Newsday To Charge For It Website

HardOCP News

[H] News
Finally! A website where you can pay for content that everyone else is getting for free! A warning to all you freebie news sites out there, your days are numbered. Soon, you too will have to start charging money for service that is free everywhere else so you can remain “competitive” too!

Our goal was and is to use our electronic network assets and subscriber relationships to transform the way news is distributed," he said on a conference call with analysts."We plan to end the distribution of free Web content and make our news gathering capabilities a service for our customers," he added.

I find it kind of funny any site would think this way. I mean, most news sites I run across just "report" (repost) content from Reuters and AP - usually verbatim. It's becoming more and more rare where I find a news org anywhere that actually posts their own stories.

I personally like what they do over at ESPN.com. Offer some stories for free but also have a section where exclusives are put up for paid subscribers. Just offer a snippet of the article and if they want to continue reading, sign up.

But then again, what was echoed earlier in this thread is that most sites copy other articles from other sites so having their own content and unique story and whatever else would have to be a given.

Excellent, I have been waiting to pay for this content instead of getting free. I wish the RIAA and MPAA would take a lesson from these guys!

I don't mind sites having ads and sponsors to help foot the bill, but some of the crap (such as Intellitext) goes too far.

I find it kind of funny any site would think this way. I mean, most news sites I run across just "report" (repost) content from Reuters and AP - usually verbatim. It's becoming more and more rare where I find a news org anywhere that actually posts their own stories.
That's because free means you can't PAY workers to do it, you can't pay reporters to go out and report, investigative reporting is becoming a dying art at least within news organizations, writing column and giving opinions on the news seems like the only thing that's left you see online from the dying newspaper model.

That's because free means you can't PAY workers to do it, you can't pay reporters to go out and report, investigative reporting is becoming a dying art at least within news organizations, writing column and giving opinions on the news seems like the only thing that's left you see online from the dying newspaper model.

This isn't the internet's fault, this started back when the laws where changed and mass media consolidation was ushered in (thank you Ronald Reagan). You get a corporation who owns 30 media groups and what do they care about? Reporting the news? HAHAHAHAH

They care about profits, and if you can't make more profits every year by selling more subscriptions you do it by cutting costs. Which means cutting staff. This began far before the internet and drove my wife out of the industry. Every year they would just cut more and more and "copy & paste" AP stories over and over. It helped the stock price, short-term, and when have these asshats ever cared about anything else?

Look at recent stories,things are tough for the news industry in general.Newspapers are folding or filing for Chapter 11 all over the place.Going online was supposed to generate profits,but the ad income just isn't enough to do it for free.

At first, I thought Newsweek then I realized it wasn't it and went "What the fuck is Newsday?"

I ^%&*$&%$^&*&%$^ hate Intellitext

I second this. Makes it annoying when you mouse over it for .00001 seconds, some big ass 'speech bubble' pops up and you can't get rid of it. Worse are the few I have seen that play audio/video.

I second this. Makes it annoying when you mouse over it for .00001 seconds, some big ass 'speech bubble' pops up and you can't get rid of it. Worse are the few I have seen that play audio/video.
"Congratulations, you've won a free (insert product) ... again I want to say congratulations"

Or in the obviously isolated incident of Dan Rather "Inventive Reporting"

This isn't the internet's fault, this started back when the laws where changed and mass media consolidation was ushered in (thank you Ronald Reagan). You get a corporation who owns 30 media groups and what do they care about? Reporting the news? HAHAHAHAH

They care about profits, and if you can't make more profits every year by selling more subscriptions you do it by cutting costs. Which means cutting staff. This began far before the internet and drove my wife out of the industry. Every year they would just cut more and more and "copy & paste" AP stories over and over. It helped the stock price, short-term, and when have these asshats ever cared about anything else?

So you are saying that the liberal brainwashing of America was Reagan's fault? He surely must have penned from the grave the revision to the fairness doctrine as well. Hope your wife has a job now that the internet is established.

Or in the obviously isolated incident of Dan Rather "Inventive Reporting"
So you are saying that the liberal brainwashing of America was Reagan's fault? He surely must have penned from the grave the revision to the fairness doctrine as well. Hope your wife has a job now that the internet is established.

People.... please. This had nothing to do with politics until you brought your own issues in here.

Anyhow... I grew up with Newsday, being from NY. Like other local papers (i forget, The Daily News?) are specifically written to about a 5th grade level and cater lean to sensationalism, in order to get to their target audience. That target audience will be more drawn to blogs and other such stuff online, they will not pay to read their newspaper.

The only news someone would pay for is thorough investigative journalism from a paper with excellent integrity. This person would pay for it because they want to understand, not because they want to be entertained. Newsday doesn't stand a chance for this reason.

Back