Limp Gawd
Decent deal for those that need a license for new systems

Newegg Promo codes expire 10/25

Full version of WIndows 8 - $69.99
Promo Code - EMCJNJA83

Full Version of Windows 8 Pro - $109.99
Promo Code - EMCJNJA87

Can only install on 1 motherboard?

That is the rule on paper, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem activating an OEM copy of Windows when switching to a new setup. I've done so multiple times on multiple versions of Windows. Back in the XP days you might have to call, but I've never had that issue with Win 7. I suspect Win 8 shouldn't dramatically change things.

That is the rule on paper, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem activating an OEM copy of Windows when switching to a new setup. I've done so multiple times on multiple versions of Windows. Back in the XP days you might have to call, but I've never had that issue with Win 7. I suspect Win 8 shouldn't dramatically change things.

That's not the new rule on paper. You can now transfer it to any machine you build as long as the license key is only active on one computer. OEM and Retail are combined now into one license.

That's not the new rule on paper. You can now transfer it to any machine you build as long as the license key is only active on one computer. OEM and Retail are combined now into one license.

Is that new for 8 or was it the same with 7?

you just do not get the retail packaging and possibly technical phone support. Besides that its the same operating system.

I know it's the same OS but I'm surprised MS would combine both the retail and OEM versions...I always purchased OEM and installed them on multiple drives (although only 1 active at any given time)

Is there any point in buying OEM versions since the current upgrade version is so much cheaper? I mean all you need is an old version of windows right?

Is there any point in buying OEM versions since the current upgrade version is so much cheaper? I mean all you need is an old version of windows right?

Yeah, is the $40 upgrade version not a clean install upgrade?

There is bound to be a way to clean install from an upgrade, Vista and 7 you could install and then install overtop itself. Someone who needs to do this and finds the way will tell the rest of us.

I have the Windows 7 Family Pack upgrade and I install it as a full install on a fresh drive by not inputting the key when it asks. Once it is installed and on the desktop I put the code in through the system properties and its fine.

Last edited:
I wasnt going to do Win8 but I have to admit, for $70, thats not a bad deal. Im not looking to reinstall everything but it would be nice to have for when I do cause I switch motherboards every couple years now and like to do a fresh install when I do.

OEM and Retail are combined into 1?
This is not actually a good thing. Maybe its changed since this was first discussed. But once the introductory offers are over, the price picture for Windows 8 isn't exactly an improvement over current Win7 price points, especially relatively to current OEM prices.

I wasnt going to do Win8 but I have to admit, for $70, thats not a bad deal. Im not looking to reinstall everything but it would be nice to have for when I do cause I switch motherboards every couple years now and like to do a fresh install when I do.
Agreed. $70 is cheaper than past operating systems from Microsoft. Now I won't feel so bad buying an OEM version for a desktop build!

Back