Next Car Game

mmkmmk3

n00b
Recently I've came across "Next Car Game" by BugBear. From the Creators of Flatout, Flatout 2, & Flatout: UC (Ridge Racer Unbound as well). This game looks simply amazing in its current "Pre-Beta" stage. Basically it has a slightly dumded down, funifed, bonifide, version of Beam NG's engine. It runs fantastic, even on older pc's, as it stands now. I recommend watching Nerdcubed's alpha detective video on it. I'd link it however I don't know if that's in forum rules. They currently have a $25 early access to the game & a free tech demo of their engine. The early access includes a 2.0 version of this, actual tracks of 2, 12, or 24 cars on dirt and tarmac or a 12/24 version of a derby with either American Classic Muscle or European Compacts. With more to come & for $25 now for the early access and all updates including the full game; however this is a discount.
http://nextcargame.com/
http://www.bugbear.fi/

Now, I personally was a huge fan of flatout and flatout 2. Never played UC or 3, though I hear 3 sucks as it wasn't made by bugbear. After I saw NerdCubed's video, & a few others, I was immediatley in love with this. I drooled over Beam NG for its engine. Then BugBear came and seemingly remade it in their flatout vision. I am stoked for this. The tech demo seems simply amazing but I'm waiting to finish my new build to test it. Anyone else care to jump in?

If I had pictures I'd post them but I don't. I'll go to the internets ASAP, might take awhile. In the mean time feel free to PM your's and I'll put them on the first post with credit.

My two brothers-in-law and I played this for several hours on Christmas. We had a blast, especially with the 24-car Stadium destruction. I can't wait for the finished product as I'm looking forward to the extra tracks and options. I agree that it runs fantastic for a Pre-Alpha. I maxxed everything out and it never had a hiccup or glitch. Heck, it's more stable than NFS: Rivals!

Yep there was a big thread on this awhile ago, looking forward to it. I've been hooked on these types of games ever since Demolition Derby on the PS1. ;)

Flatout was great, and I also loved Demolition Derby though I played it for the PC. Even Carma had some great car on car action :)

I'm excited to see how this turns out, but I'm kickstarting/buying early access from too many games at the moment to give another a try. I'd like to wait and experience Assetto Corsa, Project Zomboid, Broken Age, Carmageddon Reincarnation, Day Z, etc in their full glory before I jump into something that is not yet finished. If it reviews well though, I'll be on it like white on rice.

I am enjoying it.

Hopefully since it's alpha the whole wreckage/still driving will be tweaked some. It looks strange to see a car that literlaly has like it's front wheels pushed intot he midle of hte car with no engine/driver area yet it's still driving around.

Really hoping the MP for it is fun. Would love to see some good desturction derby style mp racing.

I bought in, mostly because I know I owed them some money from my younger years... lol. The flatouts were a lot of fun. It is definitely a pretty early build, but I see potential.

deformations look cool, but I find it too odd looking to have a fully deformed car still racing. Once your front tire touches the back tire you should be out of the race lol.

Still looks like it could be fun

deformations look cool, but I find it too odd looking to have a fully deformed car still racing. Once your front tire touches the back tire you should be out of the race lol.

Still looks like it could be fun

I felt like it was a whole lot of fun. I like I can constantly drive my car no matter what :D
I feel like it has tons of potential & I think it should be more community based allowing for tons of mods, stages, game mods, and cars. I Would like to see a BugBear made car editor and creator of sorts

I felt like it was a whole lot of fun. I like I can constantly drive my car no matter what :D
I feel like it has tons of potential & I think it should be more community based allowing for tons of mods, stages, game mods, and cars. I Would like to see a BugBear made car editor and creator of sorts

Yeah that would be cool, especially a track editor to make your own tracks.

Yeah that would be cool, especially a track editor to make your own tracks.

I don't know why that didn't come to my mind! :O... I'd still love a vehicle editor/modeller. I think that would take the cake in the community. The BugBear forums have a car suggestion forum but I'd rather just add the modeller for personal use & leave the regular cars in the multiplayer.

Some people are suggesting to put in a Bugatti:rolleyes:

That is dumb, they should keep all the cars looking like Beaters.

If they added the top gear tarmac course with time attack style mode, I wouldn't mind (gotta suggest that now). Otherwise yea. It's demo derby... btw if people don't know, this game has missiles

If they added the top gear tarmac course with time attack style mode, I wouldn't mind (gotta suggest that now). Otherwise yea. It's demo derby... btw if people don't know, this game has missiles

like, mountable missile launchers?
not so different from interstate '76 cars with missile launchers?

2.0GB patch w/ notes.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=228380

For those at work.

t's time for a SANDPIT SHAKEDOWN! The latest update of NEXT CAR GAME is here, and it will see you transported right back to where it all started from: a good, old-fashioned sandpit! That's right folks, the update contains a new sandpit race track very much like the ones you've all learned to love from our previous games. The classic sandpit environment with its sweeping corners, hefty hillocks and treacherous sand banks is admittedly one of the greatest fan-favorites, and the latest incarnation, albeit still very much work-in-progress, is guaranteed to make a perfect setting for some serious, no-holds-barred racing.

The update also contains a new replay mode that makes it possible to watch the whole glorious race again from every imaginable perspective. Naturally we've also included all the usual goodies such as depth-of-field, slow motion and fast forward, target locking, selectable field-of-view, and so on. The user interface will see a complete rework later down the road, but even now there's no reason to make the best crashtastic video ever and share it with the whole world!

Other than that the update features two new derby stadiums as well as a number of improvements, many of which were done based on community feedback. One of the most significant additions is the support for more than one simultaneous controller, so now you can finally drive like a boss with separate wheels and pedals. Also, the suspension and tire physics have been enhanced, and as a result the handling feels more natural than ever. We've also increased the responsiveness of the gamepad controls, as requested by many.

Needless to say, the update also contains an ample amount of other improvements and fixes. Please see below for the most significant changes:

Tracks:

New sandpit race track featuring both normal and reverse layouts, work-in-progress.
New mudpit derby stadium, work-in-progress.
New small derby stadium, work-in-progress.

Environment Art:

Smoothed out track-sides and improved gravel race track readability.
New work-in-progress spectator models - some previous ones remain.
New concrete barriers, used in various derby stadiums.
Weathers:

Two new weathers: stormy evening and misty evening.
Weather can be now specified in the event setup.

Vehicles and Handling:

New driver model, as of now simply static.
Improved suspension and tire physics.
More responsive handling with a game pad.
Improved player vs. AI collision physics.

Damage:

Improved deformation physics so that visual car damage is more accurate.
Improved gameplay damage to prevent cars from getting too torn up and still going.
Fixed a case where cars would get damaged and eventually destroyed from rubbing against a static barrier.

Replay:

New replay mode with slow motion and fast forward time controls (-16.0x ... 4.0x), a number of different cameras, target locking & switching, depth-of-field and field-of-view settings.

User Interface:

Race timer now correctly displays hundredths as well instead of random numbers.
Game is no longer unpaused when exiting Steam overlay if the game was paused.

Input:

Implemented multicontroller support (e.g. wheel and pedals in separate USB ports).
Sensitivity & deadzone adjustments now take effect without a restart.
Added saturation, sensitivity and dead zone settings for XInput controllers.
Game now defaults to DirectInput for wheels, hopefully making some wheels behave better.
The game now detects more than one XInput controllers that are connected simultaneously.
Force feedback is disabled for Microsoft Sidewinder FF wheel in an attempt to work around buggy driver causing lag.

Audio:

Increased AI engine volume.
General improvements.

As always, have fun and don't forget to give feedback!

Looking at the sample gameplay video I'm really impressed with the graphics quality, specifically the terrain and surroundings. The grass, bushes, and trees are damn near photorealistic....

glad to see they fixed the multi controller issue for those with pedal and wheel setups, this game is getting better and better

I bought it for the sale price. Pretty fun game. The controls feel sluggish with a controller, but from what I read, its been improving each update.

Yeah it is. The first beta was like driving a log down a river.
Haven't tried the new stages yet, but this game needs a Bowl Arena, like the old Destruction Derby games and Interstate '76.

Is the steam sale still working for everyone else? It shows that it's valid until tomorrow at 10 AM PST, but it's not showing the discount now.

The game engine was redone recently and they added in 12 player Lan support, new tracks, cars, improved controller controls to make the game feel less sluggish, and a ton more improvements and changes!

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=228380

Yep, been playing it recently. They have made a lot of improvements. Its starting to feel very polished now.

One of the things that I have noticed though, they took away the different style tires, you can only use standard tires now, which makes you slide a tad bit more. Another thing I wish they would add is some kind announcement system, like Destruction Derby had, I always felt like having an announcer react to my hits & crashes made me feel like I was doing something right or like I was special, I think people need to feel that way and to me it makes the game so much more immersive. Also I wouldn't mind seeing a points system implemented like DD had, points for spinning an opponent, knocking them out & winning the race, hopefully we will see something like this in a career or season mode upon final release.

Anyways, I am really enjoying the improvements.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/228380/announcements/detail/85928399507001631
Update 2015-11-19

November 20 - jannesBB

General:
•Physics improvements, more realistic geometry dynamics.
•Implemented joint-based steering rack implementation.
•Improved visual damage accuracy and realism, cars now deform more like they're made of sheet metal instead of paper or plastic.
•Implemented ambient occlusion maps for vehicles.
•Resurrected ambient shadow for vehicles, now affected by visual damage.
•Resurrected low frequency ambient occlusion for scenes.
•Running Steam client is no longer needed for dedicated servers.
•Again reduced dedicated server CPU load on empty servers.
•Improved tire adhesion audio, now reacts to different tyre conditions.
•Implemented basic anti-hacking measures: The game now detects in case there are modified or additional files in sensitive data folders, excluding art. In case modded content is is detected leaderboards are disabled. Multiplayer requires that the server and clients have the same modified files.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're persistently receiving an error message about data mismatch and can't pinpoint the culprit, please delete the whole 'data' folder and verify data integrity via Steam.

Gameplay:
•Added a new game mode: Sprint Cup, consisting of 3 heats of 2 lap races.
•Added basic part durability mechanic: parts now wear with use, lowering performance.
•AI opponents are now picked based on player's car class.
•Added a set of new AI opponents with different cars.
•Enabled ABS & TCS helpers in multiplayer.
•Fixed team race lap position points awarding.
•Improve lost tire and damage tracking in replay.
•Improved gamepad controls.

Upgrading:
•Implemented a new (placeholder) upgrading menu.
•Added a whole host of new vehicle parts.
•Implemented a placeholder marketplace.

User Interface:
•Improved chat functionality.
•Added an alert when a multiplayer event is about to start.
•Implemented more accurate option sliders when using a controller.

Tracks:
•Added a new race track: Mixed 1.
•Added a new race track: Tarmac 2.
•Added a new derby track: Lawn Mower Derby.
•Improved replay cameras on all tracks.
•Improved AI behaviour on all tracks.
•Added sunset weather.

Vehicles:
•Added a new vehicle: Lawn Mower with rag doll driver.
•Updated tyre model.
•Improved vehicle setups.

Back