Newegg Threadripper Combos ??

bbenz33

Gawd
Why does Newegg even offer half the 2950X/PSU combos they have listed? They have a slew of 550/650/750 watt PSU combos that unless you are planning on barely using the CPU and nothing else in the system, then it will be woefully under powered and potentially create serious problems.

I'm guessing its the algorithm, or just dumb sales people I suppose (not saying all sales people are dumb!)

A 750 would probably be okay without pbo and with an efficient/low power video card...but except for kernel devs and the like that's probably not a realistic setup.

the 2950X isn't that hard on a PSU. Not any more so than the 1950X was. Overclocking that with pbo or a reasonable OC with a nice 1080 Ti would not be a problem at all with a 750. I wouldn't use a 550 or 650 with that though.

I'm not sure about the 1950X but here is the quote from Kyle in the last review:

"Using the 2950X , at 4.2GHz (1.375v vCore) hand overclocked, would pull 550W at the wall. With PBO we saw 410W, and PB2 would give us 300W at the wall."

So adding 250-275 to the 410 gives us just shy of 700. That would be pushing the 750 much harder than I would want.

The 550W at the wall would be the full system - not just the cpu. Motherboard, memory, cpu, drives and video all combine to get that "at the wall" number - what a Kill-A-Watt would see assuming just your computer's power cord (no monitor or powered speakers, etc) is plugged into it.

You would want size your out of the wall wattage + 30-40% added as a buffer (you may want to drive your PC hard with some overclocming and gaming). A 40% buffer would be 220W and leaving you with 770W - from the wall. Now depending on the efficiency of the PSU, you are actually using anywhere from 85%-97% at any given load. That would leave the 750w PSU just about a perfect choice for that power draw from the wall.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
The 550W at the wall would be the full system - not just the cpu. Motherboard, memory, cpu, drives and video all combine to get that "at the wall" number - what a Kill-A-Watt would see assuming just your computer's power cord (no monitor or powered speakers, etc) is plugged into it.

You would want size your out of the wall wattage + 30-40% added as a buffer (you may want to drive your PC hard with some overclocming and gaming). A 40% buffer would be 220W and leaving you with 770W - from the wall. Now depending on the efficiency of the PSU, you are actually using anywhere from 85%-97% at any given load. That would leave the 750w PSU just about a perfect choice for that power draw from the wall.
But if you added a second video/rendering card, or had a bunch of platter drives in the system, you might want something bigger.

But if you added a second video/rendering card, or had a bunch of platter drives in the system, you might want something bigger.
Exactly. As with anything you need to look at the whole picture when building a system and pick your parts accordingly. Your out of the wall numbers would be higher as a result of adding a bunch of stuff after the build is done - after all it is all running in the same box.

Having that extra 40% buffer though does let you do smaller incremental upgrades, like adding some drives and maybe even a second renderer if it is not a monster one (though that would be pushing it a bit). If after your upgrades your trusty Kill-A-Watt starts telling you that you are bumping up against your PSU's capabilities, perhaps it is time to look for a bigger one. The more stuff you have running in that box, the higher that out of the wall number gets.

I'm aware that the 550 number is the whole system however it was for a system that didn't have the GPU under load. That's why I added the GPU numbers to the whole system numbers.

I'm aware that the 550 number is the whole system however it was for a system that didn't have the GPU under load. That's why I added the GPU numbers to the whole system numbers.
Really sorry if I sounded like Captain Obvious to you. I often come off that way. In my own defense though you didn't clarify that point in your original post - I could only assume that the power benchmark you quoted was with the GPU chooching - which makes sense if someone is going to quote system energy benchmark numbers. As far as I could tell 'added' 250-275w can come from just about anywhere - like adding a second gpu after the build.

As I don't know you and my crystal balls have a big cracks in them, I could only assume that you may not have taken that into account.

Cheers!

Really sorry if I sounded like Captain Obvious to you. I often come off that way. In my own defense though you didn't clarify that point in your original post - I could only assume that the power benchmark you quoted was with the GPU chooching - which makes sense if someone is going to quote system energy benchmark numbers. As far as I could tell 'added' 250-275w can come from just about anywhere - like adding a second gpu after the build.

As I don't know you and my crystal balls have a big cracks in them, I could only assume that you may not have taken that into account.

Cheers!
Common malady I like to call, " Nick Burnsism."

Back