Newer Build Clean Install?

bikemanI7

n00b
Hello There

Appears local PC shop either cloned the install, or something, as didn't have to do an install when got system home on June 30th, seems to be running fine for most programs, Evga precision X1 won't open though for some reason, debating if i should take the time to do a clean install or just wait til i can afford a M.2 nvme drive, and clean up system then. Opinions Welcome

Hello There

Appears local PC shop either cloned the install, or something, as didn't have to do an install when got system home on June 30th, seems to be running fine for most programs, Evga precision X1 won't open though for some reason, debating if i should take the time to do a clean install or just wait til i can afford a M.2 nvme drive, and clean up system then. Opinions Welcome
While Windows does pretty well usually, not everything else does. Eventually it's worthwhile to clean out all of that extra 'cruff', even for subjective reasons, just like cleaning off your desk.

If you can wait until you have a separate drive that you can build up independently, that's probably a reasonable route to take.

I would 100% wipe the drive and do a clean install from scratch if you think they just used a clone of their image, who knows whats on it. Even if they did a clean install on the disk, I still wouldnt trust someone else to have access to my OS before I do.

I would 100% wipe the drive and do a clean install from scratch if you think they just used a clone of their image, who knows whats on it. Even if they did a clean install on the disk, I still wouldnt trust someone else to have access to my OS before I do.

Well theres a Patriot SSD folder in my C:\Program Files, except idon't own a Patriot M.2 SSD lol, somehow they got the original Samsung 860 EVO to recognize the new motherboard, and all the hardware of new build, without even redoing my original Windows 10 2004 install from May 27th. will backup some files, and get it done possibly upcoming weekend or sooner if i get the time with RL and all

Only drivers it appears, and a few dlls left in that folder though now
Aac_Patriot Viper M2 SSD RGB folder says that as folder name

Before i can proceed with a fresh clean install, gonna finish a few backups first of all, gather drivers for all the hardware, make sure have everything i need before i start, and find my usb stick that was created on May 27th, or i may redo it and get an updated iso from media creation tool

Last edited:
somehow they got the original Samsung 860 EVO to recognize the new motherboard, and all the hardware of new build, without even redoing my original Windows 10 2004 install from May 27th. will backup some files, and get it done possibly upcoming weekend or sooner if i get the time with RL and all
This isn't really a challenge. The basic driver structure for most hardware hasn't changed in something like five years, and Microsoft has support in their repositories for any common consumer hardware available.

At worst would be a new / obscure WiFi module or other NIC, that you'd want to have staged on the USB stick.

Right understands that, not a major challenge at all, can have done asap here, got most of the drivers already downloaded, and organzing on flash drive, backing up music folder to external now, and gonna check pictures, and such--then think all good to go

Right understands that, not a major challenge at all, can have done asap here, got most of the drivers already downloaded, and organzing on flash drive, backing up music folder to external now, and gonna check pictures, and such--then think all good to go
Might want to make sure you dump your license keys for software into a spreadsheet somewhere (USB stick, cloud storage, etc.). In case you can't find or don't have them archived elsewhere :).

Yeah was thinking of that as well, i think i do have them saved somewhere, but i'll make sure first on that part

I recently did a "clean" install.
But I straight up copied my User folder to a different hard drive, reinstalled windows clean, and then transferred over folders from my old user folder for programs and stuff I didn't want to lose (mostly game saves, confirguration files and the like). Works well enough for me.

If I install something and it looks like settings and stuff are missing, I just go back to that backup and copy it over.

Back