Next Gen TV Launches Next Year

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Next Gen TV, or simply ATSC 3.0, is going to start rolling out next year. This technology brings 4K over-the-air capability, better reception indoors, and even some interactive functions. However, this new technology brings some pitfalls since it allows TV stations to engage in targeted advertising. I get enough of that with the internet and I don't really want it from my local TV station. Also, you're going to have to wait for TV's to come with this integrated or get by with a converter box for a while. I suspect we won't see wide rollout for a few years, but this technology is the way of the future whether we want it or not.

One potentially troubling part of the simulcast plan is that it doesn't require TV stations to keep signals on the air at the same quality. If Next Gen TV takes off, viewers without new TVs or converters could see existing over-the-air channels switch to lower resolutions and higher compression to make more bandwidth available for ATSC 3.0 signals.

Not backward compatible. Current OTA TV's must be replaced or purchase an 'adapter box' after 2023.

If we are going to see ads regardless of targeting, I'd rather see ads I'm interested in.

I want free premium 4k OTA tv... that would be great. They can deliver me custom ads as long as they dont display pr0n on kid shows or horror moves like youtube used to do with extremely inappropriate ads for 6mo-3yo "youtube kids channel" .

If i'm reading this right the OTA stations are starting to getting targeted ads and you have to buy a converter to do so? As if it wasn't bad enough that we get bombarded with ads every 5 mins already?

The only time I watch live TV is when I am watching NFL Football and nothing else. Guess I will not be watching even that then, oh well, their loss.

My guess is that the only way they can target ads to a person (as opposed to an area) is using an internet connection. My guess is that you can block that either by using a VPN whenever browsing the web or blocking the TV stations' IPs in your router, though I guess they could block TV if you do that. In the end, if you DVR it, it won't matter. I might get a TV next year, so this could be semi-future proofed...then again I say i'm going to get a new TV every year and I rarely do more than read a few reviews of LG sets and maybe walk by them if I'm in Fry's.

I want free premium 4k OTA tv... that would be great. They can deliver me custom ads as long as they dont display pr0n on kid shows or horror moves like youtube used to do with extremely inappropriate ads for 6mo-3yo "youtube kids channel" .
Agreed, if OTA channels are actually putting out 4k resolution, I mean hell the 1080p they put out blows away cable and satellite as it stands, then feel free to "target ad" me. As it stands it's a local station, chances are there are going to be local commercials thrown in there which is a form of target advertising. Not quite sure how they'd target me specifically though, it's not like my TV will talk back to the radio station and tell them I'm watching a lot of afternoon soap operas or something.

You do realize smart televisions have the ability to report the channel you are watching and at what times back to whoever. Some even listen and watch you as you watch television.

Of course, as long as you do not configure the television WiFi or connect it to an Ethernet cord, you should be good to go.

My guess is that the only way they can target ads to a person (as opposed to an area) is using an internet connection. My guess is that you can block that either by using a VPN whenever browsing the web or blocking the TV stations' IPs in your router

Of course, as long as you do not configure the television WiFi or connect it to an Ethernet cord, you should be good to go.

ATSC 3.0 is IP based. The OTA signal does not go through your home equipment, and there is no way to not be connected.

Next Gen TV, or simply ATSC 3.0, is going to start rolling out next year. This technology brings 4K over-the-air capability, better reception indoors, and even some interactive functions. However, this new technology brings some pitfalls since it allows TV stations to engage in targeted advertising. I get enough of that with the internet and I don't really want it from my local TV station. Also, you're going to have to wait for TV's to come with this integrated or get by with a converter box for a while. I suspect we won't see wide rollout for a few years, but this technology is the way of the future whether we want it or not.

One potentially troubling part of the simulcast plan is that it doesn't require TV stations to keep signals on the air at the same quality. If Next Gen TV takes off, viewers without new TVs or converters could see existing over-the-air channels switch to lower resolutions and higher compression to make more bandwidth available for ATSC 3.0 signals.

Not my future brother. My TV hasn't been on for a month, and that was to watch Lord of the Rings on Blueray again.

I have no broadcast TV, no Antennas hooked up, no Cable TV or Satellite TV ... no TV.

I do Netflix or HBO Now or Amazon Prime, I stream what I want when I want. If I decide I want something special I just pay for it when I want to indulge myself and it's still far far cheeper than what I used to get gouged for and you know what, almost no commercials at all. It's bliss I tell you, bliss

This might well be the future of TV, but there is no TV in my future.

Picture quality on OTA crushes satellite and cable and I don't have to pay for it.

It's not that good.

My local stations have 2-4 SD subchannels each, all wasting that paltry 19Mbits MPEG2 data rate. That leaves you barely more than a well-mastered DVD for the "HD" main channel.

ATSC 3.0 jumps things up to HEVC at 57Mbits, all on the same channel. That should be quite an impressive leap over current broadcasts, and worth the clunky transition period. It also means that once we've transitioned, those SD sub-channel feeds become a pin-prick, instead of a gusher.

Tuners should get cheap quick. 4k Blu-Ray players already cost half what they did on-release, because the HEVC ASIC is used in EVERYTHING. As-opposed to when Blu-Ray was released, and NOTHING BESIDES BD PLAYERS bothered with AVC FOR YEARS?

It takes mass-production to lower the prices of electronics, and thanks to cell phones 4k has momentum here. With this upgrade, we may never need to upgrade TV again., since 4k is overkill for most.

Last edited:
how is it "IP based" and "OTA"? is it a hybrid setup?

Maybe they just use the same location-finding tricks your computer can over WIFI. They can get closer. than your zip code, last time I read about it.

Then they just simulcast multiple commercials, and your tuner picks the one for your neighborhood?

You know, just like a Blu-Ray with multiple angles. Or multiple sub-channels broadcasting "simultaneously"

List of wifi locations:

https://wigle.net/

Wifi location determination:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...devices-super-accurate-indoor-location-fixes/

That's my best-guess, anyway.

I think the better way to determine your location would be tracking the direction and strength of all the TV stations. That list of transmitter Ids would be a whole lot smaller than a national list of Wifi access points, and a whole lot more reliable too. You could do all this with the same Tuner too.

Last edited:
Digital OTA broadcast was DOA where I live.

Went from getting 6-7 channels when analog was king down to 2 reliably, 3 with a good antenna and some careful aiming, still lots of drop outs...

Maybe things are different in the US and people actually care about this...

Digital broadcast ruined OTA TV in my neck of the woods. Cable and satellite us king if you want to watch live TV. There are no alternative s like OTA or online streaming TV in Canada...

don't give a shit. ABC still broadcasts in 720p max.

Ain't gonna see OTA 4k for at least 10 more years.

don't give a shit. ABC still broadcasts in 720p max.

Ain't gonna see OTA 4k for at least 10 more years.

Blah. We finally upgraded our 10 year old 720p TV to a 4k (completely skipped 1080p). I certainly hope we aren't forced to OTA converter boxes in the next 10 years, as we keep them for at least 10 years before upgrading.

Yeah, but 3.0 allows for easy upgrade to 1080p today, and then a future upgrade path to 4k. It's two grand upgrades for the price of one :)

Just ask Netflix for feedback on how ready viewers are for 1080p 60 shows. They've been doing that four years for their own shows, and more recently added 4k.

Oh great.. more planned obsolescence to boost tv sales again..
The curved screens, 3d screens , etc.. are not pulling the sheep in..

Fuck higher quality video. Fuck multi channel audio.

Seriously, converters will likely be fairly cheap,as they were when we converted to digital. Furthermore, most don't get ota video, so this isn't going to drive sales

Oh please, planned obsolescence is present in all aspects of consumer capitalism. Mass production can't exist without mass consumption, and mass consumption can't exist on durable goods.

ATSC 3.0 is IP based. The OTA signal does not go through your home equipment, and there is no way to not be connected.
The downlink comes over the air, but any uplink back would require the TV to access your Internet connection.

Personally I don't need 4K, but HDR would be nice. My current 1080p TV is showing a vertical line every now and again, so I'll be upgrading soon. Probably get something with 4K just for future compatibility. When ATSC 3.0 comes out, I'll upgrade my TIVO OTA box.

The downlink comes over the air, but any uplink back would require the TV to access your Internet connection.

Personally I don't need 4K, but HDR would be nice. My current 1080p TV is showing a vertical line every now and again, so I'll be upgrading soon. Probably get something with 4K just for future compatibility. When ATSC 3.0 comes out, I'll upgrade my TIVO OTA box.
I have that on my 10 year old Dell 1200p monitor. From what i've read, it's a capacitor (or some other fairly simple part) that's going bad. If yours is the same type of issue, then I suspect it shows up when you turn it on and goes away after a while. If not, then it's probably a different issue.

You do realize smart televisions have the ability to report the channel you are watching and at what times back to whoever. Some even listen and watch you as you watch television.

Guess that's why I never connect my TV to the internet, at least not without a third party device like Roku

Guess that's why I never connect my TV to the internet, at least not without a third party device like Roku

Same here, but it is possible Roku has collaborated with television manufacturers to provide them with the data. It would be a source of revenue for them. Wait a second, my tinfoil hat has slipped down over my eyes.

People bitching about targeted adds in this thread... good grief.
"Well that's when I stop using OTA! Rabble rabble rabble!!"

You're watching ads already anyway, why wouldn't you want to see ones you might actually have interest in? Because you're a mouth breather, that's why.

"But mah privacy!"
Oh please, give it up already... you don't have any.

I don't have an issue with targeted ads. I want to hear about Microcenter selling XYZ for $$ off or whatever, I sure as hell don't care about Chanel perfume.

Back