Newegg: Powercolor 5850 $170

The XFX one for 210 - 30rebate FS was even better IMO. Better warranty + you can swap HSF.

EDIT: Correction. Is better. Freaking sales right now man, amazing. The BE one has some exclusive member club crap, for $3 more total than the regular XFX, and they bin it to put the best speced chips in it(or so they say...)

Last edited:
The 5850 is slightly faster in most games over the 6850 and with the 6850 going for $180+, I'd rather have this.

The XFX one for 210 - 30rebate FS was even better IMO. Better warranty + you can swap HSF.

EDIT: Correction. Is better. Freaking sales right now man, amazing. The BE one has some exclusive member club crap, for $3 more total than the regular XFX, and they bin it to put the best speced chips in it(or so they say...)

No rebate on the powercolor one.

XFX ends up cheaper if you consider shipping costs.
Better warranty also, but requires the MIR. Eww.

It also uses more power. As drivers for the 6850 mature and as games get more advanced in the tesselation department, the 6850 will probably gain on the 5850. Plus it's $22 cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16814102908

The 6850 might get close to the 5850 in SOME games down the road, but it will most likely never over take it. The reason being that the 6850 was meant as a replacement for the 5830, not the 5850 (which was meant to be replaced by the 6870). Confusing naming scheme is confusing.

That said, not seeing where you are getting $22 cheaper though (maybe the prices were different earlier?). As it stands right now, that 6850 is the same price (after a mail in rebate) as the faster Powercooler 5850, which has no mail in rebate. Also, as a side note, I have 2 things sitting in front of me as we speak (my mouse and my case) that I forgot to send in rebates on until it was too late, and 1 other thing (monitor) that I sent in the rebate for, but never got it back... so I'm sure you'll forgive me for not wanting to factor mail in rebates into the price of most products :D

I'd say a 5850 @ 169.99 w/ free shipping is a pretty decent deal at the moment... especially when considering the next step up (6870) is sitting at $220 (at the lowest), with $7.56 shipping. Just my opinion though.

Back