Next Gen Console form factor=laptop?

Are you talking full scale laptop that opens and closes or just laptop components like mobile cpu and gpus?

No, 'cos HDTVs.

Can you imagine friends/family gathering around a tiny laptop screen to play a game?

Case closed. :eek:

Halotops - Laptop form factor minus screen with projection built in, allowing the user to enlarge the picture.

Viola I solved our problem :0

I see what your saying. Why aren't console built small and slim like a laptop. Price\performance. Would you rather pay $400 for an i7 mobile 2.2ghz or $200 for an i7 3.2ghz desktop. Same with the video card.

Why would I want that? I mean the idea is interesting, but that's all it is, interesting.

It's not really practical because being able to hook up your console to a home projector and using a big ass blank wall is more compelling than having a small screen hookup.

Yeah, I don't think even the little screen addons for the ol PS2 and the xbox ever sold well, either.

Why would I want that? I mean the idea is interesting, but that's all it is, interesting.

It's not really practical because being able to hook up your console to a home projector and using a big ass blank wall is more compelling than having a small screen hookup.

My laptop has hdmi. Just because it comes with a small screen doesn't mean I can't hook it up to something else.

but that LCD panel would just add to the cost of a console that is likely already sold at a loss...

so why even bother with the laptop idea?

The only thing I hope for, is MS drops the ugly PSU brick next time. I would of rather had the "Slim/Short" was the same size as the original, just no stupid power brick...

Why can't next gen consoles be laptops?

A laptop completely violates the concept of a console.

Laptop: portable PC.
Console: attaches to TV, no keyboard.

If you want a laptop game system, buy a Windows laptop.

I really don't see "game consoles" surviving past the PS4/XBox720. This will further destroy your idea of a console laptop.

The fact is, a console is a gimped PC that has decent video performance given it's specs, but it's form factor is different so that Mr dumb and dumber can say "whoa, that's something else that seems exciting".

Admittedly a screen would be needed, but I bought a $1000 Acer last yr{15.6}, and the screen is a shitty TN panel with outrageously bad viewing angles and tragic black levels, IOW, it couldn't possibly cost that much to tak that type of low grade crap onto a laptop.

The laptop can have HDMI/VGA or whatever connection deemed necessary on it's discrete GPU, and would come with a built in KB and mouse, and I suppose they'll have to throw in a gamepad or maybe make it an option as a cost cutting measure, but probably not.

Maybe the PS3/360 have to be so bulky to help with cooling, but if that isn't a problem, games could actually be made with a KB in mind and one could always use the gamepad as an option.....theoretically this would eliminate console clunkiness, and one can use the TN panel for gaming if they want, as such, mobility would be an option along with the end of stupid control schemes.

A laptop completely violates the concept of a console.

Laptop: portable PC that also attaches to any monitor{fixed}
Console: attaches to TV, no keyboard.

I'm asking why the form factor is the way it is......and it seems like nothing more than marketing.

Can you state specifically what you mean by making it a laptop? Is it simply integrating screens into existing home consoles?

Currently people who purchase home consoles already have displays in which to connect them. If they need something portable, there are portable consoles with integrated displays.

Can you state specifically what you mean by making it a laptop? I.

Form factor, including built in KB.
I don't see why they have to exclude a KB and don't think that a cheap TN panel 15.6in in size will add much to the cost.

That would be my guess.
Your typical laptop maxes out at 100 - 120 watts.
The PS3 and 360 are around 175 - 200 watts while gaming.
A typical single gpu gaming desktop likely falls in the 300-500 watt range.

The laptop is simply a poor choice in form factor for getting rid of the sort of heat a console puts out.

Well if heat is the problem, then fine, but why exclude a KB....whynot have both KB+gamepad.

Is this a joke? Why would people want this anyways? I know I don't want the next gen consoles costing $1000 and have sub-par hardware plus heat issues...

Like someone said above, its an idea sure, but a bad one.

No, 'cos HDTVs.

Can you imagine friends/family gathering around a tiny laptop screen to play a game?

Case closed. :eek:

Heard of HDMI ports? You are aware that laptops have them also, right?

You can use 360 controllers with PCs also (wireless if you get the adapter), so the only real limitation right now is the cost of a gaming laptop that runs games at high resolutions with decent graphic settings. That, and the small amount more work that it would be to set up the laptop to work with the TV compared to a console. Some people are extremely lazy, so if they have the option to go plug and play vs. having to do something to get it working, they'll take the plug and play option, even if it isn't the better option.

Well if heat is the problem, then fine, but why exclude a KB....whynot have both KB+gamepad.

Because you can already? The PS3 at least allows you to use keyboard+mouse in a few games if you want via the USB ports at the front. Theres also those shitty gamepad keyboards for either console:

ps3_controller_keyboard_01.jpg

qwerty-xbox-360.jpg

(Did they really need to make that white hunk of shit any more bulky and uncomfortable!? Why not add a proper D-Pad first, or make it look much less shitty/childish?)

Not sure you'd want to combine the two. Laptops aren't known for their durability, or cheapness, and the current consoles are hardly tiny. Squash the next generation models down and youd have 2 $800-$1000 units that would barely last out their 1 year warrantys.

How well do you think a "laptop" console would fare against 5-19 year olds who play console games?

How would cletus get him some good ole' NASCAR racing action if his "laptop" console had more than one button?

I have and enjoy my 360 -- but it's a technologically out of date dummed down box that's meant to survive. It's mean to be somewhat durable and designed so that anyone with 2 brain cells can turn it on and roll in 5 seconds.

I don't see this changing anyone who wants "more" out of a gaming system always goes to PC.

You will always have a power brick too -- in a system that's dumping massive amounts of heat out it's back, the last thing you want is an extra 2lbs worth of capacitors and circuitry bulking the whole system up.

Back