Next gen MMO's; Titan and EQ Next

Wow Titan is going to be a tab targetted casual mmo with e-sports focus?

Because esports focus made wow's arena better right?

how the hell did these clowns do such a good job with WoW and end up being so bad at this

I can't speak for Everquest but have you played a Blizzard game recently? They are laughable at best.

StarCraft2 MP is really good and I had enough fun with D3 to justify my day1 purchase. Personal preference I guess. Like I said, there's nothing concrete released about this game yet and the rumors are not substantiated.

Because the developers do what makes them money now, not what they think is best for the players it seems like.
When WoW and EQ were new they could experiment and have fun making and doing new stuff. Now it's just a business to them it seems.
Almost every mmo out now with a few exceptions is just a variation on the same formula. (Cash Cow)
Remember EQ1? Used to be in that game that when you died, you could lose days of exp and possibly all your gear. It made you appreciate the stuff you did and had consequences if you did something stupid. Camping spawns for days so you could get items that hardly anyone else had? Now, you can just go to the store and buy it or something similar.
They've made mmo's TOO casual now i think...New ones are pretty and shiny for awhile, but underneath it's the same old thing.
Part of the problem is that the first generations of mmo players knew the value of working for stuff in these games. Now, players want everything handed to them practically.
(Gets off the soapbox...lol)

how the hell did these clowns do such a good job with WoW and end up being so bad at this

Huh? esports = competitive = balanced. They are going for a model similar to the widely successful League of Legends. SC2 is a great esport. It would be silly to think Blizzard can't pull of something similar.

idk how you can say theyre doing a terrible job with such a small amount of info on the game ;O

Yes but those games are esport because of the strategy involved and skills.

Tab-targetted mmo's don't hav ea lot of strategy to them outside of memory action, knowing what formula to push the hotkeys in for the highest dmg and when to ues certain ones depending on the state (IE CC breaks, etc).

Then on top of this, MMO's are PLAGUED by macro programs that do ALL of this for you, much faster then a human can react, and thus the whole "skill" aspect is thrown out the window.

*lets out weary sigh thinking about raid scheduled for tonight in mists of panda express...*

One boss after another with no room for error, can’t actually 'play' the game, can only run around and do a specific set of things to beat the boss, no on the fly change of stragety or thinking allowed, just YouTube fatboss then regurgitate.

Wow has gone downhill so far It shouldn’t be called a mmo anymore just dungeon trash adventure fail with useless insulting grind daily’s as a poo flavored frosting.. I can’t even assign skill points to anything anymore. And pvp ruined that game so bad in how it was implemented.

Diablo III can crawl back up whatever filthy orifice it sharted out of out when blizzard sneezed last year and proceed to burn in hell.

Fully expect their next MMO to be a facebook trash level of click to win “game”. Wow had meat and potatos and is now all fluffy whipped cream dessert. I.E. deep and now shallow and dumb. And because its ‘the mmo’ everyone wants to copy and in its current fail form all we will get is more crap on white hold the cheese.

SOE has a long history of directly giving the middle finger to players in its MMO's (go read up on some of what happened in Galaxies).

There were a ton of screw ups in Galaxies but if you are referring to the NGE or CU both those were pushed by Lucas Arts, and not what SOE had intended.

The only MMO I have ever played is Phantasy Star Online for the dreamcast.....It was amazing.

I'm patiently waiting for Phantasy Star Online 2 to come to America.

Is Phantasy Star Online anything like other MMO's? Or should it be in a different category?

Not to bash, but PSO isn't even considered an MMO in most peoples view. I know Sega has claimed it as one, but it's basically a co-op game. They are making PSO2 and it released in Japan. Should be out sometime in late 2013 for the US.

*lets out weary sigh thinking about raid scheduled for tonight in mists of panda express...*

One boss after another with no room for error, can’t actually 'play' the game, can only run around and do a specific set of things to beat the boss, no on the fly change of stragety or thinking allowed, just YouTube fatboss then regurgitate.

Wow has gone downhill so far It shouldn’t be called a mmo anymore just dungeon trash adventure fail with useless insulting grind daily’s as a poo flavored frosting.. I can’t even assign skill points to anything anymore. And pvp ruined that game so bad in how it was implemented.

Diablo III can crawl back up whatever filthy orifice it sharted out of out when blizzard sneezed last year and proceed to burn in hell.

Fully expect their next MMO to be a facebook trash level of click to win “game”. Wow had meat and potatos and is now all fluffy whipped cream dessert. I.E. deep and now shallow and dumb. And because its ‘the mmo’ everyone wants to copy and in its current fail form all we will get is more crap on white hold the cheese.

One of the biggest problems with raiding in current MMOs is that they have all become scripted events. Even EQs most recent expansions have gone away from the old tank and spank mentality to having idiotic scripted events where people are constantly running back and forth. Raiding is something that really needs to be addressed in EQ Next. If it's just the same shit over and over again, especially like WoW anymore, then there just isn't any real excitement. I would love to see EQ Next implement some new system where bosses have more variety. It would be pretty badass if the raid had to actually react because the boss might cast a spell, but may only occur every 10 fights or has different balances between melee/magic/etc. If each attempt is different it would reduce some of the mundane aspect that is currently raiding. I can't stand a few guilds writing strategy then every guild following it and if they are even moderately geared completing the raid.

Last edited:
lol at some of these comments. I'm not sure what everyone expected Titan to be. I knew it wouldn't be a traditional MMO like WoW for years. Blizzard realized that market was both centered around the dying PC user and has flat worn out its welcome. EQ Next will fail hard, just like TOR, and be free to play within months.

lol at some of these comments. I'm not sure what everyone expected Titan to be. I knew it wouldn't be a traditional MMO like WoW for years. Blizzard realized that market was both centered around the dying PC user and has flat worn out its welcome. EQ Next will fail hard, just like TOR, and be free to play within months.

Umm, Titan is going for more of the same old same old, tab-target combat, etc.

EQnext is not going to be a themepark game, like EQ/EQ2, or WoW, it's going for sandbox and they haven't revealed much about it yet except that. It was in development and they tore everything down a while back and started over, moving ot a sandbox and wanted to break down everything people expected from usual mmo's.

I don't think you're going to get much out of EQnext until August when they "reveal" it at their SOE fan faire thing.

EQ Next is going to F2P from the get go. It is being built around the F2P model.

EQ Next is going to F2P from the get go. It is being built around the F2P model.

Not only that, I guarantee their idea of sandbox is player made content. Just like up Player Studio and Dungeon Maker in EQ2. They are going to double down on shit like that.

For those that know nothing about it, Player Studio is basically designing appearance shit they will sell on the cash shop and give a portion back to the designer. Dungeon Maker is a complete and utter failure that is basically decorate a pre designed dungeon that you can fill with pre made monsters.

Huh? esports = competitive = balanced. They are going for a model similar to the widely successful League of Legends. SC2 is a great esport. It would be silly to think Blizzard can't pull of something similar.

No it wouldn't be silly actually. SC:BW/SC2 are great e-sports but there's this elephant in the room called WoW that failed miserably at being an e-sport. I'm sorry, but tab targeted combat is not fun to watch at all. I was a gladiator in WoW and watching a 'pro Arena' match was insanely boring.

I notice the all of the stuff from EQ Landmark that you earn will not transfer to EQN, even the stuff you pay for. Speaking of that, I really don't like the way SOE has the pay 2 win/play of Landmark set up. You pay for alpha access to a free to play game, where nothing you do or create will transfer to EQN when it launches. But SOE is going to take things players create and put them into EQN. Am I the only one that see's this as people paying SOE to design items for EQN? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Plus, there's never been confirmation that EQN Landmark will stay operational when EQN launches. Finally, Alpha is 1 month long process? No game goes from Alpha to Beta in 1 month. This isn't an Alpha game, it's an Alpha label slapped on to get people to drop $99 to get into it a month before everyone else. The real Alpha was months or years ago.

I honestly think the thought process was like this "The game engine is taking a long time to develop, lets ship the engine with building tools and start charging players just to use the tools, then take some of that content they build and put it into EQN to save development cost".

Last edited:
Actually they are going to use the player studio thingie (which they have in Everquest 2, Planetside 2, etc) where you can make things and then you can sell your items on the marketplace to other players.

Also if players use one of your creations within theirs (IE say you build a tower structure, and a player makes a castle using your tower template) then he puts his creation up for sell you will get a % of that since it uses your template within it.

It's not like your going to just make things and people will take your creations and use them for nothing.

Also I think a lot of people would just like seeing their creations in EQN if they make it in. A lot of people like just making stuff (IE minecraft), it's not really "work/a job" to many people.

Though we don't know if SOE is going to pay people for things they use in EQN or not, they may very well pay people for any creations they use in EQN from Landmark.

I notice the all of the stuff from EQ Landmark that you earn will not transfer to EQN, even the stuff you pay for.

Speaking of that, I really don't like the way SOE has the pay 2 win/play of Landmark set up. You pay for alpha access to a free to play game, where nothing you do or create will transfer to EQN when it launches. But SOE is going to take things players create and put them into EQN.

Am I the only one that see's this as people paying SOE to design items for EQN? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Plus, there's never been confirmation that EQN Landmark will stay operational when EQN launches.

Finally, Alpha is 1 month long process? No game goes from Alpha to Beta in 1 month. This isn't an Alpha game, it's an Alpha label slapped on to get people to drop $99 to get into it a month before everyone else. The real Alpha was months or years ago.

Landmark and Next are seperate games, expecting items you gain from one to go from the other is just silly. They did state they will give some rewards to people in Next that are in Landmark though.

I fail to see how this is pay 2 win, do you even understand what that means? This is essentially minecraft on steroids. You can just wait for beta and see if you are selected for a key like any other beta goes, giving people an option to get in early or get guarentted access with some extra fluff items or access to items a bit quicker.

You realize that the stuff you make you can sell on their marketplace for real money (seems similar to Dota 2). We don't know if Sony pays the people for the stuff or not, I doubt they are just going to take it, that would piss the community off and SOE is really good about their community.

Why wouldn't Landmark stay operational after Next comes out? They are totally different games and experiences.

While I know the only timeframes we have for how long alpha is is due to the messages on the founder packages, I willing to bet it will last longer if needed, they spoke about it during the live stream earlier how they are going to be working with the players on features as well as a roadmap for features to be put in and see how things work and change/add as necessary. The game probably has been in development and been out of deep alpha for a bit.

You come off as just totally against this right out of the gate with a lot of unfounded stuff.

In the new video they have up, they guy said you pay the fee and you get items that double your resource collection speed as well as give you an item that it will take other players weeks to earn. That's pay 2 win to me. The more money you spend, the faster and easier you progress.

The other things sound great, but like I said, the whole "alpha" thing is just a marketing gimmick, you guys see that, right? I don't doubt this game is at a beta phase in regards to the majority of content is in and they are just balancing, but an alpha product is an unfinished product that's missing many features. This isn't "alpha". EQN might be alpha internally, but that's not what you're getting access to.

You can watch the videos and clearly see it's alpha.

Lots of things they have shown in videos are placeholders for now, there's no combat, enemies, even water isn't in from what they have said.

In the new video they have up, they guy said you pay the fee and you get items that double your resource collection speed as well as give you an item that it will take other players weeks to earn. That's pay 2 win to me. The more money you spend, the faster and easier you progress.

The other things sound great, but like I said, the whole "alpha" thing is just a marketing gimmick, you guys see that, right? I don't doubt this game is at a beta phase in regards to the majority of content is in and they are just balancing, but an alpha product is an unfinished product that's missing many features. This isn't "alpha". EQN might be alpha internally, but that's not what you're getting access to.

I'm surprised Landmark is that "commercialized". I always thought it was merely a building tool for the fans to play around with while we wait for the actual EQ Next. Now it's like a standalone Minecraft-like game

There is no item that doubles your resource collecting. There is a ring you can get in the $60 and $100 packs that increases your gathering by 10%. There is also a alpha only item that last 2 weeks that increases the resource gathering by 20% that is in the $100 pack but really doesn't mean squat since alpha progress isn't saved anyways.

Dude, it is alpha, it is missing major things and a lot of stuff in general and has tons of placeholder stuff in place. This is not even close to a beta product yet.

You are on a witch hunt for this game for whatever reason.

I am done with WoW. Just sick of the 10 - 12 month gap of NOTHING new before an expansion. It is a bad trend that Blizzard is setting here. In Cataclysm the final 4.3 Patch was released December 2011 and then nothing new at all for 10 months, until the next expansion release MoP September 2012. Now here we go again, the last patch for MoP was 5.4 in September 2013, and WoD is not due until at least this September 2014, so a solid 12 months of nothing new.

I hope Ever Quest Next is good, and waiting to see what Titan is, but God knows when that will be released ?

That's common for many mmo's, why release free content updates when you can milk more money by throwing the stuff into an expansion and charge your subscribers even more?

Exactly why I don't buy the whole justification for subscription based mmorpgs, unless the game is like Asheron's call (new updates every single month).

It feels like double dipping to me when a sub basesd mmo charges players for an expansion, when in turn the money you already paid each month for your subscription was used to make said expansion and pay the developers who made it, yet they want to turn around and then charge again for it.

Back