Newegg RMA Technicians Are Breaking My Returns

nonono.

http://www.monoprice.com

They are the king of high quality and extremely fair priced cables out of any e-tailer I've ever known.

I've ordered numerous types of cables from them (monitor, SATA, ethernet, toslink, even PS2 component cables!) and they ooze quality. Have a lot of other products as well (IDE to SATA converter which I needed for my old Seagate drive), but I don't think they're as high quality as their cables, which is hard to live up to because their cables blow that 'monster cable' brand out of the water.

Gotta say I wish I was one of you guys. I've encountered probably $500 of Monoprice cables and gear and I would never go out of my way to declare it all "high quality". In my experience, its average and usually works.

Random problems:

-The projector and TV wall mounts are not high quality. I've used the full spectrum of mounts, the Monoprice mounts are junk but generally work.
-Low quality screws and bolts in every mount, including bolts that were missing threads
-Loose fitting optical cables
-Poor flexibility of HDMI and RCA cables
-HDMI "speckles" using a long Monoprice HDMI cable to get to a ceiling mount projector. With multiple Monoprice cables. Replaced with a different manufacturer and the long cable run worked fine for years.
-DVI cable that didn't work with my DisplayPort -> DVI adapter in an Eyefinity configuration. Replaced with a APC branded cable for $12 on Amazon and it works perfectly
-Speaker wires that were short by many feet if you actually measured it
-Finicky as shit IR repeaters / extenders

Last edited:
Gotta say I wish I was one of you guys. I've encountered probably $500 of Monoprice cables and gear and I would never go out of my way to declare it all "high quality". In my experience, its average and usually works.

Random problems:

-The projector and TV wall mounts are not high quality. I've used the full spectrum of mounts, the Monoprice mounts are junk but generally work.
-Low quality screws and bolts in every mount, including bolts that were missing threads
-Loose fitting optical cables
-Poor flexibility of HDMI and RCA cables
-HDMI "speckles" using a long Monoprice HDMI cable to get to a ceiling mount projector. With multiple Monoprice cables. Replaced with a different manufacturer and the long cable run worked fine for years.
-DVI cable that didn't work with my DisplayPort -> DVI adapter in an Eyefinity configuration. Replaced with a APC branded cable for $12 on Amazon and it works perfectly
-Speaker wires that was short by many feet if you actually measured it
-Finicky as shit IR repeaters / extenders

I've ordered SATA cables and within the same order the cables varied in quality. You know the connector end? How it's usually made out of strong plastic? Nope, not on half of the cables that I ordered. Half of my order had cables that were made out of stretch-armstrong-type-plastic. The connector end actually bends when connecting the cable. Maybe I've seen too many high quality cables. High quality this was not.

I had to modify my HP Gen 8 today and that thing has some beefy connector ends.

I too have ordered from Monoprice for years, but do agree that in the past 9 months or so they may have gone too far to the low end for some of their product. Their Ethernet cables have still been top notch, but some of their HDMI and SATA cables have been less than stellar.

snip

I've ordered SATA cables and within the same order the cables varied in quality.
Bad experiences, ew. I guess I've been receiving well manufactured products. Shame to hear that they vary on manufacturers and some are awful quality.

While I have bought a variety of things, I haven't bought much in terms of volume. A few pre-done ethernet, a few SATA, and one of a variety of other things. Everything I've ordered has been better quality than I found elsewhere and at a far cheaper rate (things included with products, purchases from local stores and e-tailers like Newegg/Amazon)

I suppose out of luck the next thing I purchase won't be a well manufactured version, blegh.

I'll chime in. I used to buy around 30-50k worth of equipment from NewEgg for the last 5 years. They were always really good with RMAs, prompt shipping, and in 4 of those years I never had a screw-up with my orders. This year, however, I had multiple screwups on orders where they either cancelled the order or refunded part of it but never gave an explanation. I stopped using them for hard drives last year after getting an abnormally high failure rate on the drives received there. Instead I've been buying from Amazon mostly. With Amazon Prime, things arrive at least 2 days faster and I haven't had a single issue with a hard drive received from Amazon. As soon as I heard NewEgg was going public, my response was "Oh CRAP!" Sure enough... looks like another Best Buy/Fry's Electronics. Sigh... Will they ever learn???

I stopped using them for hard drives...
Same here, only because they started shipping them in bubble wrap with PAPER used as packing material.

Has been increasingly harder to find an e-tailer that properly ships hard drives; tempted to just start paying a premium buying retail versions from local stores.

Same here, only because they started shipping them in bubble wrap with PAPER used as packing material.

Has been increasingly harder to find an e-tailer that properly ships hard drives; tempted to just start paying a premium buying retail versions from local stores.

We did the Retail drive thing too after having shipping issues with OEM Hitachi drives from Newegg and others, and ended up going with Amazon for a lot of them.

I understand the concern and its something I dislike as well with online purchases. But remember, drives in retail stores also come from being flown in aircraft then put on trucks that bump around the roads, forklifted off pallets, etc. The simple fact of the matter is, anything with mechanical moving parts is vulnerable to physics. Unless youre getting them straight off the line at the manufacturer plant, there is always some possibility they get mishandled.

I understand the concern and its something I dislike as well with online purchases. But remember, drives in retail stores also come from being flown in aircraft then put on trucks that bump around the roads, forklifted off pallets, etc. The simple fact of the matter is, anything with mechanical moving parts is vulnerable to physics. Unless youre getting them straight off the line at the manufacturer plant, there is always some possibility they get mishandled.

It took more than just a few bad drives before a lot of people stopped using Newegg for hard drives. There was a general trend of people getting DOA drives from Newegg, and those drives were often very poorly packed.

Retail packaging on these drives pretty much suspend the drive in the middle of the box, relatively safe from bounces and bruises. The packaging that NewEgg chooses to use gives the hard drives plenty of wiggle room to hit sides of the boxes or experience a lot of any impact.

Retail packaging on these drives pretty much suspend the drive in the middle of the box, relatively safe from bounces and bruises. The packaging that NewEgg chooses to use gives the hard drives plenty of wiggle room to hit sides of the boxes or experience a lot of any impact.

Or even worse, they wrap it once around in bubble wrap and drop about 11 packing noodles into a 18x18x18 box guaranteeing it bounces around like a ping pong ball a few hundred times during shipment.

Or even worse they just throw them in the box. I opened the box and this is exactly what I saw. Nothing was moved by me.

img2243j.jpg

Or even worse they just throw them in the box. I opened the box and this is exactly what I saw. Nothing was moved by me.

img2243j.jpg

Haha, the is a perfect example of old Newegg packaging, just stuff in a box with a few strips of paper :D

img2243j.jpg

This is why I don't do business with them anymore, I order 30k plus in parts a year and took my business elsewhere.

You sent all 10+/- items back for RMA?

1 hard drive was DOA, but there was 1 extra in the box. So I RMA'd the DOA drive to NewEgg and made sure they paid for a return label.

But honestly lately they seem to be packing all the hard drives correctly.

1 hard drive was DOA, but there was 1 extra in the box. So I RMA'd the DOA drive to NewEgg and made sure they paid for a return label.

But honestly lately they seem to be packing all the hard drives correctly.

I just ordered parts for my first build and the power supply came damaged, as if it was smashed or crushed by something extremely heavy. Of course I have to RMA but how did you get NewEgg to pay for the UPS return label? I saw they offer to sell you the label

Here is the power supply if you wanted to see it:
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4839/img0056as.jpg
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/4441/img0055uj.jpg

The motherboard also had a "blank" standoff with no threading lol:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8933/img0053tdz.jpg

My first build definitely not going as smoothly as I had hoped but it's only the first time I've had a problem with NewEgg.

You'll have to get on NewEgg's chat or call them to get a pre-paid label. I'd recommend chat, simply because then you have a written record of what was said.

Yeah, I assume so too. The odd thing is that Newegg is still shipping the motherboard back to me. I explained that I've been refunded by my CC and they said they still have to ship it to me. Makes absolutely no sense at all. I told them I'm keeping the emails as record that I said I didn't want the motherboard and asked them not to ship it, in case they decide to try and charge me for it down the road. What a mess.

Refuse the shipment. If it gets left at your door, you can take it back to UPS. It's much harder for them to claim you own them something if they have the item in their possession.

thought I'd post my latest rendezvous' with newegg and their open box deals

few months ago I purchased an OB 7970 (ref. asus) for $329, and upon installing it and running unigine heaven loops I noticed my VRM temps were insane on gpu-z, long story short the card had standard EK thermal pads (which means the prior owner put an EK block in it) on all the right places except all three VRM locations were bare metal-on-metal with the heatsink (obviously the previous owner forgot to pad the vrms and returned the card due to instability of some sort)

now I just purchased a Maximus V Extreme for $286 and none of the pci-e slots function

newegg really doesn't do any due diligence ensuring these pieces of hardware are safe to resell

I haven't run into any bad open box deals just yet, but I did run into a bit of "poor judgement" on Newegg's part.

I recently bought a complete PC kit for a coworker of mine (he was looking for a cheap computer to replace his 10+ year old one), and Newegg bundled an MSI Z68A-G43 motherboard with a Ivy Bridge i5-3570. As I found out when I got the build, the processor and motherboard are incompatible with each other until the motherboard gets a BIOS update...and the BIOS update has a horrible track record of bricking systems (which it did).

After seeing this thread, I'm going to take plenty of pictures before sending the board back for a refund...

I haven't run into any bad open box deals just yet, but I did run into a bit of "poor judgement" on Newegg's part.

I recently bought a complete PC kit for a coworker of mine (he was looking for a cheap computer to replace his 10+ year old one), and Newegg bundled an MSI Z68A-G43 motherboard with a Ivy Bridge i5-3570. As I found out when I got the build, the processor and motherboard are incompatible with each other until the motherboard gets a BIOS update...and the BIOS update has a horrible track record of bricking systems (which it did).

After seeing this thread, I'm going to take plenty of pictures before sending the board back for a refund...

Newegg combos very explicitly say that the items are NOT guaranteed to work together and you need to do your own research.

NewEgg is done for me. I had exactly the same issue with a mobo return. They smashed the socket, blamed me and refused to replace it. They sent me the broken one back. I wish I took pictures, it looked lime someone run a screwdriver across it or dropped something on it. The pins weren't "bent"; they were "flattened". I am not buying from them again. I complained several times but got nowhere with them. I'm not going to risk several hundred bucks with NewEgg. Their packaging has been awful for the last few years too.

So long NewEgg!

At least when I return something to Microcenter, I do this in person and they can't pull something like that off.

NewEgg is done for me. I had exactly the same issue with a mobo return. They smashed the socket, blamed me and refused to replace it. They sent me the broken one back. I wish I took pictures, it looked lime someone run a screwdriver across it or dropped something on it. The pins weren't "bent"; they were "flattened". I am not buying from them again. I complained several times but got nowhere with them. I'm not going to risk several hundred bucks with NewEgg. Their packaging has been awful for the last few years too.

So long NewEgg!

At least when I return something to Microcenter, I do this in person and they can't pull something like that off.

Sounds like they might be changing their tactics and just avoiding refunds entirely at this point? Did you try shaming them on Facebook?

Proud (and sad) to say that absolutely zero parts were ordered via NewEgg for the latest build I was asked to do this week. Amazon got the entire $800 order. To add insult to injury that build was cheaper to order on Amazon than NewEgg.

I feel bad, back in 2011 I built my 1336 rig with a gigabyte UD3r x58 motherboard. I think I bent the pins applying to much pressure to the cooler master hyper 212+ I bought. Anyways the board didn't post and I sent it to newegg and they sent me a new one with almost zero hastle. Now I read you guys buying much higher end boards and not getting anything back from them :(

Honestly its kind of appauling though, especially the guy who took pics of the motherboard leaving with zero damage and suddenly it has damage.

I feel bad, back in 2011 I built my 1336 rig with a gigabyte UD3r x58 motherboard. I think I bent the pins applying to much pressure to the cooler master hyper 212+ I bought. Anyways the board didn't post and I sent it to newegg and they sent me a new one with almost zero hastle. Now I read you guys buying much higher end boards and not getting anything back from them :(

Honestly its kind of appauling though, especially the guy who took pics of the motherboard leaving with zero damage and suddenly it has damage.

You can't damage the pins by applying to much pressure once the CPU is already in the socket.

Well somehow I believe i damaged the pins, I don't know. I didn't take the best look at the board before I opened it up but pins were bent and they refunded me.

I'm not defending newegg or anything (they have become a crappy company), but just wanted to mention that some of (or all?) of the newer type Intel motherboards come with angled pins that makes them look like they are bent.

Not saying yours wasn't, but just mentioning it in case you didn't know about it.

I'm not defending newegg or anything (they have become a crappy company), but just wanted to mention that some of (or all?) of the newer type Intel motherboards come with angled pins that makes them look like they are bent.

Not saying yours wasn't, but just mentioning it in case you didn't know about it.

Unfortunately the OP has removed the pictures from his post, but if any new builder is wondering about their board do a quick Google search to see what a 2011 or 1155 socket looks like. It's a regular pattern of pins, all at a slight angle, that should not be smashed down in any way. If there's any irregularity in the pattern, even a small one, that means a pin has been bent somewhere.

Newegg combos very explicitly say that the items are NOT guaranteed to work together and you need to do your own research.
Not picking on you, but to me that's pretty unethical on Newegg's part.
So technically they can offer an 1155 cpu in a combo with an AM3+ mobo, and it's the newbie buyer's fault that it won't work together?

Taking it to an extreme, but yes. That policy is probably in place more due to RAM compatibility and certain CPU restrictions on certain BIOSs than anything else. Unless they build each combo, install every different OS out there, and use every feature of it, it's impossible for them to know if everything is 100% compatible.

Haven't checked in on this thread in a while--but am happy to report that I haven't purchased anything from Newegg in many months. Amazon has gotten all of my business and everything has gone swimmingly. :cool:

Looks like NewEgg has started a new tactic on returns ... claim the serial number is scratched off, deny the return.

Just want to chime in and say my recent return of a ASUS 990FX Sabertooth was successful. Board was kinda quirky, so I returned it for a refund.

Its very hard to see whats going on with those 1155 LGA pins, so one day I took off the Ziff socket from a P8P67 scrap mobo and sectioned it. I wanted to see why they are so incredibly fragile. As t turns out ea "pin" is a tiny wire bent into a tight "V" embedded in the plastic. So there are two projections for ea on top - the sraight part of one leg of the "V" and the other leg is slightly higher and is bent at about 30 degrees. This bend allows for a little "spring" in the tiny diameter wire, and that springy effect is what puts pressure for contact on the bottom of CPU. So when you look at top there are actually 2 protusions from ea "pin" - a lower straight end sticking up and a laid over bent end.

Now with the Z77 mobo, ASUS tried to fix this by placing the black plastic pin protector on the OUTSIDE of the CPU clamp plate, not under it. You can now open the lock plate, insert CPU and relock with protector still in and it will pop out (away from socket) as it makes contact with CPU top. You can also use your finger to pop it out, and this is also away from LGA grid, so it would appear to be a better system - almost foolproof. But no, endusers still seem to be able to touch the pins somehow. I see all the same posts after Z77 intro - only half RAM active - which means bent pin.

Actually since the pins are already bent, better callout would be "misaligned bent pins".

I have straightened many "bent pins" (not mine) and use a lighted 15X magnifcation head band with 2 large sewing needles.The needles are big enough to hold easily, but the point end is very small, unlike a jewelers screwdriver. Indeed a good place to get the pins re aligned is with a jeweler. They deal with that tiny stuff every day.
http://www.telesightmagnifiers.com/catalog/i158.html

"Bent pins" return from NE
Actually mashed in upper right, not misaligned, 2 other bad areas
http://i.imgur.com/Dnirq.jpg

Heres a Z77 V Pro with a "normal" mis aligned pin, easily straightened
http://i.imgur.com/eNXiL.jpg

Camera flash clearly shows one bent pin turned 180 degrees. Note the round shiny tops of the other side of pin and bent over part highlighted
http://i.imgur.com/xhO1k.jpg

Mangled bent over pin alongside another adjacent, once again see the round shiny upright part of pin
This anomoly is the most common, and can be fixed if one knows how to do it
http://i.imgur.com/J9WId.jpg

Bent pins - light smearing
http://i.imgur.com/MR6qv.jpg

Bent pins - deep smear
http://i.imgur.com/vkaEC.jpg

Good grid, everything looks normal (easy to spot)
http://i.imgur.com/2SlHM.jpg

Clearly the Intel LGA1155 grid CPU contact system is way too fragile for consumer use, and the 2011 is even worse.
Probably the worst mistake in their history - IMHO of course

Last edited:
Back