Next big multiplayer PC game?

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
What is the next big multiplayer PC game going to be? Will it be an RPG or FPS? RTS? I am looking forward to Joint Operations by Novalogic, it looks pretty good. What other games are coming in the next three months?

-warsaw

oh ya i totally forgot about those... when is vietnam and ut2004 supposed to come out anyways?

-warsaw

Both tittle are due for release the week of March 16th according to EBgames!
But also that week:
Soldner
Half Life 2(yeah right!)
Joint Operations
Far Cry
Medal of Honor:pacific Assault

i dont think doom3 will be huge for multiplayer. battlefield vietnam would be my vote, or half life 2, whenever it actually comes out.

Originally posted by badjoke
dont forgetour little friend D3

I doubt it will be that big in multiplayer.. But yeah maybe..

I say battlefield vietnam
half life 2

i cant wait for vietnam... i already have 1942 and both expansions... vietnam is gonna be pretty sick... i want to try joint operations tho that game looks like a modern day battleifeld and i have always like the delta force series

-warsaw

First off, about doom 3. I don't think this will be big, if having any multiplayer hype at all. It is only around 4 players i believe. Quake 4, built off doom 3 engine, will probably have bigger multiplayer. Half-life 2, when are we even sure it is going to be released? I wouldn't think before bfv and ut2k4

I bought DF: BHD and it was the worst game I've ever bought. BF Vietnam gets my vote.

i think halflife2 is going to spawn the next big competition game, whether it be CS2, TF2, DOD2, dunno. farcry may shape up to be something special though.

even though the newer games are being more "realistic" i think that gameplay has gotten boring... sure its very strategic but it is also very slow paced....

note: im comin from the qwtf (quakeworld team fortress) era of gaming...

i didnt like TFC because it was too slow of a pace for me and the physics really sucked.... HL2 and all of the battlefields will create gameplay online but as for my taste... i wanna keep away from the realistic gameplay issues and stick to the quake series and d3.. unreal is fun but wasnt a big hit for me online...

Q3F (fortress) was fun while it lasted but i would pick quake4 and D3 over any of the newer games comin out within the next years

I say UT2k4, one reason is that you will have UT2k3 gamers there because you can play UT2k4 on UT2k3 servers. All my friends will be getting it. :D And some UT99 people that I know of will be moving to UT2k4. So thats what I think.

well, i know it wont be the next big one, but when it does come out, i have some high hopes that WoW will be BIG.

IMHO, I think FarCry is going to be a mass sleeper hit. Ive been keeping my eye on it for awhile now, and talked with some of the dev's about the engine (needed info for my teams mod, etc) and I believe its going to be simply amazing.

With the massive outdoor enviroments with seamless transitions to indoors, over 1KM+ view ranges, vehicles, etc. the game will probably be pushing alot of higher end machines when its set to the highest detail.

Some of the key features that really interest me are:

1. Massive view distances, talking over 1K with rumored support of up to over 5K.
2. Graphics, gotta have the great graphics.
3. Editor, their motto for it is "What you see is what you get" You can literally make a bunch of changes in the editor, press a key. Instantly be in the game (from within the editor), try out your stuff. Press another key, be back in the editor to tweak then do it all over again.
4. Physics system they developed are looking incredibly impressive (ragdoll, vehicle physics, etc)
5. Lighting in the game is superb. Can shoot a light fixture and watch it swing around affect the room. Supposedly can shoot holes through thinner objects and see the beams of light shining through as well. New way to peek into a room before ya go in... shoot a hole in the wall and look for yourself lol.
6. AI, non scripted, reactive characters that make each run through of the game a different experience depending on how you play it. Enemys will find cover, flank, call in reinforments, track you down, etc. Stuff is really impressive.

Just a few of the things I like about it. But enough ranting, check it out for yourself at farcry-thegame.com

when i first saw farcry, i thought since the outdoor environments were so good the indoors would be crap. but after seeing pics of the indoors, it really blew me away.

Farcry hands down. I think half-life 2 will be great also but every new footage I see of Farcry the more and more amazing it looks. Multiplayer beta is coming up soon too, can't wait.

Farcry will be overshadowed by all these hits indeed, but I really don't see what looks TOO great about it. The best part is the engine yes, but the game itself just looks like things we have all seen before.

what upcoming game ISNT what weve seen before? :eek: sorry there is no appropriate smiley for this question

Originally posted by BoWser
Farcry will be overshadowed by all these hits indeed, but I really don't see what looks TOO great about it. The best part is the engine yes, but the game itself just looks like things we have all seen before.

I would say the AI that is supposed to communicate to each other by conventional means isn't something we've seen before, each battle at the least should prove very interesting and dynamic. Should allow for some excellent battles and many different approaches to each situation and level.

Originally posted by doh-nut
what upcoming game ISNT what weve seen before? :eek: sorry there is no appropriate smiley for this question

i think :rolleyes: this would be appropriate.... to the smiley... not the post... :)

but yeah you're right. orginiality is very very weak in games and everything nowadays. it's all just a bunch of sequels.

Originally posted by doh-nut

Half-life 2 has probably the most amazing physics engine I have ever seen which could lead to very intresting multiplay.

Originally posted by auxout
I would say the AI that is supposed to communicate to each other by conventional means isn't something we've seen before, each battle at the least should prove very interesting and dynamic. Should allow for some excellent battles and many different approaches to each situation and level.

Tell me, what does this have to do with being the next big online multiplayer game?

how soon we forget..

Firstplace Tie: UT2k4 & Tribes 3
2nd: Halflife 2
3rd: Battlfield Vietnam
4th: who cares? Farcry perhaps.

sorry to spoil your fun, but this IS how it will go folks.

there will never be another "big game" like there used to be

The market is too saturated. Back in 1997 everyone played Quake or Quake 2.

Now there is a million fps games to choose from.

I loved Quake 2, one giant community, tons of awesome mods, great times.

Likley, either Battlefield Vietnam or Unreal Tournament 2004

yeah i see ut2k4 being a big seller and one of the top games played.

Tell me, what does this have to do with being the next big online multiplayer game?

Read what I quoted, he was talking about how farcry was the same as what we've seen before. I was talking about some things in the game we hadn't seen before, forgive me for not being 100% entirely on the multiplayer topic. I was taking into consideration maybe some type of Coop with the game which constitutes multiplayer to me. But thanks for pointing that out, I would never be able to post without the volunteer police around here. Now entirely on topic so I don't get policed again, the view distance with that graphic quality isn't something I've seen before in multiplayer, the out of the box WYSIWYG editor should make lots of neat things possible multiplayer, but that relates back to what he said, the engine is great, guess I should just stop posting. In anycase, whatever, I'll post how farcry plays multi as soon as they get it posted for the testing.

Back