Newest MacBook Pro Retina is here!

I'm of the opinion that discrete gpu's in laptops are not needed. They're an extra part, increase cost and temperature, require cooling etc. Except for the following cases -

1. gaming laptop
2. heavy workstation graphics (CAD/rendering etc)

#1 is a very niche audience which Apple doesn't really cater to anyway. #2 is already well on the way there with the integrated chipset graphics. And actually, both these groups of people don't mind bigger, heavier laptops.

Apple is making a very targeted move to focus on their most likely audience, normal people who don't need a discrete gpu. And at the same time, massively increasing their profit margins for those who do!

They didn't become the richest company by offering pragmatic solutions to everyone's needs ;)

Its not that the GPU can't drive a retina display its that the GPU would use too much power doing it.

The air is designed for the best battery life.
Apple claims the new system can figure when to use GPU more and less, very smart

Is anybody else having issues with the keyboard and/or trackpad completely freezing? Apparently a lot of people are posting on the Apple Support Communities forum, complaining about this, and that a hard reset is the only way to fix the issue.

I've been planning to upgrade to a new 13 inch, but I think I'll wait a little bit.

Yes, I've had this happen twice now on my new MBPr in the last few days. Closing the lid for 60 seconds has worked for me. There's supposed to be a fix to Mavericks coming.

i just got the 15inch top of the range from the apple store and loving it so far. amazing laptop. very powerful.

my first ever mac laptop

i just got the 15inch top of the range from the apple store and loving it so far. amazing laptop. very powerful.

my first ever mac laptop

Same here, it's great. This is my first Apple product period. This thing can do just about everything, in a small, great looking package. The super fast PCI-e SSD just makes everything feel effortless.

I did a lot of research before buying a laptop. I wanted something with a thin chassis, decent battery life, and a discrete GPU that could handle some gaming. This does all of that, plus you get the various benefits of OS X as well as Windows if you use Boot Camp. The only products I could find (aside from the MBP) were the Gigabyte P35K, MSI GS70, and Dell XPS 15 Touch, each of which have issues. The Gigabyte has a weak/flimsy chassis, and GS70 is very noisy, and the Dell wasn't going to be available for a few weeks. Besides, I really wanted to be able to use Final Cut Pro X so that kind of limited my choices. :p

I'll be using this thing for years to come :)

Sweet. My Gen1 Retina just blew up... (Lasted 1 year and 1 month lol) Just in time for me to get the new one.

*sigh*, I had to no choice and needed a new computer last winter, thankfully just as the new Retina MBP were coming out....at least I thought my timing was good. While the refreshes at least haven't been major, the last couple that have happened since (happening in no time at all mind you) makes me kind of sad :/ . Maybe if everything wasn't permanent it wouldn't be so bad, but even stuff like getting 8GB of ram over 16GB I knew I'd be wincing at at some point :/ .

Back