Newegg Shellshocker 2TB HDD - $99

if that were a Samsung I would order 2.. If it were a WD then I would order at least 1, but since its a Seagate I will simply pass..

are these reliable?

A week ago I would have said yes...

I had one in my ol' system for a few months... Never a problem...

I turned the machine off, moved it about three feet to make room for my new computer (old machine sitting right next to it, three feet at most!), and...

The drive never came back on...

The ol' computer had seven HDs in it, and the other six are fine, so it's not like I did something destructive to the machine when I picked it up and moved it a few feet...

But, the drive never came back on...

It took me a week of tries, but I finally ARMAed the drive... THe replacement will be here Tuesday...

Reliable? It did last maybe two months... But when it died, it gave no indications whatsoever of its pending demise...

(It's also the third Seagate drive I've ARMAed in the past month... And I just bought four new Seagate drive for my new build, and two of them have SMART errors from the moment of turning them on... And the two drives in question came from different suppliers (Newegg, Amazon), so that takes packing potentially out of the equation...)

So, I'm expecting to do five Seagate ARMAs this month...

My final sentiment:

Seagate could give me free drives and I don't think I'd put them into a machine anymore, even in a RAID environement.

(Also, five RMAs in a month would be a new personal record... Back in 2002 I was RMAing Maxtor drives at a rate of about two a month, but I don't believe I ever exceeded three drives in a month...)

Of the six hard drives I've had fail in systems I've put together, three were Seagates. The other three were a Maxtor, an IBM deathstar, and a WD.

Highly recommend not using this kind of drive if u trying to keep ur stuff. They have horribly high failure rate.

There's a reason this specific drive keeps going on sale. And it's not a good reason.

There's a reason this specific drive keeps going on sale. And it's not a good reason.

The Green WDs keep going on sale, too, and the Sammys have even been cheaper.

Neither have high failure rates, and I own both without a single problem.

(Which leads me to have no f-ing clue why I bought more Seagates. Insanity???)

I haven't trusted a Seagate drive since they came out with the 7200.11 and made it clear that they threw any sort of standards of quality down the toilet.

7200.10 and before, great drives. 7200.11 to the present... a whole buttload of SUCK.

With that being said it's kind of hard to argue with 2 terabytes for a hundred bucks.

I recall seagate having had another such wide reliability crisis about... 8 years ago?

I would stay away like a plague. Seagate has gone down hill with their QC and it shows with all their drive failures.

I have to agree, I will not buy another Seagate. I bought 3 Seagate drives last year (1TB ext, 1.5TB int, 1.5TB ext), 2 of them have failed already and one of them is going to need to go back for a 2nd time. That is more drive failures than I've had over the last 15 years combined.

used to be I'd buy Seagates everytime they were on sale. 5 yr warranty and great drives. After my 1 tb crapped out w/o even a goodbye and hearing all the other reports around, it'll be a LONG time before Seagate wins back my trust. Right now it's Samsung and WD for me (maybe even Hitachi).

I thought Seagate's issue was a firmware thing and that it had been fixed? Maybe I am remembering incorrectly. I'm more of a WD guys these days.

I haven't trusted a Seagate drive since they came out with the 7200.11 and made it clear that they threw any sort of standards of quality down the toilet.

7200.10 and before, great drives. 7200.11 to the present... a whole buttload of SUCK.

With that being said it's kind of hard to argue with 2 terabytes for a hundred bucks.

I had the exact same problem... 3 hard drives from Seagate have failed on me. I will never buy from them again.

If you want to use it as a back up drive that sits in storage when full I would get it, but for regular use I would pass. I have had 11 seagate drives fail in the last two years.

@ 6:30 am this morning this showed $89 as usual price jacking by the egg, to make something seem good.

If you want to use it as a back up drive that sits in storage when full I would get it, but for regular use I would pass. I have had 11 seagate drives fail in the last two years.

Unfortunately I can't agree.

I thought mine was fine... 'til I shut it off and it never came back on again. What good is a drive sitting in storage if you don't know if it will turn back on?

If you use these, keep 'em in live storage in some RAID environment, that way when something fails you know instantly and can replace and rebuild before another (seemingly inevitably) fails.

Of the six hard drives I've had fail in systems I've put together, three were Seagates. The other three were a Maxtor, an IBM deathstar, and a WD.

What are you people doing to your hard drives to kill them so fast? I have owned WD, Seagate, Samsung, IBM "Deathstar" in the 20 years i've been messing with computers and the one and only hard drive I have ever had fail was one single Seagate about 15 years ago.

What are you people doing to your hard drives to kill them so fast? I have owned WD, Seagate, Samsung, IBM "Deathstar" in the 20 years i've been messing with computers and the one and only hard drive I have ever had fail was one single Seagate about 15 years ago.

I just bought four 7200.11s (two from Newegg, two from Amazon) and half (one from each, actually) have problems in SMART right out of the box. If you blame Newegg, why was Amazon also affected? If you blame packaging, why aren't both drives from at least one of them affected?

I'm starting to think Seagate QC and customer care aren't what they need to be...

I just want to say thanks for this thread.

I was kind of iffy on the Barracuda LP drives anyway, and have noticed some strange sounds coming from the 1.5TB I bought from Best Buy, which the packaging was in perfect condition.

I'm returning it today after backing my data off of it. o.o

I just want to say thanks for this thread.

I was kind of iffy on the Barracuda LP drives anyway, and have noticed some strange sounds coming from the 1.5TB I bought from Best Buy, which the packaging was in perfect condition.

I'm returning it today after backing my data off of it. o.o

I hadn't been to a BB in years, but I went into one a week ago...

I couldn't help but notice they had their 1.5TB LPs on CLEARANCE... And they still weren't selling!

I've had 2x1tb and now 3x 1.5tb Seagates (1 external) and so far.. so good. (computer runs 24/7, home office/play PC)

Do you happen to own them? or are you just repeating what you read on the internetz?

I actually own 2 7200.11 and 2 7200.12. All four of them are in my Intel "suitcase" nas. None of them have ever needed to be replaced or have ever given me a peep of trouble. *Knock on wood*

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had the 2 .11's for quite some time and they spent alot of time online in raid1 housed in my main computer. no smart errors ever came out of them.

*side note*
Sadly in that same time two WD 500GB drives died on me. One of which was a RE the other was a RE2. Good news is WD replaced them with no issues. I only had to pay shipping to them. And I got 2 spankin new RE3's out of the deal :cool:

Don't listen to these Western Digital shills. Those are great drives. I have two of them.

$99 is an excellent deal.

Don't listen to these Western Digital shills. Those are great drives. I have two of them.

Right, they are great right up until pre-mature failure with typically no warning. I had 2 crash recently. First one was about a year old. Second one was the RMA for the first one, it made it 2 days before suffering the same exact fate. The 3 year old WD drive is still running strong without a hint of any imminent data loss. Seagate use to be my go to, that is until their long term success rate went right into the shitter.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'll stick with hitachi.

There seems to be a cycle on 2TB HDD sales. one week its WD, one week its seagate, one week its hitachi.

I've had 2 of the 1TB drives in my HTPC for over a year now with no issues. They were the 7200RPM version. I suppose YMMV holds tru with Seagate.

Right, they are great right up until pre-mature failure with typically no warning. I had 2 crash recently. First one was about a year old. Second one was the RMA for the first one, it made it 2 days before suffering the same exact fate. The 3 year old WD drive is still running strong without a hint of any imminent data loss. Seagate use to be my go to, that is until their long term success rate went right into the shitter.

If you look at Xizer's posting history, he has a higher failure rate than any HD manufacturer could ever have.

I wouldn't respond to anything he says. But, [H] let him back...

I have a Seagate in my build since 2008 and never had a problem. On the other hand, I've built three builds and a HTPC for friends, all with Seagates and 2 of them crapped out. These days, it's a crap shoot with this company

It's a decent deal, but not worthy of "shellshocker" status unless it was 7200 RPM. I see these "green" drives at $100 for 2 TB all the time.

I've still got a 7200.9 and 7200.10 seagate drives running in a couple of my machines. I've been using WD black and green 1TB drives for awhile now though.

I think the last drive that failed on me was an old seagate though. 7200.8 maybe?

Back