Next content pack and free weekend for Killing Floor

mas

[H]ard|Gawd
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=36964
[TW]Wilsonam said:
"Level Up" Free Content Pack for Killing Floor and Free Weekend

We are pleased to announce the “Level Up” Free Content pack for Killing Floor. This massive new content pack will be our largest free content pack to date and will be available October 22nd for anyone that owns Killing Floor. To celebrate and to allow as many people as possible to try it out, we will also be running a free weekend on Steam from Thursday October 22nd through Sunday October 25th. Full details on the pack will be available in a detailed preview article on IGN on Tuesday October 20th, so watch for that one.

just a heads up for anyone still on the fence or hasn't heard about the "other" co-op zombie shooter on steam, you will get a chance to try it out all next weekend, and those of us who have it will be getting more badass toys to pwnt them zeds with. including 7 (yes seven) new weapons, and 3 new maps from twi. they're going all out with a ton of content for this promo, and most likely another discount for newcomers.

25% off now confirmed, so should be $15 for the weekend deal.

anyone looking for somewhere good to play, feel free to stop by the address in sig anytime, and especially next weekend if you want to check out the game. it's set on hard atm but I'm probably going to tone it down to normal to mess around with the new stuff and take on the influx of noobs.

more info on the new stuff:

- 7 new weapons
- 3 new maps
- new "demolition" perk
- all level caps raised
- new specimen: "The Husk" (some sort of armed fireball-shooting ranged zed)
- 22 new achievements

new weapons:

- aa12 Auto Shottie
- mk17 SCAR
- m14 Enhanced Battle Rifle
- mp7 Medic Gun
- m79 Grenade Launcher
- m32 semi-auto Multiple Grenade Launcher
- proxy-triggered pipe bombs

new maps:

Bedlam: indoor map, insane asylum converted into a rave, twi release
Wyre: outdoor map, forest/woodlands open area, twi release
Waterworks: indoor map, underground water pumping facility, $5k grand prize winner from wave 1 grindhouse comp

also to be released alongside this update is the Defense Alliance total conversion mod, an old ut team battle mod completely redone for Killing Floor. never played it myself but I hear it has a huge following from its roots in ut2k3-4. trailer here.

the new weaps are actually a 3rd tier that tw created for the late-game money, also I guess to even out the skill/strat range and make room for the new perk class. level 6 perks are going to be getting all new starting weapons, and the trader interface is getting an entire overhaul to accomodate all the new items. also to be released is another "NightFall Character Pack", pic below.

IGN has also done a promo review for the update.

*Free weekend including all the new content is available for preload now, if you want to get it downloaded before the thursday 22nd-25th play time.

killing-floor-update-hands-on-20091020000533192_640w.jpg

Last edited:
after watching some vids i wanna play this, i was mad i did not preorder it, but ill wait for the free try and then decide. red orchestra is great been playing darkest hour a lot, so i think ill like it, even though its comepletely different.

For some reason I hgaven't played this since just vefore the last update. Just haven't got round to it, really need to get back into it.

Still sounds good.

after watching some vids i wanna play this, i was mad i did not preorder it, but ill wait for the free try and then decide. red orchestra is great been playing darkest hour a lot, so i think ill like it, even though its comepletely different.

never played RO but people say the weapon mechanics are about the same. I'm probably going to get into it when they finish the stalingrad sequel tho, I keep hearing good things about this.

I've seen this before, but how does it compare to L4D? Maybe it doesn't, that's just the obvious comparison I draw based on what I know.

Genre is the same but gameplay is different. Most maps in KF are not progressive so you spend the entire game on a single map trying to survive each successive wave. Personal opinion but I think L4D is more polished looking but this is mostly due to using a newer engine and obviously a larger production budget. KF is worth the buy though. I usually enjoy playing it more than L4D because it offers a bit more of a tactical challenge and you will generally find a more mature audience playing (less ragequits).

KF is fun, but just like L4D it's a one-trick pony. Zombies come straight at you in standard waves and you essentially have to find the "best" spot to camp in a given level and slaughter zombies until you get to the boss. I got bored of it after 20 or so hours, but that's a pretty strong dollar per fun hour ratio so I would say its a good buy in the end.

KF is fun, but just like L4D it's a one-trick pony. Zombies come straight at you in standard waves and you essentially have to find the "best" spot to camp in a given level and slaughter zombies until you get to the boss. I got bored of it after 20 or so hours, but that's a pretty strong dollar per fun hour ratio so I would say its a good buy in the end.

See that's not exactly true, especially at higher difficulty levels.

never played RO but people say the weapon mechanics are about the same. I'm probably going to get into it when they finish the stalingrad sequel tho, I keep hearing good things about this.

i got it on sale, but sometimes i see a boxed copy in a store somewhere for $10 , anyway there are 4 mods for red, the intial game is just easter front, then there is a afrika mod with germans and italians vs brits, dont think americans in that one, then there is darkest hour which is dday till the end of the war, there is carpathian crosses which ive not tried yet which is croatia i think, and another mod i dunno much about. it takes getting used to, but there is the general infantry maps, and some with vehicles and infantry as the mainstay, then some maps that is all out tank battle as they are huge, im talking miles of openess or forests etc. once i saw the lever action vid for killing floor i said i wanna try this tooo./

241qy49.jpg

and yes Killing Floor is awesome. I'm playing it right now...and loving it! It doesn't really matter what maps they add as theres already hundreds to choose from. Looking forward to new weapons though.

KF is a great game for it's price. Honestly, it's what L4D and L4D2 should be priced at.

It is one of those games where you need to play with some friends, though. I just actually got finished doing hard on West London solo, Patriarch is sort of a bitch with one person in the server (level 5 melee). :D

The constant updates are just icing on the cake. Hopefully, there will be a vinyl weapon where you can throw LPs at zeds or maybe a cricket bat or something.

KF is a great game for it's price. Honestly, it's what L4D and L4D2 should be priced at.

It is one of those games where you need to play with some friends, though. I just actually got finished doing hard on West London solo, Patriarch is sort of a bitch with one person in the server (level 5 melee). :D

The constant updates are just icing on the cake. Hopefully, there will be a vinyl weapon where you can throw LPs at zeds or maybe a cricket bat or something.

Batman soundtrack!

Played it alot right after it came out, not as much since then cause of those other people playing who need to l2p ><
Still got it installed and with 7 new weapons and 3 new maps sounds like I be getting back into it.
I wonder what crazy number of damage\welding I will need to get my support perk to rank 6, everything I got is already double the requirement for rank 5 ,Oh and the demo class sounds fucking awesome :O

I can host 2 [H] servers again for that free weekend if you guys want.

Although I think I'll be out of town that week. :c(

heheh, then I trust you've played KF-SawnOfTheDead. it's a pretty good map, complete with shaun's house, neighborhood, the winchester, cellar, and cargo lift escape hatch thingy. it used to be called kf-dogscantlookup, then kf-shaunofthedead, then changed again to kf-sawnofthedead for copyright reasons so he could enter it into the grindhouse contest. just one of many great customs I run, and what makes this game good imo. not many devs/publishers are willing to put up $20k in cash and prizes just to get the mapping community going, twi made a really smart move with this. I don't recall valve ever hosting this kind of contest before, they might not need it since they already have a big name out there, but it sure would have boosted the incentive for something like l4d.

Played it alot right after it came out, not as much since then cause of those other people playing who need to l2p ><
Still got it installed and with 7 new weapons and 3 new maps sounds like I be getting back into it.
I wonder what crazy number of damage\welding I will need to get my support perk to rank 6, everything I got is already double the requirement for rank 5 ,Oh and the demo class sounds fucking awesome :O

well if they follow the formula of the existing perks, then level 6 should be somewhere around 500k welding points and 7mil shotgun damage. which is some insane amount of welding and blasting, but I've maxed support out a long time ago and well past this already, so it should be instant level up for me too :D

Last edited:
Im amazed about the level of support they are giving this game :)

I will surely buy the DLC, they earned my money

"Free weekend including all the new content is available for preload now, if you want to get it downloaded before the thursday 22nd-25th play time."

Thanks...I am pre-loading it now, and I will probably buy it before the weekend is over.

Im amazed about the level of support they are giving this game :)

I will surely buy the DLC, they earned my money

that's why I waited on the first pack, just to see what they were going to do with heavy metal. and when it came out I had a blast, saw no problem tossing them an extra $2 for it. this time I'm going to snatch it up asap so I can run around blowing shit up in my EOD suit, I only wanted a couple from the last one (aldridge/scully) but all the nightfall ones look pretty good.

I've been wanting to try this one out for a while, but I wasn't going to buy it without trying it first.

You'd think these companys would free weekend their games closer to the release date, so they could sell more copies at full price, rather than months later at a much lower price point?

Nah, that would mean lots of peeps would play for a day or two and decide not to buy it. Now that they have gotten past the initial purchases, they'll do this to continue the sales. ;)

Killing Floor is a great game, it's the best $20 i've spent on a game :) Get it if you don't have it or if your a L4D fan.

Berserkers FTW! :p

Last edited:
I've been wanting to try this one out for a while, but I wasn't going to buy it without trying it first.

You'd think these companys would free weekend their games closer to the release date, so they could sell more copies at full price, rather than months later at a much lower price point?

well they did do a $15 pre-order deal when it first came out back in may. so far with everything they've done I think twi has kind of been like "testing the waters" in publishing their own game, they probably wanted to get a good following and iron out more bugs. same with the paid dlc skins, supposedly the outbreak pack was the first time they tried it, and they came out with another one since it ended up being such a success. though I probably would have been more likely to pick this up at launch as well if they had done this, since I never played the mod I ended up waiting it out and paying full price, now I wish I hadn't. it does work out well for them when they get good word of mouth, I'm sure it got them plenty of full price sales later on.

Berserkers FTW! :p
yeah they've been kind of op lately with the katana, but I think they're going to get plenty of competition with this update. besides the new class, supposedly they're going to be fixing all the hitboxes, so the sharpshooter is going to be retaking the throne again most likely. either that or the demo is just going to own them all :D

I played it and had a blast a week+ from the release then I took a break because of other games that came out and since then I just can't fined a server that isn't full of bellends, I mean last time someone blocked me on purpose to steal my katana, how worse can MP experience get? :(

I played it and had a blast a week+ from the release then I took a break because of other games that came out and since then I just can't fined a server that isn't full of bellends, I mean last time someone blocked me on purpose to steal my katana, how worse can MP experience get? :(

my advice, don't play on servers without kickvote or admins. punks and griefers obviously target those since they are not moderated in any way, just like any other mp games there are neglected servers with all default settings that they just run rampant on. there are way more than enough out there so you don't have to deal with this, since it's sort of a realistic shooter and players have full collision there will always be the chance that somebody can block you to death even if not on purpose.

and say something when it happens, noobs may not understand that they need to get out of the way when you are being swarmed, I've even seen many new medics block their teammates to death while trying to heal them (soon to be solved with mp7 of course). also look for servers modded with antiblock, so that at least there is no chance you can be blocked out of the trader, we will be seeing plenty of them just standing in the door since they don't know enough to get in the damn room. I run this as well so that I don't have to worry about dealing with noob blockers and griefers during trade time at least.

updates should roll out around noonish pacific time, free play most likely late afternoon or early evening so ops have time to update servers, that has to be done manually.

and here are some stuffs to watch for anyone else who is waiting on this, a whole bunch of video previews from ign that yoshi put up over at the steam forums. can't wait to get in on this later tonight :)

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/features/50912/Killing-Floor-Level-Up-Expansion-Pack-Video-Preview

Last edited:
my advice, don't play on servers without kickvote or admins. punks and griefers obviously target those since they are not moderated in any way, just like any other mp games there are neglected servers with all default settings that they just run rampant on. there are way more than enough out there so you don't have to deal with this, since it's sort of a realistic shooter and players have full collision there will always be the chance that somebody can block you to death even if not on purpose.

and say something when it happens, noobs may not understand that they need to get out of the way when you are being swarmed, I've even seen many new medics block their teammates to death while trying to heal them (soon to be solved with mp7 of course). also look for servers modded with antiblock, so that at least there is no chance you can be blocked out of the trader, we will be seeing plenty of them just standing in the door since they don't know enough to get in the damn room. I run this as well so that I don't have to worry about dealing with noob blockers and griefers during trade time at least.
Well the guy did say that he is blocking me atm that he did it and then when i asked him he admitted he did on purpose and is not going to return it to me, by bellends I meant servers where everyone is for himself, dumbasses shooting at everything they see wasting ammo, using the syringe only on themselves and so on.

played it for about 45 minutes so far. it's fun but i prefer L4D. really all i want is iron sights for L4D :(

Game is MUCH more polished now, new buy menu improved healing + message indicator ( so you don't have to watch your syringe charge meter to realise if you healed your teammate or not ) very wise move for IW to wait this long to give the green light for a free weekend, I wish the game was in this state from day one, maybe there would be published less bad reviews ( like those jackasses in EDGE magazine who rated it 6.5/10 and gave BF1943 a 9/10 )

But who cares about reviews anyway ? the game is out for the public to try it and it is currently in very good shape,haven't tried the new perk + weapons yet, but pipebomb looks really overpowered from what i've , good thing it's expensive, I gave SCAR a try though, really AWESOME rifle can't wait to go from lvl 3 commando to lvl 4, my squad got killed in westlondon (long & hard as always ) and I was left running back and forth between 106 specimens, I managed to take 50 with me though, maybe i would have survived if I was not THAT nervous and that stupid fireball-throwing-specimen did not spawn along with 20 clots in my face :( :p

PS : nightfall skin pack is good too, i bought it just to thank IW for this content update, 1.5 euros well spent

Yeah this patch officially takes it from former mod status to an actual stand alone game. So many finishing touches were applied this patch it's amazing. I really wasn't expecting this many changes.

Back