Next-Gen Consoles are Power Hogs in Standby Mode

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are looking to conserve energy, don’t even think about buying a PlayStation 4, Xbox One or a Wii U. According to a new report from NRDC, the next-gen consoles are consuming two to three times as much energy as their predecessors.

“The new consoles consume more energy each year playing video or in standby mode than playing games," the report reads.

i never buy first run consoles. they typically cut back the power usage with their subsequent revision(s). lower power, cooler, quieter etc.

Xbox ON! I wonder how it does that without being on consuming unnecessary power? Oh wait...

However, the Xbox One's TV functionality requires the console to be on whenever a user wants to watch cable TV, which adds an extra 72 watts to TV viewing. The NRDC report recommends that Microsoft update the Xbox One to allow TV watching while the console is off.
Really? You mean that fucker has to be on to watch TV? What innovation. I swear, the people at Microsoft must think that everyone's homes must be connected to a perpetual motion machine at home. Along with a flawless internet connection with no data caps. People at Microsoft are really out of touch with reality.

The Wii U takes less power than the Wii in standby I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't lump it in with the other two energy hogs.

However, the Xbox One's TV functionality requires the console to be on whenever a user wants to watch cable TV, which adds an extra 72 watts to TV viewing. The NRDC report recommends that Microsoft update the Xbox One to allow TV watching while the console is off.
I'm not sure if I should interpret this as bias or stupidity. Are they assuming that people have forgotten they can connect their set top boxes directly to the TV?

I'm not saying that HDMI passthrough wouldn't be a good feature, it's just the wording in that article that bothers me.

If you are looking to conserve energy, don’t even think about buying a PlayStation 4, Xbox One or a Wii U. According to a new report from NRDC, the next-gen consoles are consuming two to three times as much energy as their predecessors.

Em... according to the charts... the WiiU uses even less power in it's standby mode than the Wii... which was already less than the PS3 or Xbox 360 in their standby modes.

Wait things in standby mode consume power? Say it isn't so! Dumb article is dumb, both systems run in a low power state in standby to perform things like background updates. This isn't new information.

They run like space heaters when on, so I'm not too surprised at the standby usage.

I'm hoping to go solar soon to help with power usage. Not really going to run out of that anytime soon....

Xbox ON! I wonder how it does that without being on consuming unnecessary power? Oh wait...

Really? You mean that fucker has to be on to watch TV? What innovation. I swear, the people at Microsoft must think that everyone's homes must be connected to a perpetual motion machine at home. Along with a flawless internet connection with no data caps. People at Microsoft are really out of touch with reality.
Probably just because they test everything at Bill Gates' house. ;)

Wikipedia entry on Bill Gates's house, Xanadu 2.0

a 'smart' power surge suppressor can reduce some of the waste. so the console is only using power when the master(TV) device is on. or just unplug the game console when not in use...

They run like space heaters when on, so I'm not too surprised at the standby usage.

I'm hoping to go solar soon to help with power usage. Not really going to run out of that anytime soon....

Not until we set off nukes during our war with the machines, and plunge the earth into constant cloud cover.

Nintendo built the Wii U for a country that has serious grid issues. Makes total sense really. In fact I applaud Nintendo for making such an ecofriendly console. Considering what it can do and for such little wattage its actually impressive.

Seeing the Xbox One , the most expensive and oddly second best at graphics chugging down watts so aggressively (especially during TV usage? Wtf?) is just another sign Microsoft decided to play it "safe" this generation.

Its crazy to think though that a low profile PC in a Wii U sized case can have even less power usage and be capable of even better gaming.

Wait things in standby mode consume power? Say it isn't so! Dumb article is dumb, both systems run in a low power state in standby to perform things like background updates. This isn't new information.

Then how about you read the article and find out about the new information?

The adults will be waiting for you to join us afterwards.

Then how about you read the article and find out about the new information?

The adults will be waiting for you to join us afterwards.

I don't follow your dis here. The article is reporting on something that was already known, that the new consoles consume significantly more power in standby when stacked up against their older siblings. There are known and documented technical reason for this power usage, it should come zero surprise to anyone that things like "Sleep mode" patching, DVR functions and always on device charging takes more juice.

I stand by my original comment.

I'm min-maxing my energy consumption comfortably, because I like saving money with the minimum amount of effort.

Two wall sockets by the "office"/"workstation":
- One leads to a switched power strip bundling what I rarely use, switching on when I need it beacuse even when fully turned off things sip up electricity.
- The second socket leads to a switched power strip with what basically is "always on" and necessary, monitor speakers PC desk-lamp and router. Flip one switch and everything is off entirely.
- One socket on that strip leads to a third power strip with an extended switch that's quick and easy to toggle, containing things I use more often than the stuff on the first socket.

Saving enough for about new console game a year with this method, but that's with the price we pay for electricity in Europe. No wonder you weirdos across the pond don't mind bitcoin mining.

So..Use standby and consume a ton more power to save 2 seconds off boot.

OR just power the thing off...

I never understood the point of standby mode. I don't think I have ever used Standby/sleep/suspend on any of my devices. But then, I rather like not having $500 power bills.:rolleyes:

If you're truly looking to conserve energy, you won't purchase superfluous crap like that.

If your truly looking to conserve energy, you will move to the mountains and live off the land. No electricity use = no energy wasted. :D Articles like these require that you leave your brain at the door. :rolleyes:

*Not sure if serious* Just in case, no, my Xbox one does not in any way act like a space heater when turned on. Even my computer at full load does not heat things up anywhere near like a real space heater.

Also, I read some of the comments after the article. There is no fan in the power supply and the fan does not run when in standby mode. (Unless, of course, you have it suffocating in a enclosed space on a hot day but then, that is user stupi.... er, error. :) )

If you're truly looking to conserve energy, you won't purchase superfluous crap like that.

This is ignorant. I own a kill-a-watt and hooked it up to my PS4 the day i got it. It uses as much power on standby as my Intel NUC uses at full load. 10-14 watts on standby is ridiculous.

This is ignorant. I own a kill-a-watt and hooked it up to my PS4 the day i got it. It uses as much power on standby as my Intel NUC uses at full load. 10-14 watts on standby is ridiculous.

Wait, your intel NUC can do modern 1080P gaming? WOW! 14 Watt's on stand by is just a drop in the bucket. My electric bill from what I could see has not gone up at all since I purchased my Xbox one and my Xbox 360. Of course, I do not turn on my computer as much either so there is that. :D

Oh, and to the one who claimed a 2 second savings on startup? It is more like a full minute or more from cold boot opposed to 10 seconds or less from stand by startup on my One.

Wait, your intel NUC can do modern 1080P gaming? WOW! 14 Watt's on stand by is just a drop in the bucket. My electric bill from what I could see has not gone up at all since I purchased my Xbox one and my Xbox 360. Of course, I do not turn on my computer as much either so there is that. :D

Oh, and to the one who claimed a 2 second savings on startup? It is more like a full minute or more from cold boot opposed to 10 seconds or less from stand by startup on my One.

I own every level of steam box, good (NUC), better (i3-3220T/750Ti) and best (i5/770 GTX) all hooked to kill-a-watts. I download my electric usage everyday from the power company and integrate it into a database. im working on a fusebox with built in power metering, but yeah im going to listen to a guy whose empirical evidence is 'i havent noticed an increase'

I own every level of steam box, good (NUC), better (i3-3220T/750Ti) and best (i5/770 GTX) all hooked to kill-a-watts. I download my electric usage everyday from the power company and integrate it into a database. im working on a fusebox with built in power metering, but yeah im going to listen to a guy whose empirical evidence is 'i havent noticed an increase'

Sorry but, the fact that you left out all the other information in your previous post says you have an agenda to me. (Of course, with all the computing hardware, you just might. :) ) However, trust me or not, it does not matter. However, 14 Watts is a drop in the bucket.

I do not see the Xbox one in that list, where is your empirical evidence for that?

*Not sure if serious* Just in case, no, my Xbox one does not in any way act like a space heater when turned on. Even my computer at full load does not heat things up anywhere near like a real space heater.

Not a real space heater... :D But, they do get hot. PS3, especially. Xbox 360 did a bit (which was well known). The Xbox One stays much cooler, but does get warm. Even on a clear area with plenty of ventilation. Not hot enough for concern, but it is warm.

PC does get fairly warm, too. Of course, not like a real space heater, but it does heat up. At work, my office doesn't need a heater in the winter when I have several machines running.

If you are looking to conserve energy, don’t even think about buying a PlayStation 4, Xbox One or a Wii U.

Thank you for including Wii U with the other "Next Gen" consoles, but it consumes less power than the Wii did (and less power than all Next Gen or Last Gen consoles)

wii-u-power-consumption.jpg

I'm not sure if I should interpret this as bias or stupidity. Are they assuming that people have forgotten they can connect their set top boxes directly to the TV?

I'm not saying that HDMI passthrough wouldn't be a good feature, it's just the wording in that article that bothers me.

The assumption is that people are connecting their set top boxes to their xbox/ps4 since it is an advertised feature, but apparently said feature is a complete power hog because the system is in full running mode even if you are just watching TV. I don't think they're assuming people all of a sudden forgot how to hook up their cable box after having it hooked up that way for 20-30 years, just that people are, possibly unknowingly, wasting a lot more electricity than they realize.

Thank you for including Wii U with the other "Next Gen" consoles, but it consumes less power than the Wii did (and less power than all Next Gen or Last Gen consoles)

wii-u-power-consumption.jpg

Yeah, welcome to the BS charts forums, otherwise known a [H]. :D If I was consuming that much power all the time, I would have an electric bill in the $200 dollar or more range. Good thing my power bill is only about $43 a month or so.

The Xbox one is NOT a power hog by any realistic definition. From what I am seeing, people here will eventually believe that 5 watts load is a power hog and it should only be 0.02 Watts. I can see what usually happens: Dam, my Xbox one is such a power hog in standby mode. *Turns on TV, gaming computer, lights in room, stereo, lights in bathroom, kids gaming computer, open fridge and stands there staring at it, turns on air conditioner and on and on and on.

*Continues to fret over Xbox one perhaps that he does not even own.

Not a real space heater... :D But, they do get hot. PS3, especially. Xbox 360 did a bit (which was well known). The Xbox One stays much cooler, but does get warm. Even on a clear area with plenty of ventilation. Not hot enough for concern, but it is warm.

PC does get fairly warm, too. Of course, not like a real space heater, but it does heat up. At work, my office doesn't need a heater in the winter when I have several machines running.

Good points. I do admit though that the Xbox 360 slim is pretty quiet and does not run to warm at all. The One I do not even notice it but, my consoles and computer both well ventilated all the way around.

Summer is coming though and my living room can get quite hot since I do not have AC in it. (AC in the bedroom though so I can at least sleep.)

Most of the power consumption talked about here is miniscule compared to how much a tv will pull during gaming sessions. Also any power saved will be negated by accidentally leaving a light on for an extra hour.

No reason to fret the small stuff.

If your truly looking to conserve energy, you will move to the mountains and live off the land. No electricity use = no energy wasted. :D Articles like these require that you leave your brain at the door. :rolleyes:

What? Because being informed about higher power usage in standby than prior models is..dumb? God forbid we have information we can chose to make decisions based off of, regardless of what that decision is. It isn't a binary decision - use ALL the power or use NONE of the power. :p

Back