Newegg RMA Technicians Are Breaking My Returns

Newegg is kinda of weird sometimes. Most of the rma(s) have gone smoothly but the one that really irked me was bizarre. I bought a vanilla MSI gtx 470 a while ago and it didn't play nice with my other two 470s. I sent it in and I was denied rma due to the missing upc (mea culpa, got too eager and sent in rebate too quickly). When I got the card back, it was showing up as a different msi model (TF2, ???). I'm sure some monkey tried to flash this. Needless to say, they refused to further help even though there was evidence that someone messed with the card. I eventually rma'd it with MSI and I bought another Zotac. I called their customer service and the gal was nice enough to give me a $20 credit towards the Zotac.

Amazon does have really great customer service :)

I once had a bad RMA experience with Newegg. I had ordered a Radeon XT1900XTX, or something like that (their naming was pretty weird back then). I paid for overnite shipping, and got it in 2-3 days. So, I was already pissed off. It was defective, so I called Newegg and asked for an RMA. Now, I WANTED a free cross-shipment, but realistically knew that I would not get that. I would have been content with me sending it back at their expense, and them sending me another. Oh no, that's not what they quoted me.

-I would pay to send mine back
-They would then charge me to mail the new one back (various shipping and pricing options)
-despite being an exchange, I was also on the hook for a 15% restocking fee!? So, I'd be paying roughly $60 in shipping between the 3 shipments, plus a roughly $45 restocking fee!?

I called back later to get another rep, hoping the first guy was an idiot. Second idiot told me the same thing. I then said - "free cross shipping, or chargeback." He refused, so I issued the chargeback. A few days later, my Newegg account had been disabled. My purchase history gone. They then had the balls to call me and demand my broken card. I said, "Sure, re-open my account and send me a pre-paid shipping label, and it's yours." They decline. I then said, "look at my purchasing history, nearly $10k in the past 6 months. Imagine that many chargebacks due to you not having records, and me losing warranty service." My account was reinstated.

I now purchase from Newegg with caution. I keep copies of my receipts so that I can maintain warranty service. I've only had to do two returns in the past several years, and in both cases, I got free returns out of them with no restocking fees. Newegg hates chargebacks, but they're more cooperative when you explain that they can avoid many chargebacks (and the first one as well) by simply offering a level of customer service. Good customer service at Amazon is automatic, but Newegg needs to be held at gunpoint if you want customer service.

...which is why I don't purchase from them anymore and advise all my friends and relatives to avoid them as well. Similar story with Apple -- when your official policy is anti-consumer and you have to "make exceptions" for good service, you don't deserve to have customers.

No more Newegg orders, no more Apple products. Done.

I will keep that in mind if I have to ship something back and they give me flack.

I honestly think they've had to become bullies a bit because so many people send broken stuff back to them that shipped out of their warehouse fine... on that note the last time I bought ~$500-800 worth of computer hardware it arrived with very little packing material in the box. And their packing of hard drives is abysmal! :mad:

Been lucky enough to never have any issues with Newegg. I've used them for 5 PC builds, and other random parts/upgrades in between.

Now, I have had my fair share of DOA parts though from Newegg. However, I always RMA with the company of said parts. Not with Newegg. I stick with companies that have advanced RMA options, and generally better support. I'd only use Newegg if the manufacturers own RMA service sucked.

Personally, I can't hold a retailer responsible for dealing with broken shit if the cause of the broken shit wasn't due to their own neglect. I'll let the manufacturer of said part deal with that. The only time my opinion of this is different is if we are talking about the luxury retail enviroment. In this case the retail outlet is making such considerable markup that I expect them to offer me service/support in every case.

I will keep that in mind if I have to ship something back and they give me flack.

I honestly think they've had to become bullies a bit because so many people send broken stuff back to them that shipped out of their warehouse fine... on that note the last time I bought ~$500-800 worth of computer hardware it arrived with very little packing material in the box. And their packing of hard drives is abysmal! :mad:

I just ordered a few items for the first time in over a year and the packing was terrible. The PSU box was damaged, although I doubt the damage was due to the shipping material and more likely a shipper dropping it before packing it. Good thing Seasonic packs it PSU's well as there was no damage to the unit itself, so no RMA.

I was disappointed though, I have built my last few PC's buying from them and never had any issues (even had a few RMA's that were painless). Plus I am pretty sure they are the reason Microcenter as better prices these days.

Except that Amazon has nowhere near the selection of Newegg and their prices aren't all that great on computer parts.

Actually, I've noticed that Amazon has just about ANYTHING you might want at NewEgg, and their prices are better at every turn, including shipping. I tend to do my spec hunting at Newegg, but after I've got all the details and info I wanted from comparison data of components, I search the item on Amazon and save.

just found this thread on google.

I just RMAed a mobo also. They emailed me saying it had bent pins and couldnt give me a refund. I called and they basically said it was my fault and they couldnt do anything about it. I asked to talk to manager and he said same thing also. After about 10minutes he said I could send it to the manufacturer and see if they would fix it or replace it. If they charge me I could send the receipt to newegg and they will see if they can help me pay for that charge.

Never buying from them again...

I received an open box motherboard from Newegg a month ago that I was having issues with 3 of the 4 RAM slots not being recognized. It turned out to be a single bent pin at the very edge of the socket. I straightened it out, and everything worked perfectly.

I received an open box motherboard from Newegg a month ago that I was having issues with 3 of the 4 RAM slots not being recognized. It turned out to be a single bent pin at the very edge of the socket. I straightened it out, and everything worked perfectly.

Well it sounds like we know what NewEgg is doing with boards returned as a "one time exception" from customers like the OP who finally get refunds :D. When NewEgg fails to screw one customer, they try to screw another.

Anyway, who buys open box items anyway? Doesn't NewEgg already have a bad rap with that category of items?

Well it sounds like we know what NewEgg is doing with boards returned as a "one time exception" from customers like the OP who finally get refunds :D. When NewEgg fails to screw one customer, they try to screw another.

Anyway, who buys open box items anyway? Doesn't NewEgg already have a bad rap with that category of items?

I've purchased 4 different open box motherboards from NE and every single one worked great for me. Sometimes the price is too good to pass up.

Actually, I've noticed that Amazon has just about ANYTHING you might want at NewEgg, and their prices are better at every turn, including shipping. I tend to do my spec hunting at Newegg, but after I've got all the details and info I wanted from comparison data of components, I search the item on Amazon and save.
Yeah, I tend to do the same nowadays. Used to be all/mostly Newegg but from everything that I've been reading, it's turning me off from using them. Although, I did send a P67 board back to Newegg and they waived the restocking fee while providing me with a shipping label. I've always thoroughly enjoyed my experience with Amazon thus far though.
just found this thread on google.

I just RMAed a mobo also. They emailed me saying it had bent pins and couldnt give me a refund. I called and they basically said it was my fault and they couldnt do anything about it. I asked to talk to manager and he said same thing also. After about 10minutes he said I could send it to the manufacturer and see if they would fix it or replace it. If they charge me I could send the receipt to newegg and they will see if they can help me pay for that charge.

Never buying from them again...
That's pretty shitty especially if it wasn't shipped that way and the socket had the cover on it.

I guess the moral of the story is, take as many pictures as possible or even video in order to fight back. But, that shouldn't be necessary. I just started doing that when I RMA'd a motherboard to ASUS a couple weeks ago. Although, it went pretty flawlessly, I made sure I stayed in touch with an ASUS rep the entire time and I have no real complaints.

yea the supervisor told me to take pics in the future. sucks. hope asus would do something about it when i send it to them. i highly doubt it though.

I buy quite a bit of open box stuff. In the last year I've bought 11 hard drives, 1 DVD burner, 1 case fan, 1 motherboard, and before that I bought 3 high end graphics cards. I've only had the issue with that motherboard I previously mentioned. I'm not aware of a lot of people complaining about open box items. Although, I could just be lucky in what I've been sent.

I'm not so sure Newegg intentionally sent me a board that someone else had bent a pin on and then returned. It was shipped without a socket cover. So, it's likely that the pin was bent during shipping.

I buy open box and refurb all the time from Egg. I figure anything I buy new will be openbox anyway, and most things refurbed come back from the manufacturer. Great way to save some coin.

It's sad to see Newegg has turned into garbage.

I had a somewhat bad experience when them months ago.

I ordered 4gb of DDR3 with the Egg Saver shipping. The tracking status said shipment accepted for almost a week before I figured it wasn't coming so I filed a claim with Newegg.

I got some automated e-mails about it and then one that said the claim was resolved.

I looked at my order history and could see they sent a replacement set of memory at no charge with the same slow Egg Saver shipping that was the reason I didn't get it to begin with. They never apologized for it or anything just gave me a new order and a tracking number.

I thought the least they could do was overnight it since I'd had the rest of my system waiting on this for about 2 weeks.

A day or two later I got the original order in the mail.... seems that it got mixed up at the post office and they eventually figured it out. At this point Newegg had all ready sent a second set and that came fine so in the end I figured the waiting was worth a extra set of memory.

If it wasn't for the first set coming which I wasn't expecting..... I'd have ended up waiting 3-4 weeks to build my system because of their cheap shipping and not even an apology for it.

In the end I came out ahead but I thought that could be a bad sign with Newegg CS. Looks like I was right.

I don't plan on shopping there much at all anymore.... building my next system from Amazon mostly.

Their Egg Saver shipping is a nightmare. It seems that it goes out UPS or something but then it goes into the hands of the godawful USPS. I've had 2 orders go out in that manner and the first got mixed up and traveled all around the US for about 9 days before finally making its way to my house. Avoid this shipping method if at all possible unless you don't care how long it takes your order to arrive.

The most recent thing I ordered was via egg saver.

It took 1 day to ship. (Order day -> ship day -> delivery day, so technically 3 days if you include Newegg's processing day.. despite me ordering around 5AM EST.)

Yeah, I too was very surprised.

Course, it was something that could fit in one of those small bubble envelope things, not a big heavy box, so I suppose that contributed to the speed.

I recently RMA'd an open box mobo back to Newegg. The mobo had buggy SATA ports that were dropping drives left and right - every boot I had a different number of drives. The RMA/refund process was rather painless. I filled out the form, bought my UPS label and dropped it in the mail. A week later I got an email saying it had been received and 3 days after that I had my refund.

The only downside was that I left my mounting hardware on the board when I sent it back =\

If the price is right, I have bought open box NE items for myself in the past and have always made out fine. I'll consider anything but Hard Drives generally.

If the price is right, I have bought open box NE items for myself in the past and have always made out fine. I'll consider anything but Hard Drives generally.

Like I said earlier, I'm 11 for 11 with working open box hard drives. They were all sealed, refurbished drives with about 3 years warranty left on the Western Digitals that I bought and I think about that same amount on the Hitachi and Seagate drives. When hard drive prices were insane this past year, I was paying less than half the price of a new drive. It definitely was worth it during this past year after the flooding and subsequent price gouging.

I will admit, the times I have to go to the customer services reps, things are not what they used to be. It used to be, within 1 year I could abuse a GPU and send it back to newegg. Things changed. Business wise, it makes sense, what I don't like is how cold these people are.

I used to call or email and it was always a polite and cheerful conversation. I am, (even at a young age) a customer. Now years later, I have no real reason to shop there unless they have a great price on something, but I know that if it dies...I'm contacting intel, Asus, or Corsair.

I've done lots of RMA's and purchases and I've never had any DOA's, this is after 7 PC builds. I guess I'm lucky!

It used to be, within 1 year I could abuse a GPU and send it back to newegg.

Congrats! Behaviour like this is exactly why Newegg is in the situation they are now. Idiots abusing generous return/RMA policies reduce their profitability and margins and they end up having to cut corners. It would be nice if companies could somehow fine people for illegitimate returns/RMAs (e.g. returning because they want a higher OC, or they ruined equipment pushing it too far past spec).

They did the exact same thing to me. They claimed that I damaged the CPU pins. In the end, I finally got Newegg Credit and paid a restocking fee -_-''

Did everyone who sent the board back remember to put the plastic cover over the cpu socket?

Did everyone who sent the board back remember to put the plastic cover over the cpu socket?
Did you even read the thread? Most people said they did.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but unless someone's computer illiterate, why wouldn't they put it back on? (That or they wouldn't even be building a PC in the first place because they don't know how to, right?)

newegg is terrible service now compared to what they were 2 years ago.

I've returned 2 boards to them in the past 90 days, and haven't had any issues. YMMV.

I am posting to add myself to the list of victims of the Newegg's motherboard RMA practices. In May I RMA'd a new Asus P8Z77-V LK board a week after I got it because it would not stay running. The problem was finally determined to be poor continuity in the power supply connection. Applying hand pressure to the connector would allow the board to function and run a successful POST. Let go and the computer shut down. I returned the board to Newegg and got the "apparent end-user caused physical damage to CPU socket contact pins" response. As with most posters here I have no proof except that the processor socket was not a problem when I had the board, and my own certainty that it was not damaged when I removed the processor and replaced the protective cover. It is certainly damaged now. Several of the pins were bent 180 degrees from their original orientation and were mashed flat in that position.
I purchased another identical motherboard from another supplier and my new computer is up and running.
Add me to the long list of people who are astonished that a major retailer would behave this way. I am pursuing a chargeback with my credit card bank.

Just a reminder to those who are ripped off, please post your experiences at the BBB and at Reseller Ratings. NewEgg is not going to stop this illegal behaviour until their falling customer satisfaction ratings start to hit their pocketbook.

Newegg did the same thing to me on a June purchase. Asus Maximus Gene V they said was new, I sent it back due to A1and B1 memory slots were not working. So sent it back and they said I bent the pins on the motherboard, same complaint everyone else is saying. I did do a BBB complaint and of course they didn't do anything about but also did an attorney general in California complaint stating they are selling defect product at new price.

We (PC geeks) need to stay on top of this and put Newegg on notice. I stop buying and won't buy from again. It’s an insult to me after being a constant PC parts buyer for over ten years.

I'm grateful that those of you who have had a bad experience have chosen to share it with us instead of keeping quiet. I recently had to build two new office computers, and thanks to your stories I decided to make my purchase from Amazon instead of Newegg.

I feel really sorry for those who got burned by this. You shouldn't have to raise a public outcry and make credit card chargebacks to have your complaints resolved. Newegg's return policy just isn't what it used to be, and their failure to publicly acknowledge that there may be a problem with their motherboard RMA procedure has convinced me to take my business elsewhere.

Glad you purchased from Amazon, they are one of the best online, very constant online retail warranty practice. Also did a FTC complaint today. I know I am not going to get my money back, eating $206. The point is honesty and integrity. I do small jobs which I will do anything to make my customer happy. I offer lifetime computer help for them also.

I am a very seasoned technician. Love it! I started my career in the USAF as electronic technician. Got out went to ITT for a refresher, then I continued my education at community college, then switch to ASU. I am always on the edge of technology. The company I work for does advance satellite communications design/repair on the bench and a little engineering, hardware and software. Electronics are very complicated machines and I don't leave my customers alone. Hence they are lifetime customers. I've seen companies come and go. The ones that don't stay are like Newegg. The company I work for has the same philosophy I do, perfect job.

Good luck on your PC build, it is so much fun to do!

Newegg did the same thing to me on a June purchase. Asus Maximus Gene V they said was new, I sent it back due to A1and B1 memory slots were not working. So sent it back and they said I bent the pins on the motherboard, same complaint everyone else is saying. I did do a BBB complaint and of course they didn't do anything about but also did an attorney general in California complaint stating they are selling defect product at new price.

We (PC geeks) need to stay on top of this and put Newegg on notice. I stop buying and won't buy from again. It’s an insult to me after being a constant PC parts buyer for over ten years.

BBB complaints do nothing. A certain nationwide security company has a D- BBB grade, and they don't care.

BBB complaints do nothing. A certain nationwide security company has a D- BBB grade, and they don't care.

In this case though BBB and Reseller Ratings complaints might help get the word out to those that are screwed and do not know what to do (like the OP originally). Maybe, in time, it will even lead to someone taking NewEgg to court for this despicable behavior. Maybe even a few AG's might look into it. You never know!

I'm both sad and glad that this thread is still going strong--sad that people are still getting screwed but glad that those looking for answers are able to find others who have been put through the ringer by Newegg. Hopefully someone at Newegg is at least hearing rumblings of this shady practice.

...but this time video your packing process. And take pics.

Then wait.

Then send a note with the evidence, looking for satisfaction. They'll get the hint.

BB
Also good idea if he video takes and photographs first-time unboxing, never letting the product leave sight or change scenes/takes on the camera.

I once ordered a 1TB SATA HDD, got it, was fine. Tried to plug in the power plug, and with virtually zero effort the plastic upon which the power contacts were on immediately and completely broke off, leaving the contacts exposed and naked 360-degrees to air. I submitted an RMA request, and then did an overkill job of wrapping up the HDD with the plastic piece in bubble wrap, foam, and peanuts.

Shipped it in, and later received it back with a rejection notice that it got damaged during shipping and was my fault and that they don't cover shipping damages.

I've had better luck with Amazon. Almost always, Amazon is cheaper than NewEgg. The only thing good about NewEgg nowadays is the user interface to NewEgg's catalog of hardware. Find what you need, then look up that item on Amazon and buy from Amazon. IMO, Amazon's interface for browsing for products (at least computer-related equipment) is poor and horrible in comparison to NewEgg's interface, but Amazon is cheaper for the same item and has significantly better support, RMA, and shipping packaging all around.

NewEgg was once good, but its time has passed. The king is now Amazon.

Also good idea if he video takes and photographs first-time unboxing, never letting the product leave sight or change scenes/takes on the camera.

I once ordered a 1TB SATA HDD, got it, was fine. Tried to plug in the power plug, and with virtually zero effort the plastic upon which the power contacts were on immediately and completely broke off, leaving the contacts exposed and naked 360-degrees to air. I submitted an RMA request, and then did an overkill job of wrapping up the HDD with the plastic piece in bubble wrap, foam, and peanuts.

Shipped it in, and later received it back with a rejection notice that it got damaged during shipping and was my fault and that they don't cover shipping damages.

I've had better luck with Amazon. Almost always, Amazon is cheaper than NewEgg. The only thing good about NewEgg nowadays is the user interface to NewEgg's catalog of hardware. Find what you need, then look up that item on Amazon and buy from Amazon. IMO, Amazon's interface for browsing for products (at least computer-related equipment) is poor and horrible in comparison to NewEgg's interface, but Amazon is cheaper for the same item and has significantly better support, RMA, and shipping packaging all around.

NewEgg was once good, but its time has passed. The king is now Amazon.
I'm done buying delicate items like hard drives, motherboards and other fragile bits from newegg. They've done a crap packing job more then once (mainly from the NJ warehouse) and I've simply had it.

Last time I ordered from them the motherboard, power supply and I think heatsink all were packed with little more then paper packing material. no bubble wrap or packing peanuts at all.

Another time I boutght a power supply from them and it arrived with just a tiny bit of paper packing material. it may as well been shipped without any packing material at all.

I will never buy another hard drive from newegg after the ones they sent me in the past were packed HORRIBLY. One layer of bubble wrap around them and at the bottom of the box of peanuts. Ride was so rough that the bubbles had popped nearest the outside of the box. The drives worked fine for about a year then failed not too long after that. Luckily the drives had a 5 year warranty so I was able to send them in for a no fuss return to WD.

I'm with you man, newegg's time has past. they've gotten too greedy and looking at the bottom line instead of keeping the customers happy.

Back