Newegg to start charging sales tax to eight new states starting July 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
raw.png

Everybody charges tax in WA now, yes even ebay, amazon, and rakuten marketplaces (obviously Amazon always have on regular Amazon purchases given their nexus in the state).

View attachment 165779

Everybody charges tax in WA now, yes even ebay, amazon, and rakuten marketplaces (obviously Amazon always have on regular Amazon purchases given their nexus in the state).

Sales tax is automatically collected on items I sell on ebay from certain states. Previously you had to opt in to collect it (I don't sell enough to require collecting) but it looks like ebay is doing it automatically for certain states. This includes some items that were marked as used if I recall.

Hi All

I stopped using Newegg quite some time ago. I either use Microcenter or B&H Photo

Outside of a specific promotional price, I'm lucky to be within driving distance of 2 microcenters so I'd rather give them my money, especially on a big buy like cpu+mobo combos which MC gives extra discounts on.

Well you had NCIX up there. If I recall NE didn't have much of a physical presence in Canada. You people are very spread out over a large mass. Of couse shipping is going to be expensive coming from another country.

most of what i see on newegg is already in canada.

there is only a select few things that aren't

here is a funny anecdote the newegg canada ebay store has lower shipping rates than the newegg canada store

Would be nice to have a Microcenter here in Orlando. Unfortunately, ever since Tiger Direct closed most of their stores we have no place to buy computer hardware (Best Buy does not really count with their crap selection and even crappier prices).

Arizona
Arkansas
Florida
Kansas
New Mexico <-- my state :barefoot:
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
Virginia

we need the revenue

This really cools down the choice between Amazon and Newegg for me. Stopped using Amazon when they dropped a warehouse down in Central FL.

Well you can go back to using Amazon then, because the Quill decision (the one that made a physical presence the rational for collecting taxes) was overturned in S. Dekota v. Wayfair, now any state can collect sales tax from an online entity (assuming it's in the US), as long as they have a certain level of sales to said state (I think it's something like $100k/yearly which is really easy to accomplish). And it really is inevitable for all states that have sales tax will eventually require a collection, so unless you want to move to Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, or Oregon you're going to end up paying sales tax practically everywhere.

The upside at least is it's just the state sales tax, some areas can add a percent or two above that due to local voters fucking up the natural order of things and requiring everyone to fork over money.

Amazon vs. Newegg? I really don't care, I use both. The only thing that annoys me about Newegg is paying that $2.99 rush fee to get it out the door.

The thing that annoys me about Amazon is their awful, Awful, AWFUL search system. It's absolutely stupid. You're looking for 2TB NVMe PCIe SSDs, you sort by lowest price, and you end up with five pages of cables, SATA mounts, thumb drives ... bullshit. They have so much shit in their search, but you have to look at every page in case you miss something. And after you pass a certain point you realize they aren't sorted by price anymore.

Don't get me started about searching for clothes on Amazon (I'm 6' 7.5"). Even Walmart can figure out how to find you your clothes better than Amazon can.

Amazon vs. Newegg? I really don't care, I use both. The only thing that annoys me about Newegg is paying that $2.99 rush fee to get it out the door.

The thing that annoys me about Amazon is their awful, Awful, AWFUL search system. It's absolutely stupid. You're looking for 2TB NVMe PCIe SSDs, you sort by lowest price, and you end up with five pages of cables, SATA mounts, thumb drives ... bullshit. They have so much shit in their search, but you have to look at every page in case you miss something. And after you pass a certain point you realize they aren't sorted by price anymore.

Don't get me started about searching for clothes on Amazon (I'm 6' 7.5"). Even Walmart can figure out how to find you your clothes better than Amazon can.

I was just looking up storage shelves a couple days ago, I put in the measurements and number of shelves. It showed me everything but what I searched for. I really wish they would drop the bullshit and just say "no matches found" and maybe suggest some changes to your search terms to widen the search.

I don't go to Newegg for much anymore. They decided to be just like Amazon ..... and are completely outclassed.

That being said, I have to weight the pros and cons of having Amazon put up a warehouse close by in Tucson, the impact, and the taxes. Off the top of my head I'd say there's more in the plus column then the minus.

I just got an email from the egg and it says I have to pay tax in Oregon.

Occasionally Newegg Shell Shocker or email deal is "ok" though (vs others).

Newegg will begin collecting sales tax on most purchases shipped to Texas on October 1, 2019. Please note that there will be no sales tax collected on purchases processed on or before September 30, 2019.

Argh

My sentiments Texas brother. Newegg has had no drop off over the years imo, seems I differ from others here. Amazon can be a day faster sometimes as we have a warehouse in San Antonio. Doesnt matter, I shop for the lowest price, corporations have no soul. What I do not want is fewer and fewer players in the online pc parts game. This is a kick to the crotch.

I've saved thousands by avoiding tax on newegg over the years. This is going to impact my future builds in a big way... Very disappointing.

When did Oregon start having sales tax? Or is that the whole point of your post? LOL

I worked up there for a while and it was strange not paying sales tax, but I didn't complain. I also bought a car while I was there :)

If Oregon is still sales tax free, that is illegal.

Other states that have sales tax, the tax goes back to the States, Newegg should NOT profit from it. If they do, that is illegal.

the States need the tax money but this might cause folks to shop locally but I doubt it because the item plus the local tax will be quite a bit higher than buying online

I was just looking up storage shelves [on Amazon] a couple days ago

Funny you should mention that. I was looking at ergonomic desks yesterday and most of what I saw were those little sit-stand adjustable ones that go on top of a regular desk. Oh, and chairs. And also foot rests. Had to work to see just desks.

(I wound up ordering a Eureka Ergonomics RS-1. I've unboxed it but haven't put it together yet--it seems decent, though. The desk itself is not, as a few 1-star reviews claim, pressed cardboard. :)

Dear Customer,

Last year the U.S. Supreme Court changed the law regarding sales tax collection for e-commerce transactions by out-of-state sellers. What this means for customers such as yourself is that, instead of being responsible for reporting and paying your own use tax on such purchases, e-commerce companies like Newegg are now required to collect sales tax from you at the time of purchase.

To comply with the Supreme Court ruling, Newegg will begin collecting sales tax on most purchases shipped to Texas on October 1, 2019. Please note that there will be no sales tax collected on purchases processed on or before September 30, 2019.

This change in policy doesn't affect the amount of tax customers owe - it simply requires that Newegg collects taxes up front. Visit our Sales/Use Tax page to Learn More.

If you are a tax-exempt organization or reseller, we encourage you to follow these instructions regarding tax exemptions when purchasing from Newegg.

At Newegg, we greatly appreciate your loyalty over the years, and we hope to earn your continued patronage by doing what we do best: delivering great deals on the best tech around.

Best Regards,

Your Newegg Customer Service Team

…..

Looks like they are talking about Texas and not Oregon since I haven't updated my info with the egg since I moved.

What I want to know is when is the government going to make Amazon, Netflix and the other big tech companies pay taxes?

What I want to know is when is the government going to make Amazon, Netflix and the other big tech companies pay taxes?
This is about sales taxs. Also those companies do pay their taxs. Anyway it is only a matter of time before all e-commerce start collecting sales tax. Surprised it took so long as is. States have been leaving billions on the table.

My sentiments Texas brother. Newegg has had no drop off over the years imo, seems I differ from others here. Amazon can be a day faster sometimes as we have a warehouse in San Antonio. Doesnt matter, I shop for the lowest price, corporations have no soul. What I do not want is fewer and fewer players in the online pc parts game. This is a kick to the crotch.

Both Amazon and Newegg sell their own stock, and stock from other retail outlets. Each player is in fact a competitor who brokers their own competition. If NewEgg shut their doors, NewEgg's resale of other people's products would stop, but their "partner" retailers would just shift on over the Amazon, if they aren't selling on both outlets as it is.

kinda off topic but has anyone seen newegg's eBay feedback? Not only is it really bad, people are saying the same things and eBay removed the link to newegg's feedback form there listings so you have to go out of your say to find it.

I've bought stuff from newegg off Ebay. Usually the same price on their site but once in a while, there is a promo which makes it cheaper on Ebay. Regardless, I've never had a problem.

the States need the tax money but this might cause folks to shop locally but I doubt it because the item plus the local tax will be quite a bit higher than buying online
Eh, not unless it's an "I NEED IT NOW!" item. As it stands they only collect state taxes, however there's been a number of things added to various measures over the year that local taxes can be 1 to 2% more than the state sales tax. The biggest kick in the nuts would be MAP items, which I fucking hate with hellfury, but luckily for me most of those items that I do want that are MAP I would probably end up spending at least a few bucks in gas driving to get because "local" can be a fairly good drive away and I can wait a few days to get things, even less if Amazon has it.

I have been paying sales tax on purchases for a long time. I have no issues with paying sales tax, but I do have an issue on how it's determined what sales tax I pay. The sales tax paid should be based on the location of the business you purchase from, not where I live. Just as brick an mortar stores. If I go across state lines at the best buy over there, I pay the state sales tax that best buy is in, not what it is in my home state. Same should hold true for purchases on line. Why? because that business I am purchasing from online is a burden on that state, not my state. If they do a Million dollars in business, then the state they reside in should be getting the benefits of the sales tax on that Million dollars in sales, not spread out across all the different states in the union because there are huge costs to the state for having that business there. I also don't agree with tax exempt states (those that do not have sales tax, only income tax, like Oregon, Montana, etc) who go across state lines, and end up being exempt, or get a waiver on paying sales tax in other states. Washington has made this illegal, and they no longer are allowed to get a waiver on paying sales tax, and now must Washington sales tax on all purchases.

Meh, at least you get single digit sales tax. I've been paying 27% for years. And now digital stores in the US or wherever want to charge me 27% on sales, like they're ever going to pay that to my government.

Eh, been paying state sales tax for online purchases for a few years now. It's really not that big of a deal. It forces me to comparison shop even more between the major online retailers and the local B&Ms, then I decide if I can wait the 2-3 days if the price savings is significant enough if I buy online, or if the B&M cost is competitive enough to justify getting it right then and there.

Usually, for me anyway, shipping time isn't a problem; I can wait a few days for a package to arrive. What matters to me the most is price - including tax -, packaging and return policy.

Previous packaging history with both Amazon and NewEgg have been spotty. Amazon beats NewEgg for return/RMA policy from my experience.

I have been paying sales tax on purchases for a long time. I have no issues with paying sales tax, but I do have an issue on how it's determined what sales tax I pay. The sales tax paid should be based on the location of the business you purchase from, not where I live.

That was an argument that was made in the late 90's when states were first looking into state sales tax on ecommerce. If that logic held true, then states like Oregon should have had all the e-tailer shipping hubs because they have no sales tax, they have a low cost of living, and more business-friendly labor laws than New Hampshire or Delaware, making it cheaper to locate there. However, businesses are predatory and will always work find a way to skirt the intent of the law. One state (Washington?) was prepared to pass a state initiative that allowed goods shipped out of the state from businesses that had no storefront to be non-taxed (in order to keep their distribution center employment.) In another case, a similar business (Egghead?) was preparing to relocate their sales office to Oregon, but leave their shipping/warehouses in the state where they were already located. Federal law prohibits taxation of goods moving between states.

Industry City in California was known for having local laws that were allowed to supersede state law because it was built to be a special industrial zone.

That was an argument that was made in the late 90's when states were first looking into state sales tax on ecommerce. If that logic held true, then states like Oregon should have had all the e-tailer shipping hubs because they have no sales tax, they have a low cost of living, and more business-friendly labor laws than New Hampshire or Delaware, making it cheaper to locate there. However, businesses are predatory and will always work find a way to skirt the intent of the law. One state (Washington?) was prepared to pass a state initiative that allowed goods shipped out of the state from businesses that had no storefront to be non-taxed (in order to keep their distribution center employment.) In another case, a similar business (Egghead?) was preparing to relocate their sales office to Oregon, but leave their shipping/warehouses in the state where they were already located. Federal law prohibits taxation of goods moving between states.

Industry City in California was known for having local laws that were allowed to supersede state law because it was built to be a special industrial zone.

Huh? What? First of all your logic doesn't hold up. Oregon has the 6th highest cost of living in the United states, with New Hampshire and Delaware 10 places below them. Sales tax is not paid by the Business. It is paid by the consumer, so sales tax has zero influence on what a business would pay to have a distribution center in any state. Oregon has a state income tax, which is 5% to 9.9% (New Hampshire is 5%, and Delaware is 0% to 6.6%).. which on average, means that tax wise, New Hampshire and Delaware is a cheaper place to have a distribution center. (real estate/housing in Oregon is the 4th highest in the United states, New Hampshire/Delaware is in the middle of the pack ). As for your initiative, sales tax has no influence on employment, or keeping a distribution center in a state. Again, income taxes, land taxes, real estate costs, etc and what tax breaks a state gives companies is the influence, and NON of these tax have anything to do with Sales tax.

Eh, not unless it's an "I NEED IT NOW!" item. As it stands they only collect state taxes, however there's been a number of things added to various measures over the year that local taxes can be 1 to 2% more than the state sales tax. The biggest kick in the nuts would be MAP items, which I fucking hate with hellfury, but luckily for me most of those items that I do want that are MAP I would probably end up spending at least a few bucks in gas driving to get because "local" can be a fairly good drive away and I can wait a few days to get things, even less if Amazon has it.
I live in Hillsborough Fl, and have an added 1.5% on top of state, IIRC, we're the highest sales tax in the state.

You guys must have much better search skills than me. I use NewEgg because their search and filter system is phenomenal. Amazon is the biggest cluster fuck if your looking for anything computer that isn't the absolute newest or most popular thing. That's my experience at least. You guys sound like you got it figured out. Between Microcenter (local, but website is great) and NewEgg, I've been able to get anything I need.

I live in Hillsborough Fl, and have an added 1.5% on top of state, IIRC, we're the highest sales tax in the state.
Base in FL is 6.0%. Here in Escambia County we got a total of 7.5%. Highest in state I think is Hillsbourough at 8.5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back