Newegg RMA Technicians Are Breaking My Returns

I wonder if, as stupid as this sounds, their RMA department has a quota where their employees get a bonus for denying a certain amount of returns. Or worse, their management outright tells them to deny a certain amount.

Sad part is, GN was never in danger of not getting their refund. Their platform will always win out. But it's the people who don't have a Million followers that get screwed. I hope GN lights them up in a video.
He plans on making a video. I am sure GN wasn't phishing for this but they just happened to get screwed over a legit purchase.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I don't have the twatter but someone should forward this link, privately. Not sure if this place is in the condition to take an assload more traffic at the moment.

Microcenter FTW. Been going there since 2009. They pricematch as well. And no hassles with returns. I'd hate to move to a place outside of driving distance from them.

1641424651759.png

Finally, it was only a matter of time. I've never had an issue with an RMA or return to Newegg. Though I don't make many. But I feel for the people with issues. Can't wait for the video.

Reactions: c3k
like this
I don't doubt that NewEgg deals with a lot of people scamming them, but so do all businesses. Build that shrink into your markup and if someone abuses returns, warn them, and if it continues close their account. Problem solved. You don't have to fuck over legit customers.

And even if you do deny a claim, the fact that it was on a brand new unopened product proves there are some very dishonest people working in the RMA department. I would understand denying claims on legit issues.

I don't doubt that NewEgg deals with a lot of people scamming them, but so do all businesses. Build that shrink into your markup and if someone abuses returns, warn them, and if it continues close their account. Problem solved. You don't have to fuck over legit customers.

And even if you do deny a claim, the fact that it was on a brand new unopened product proves there are some very dishonest people working in the RMA department. I would understand denying claims on legit issues.
Newgg today isn't the Newegg that made that company great. It's gotten worse and worse, especially with their scammy bundles. Feh!

I wonder if, as stupid as this sounds, their RMA department has a quota where their employees get a bonus for denying a certain amount of returns. Or worse, their management outright tells them to deny a certain amount.

Or you know, just an idiot with some power who thinks he is "tha man" and wants to flaunt his power around.

As I sit here awaiting my RMA to hit newegg's warehouse for a return... now i'm worried. though i've had a few in the last few months go off without a hitch so hmmm

I used to buy almost everything on Newegg. I tend to spend upwards of 5k-10k or more on hardware any given year with few exceptions. Newegg's reputation has gotten so bad that I haven't dealt with them on large purchases in years. Between Amazon and Microcenter, I've been able to get everything I need, often for much less than I could on Newegg. I think I've bought one or two things that were relatively cheap on sale in the last couple years but that's it. If a purchase like that goes wrong then at least I'm not out big money. So I'll roll the dice on something that's on sale or that's a better deal than anywhere else so long as its south of $200.

That really sucks for GN or anyone else this happens to. I would love to have a Micro Center within reasonable driving distance. Unfortunately, here in Orlando it is pretty much Newegg or nothing unless BB has something you actually want on sale.

I used to buy almost everything on Newegg. I tend to spend upwards of 5k-10k or more on hardware any given year with few exceptions. Newegg's reputation has gotten so bad that I haven't dealt with them on large purchases in years. Between Amazon and Microcenter, I've been able to get everything I need, often for much less than I could on Newegg. I think I've bought one or two things that were relatively cheap on sale in the last couple years but that's it. If a purchase like that goes wrong then at least I'm not out big money. So I'll roll the dice on something that's on sale or that's a better deal than anywhere else so long as its south of $200.
Yeah. Me too, except that there is no MC within 400 miles. So I buy what I can from B&H Photo in addition to Amazon. Newegg is like #4 on a list of 3. Especially most of their third-party resellers. However, I have had good luck with Antonline.

Same story as Frys Electronics. Started out as THE retail store in my area. Then it expanded and overexpanded. Then it got crummier and crummier. And finally it just shut down. No loss. I am hoping that the next great online store, to replace Newegg, is already starting up.

In a way, it's sad. Newgg used to be my GO TO store for all my electronics and components. I have also spent thousands a year with them. But no more.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I now get some of my stuff from BB, but 3-4 years ago I would never go to that store or website.

I got a video card and a X570 board bundle from newegg and ended up returning it without issue. I don't normally buy from them anymore myself, but they had something I thought I'd use, but ended up not needing it. I used to buy from them quite a bit years ago, but after they were bought out I haven't looked their way much just because of threads like this. Paul's Hardware called them out on allowing scalpers to sell DDR5 on their site at inflated prices, and basically shamed them to take it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
ten years later and still pulling stupid shit eh? i stopped using them years and years ago, probably before the og post. i try local first then say fuck it and grab it on amazon.

ten years later and still pulling stupid shit eh? i stopped using them years and years ago, probably before the og post. i try local first then say fuck it and grab it on amazon.
I rarely used them since MC came too town. That said I have never personally an issue with them and they always done right by me. Hell I dropped a HDD once and broke the connectors on it and they replaced it no questions asked.

Amazon's worse.... They send fake items or broken ones often (yes, shipped from and sold by Amazon... They comingle 3rd party inventory that often is counterfeit or a broken customer return).

Newegg I've never had a major problem with and they've been good on customer service. I've been shopping with them since 2001.

Amazon's worse.... They send fake items or broken ones often (yes, shipped from and sold by Amazon... They comingle 3rd party inventory that often is counterfeit or a broken customer return).

Newegg I've never had a major problem with and they've been good on customer service. I've been shopping with them since 2001.
ive had a single issue with amazon in 10+ years, a 2 day delay on a "guaranteed by" shipment right after we went into lockdowns again. i never really had an issue with newegg, just slow shipping, higher prices and slow support contact but there are plenty of these stories to over-ride either of our opinions...

OP gets famous with a screenshot in the GN video. I haven't bought much from NE in the past 8 or so years, usually a video card or mobo (new) that I can't get elsewhere. Only return issue I had with them was over a case with a bad fan hub that I just decided to return. They charged me a $30 shipping fee to send it back.

That doesn't surprise me at all. All those third party seller, a lot of them have poor customer ratings. I stay away from them like they are rat poison. Basically I hate Amazon because of all those awful third-party sellers and their worse than awful search capability. And they clearly didn't do enough to stop gouging during the worst of the pandemic for items like tissues or toilet paper. Say what you want about the Egg, at least their search works pretty well. Unfortunately Amazon is often the only game in town.

Ive never gone wrong with Amazon as a primary seller. Also Amazon returns are much easier and reliable. I haven't spent a dollar at screwegg since something similar happened to me years ago. I had spent so much money in about a decade there. They screwed me once and I voted with my wallet. I will not be sad if Newegg goes out of business. Shady is shady.

Soon as I saw it was open box I knew that was the problem.

I highly doubt Newegg certifies anything they sell open box. They get the board back and probably never even inspected it, they just relisted it as open box. The prior owner probably damaged it.

The product should have never been resold, but if you ever do buy open box you probably should open it. If it is damaged, at least that way you can file a claim saying it was damaged on the way to you which I think gives more leverage.

Last edited:
I haven't spent a dollar at screwegg since something similar happened to me years ago. I had spent so much money in about a decade there. They screwed me once and I voted with my wallet. I will not be sad if Newegg goes out of business. Shady is shady.
+1, no, +2 Shady is shady. Eggs can go rotten.

started looking over this thread again since I saw the GN video.

It wasn't until this past holiday season that I first bought something from Newegg for personal or business use since 2012 because of prior shady behavior on their part.

I only buy my electronics from Amazon or Micro Cnter

You may get crap hardware from any of the above stores, but only one of them will steal your money from you when you try to return it!

I haven't used my Newegg account in years!
However, you absolutely should not buy from Micro Center through Amazon unless you like Cheezits instead of CPUs and motherboards.

they probably have the best search, imo. ill often use it just to help find what im specifically looking for and then go elsewhere.

Yep, have been doing that for years: search on Newegg and then buy elsewhere.

That's pathetic. I want to see how this is going to play out. I've heard many times Newegg was a shady company. I'm concern since I finally got a 3070 on their shuffle.

Soon as I saw it was open box I knew that was the problem.

I highly doubt Newegg certifies anything they sell open box. They get the board back and probably never even inspected it, they just relisted it as open box. The prior owner probably damaged it.

The product should have never been resold, but if you ever do buy open box you probably should open it. If it is damaged, at least that way you can file a claim saying it was damaged on the way to you which I think gives more leverage.
No way, I would not consider opening it unless I was going to use it. If you don't open it, the onus is on them.

Yeah I'm going to stop doing business with them almost entirely. I had a 3090 from a shuffle get stolen by the carrier (UPS) and they denied my claim despite me providing all the evidence they asked for and submitting it on the day of delivery. Best part is they never informed me the claim was denied, zero contact after I returned the mobo (was a bundle) so I've had to dispute the charge with my CC company.

The support person was worthless of course.

My 3070 arrived today. Thankfully I was home the UPD driver literally threw the box at my garage door after 8 inches of snow. I called UPS to submit a feedback.

I got really pissed.

Except in this literal example of why not opening it means nothing?
What are you talking about? When you open a package you are basically taking ownership, there is no coming back from that.

If it came down to a charge back I would state to the credit card company that I NEVER OPENED THE PACKAGE, therefore the responsibility lies on the company. Opening the package accomplishes nothing and puts MORE responsibility on you.

Been dealing with this since August with a damaged *in the box* motherboard, would not have been able to be seen from the outside without opening, declined as opened/used. lol what?

Back