Do you have a source?

Back