Newegg Shell Shocker Sandisk EXtreme 120GB SSD $129.99 no rebate

newegg shell shockers stay active until they run out of the item or the end of the day, 10 pst is just when they give you the chance to buy the next item

Thanks, OP. In for one. It's going into my M11x because the stock 320 GB 7200 RPM HDD is slow as balls.

What do you all recommend to clone its HDD to the SSD? I think it has a recovery partition for Win7 and I don't want to lose that.

TIA :).

Thanks, OP. In for one. It's going into my M11x because the stock 320 GB 7200 RPM HDD is slow as balls.

What do you all recommend to clone its HDD to the SSD? I think it has a recovery partition for Win7 and I don't want to lose that.

TIA :).
Just picked up the OCZ 60Gb that was the shell shocker a bit ago. NOW THIS comes up...sigh. Guess I'm out more money... STOP WITH THE DEALS!!!! I don't NEED more stuff, but can't pass on deals! LOL.

As for the clone software, Acronis True Image is great. If you looking for a freebie... http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2008/09/05/5-free-apps-to-clone-your-hard-drive/ I just DL'd and used drive Image and macrim reflect. MR would not copy my 250gb HD image onto the 60GB OCZ SSD because it required the target drive be the same size or larger, this is the what you will run into as well. It works fine other than that. DI..worked just fine. Copied my 250GB HD image to the SSD quick and without issue.

I literally just got in the 240gb variant delivered to me today. These drives have been reviewed extremely well but I won't be installing mine for another week so I can't say.

Might pick up one of these for the rig I'm revamping for my mom.

Couldn't resist. I was thinking about getting an SSD for my GF's machine for awhile now, but now I'm almost thinking I should put one of my 80 GB Intels in her machine and keep this for myself... :p

What do you guys think...Intel x25-M RAID 0 or one of these for better performance? Keep in mind I only have SATA II so this won't be running at SATA III anyway.

In for two. I will shrink my OS down to one, and reinstall apps onto to the other.
Suh suh suh sweeeett
fg_112.jpg

Added it to my cart, then remembered to check what the firmware status was. According to a post in their forums:

according to one of their reps on chat, sandisk does not provide firmware updates for their ssd products. their ssd series are sold 'as is' items and no current or future updates are required.

Seems like an issue especially since theres a growing thread about sleep/bsod's with no real resolution. Going to have to pass on this one :(

Edit: whoops, sleep issue seemed to be related to the previous ultra series. Still, not to sure about the lack of firmware updates.

Last edited:
Links so I can feel even better about my purchase? :mad:
By sleep do you mean system sleep or the drive going to sleep and causing a BSOD? I leave my PC on 24/7.

No worries. Hopefully the firmware is solid and doesn't need any major updates.

Solid deal. Would pick one up if I hadn't already bought the 120 GB Mushkin (with it's lesser asynchronous NAND) a couple days ago for the same price. Oh well.

Kudos to Newegg and the vendors for putting up some nice prices recently WITHOUT the hassle/crapshoot of a rebate.

In for two price, and reviews for these drives couldn't be ignored. My first ssd mofos.

Couldn't resist. I was thinking about getting an SSD for my GF's machine for awhile now, but now I'm almost thinking I should put one of my 80 GB Intels in her machine and keep this for myself... :p

What do you guys think...Intel x25-M RAID 0 or one of these for better performance? Keep in mind I only have SATA II so this won't be running at SATA III anyway.

Tough call, but my RAID 0 array of my two Intel 80GB x25's has been nothing but trouble. Been an absolute nightmare. Couldn't get it to work EVER on my EVGA tri SLI x58 motherboard. Was working fine on my new Asus formula x58 mobo, but it was a pain to install. Then, suddenly, I was getting random system hangs intermittently. They got worse and worse until I lost the array altogether. Plus, at least for now, you still don't get TRIM on your RAID 0 array. Don't get me wrong, the speeds are sick, even with just SATA II, but the single drive is the way to go. I'm back to a single 80GB until my new Sandisk Extreme arrives, and I'm having ZERO problems. I never had problems with a single SSD like I did with them in RAID 0. On the same motherboards I've had a problem free RAID 0 array of mechanical hard drives for years.

Tough call, but my RAID 0 array of my two Intel 80GB x25's has been nothing but trouble. Been an absolute nightmare. Couldn't get it to work EVER on my EVGA tri SLI x58 motherboard. Was working fine on my new Asus formula x58 mobo, but it was a pain to install. Then, suddenly, I was getting random system hangs intermittently. They got worse and worse until I lost the array altogether. Plus, at least for now, you still don't get TRIM on your RAID 0 array. Don't get me wrong, the speeds are sick, even with just SATA II, but the single drive is the way to go. I'm back to a single 80GB until my new Sandisk Extreme arrives, and I'm having ZERO problems. I never had problems with a single SSD like I did with them in RAID 0. On the same motherboards I've had a problem free RAID 0 array of mechanical hard drives for years.

That is weird. I had never set up a RAID array before and it went completely smoothly for me. Still going great.

I think I'll probably put the new drive in the GF's machine. I already have the 160 GB capacity almost full, soo... :eek: :p

As for TRIM, there will be TRIM with RAID in the next Intel RST, but that's supposed to be coming in Q2 of this year. So far no issues without having TRIM, though.

This is on sale again for $119!!! A steal!

edit: Nevermind it's the Ultra and not the Extreme

Last edited:
This is on sale again for $119!!! A steal!

edit: Nevermind it's the Ultra and not the Extreme

I was gonna say, if they did a Shell Shocker and then 3 days later lowered the price another $10 I'd be super pissed. :p

I was gonna say, if they did a Shell Shocker and then 3 days later lowered the price another $10 I'd be super pissed. :p

I almost bought it, but canceled the order after reading the problems it has. Probably a good reason why it was so cheap.

I almost bought it, but canceled the order after reading the problems it has. Probably a good reason why it was so cheap.

The reviews seem to be pretty positive overall...what particular issues are people having?

Please do tell and provide some evidence that this series has issues.

Thanks!

Sandisk provides no firmware updates for these. I guess it's not too big of a deal if you're not going to be upgrading hardware or running into any issues that will need fixing, but issues tend not to be expected in the first place ;P

There was something about getting BSODs after sleeping the Ultra drives.

Did that affect the "Extreme" drives too though?

I don't care about firmware updates for a negligible performance update; it's a good deal and a substantial update from the crappy HDD in my current laptop. As long as it works and the 3 year warranty is honored, then I'll be happy.

Back