Newspapers Want To Charge Extra For Black Friday Ads

Lol the will waive the fee for people who bitch about it. So I assume those hotlines will be ringing off the hook with the 10 people who still get papers.

Also, don't the papers make money off the advertisement ads themself? Are they trying to double dip now, wtf

Don't they already charge more for the advertisement? Silly newspapers. If you charge your customers more to view the content, you will distribute less. Thus, your advertisers will discontinue paying more to advertise.

Don't they already charge more for the advertisement? Silly newspapers. If you charge your customers more to view the content, you will distribute less. Thus, your advertisers will discontinue paying more to advertise.

My local paper website started charging for viewing their content. With a physical sub, you got free access, but it was a pain in the ass (I still get the Sunday paper, but I'm trying to be frugal and save a lot more in coupons than the cost of the paper). After a couple months and tons of bitching, it's now ad based and no paywall.

The subscriber fee usually covers the printing and delivery costs. The staff and administrative cost is paid out of the advertising sales.

Seems like advertisers would be upset if they sold ads and then raised the price of the paper.

They're just desperate for money to stay afloat. There is a small core of people that will ALWAYS get the paper for almost any cost that isn't ultra-extreme.

Normally this kind of practice and raising subscription prices isn't a good business model, and while it still isn't they don't have a choice. They can't recruit new people. If you are young you have probably never had a paper subscription, and you are never going to get one. Many who have had subscriptions are leaving.

It's dying, and there is no way around it. There is NOTHING they can do to turn the ship around, so the only option is just to keep charging the existing subscriber base more and more as they lose more members. It seems backwards, but its the only option.

The more that leave, the higher the price will go, the higher price will cause even more to leave, even if they love the newspaper until only a solid little core is left that is willing to pay an outrageous price for the daily paper. Then it comes down to whether or not it's worth it for the business (enough profit) to hump old people to death with prices for the return they get.

My dad for example doesn't use a computer, only reads the paper, no smart phone. He has a flip phone that he can only use to make calls, he doesn't know how to check voicemail or make a text message. If the paper in his little town goes down he will be stuck with only the free over the air TV news that he gets today.

It's alot like cigarettes. They are having a really hard time recruiting new members, and more and more people are quitting or not starting in the first place. The only option is to raise the price on those stupid enough to still smoke.

The subscriber fee usually covers the printing and delivery costs. The staff and administrative cost is paid out of the advertising sales.

we wish it was still like that (it was pre-internet)....most papers ow lose money on the delivery/printing, ads are the only way to get any money in the door....and even then more and more papers barely break even at the end of the year and many are already at skeleton crew status.

My local paper website started charging for viewing their content. ,

Yeah I work at a small paper and we have fought the idea of a paywall tooth and nail for years.

We lucked out and where an early user of "google surveys" so while it is annoying that once per day you have to answer some stupid question about soap, you don't have to pay to view online content directly. (and in practice most of the time you can answer 5 questions in a row and unlock 7 days of interruption free reading.)

We get a fewcomplaints, but once they understand that someone has to pay for news (newspapers are not public service jobs) and the choice is either the reader pays their way or they let google pay their way, they are pretty quick to let google pay their way.

We even had it where for $5 a month, you could opt out of surveys entirely and, as expected, no one took us up on that.

Newspapers still has its place in modern society....where else can you buy something so cheap to cover the floor when doing projects, or mask something from overs pray...etc

There is NOTHING they can do to turn the ship around, so the only option is just to keep charging the existing subscriber base more and more as they lose more members. It seems backwards, but its the only option.

The more that leave, the higher the price will go, the higher price will cause even more to leave, even if they love the newspaper until only a solid little core is left that is willing to pay an outrageous price for the daily paper. Then it comes down to whether or not it's worth it for the business (enough profit) to hump old people to death with prices for the return they get.

Yet, when the send me a high priced renewal notice, and I call them and tell them to just cancel the paper, they always seem to have a much better price available.

Even so, it's getting to the price point that I might just cancel the paper that I've been receiving for 30 years or switch to Sunday only. (Yes I'm one of those older people)

Damn them for charging to see black Friday ads! I mean it's not like none of those ads are available online anywhere!

I'm 28 and I remember my dad getting the paper every weekend. He doesn't anymore, he's 50 and knows how to use the internet, thankfully

Its amazing how quickly things change.

Speaking as a former newspaper delivery person (when I was 12) I always wanted to charge more for those stupidly huge newspapers during the Christmas season. Those things were HEAVY.

we wish it was still like that (it was pre-internet)....most papers ow lose money on the delivery/printing, ads are the only way to get any money in the door....and even then more and more papers barely break even at the end of the year and many are already at skeleton crew status.

True but most aren't really worth continuing, especially the smaller ones.

The few small town newspapers I've seen in the last few years not only actually covered news, they just repeat whatever is fed to them by the newsfeeds and local politicians and local press releases. It's sad, as at the local level they can make a difference, but instead they choose to be repeater stations.

If this happens, then the amount of complaints about people getting their newspapers home delivered stolen will rise

It would make me dump my subscription to the paper if I got a letter like that. Of course that's all theoretical anyway seeing as I don't subscribe to one of those news printed on trees delivery services. I thought they all went out of business around the turn of the century. Oh well, won't be much longer.

But seriously, even my parents (who bought their first HDTV this year) are down to one paper a week. No one I know who is under 40 (and almost no one under 60) reads their news on paper anymore. Newspapers are dying out rapidly (the physical publication, I can see a place for news websites with similar content).

I am sorry.. I can't do it.. I know propaganda when I see it.. here in the US we make such an effort to accuse everybody else of propaganda, Meanwhile we are swimming in it.. it is less -in your face, but propaganda none the less.
I am not paying for it nor am I paying for an NSA spy device.. I mean smartphone.. free I will take it.. I know how to read US propaganda for the most part.
Russia and China BTW are learning a little bit from the US on how to do propaganda better, less-in your face.

Newspapers still has its place in modern society....where else can you buy something so cheap to cover the floor when doing projects, or mask something from overs pray...etc

Why would you buy a newspaper? Most cities/towns have a free circular that you can get.

Back