Newer Tesla Vehicles Are Getting Upgraded 'Summon' Auto-Parking Features

It can keep track of parking lots better than any human, yet still runs itself into a barrier at highway speeds.

Right now, we can play the numbers game with self driving cars (automated driving accounts for x accidents, human driving accounts for y accidents), but they make mistakes that no reasonable human paying a minimum amount of attention would make. As the tech improves, these kinds of things will get worked out, but I still don't think we're there yet. I'm not pessimistic enough to say we're 20 years out, but a good 3-7? Absolutely.

I don’t know. I’ve worked with mobile robots for companies that did it far longer than Tesla and every now and then they would mess up the firmware. You install a new one and suddenly you get a call it drove itself into a wall without even trying to brake.

I have yet to see a software platform in any industry that is bug free....

If you believe this, buy one. But any good engineer will tell you, you can't think of everything.
I do own a model 3.

Also the "you can't think of everything" doesn't apply here. This is all deep learning not human-written conditional code

I do own a model 3.

Also the "you can't think of everything" doesn't apply here. This is all deep learning not human-written conditional code

Deep learning means if you didn't train for it; it's random chance if it works, so that fits right into you can't think of everything. Also it means nobody can understand or explain why it did or didn't work, or fix it. That's a big nope right there.

Deep learning means if you didn't train for it; it's random chance if it works, so that fits right into you can't think of everything. Also it means nobody can understand or explain why it did or didn't work, or fix it. That's a big nope right there.

Again you dont understand how this works. Tesla's collecting countless real world miles be it roads, freeways, parking lots. What's not more real?

Again you dont understand how this works. Tesla's collecting countless real world miles be it roads, freeways, parking lots. What's not more real?
Deep learning will get you to a solution, not necessarily a safe or realistic one. But drive your car if it makes you happy, I'll be in my oversized truck :)

They've sure been collecting a lot of data, but somehow their cars don't seem to be able to avoid stationary vehicles, like firetrucks, in the road. Hopefully they'll fix that before they turn it loose in the parking lot full of stationary vehicles. I fully expect autopark mode, if it's actually released, to comically drive into parked cars, concrete barriers, low/obstructed ceilings and down boat ramps into lakes. If that's what you want to do with your money, please get a dash cam, so we can enjoy the results.

They've sure been collecting a lot of data, but somehow their cars don't seem to be able to avoid stationary vehicles, like firetrucks, in the road. Hopefully they'll fix that before they turn it loose in the parking lot full of stationary vehicles. I fully expect autopark mode, if it's actually released, to comically drive into parked cars, concrete barriers, low/obstructed ceilings and down boat ramps into lakes. If that's what you want to do with your money, please get a dash cam, so we can enjoy the results.

I can tell you've never driven in a Tesla or any other autonomous vehicle for that matter :)

I can imagine a future where your car drops you off and tries to find a parking place... however in this future your car and the cars of everyone else can't find a parking spot so snarl up the parking lots traffic not letting anyone leave, forever trapping you at the first place you stop.

I can tell you've never driven in a Tesla or any other autonomous vehicle for that matter :)

Wow you took your weak arguement and turned it into a piss poor n=1 personal experience? Nice.

He doesn’t need personal experience. For one it’s meaningless in this arguement and Tesla gives us all the data we need:
“South Jordan police said the Tesla Model S was going 60 mph when it slammed into the back of a fire truck stopped at a red light. The car appeared not to brake before impact, police said.”

Wow you took your weak arguement and turned it into a piss poor n=1 personal experience? Nice.

He doesn’t need personal experience. For one it’s meaningless in this arguement and Tesla gives us all the data we need:
“South Jordan police said the Tesla Model S was going 60 mph when it slammed into the back of a fire truck stopped at a red light. The car appeared not to brake before impact, police said.”

And you show your ignorance about how quickly technology advances. This is an exponential technology. It's not static. What was the state a year ago is not the state today. Will there be accidents? Yes. Will there be far less than with humans driving? Yes.

Last edited:

I've driven (and own) a vehicle with lane keeping, automated emegemergy braking, and whatever the name for fancy cruise control is. Incidentally, that's what the Tesla has too, not the autonomy you've been sold. I don't like the fancy cruise control in my vehicle, because it operates in car lengths and two cars is uncomfortably close, but three cars is an embossed invitation to pull in front of me -- I'm sure that's fixable.

Anyway, having a computer continuously supervise a human driver and help out when it can is certainly a good way to increase safety. Having a computer driving that needs continuous supervision is a great way to ensure supervision is not properly performed; for the vast majority of the time the computer can handle the situation and drive fine, in the few cases where it accelerates into stationary objects (or whatever dumb thing it wants to do), you only have seconds to recognize the situation and hit the brakes. Humans aren't so great at going from not really paying attention to detecting danger to taking appropriate response in the kind of timelines needed.

(Heck, in some cases humans aren't very good at determining appropriate action either)

It's also totally inconsistent with safety that the telsa vehicles attempt to detect no hands on the wheel, and when they do that, they just beep, there's no escalation to a controlled stop where it's safe (driving slowly until a safe place is identified, if necessary).

I've driven (and own) a vehicle with lane keeping, automated emegemergy braking, and whatever the name for fancy cruise control is. Incidentally, that's what the Tesla has too, not the autonomy you've been sold. I don't like the fancy cruise control in my vehicle, because it operates in car lengths and two cars is uncomfortably close, but three cars is an embossed invitation to pull in front of me -- I'm sure that's fixable.

Anyway, having a computer continuously supervise a human driver and help out when it can is certainly a good way to increase safety. Having a computer driving that needs continuous supervision is a great way to ensure supervision is not properly performed; for the vast majority of the time the computer can handle the situation and drive fine, in the few cases where it accelerates into stationary objects (or whatever dumb thing it wants to do), you only have seconds to recognize the situation and hit the brakes. Humans aren't so great at going from not really paying attention to detecting danger to taking appropriate response in the kind of timelines needed.

(Heck, in some cases humans aren't very good at determining appropriate action either)

It's also totally inconsistent with safety that the telsa vehicles attempt to detect no hands on the wheel, and when they do that, they just beep, there's no escalation to a controlled stop where it's safe (driving slowly until a safe place is identified, if necessary).

You're missing the point. This car of yours, when was the last time its software was upgraded? I assume never. You're stuck in a static world, not an exponential one.

My Tesla Model 3 is now autonomous exit to exit on freeways (which is amazing). I get software updates every week or two. The autopilot now is comparably better than it was even 3 months ago

Back