Next gen cards delayed until Q1 2012

I was super excited about the 7000 series until AMD fixed their crossfire drivers for BF3. Since I don't feel particularly compelled to turn on AA, new cards probably won't change the experience much at 2560x1600. Heh, kind of ironic that their driver support just lost them a sale (for now) because they did their job too well. That and because BF3 is optimized beautifully compared to most other games.

That and because BF3 is optimized beautifully compared to most other games.

^^ This

But then there's the whole tripple monitor group that has a huge stick stuck up there asses now.

Well I guess this cements replacing the 6970 with a 6990 for BF3 at 2560x1440.

^^ This

But then there's the whole tripple monitor group that has a huge stick stuck up there asses now.

I don't know about having sticks up our asses. We just need a ton of power for some of these resolutions. I've not played Battlefield 3 yet, but from what I can tell, my system is probably woefully inadequate to max out BF3 on my triple 30" setup.

So much for "waiting." LOL! "Q1" could mean anything, as we've learned.

they were never going to release them in q4 anyways. q1 is reasonable and they would still be ahead of nvidia. kepler should be out by q2. so either way next year before summer we should get new videocards!

I don't know about having sticks up our asses. We just need a ton of power for some of these resolutions. I've not played Battlefield 3 yet, but from what I can tell, my system is probably woefully inadequate to max out BF3 on my triple 30" setup.

Not what I was referring to as actually a pair of most high end cards do quite well even pushing 5760x1200 on a mix of med/high setting with FXAA enabled. Our problem is the lack of native 3x1 support in BF3. You have to either down grade to a non-native rez or deal with such annoying anomolies as no markers over anyone's head or being blinded by any light source in the game. Heaven forbid you have even a glimmer of the sun on a side monitor as it takes over the whole image.

Sadly my motherboard won't allow me to as it the 2nd PCI-E 16x slot is limited to 1x if anything else is on the PCI-E 4x or 1x slots. :(

So it's either 6990 or no Sound card? Luckily my ears have never heard the difference between a true high end card and on-board so the choice would be easy :D

buy a usb dac/amp and problem solved. the 200dollar ones are as good as the best pcie card (xonar stx) if not better.

Damn I hope it's not true, anyway let me not get myself down. After all in 3 days there will be a new rumor and leak saying they WILL make it out by xmas. LOL gotta love this stuff :D

Hopefully they will be out around the same time Ivy Bridge goes out. That would be a awesome time for a new build.

Not what I was referring to as actually a pair of most high end cards do quite well even pushing 5760x1200 on a mix of med/high setting with FXAA enabled. Our problem is the lack of native 3x1 support in BF3. You have to either down grade to a non-native rez or deal with such annoying anomolies as no markers over anyone's head or being blinded by any light source in the game. Heaven forbid you have even a glimmer of the sun on a side monitor as it takes over the whole image.

I don't have Battlefield 3 yet so I wasn't aware of any of that. I have to ask, if true, what the hell? Battlefield Bad Company 2 supported triple monitor gaming pretty well. Better than most.

they were never going to release them in q4 anyways. q1 is reasonable and they would still be ahead of nvidia. kepler should be out by q2. so either way next year before summer we should get new videocards!
This, 7000 series' high-end was never planned for this year.

I don't have Battlefield 3 yet so I wasn't aware of any of that. I have to ask, if true, what the hell? Battlefield Bad Company 2 supported triple monitor gaming pretty well. Better than most.

Not really. DICE released a patch that caused CTDs within 5 minutes of play on triple monitor setups, unless you reverted to medium settings. Then they did nothing to fix it for more than a year, even as BC2 Vietnam worked perfectly. Only when BF3 was about to go gold did DICE fix that issue with BC2.

So, yeah, it's ridiculous and I'm not holding my breath waiting for a fix. DICE claims they are "working to resolve" the issue with AMD and Nvidia. I'll believe it when I see it.

Having said that, the game does look amazing in action and this has given me a chance to see it at a framerate where a 120hz monitor is nice to have. Doesn't really scale any with the third card at this resolution, though.

Intel HD 3000 FTW!

LOL Puke... Im just gonna get another 6990 and sit on 2 of those for 2 more years until they are considered slowness!

what's realy sad is the Beta supposedly worked better for triple Mon's. I don't have personal knowledge of that, just what I've heard.

Far from surprising, especially with all the recent news and rumors that have come out the last few months. Sigh..

On a different note, I´d hate to my website to be called Rage... these days. I know, it´s way older than Rage the "game".

Anyone who remotely thought the 7000-series was going to come out this year was a complete fool. Upgrade now rather than play the waiting game.

im waiting for next gen so my friend sells me his 2600k and 6990 when he upgrades lol

Ivy + HD7000/GTX600 series for me. I kinda wanted a single GPU that can max out BF3 at 1920x1200 with great FPS. Apparently, there is none right now. Even the GTX580 can only output a mininum FPS of 30 and average FPS of 50 when AA is max.

I'm at work -- otherwise i'd dig up that image of Nelson from Simpsons going "HA HA"

As I understand this whole 7000 series thing -- they were going to be out, then they werent, then they said they were releasing them again this year, now they are not.

jeeze -- makes me glad I said screw it a month ago and picked up a 6950 2GB card. Thing is running bf3 in 1920x1080 ultra quality. Not a bad overclocker either, got it up to 930Mhz at 1.2V

This makes me even more inclined to sell my two gtx570's and grab 2 toxic 6850's. Friend offered 500 for the 570's, hard to pass up.

thanks for this thread. I just bought a 6990 and have waited to open it because if something new was right around the corner, I would return the 6990 and get the 7000s unit.

I currently have two 5870s (2GB each) installed in XFire and was trying to drive 6 monitors with that (on a 2600K Asus mobo setup) - and it dragged ass with maxed settings on DirectX 11 games (Dragon Age 2) and I never could get Dirt 3 running.

In the end, I set up 3 27" Asus monitors in portrait mode, and am real happy with that, but the 5870s still are not handling it as well as I would like.

So the 6990 upgrade it is. I am getting ready for Skyrim on 11-11-11 and hope that everything can be maxed without having to get a second 6990. (A few weeks ago I found a Diamond HD 6990 on sale locally for $639 and jumped on it at the time.)

Thanks again.

I'm not holding my breath. The timeline for desktop graphics is April for anything I'd be interested in. I also hope to squeeze the heck out of my 6950 CF as it is. Glad I bought them when they first came out. Reference, unlocked, overclocked, on waterblocks. I've been rocking "high-end" graphics for almost a year now. Never before have I ever been able to experience that. Thanks AMD!

Also, haiku214, that sounds awfully hopeful... I doubt that they'll have that when they come out either... If the hardware impresses, then it'll still be a few months before the drivers impress (i.e. run with great FPS as you mentioned).

Well, I just upgraded from twin 5970's to a 6990 + 6970 tri-fire setup. Mainly to gain more Vram as 1 gb per gpu just wasn't cutting it. Before I upgraded I had read that new cards were delayed AND they will still be 40nm parts instead of 28 - makes 7000 series sound like a sideways move.

Well, I just upgraded from twin 5970's to a 6990 + 6970 tri-fire setup. Mainly to gain more Vram as 1 gb per gpu just wasn't cutting it. Before I upgraded I had read that new cards were delayed AND they will still be 40nm parts instead of 28 - makes 7000 series sound like a sideways move.
Interesting.

Your upgrade must have improved things significantly. So the 6970 also has 2GB of ram?

My 5870s each have 2GB and my understanding is that all cards involved in XFire default to the lowest amount on any give card.

Yes the 6970 has 2gb vram as well. When I got my 5970's I never gave a thought to vram as back then it seemed like lots. I don't know yet how the performance will differ as the cards are coming monday morning. I may see a framerate decrease? But I should be able to play with higher texture settings as many games I play 'appear' to tap out my vram. msi ab will show 3980mb consumed out of 4gb total and then I will get weird stuttering until I lower settings - even though the framerate is still high.

My 2 5970's benchmark 120 fps on furmark 1080p with a slight overclock. or 110 fps at stock.

Yes the 6970 has 2gb vram as well. When I got my 5970's I never gave a thought to vram as back then it seemed like lots. I don't know yet how the performance will differ as the cards are coming monday morning. I may see a framerate decrease? But I should be able to play with higher texture settings as many games I play 'appear' to tap out my vram. msi ab will show 3980mb consumed out of 4gb total and then I will get weird stuttering until I lower settings - even though the framerate is still high.

My 2 5970's benchmark 120 fps on furmark 1080p with a slight overclock. or 110 fps at stock.

Textures use vram. That's the reason that you run out of vram pretty easily in Eyefinity, because it has to have so many textures being used at once. With eyefinity you max out vram pretty easily. I see 1.5gb usage when I (rarely) play BF3 in eyefinity (framerate is too low IMO, but haven't tried with 11.10+cap4 yet...)

I remember when I was like "dang, 2gb of vram, why?" but technology always seems to catch up (thankfully.... unfortunately the consoles are destroying that, since they limit technology being applied and built for).

also, furmark is a really crappy benchmark. It's only good to see how much electricity you can waste/how efficiently you can dissipate electricity to heat conversion. Otherwise gaming or things that are actually applicable to computer hardware specs are the best benchmarks. Furmark easily lets me OC my video card past 1000mhz, but then it'll crash as soon as I start anything really 3d engaging.

lol on furmark, yeah I know but 3dmark 11 doesn't play nice with quadfire and current drivers/caps. I only run furmark for no more than a minute to make sure everything is working properly. My oc is from 725/1000 to 850/1120 at 1.125 volts, pretty mild - never crashes or artifacts in benchmarks or games. ps. One saphire 5970 is for sale if anyone is interested, I'll ebay it next week.

Where did you read that BS? FUD? :D

Partway down the page:
http://lenzfire.com/2011/08/powercolor-finalizes-amd-radeon-hd-7000-series-release-date-92246/

Excerpt:

"AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series Seem to be manufactured on 40nm Process
Another surprise extracted from the words of the sales manager is that PowerColor is apparently continue to manufacture the next generation Radeon HD with a process of 40 nanometers (40nm). This clearly conflicts with the idea that both AMD and its competitor Nvidia are now ready to jump to a 28nm manufacturing process. Similarly, it is absolutely opposed to the official statement, which the manufacturer offered in July, in which he claimed that the new AMD Radeon HD 7000 series would have an effective transition to 28nm process technology."

Partway down the page:
http://lenzfire.com/2011/08/powercolor-finalizes-amd-radeon-hd-7000-series-release-date-92246/

Excerpt:

Another surprise extracted from the words of the sales manager is that PowerColor is apparently continue to manufacture the next generation Radeon HD with a process of 40 nanometers (40nm). This clearly conflicts with the idea that both AMD and its competitor Nvidia are now ready to jump to a 28nm manufacturing process. Similarly, it is absolutely opposed to the official statement, which the manufacturer offered in July, in which he claimed that the new AMD Radeon HD 7000 series would have an effective transition to 28nm process technology."

Interesting yet not believable. If these gpu's were to be in 40nm they would absolutely make it out this quarter. It doesn't take over a year to create your next gpu in the same process. Even if AMD changed their mind mid year they still could have gotten these out by the end of this quarter. It is possible that some of the 7000 series cards will be manufactured at 40nm and others at 28nm. Either way, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Partway down the page:

Excerpt:

Sounds more like miscommunication to me. The press release from TSMC clearly states that they will be manufacturing 28nm wafers for both AMD and nVIDIA. Additionarlly, AMD's next-gen notes from a few months ago specifically state a 28nm process.

AMD must be having major problems if they are going to stick with 40nm process for HD 7000. Hope this is just some nasty fudd. I was looking forward to the rumored 28nm HD7000.

Back