Next-Gen Tablets Will Have Console-Quality Graphics

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to Electronic Arts’ Frank Gibeau, graphics on mobile platforms such as smartphones and tablets, will rival those of consoles in the very near future. The level of graphics would match that of the Xbox 360 or PS3. In May, EA announced Frostbite Go for use in iOS and Android systems, to significantly improve the quality of mobile graphics.

Not what I would call surprising information, people have been saying this for years. It's not like the hardware in anything to write home about any more.

I agree. Not surprising, simply the same thing people have been saying.

On another note, if EA makes it....I'll pass.

Too bad touch screen controls suck...

I do think that this is a big problem for action gaming on touch devices. That said I can see gaming controllers becoming a more prevalent option for tablets and non-tablet Android devices.

Too bad touch screen controls suck...
So use a gamepad...

c7teE1T.jpg

How about nvidia Shield. 2x the power of Vita if not more powerful 720p.

Can't wait for mine

So use a gamepad...

c7teE1T.jpg

Is that a gamepad in your pocket or are you just happy to see me :p?

Yes, yes, a gamepad would be nice for tablets for 'home use' but its not realistic at all to expect an adult to carry around a gamepad on his pants to play while he's in a waiting room at a doctor's office, etc or has free time between university classes. Universities are the only place it might work b/c of the need to carry a backpack pretty much everywhere.

I could definitely see it as a replacement console. I already have my motorola xoom ( old I know) hooked up to hdmi and using a wii gamepad to control nintendo, SNES, Genesis, N64, and playstation roms. It doesnt quite have enough power to run Ps2 or OG Xbox roms, but it was also the very first android tablet on the market.

Meh, I guess this is a big deal to some people, but I had a Gameboy growing up, been there done that.

Vita already gives a PS3-like experience!

It does raise interesting questions of where gaming will go in 10 years .... will it keep going insane graphics on a TV or will the money be in PS4 graphics on something like iPad Mini 3?

So use a gamepad...

c7teE1T.jpg

Yeah, you shove a gamepad into your pocket along with your phone for a day and see how well that works out for you, just so you can game for a couple minutes at a time on the crapper or whatever.

Is that a gamepad in your pocket or are you just happy to see me :p?

Yes, yes, a gamepad would be nice for tablets for 'home use' but its not realistic at all to expect an adult to carry around a gamepad on his pants to play while he's in a waiting room at a doctor's office, etc or has free time between university classes. Universities are the only place it might work b/c of the need to carry a backpack pretty much everywhere.

There have been a few designs/prototypes floating around for gamepad style dock/case things. They essentially just embed the device in an extra long case that has a dpad and some analog discs on it with some face buttons, pretty reasonable solution imo.

Like technology will stop improving or try to go back to stone age.

Yeah, you shove a gamepad into your pocket along with your phone for a day and see how well that works out for you, just so you can game for a couple minutes at a time on the crapper or whatever.

Who says you've to shove it into your pocket, simply tie a string around it and let it hang from your neck.

There have been a few designs/prototypes floating around for gamepad style dock/case things. They essentially just embed the device in an extra long case that has a dpad and some analog discs on it with some face buttons, pretty reasonable solution imo.

Yeah, there's cases that add a bluetooth qwerty keyboard to your phone - slides out, like the slider phones of yesteryear. I'm sure someone has/will do a gaming version.

Considering EA has no idea what anisotropic filtering or antialiasing is I don't think they should be the ones to judge what 'quality' is in graphics. EA is a thorn in the side of gaming and open platforms and they go play with themselves in their corner or consoles, and sports titles that they refuse to port to PC. If EA finally thinks they "get it" just because they told us so - they are only lying to themselves.

Yeah EA and quality in the same story is highly questionable.

The reason for the sports titles is just another way of EA telling people that they drive the market. More then likely Sony and MS paid them to do so rather then EA forcing the issue.

It isn't that unreasonable a claim ... he is projecting that tablets will approach the performance of the previous generation of consoles (PS3, XBox 360) and not the newer versions. Both of the previous verstions are almost a decade old technology wise (which is like a century in the non-digital world). Also, with the market shift towards mobile technologies (smartphones, tablets, ultrabooks, etc) that technology is firmed positioned in its Moore's law curve still as they figure out how to add more power, capability, and speed in each generation.

Although tablets don't necessarily suit every game type they are actually very proficient in many types (turn based games, point and click games, games that leverage the gyroscope functions, etc). When FPS games first migrated to the console from the PC, everyone was sure that no one could play them with controllers ... now the console controller is the dominant method for playing FPS as consoles account for more than half the players. People adjust to new control schemes, if the games are good enough to merit the switch.

I enjoy playing some types of games on a tablet or smartphone, while I prefer a PC for others. Having a multitude of gaming systems available is good for the gamer. Besides, if tablet gaming helps bring down gaming prices a little, that would be a good thing ;)

Its been known, for some time, that the roadmap for mobile would have 'console quality' graphics in 2014. Years, in fact. This isn't even news. Whatever. I guess some people are still unaware.

Its been known, for some time, that the roadmap for mobile would have 'console quality' graphics in 2014. Years, in fact. This isn't even news. Whatever. I guess some people are still unaware.

People always like to forget the implications of Moore's Law ... at the start of a technology curve (like where tablets are) it is very dramatic ... its effects don't become more subtle until much later in the curve :cool:

Wait wait wait...so you mean to tell me that tablets in 2013/2014 will be able to produce the same graphics as a console from 2005? COLOR ME AMAZED! :rolleyes:

Back