[NEWS] Real Networks to Linux - DRM or Die

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
I know alot are thinkign Vista will be the final push to go to Linux, but if Linux distro's are willing to put in drm....... then what?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Real Networks to Linux - DRM or Die |
| from the penguins-hate-ultimatums dept. |
| posted by Zonk on Tuesday April 11, @11:39 (Media) |
| http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/11/152234 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

Baronvaile writes "ArsTechnica is running a story about RealNetworks VP
Jeff Ayars at LinuxWorld Boston discussing [0]the future of Linux for the
consumer, if it does not support DRM." From the article: "Ayers has a few
supporters in this issue from the Linux camp, as Novell, Linspire, and
Red Hat spokespeople reportedly said they would be happy to add DRM to
their distributions, but with some caveats. Novell, for example, is
"currently in discussions with vendors who control proprietary formats"
with the goal of supporting these formats in SuSE Linux. One can only
surmise exactly which formats that would be, but recent rumblings from
Redmond make it likely that Microsoft DRM solutions such as PlaysForSure
could be among them."

Discuss this story at:
http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=06/04/11/152234

Links:
0. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060410-6569.html

The difference between vista and linux WRT drm is that drm will never be required in linux. It will always be optional. With that being said, I don't think drm will ever really take of in the linux world. First and foremost, it is completely counter to everything gnu and the FSF stand for. Secondly, no drm scheme is perfect. Every single one of them is breakable at some level. It would be great to not have to break the law just to play some files, but there's no way I'm going to run some closed drm binary from some random drm company. No thanks. I like to be able to trust the code that I'm running on my systems. :)

I already have DRM in Linux

The latest Adobe-Reader has DRM in it. I have some engineering eBooks and I had to emerge the latest Adobe to read it

Does Linux need DRM to function? NO
Will DRM be built into Linux? NO
Could I remove it? YES

Does Windows:Vista need DRM to function? YES and NO (doesn't need it but getting it)
Will DRM be built into Vista? YES
Could I remove it? YES

You dont want DRM on a Linux distro? just dont install the package that uses it

There isn't anything wrong in principle with DRM, it is when it is being used to take away the right to use yr PC. The Adobe one does not. It only runs when I start Adobe (and that is only for web-plugin or eBooks, the rest of the time I use GNOME pdf viewer it is faster and better)

IF play4Sure comes to linux I would install it since I could then access my Creative:Zen (wouldn't use the play4sure for music DRM, I only buy CD's and NEVER online music) IF HDTV:DRM came to linux I would not install it

When I read the thread title I was expecting Realnetworks to say that there would be no Realplayer for Linux if Linux didn't add DRM in. If that was the case, it would be another strong reason to go to Linux in my opinion.

I currently still use XP for my main systems and only run Linux on a couple box and they are running a specialty distro created for one purpose. But remember, once you start, you just can't stop.

Back