Newsdemon Usenet Unlimited + VPN for $39/year

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
Newsdemon has a $39/year unlimited special right now. Also includes VPN.
Link

I was paying $10/mo, so this saves a bundle, a lot more than switching to Geico, lol.

Haven't used usenet in quite a while. Does anything worth downloading still get taken down in 13.2 seconds?

Haven't used usenet in quite a while. Does anything worth downloading still get taken down in 13.2 seconds?

depends on how it's posted. A lot of things are posted in cryptic letters and numbers, when you download it, you end up with a bunch of files with random letters and numbers and quickpar renames the files for you.
So if they are looking at the files on the usenet server, you can't decipher what it is unless you download it and have it renamed.

I've grabbed stuff over 2000 days old and it was still on the server,
HBO is very aggressive though, some of their stuff lasts only a day or so, but there are quite a few reposts of their content so you can probably still find it a few days later.

this is an example of what the files look like on the server and what it looks like when quickpar is processing the data,

usenet-files.jpg

And after it's done,

usenet-files2.jpg

Last edited:
Don't see the use of usenet anymore. Why pay for something when you can just use something like iptorrent for free? I have never even got a strike from either Comcast or Verizon over the past 20 years.

Pretty much, you have to use a program or service to snatch them as soon as they go up. I forget what I used to use, but once setup for everything, it was super easy, and stuff was uploaded before the torrent sites got it....I am not sure that is the case anymore though. the other downside vs torrents is being able to discover new things, as most stuff is taken down VERY fast, you don't get to see something and go "that sounds interesting", you also miss out on the nfo you get with torrent sites for downloads of what you are getting, and there is a TON of spam, something private torrent sites are good with, and will probably never see.

Don't see the use of usenet anymore. Why pay for something when you can just use something like iptorrent for free? I have never even got a strike from either Comcast or Verizon over the past 20 years.

Not much of a reason really, most stuff has moved on, and some of the good groups are no longer around, or just spam filled. Setting up a program to auto download fav shows etc can all be done with torrents now without the need to pay for a usenet service, an indexer/search engine, spam etc etc. when I was still using it, they did have better access to some older stuff that might be hard to find a seed somewhere for, but outside of that....

I will say newsdemon was always a good service, with good speeds, I just rather other options now. Usenet also has a learning curve, and some of the better indexing sites you need to pay for or get invited to. Torrents you just pick a program (free) and sign up to a free site and done. I still get warm and fuzzy thinking about usenet, but I find myself still using torrents for everything.

I would say its best for people with slower or capped connections and can't seed torrents etc because of it.

I've never heard of the american horror story version of linux. Is it Cent-OS based or Fedora based?

I'm still using their $3.99 a month offer they had back on New Year's Day (that price is good as long as I keep it active) for the unlimited newsgroups + the VPN service and I've made use of it, sure. :)

And yes, there is some content from 3750+ days ago that's still easy to acquire which is quite remarkable: 10 full years of "stuff" if you're willing to go back that far, yep. Been using Usenet since it first appeared long long ago (for actual discussions) and when UUEncode came along that changed basically everything. I look at what some of the big groups have for sheer content measured in size right now and it's insane and it just keeps increasing as you'd expect:

alt.binaries.boneless = 17 petabytes just in that one group alone and the next closest one has about 1/3rd of that (alt.binaries.mom). The top 10 groups at this point have over 45 petabytes of data and that's just the top 10, and probably a terabyte or more per day gets added. I can't even imagine the space it takes just to get headers from the boneless group, well into the billions of 'em so it would take a freakin' multi-terabyte storage array to hold the headers I bet. :D

I'm still using their $3.99 a month offer they had back on New Year's Day (that price is good as long as I keep it active) for the unlimited newsgroups + the VPN service and I've made use of it, sure. :)

And yes, there is some content from 3750+ days ago that's still easy to acquire which is quite remarkable: 10 full years of "stuff" if you're willing to go back that far, yep. Been using Usenet since it first appeared long long ago (for actual discussions) and when UUEncode came along that changed basically everything. I look at what some of the big groups have for sheer content measured in size right now and it's insane and it just keeps increasing as you'd expect:

alt.binaries.boneless = 17 petabytes just in that one group alone and the next closest one has about 1/3rd of that (alt.binaries.mom). The top 10 groups at this point have over 45 petabytes of data and that's just the top 10, and probably a terabyte or more per day gets added. I can't even imagine the space it takes just to get headers from the boneless group, well into the billions of 'em so it would take a freakin' multi-terabyte storage array to hold the headers I bet. :D

I've always wondered about the data centers that store all that data for that long and the costs associated with it.

Comcast went nuts with the strikes a couple years ago, until I got a VPN. Haven't had one since.

Back