Newegg philosophy: 3 day delivery does not include 2 days it take to get in mail!

I recently complained to newegg about their 7-day "Guaranteed 3-day shipping". I was especially ticked off because UPS had it in their warehouse in my city at 6am Friday morning and couldn't get it to my door until 5:45pm monday evening, 60 hours to travel 12 miles...and they wouldn't let me pick it up at the warehouse until they'd failed to deliver it at least once (UPS's fault not Newegg's there, but it still keeps me from getting my shipment).
Anyways, here's a breakdown of Newegg's shipping times as explained to me by their CSR:
Please note that the processing time for an order is 24-48 hours prior to shipping, excluding weekends.
Ok, so 24hrs minimum and up to 96hrs if you happened to order Friday after you get off work.

Be advised we don't offer Saturday delivery.
Of course not. It's not like people might want to use their toys over the weekend, what madness.

The scheduled shipping day will be calculated from the date after the order shipped out. Please kindly note that the shipping timeframe starts from the next day of the shipping date.
Ooh, that's a fun one, so really your 3-day shipping is 3+1 days, cute.

Since you select 3 Day shipping, the package will be received the 3rd business day after the order ships, not the day after the order date. Please be also advice that weekends and holiday do not count as shipping days. Strictly speaking, your order is not delayed.
So if I count correctly, we have 1-4 days processing time, plus the 1 day we don't count when you ship the product, plus 3 business days shipping time...I count 5 business days minimum there, and since there's only 5 business days in your week, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a weekend in there (which they take off), so really it's 7-day shipping.

I responded to this policy letter that they need to include an Estimated Delivery Date on the order page, so I would be able to plan for my components taking a full week to arrive in the future.

Newegg CSR replied that this would be impossible due to not knowing how long it would take to process and ship out a specific order...I copied and pasted their 24-48 hour estimate from her first reply and noted she hadn't had any problems estimating the processing time in that email.

I concluded my reply by stating that due to Newegg's highly unreliable shipping times and unwillingness to provide accurate delivery estimates, I would simply refuse any packages that did not arrive in the guaranteed delivery window in the future. I encourage others to do so as well, and make sure you let them know afterward that the reason you refused the shipment was their deceitful and misleading shipping guarantee.

I sort of stopped using the Egg a while ago. It was all the little things a piece here and there that by themselves are trivial, that stacked up and pushed me away from them. Their shipping, their pricing, and their seeming lack stock damn near every single time I want a particular something.

Now I use their website to find out the part numbers for what I want and then buy it from Tiger or Amazon.
Neweggs website is prolly one of the best for actually finding and comparing products. Props to their web design team.

I sort of stopped using the Egg a while ago. It was all the little things a piece here and there that by themselves are trivial, that stacked up and pushed me away from them. Their shipping, their pricing, and their seeming lack stock damn near every single time I want a particular something.

Now I use their website to find out the part numbers for what I want and then buy it from Tiger or Amazon.
Neweggs website is prolly one of the best for actually finding and comparing products. Props to their web design team.

I also used Tiger just recently and got kind of screwed by UPS on their 2 day guarantied delivery. Which took longer thanks to an act of god. Figures. However I still like Newegg. They've been good to me...

Rush processing is a major scam. I would never do that, may as well light your money on fire.

I take $3 and light it on fire every 6 months or so just to keep perspective so when my bi-annual purchases come around I don't feel bad about paying for Rush Processing.

I guess it depends on where you live. I live in the Los Angeles metro area and get my shipments really quick.

Ordered a hard drive one morning, received it the following day.

I been buying parts lately from the egg and have received all my shipments pretty much on time. Sometimes earlier than expected. Downside is I have to pay tax, so I just go to Amazon for that if I want to save. I do agree though, NewEgg's website for finding and comparing products is top notch.

I live in IL and get everything in 3 days...nearest warehouse is NJ, and I dont pay for rush processing.

I have to wonder if they are doing such bulk sales that they delay processing that much..

OR

They are having problems with people trying to scam, use false CCs, etc and it takes 24 hours to let them stew and see if anything comes of it.

I am not sure how businesses get their credit cards cleared, but I sold something for the first time on Ebay just a few days ago...and I was asking myself how can someone be sure that the payment they receive via paypal has been vetted when it comes almost instantly?

Then I decided they just give you the payment and punish you later when the payee ends up being a stolen CC or someone saying it was bogus (falsely or not). So.....I kinda wonder if CC companies don't work in a similar manner, OK the charge and then their "anti-theft/fraud" department processes kick in within 24 hours.

If that's the case, if the CC kinda acts like Paypal where if something non-legit comes up the guy selling is out the item and the money. Make that happen 1% on a few hundred thousand sales and that would get enormously costly.

Just kind of a musing on my part because I don't see how any seller can be sure they aren't being taken for a ride down fraud street on each and every transaction....even from seemingly loyal customers (stolen cards). And in a down economy with almost no sign of it turning around for a good number of years in many places.

depends how close you are to the warehouse...I always choose free shipping and I usually get it within a day or 2 because it ships from the NJ warehouse (I'm in NY)

i've sort of given up on the egg. haven't ordered a single thing from them in over 3 years. i built my entire rig using exactly the components i wanted, all purchased from amazon. since i'm a prime member, the price + "guaranteed" shipping ended up being quite a bit cheaper than newegg, and i actually got everything exactly when i expected it. meh.

Amazon Prime is better, but lately the 'free 2 day shipping' has been taking 3-4 days. I feel for ya. You should contact Newegg via their webchat and see about a partial refund for the shipping costs

thing about amazon is if you whine you get credit, lots of them. theyve given me enough creit for not meeting the two day or pre release guarantee to pay for a prime membership.

@ OP, did you get the processed/shipped mail on the same day you ordered? in that case... idk, I've had the worst experiences with UPS out of Fedex and DHL. Might be UPS fault, or 50/50 blame.

In fact I miss when fedex was the cheapest option at newegg. Once had a guy miss my house, so they called the driver for me and told him to come back.. got my package 2 hours later. Tried that with ups once.. yeah right!

newegg is getting really big so this is some indication on how they may be handling it. they just launched an tv ad campaign targeting best buy (with subtlety), was kind of funny.

I recently complained to newegg about their 7-day "Guaranteed 3-day shipping". I was especially ticked off because UPS had it in their warehouse in my city at 6am Friday morning and couldn't get it to my door until 5:45pm monday evening, 60 hours to travel 12 miles...and they wouldn't let me pick it up at the warehouse until they'd failed to deliver it at least once (UPS's fault not Newegg's there, but it still keeps me from getting my shipment).
Anyways, here's a breakdown of Newegg's shipping times as explained to me by their CSR:
Ok, so 24hrs minimum and up to 96hrs if you happened to order Friday after you get off work.

Of course not. It's not like people might want to use their toys over the weekend, what madness.

Ooh, that's a fun one, so really your 3-day shipping is 3+1 days, cute.

So if I count correctly, we have 1-4 days processing time, plus the 1 day we don't count when you ship the product, plus 3 business days shipping time...I count 5 business days minimum there, and since there's only 5 business days in your week, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a weekend in there (which they take off), so really it's 7-day shipping.

I responded to this policy letter that they need to include an Estimated Delivery Date on the order page, so I would be able to plan for my components taking a full week to arrive in the future.

Newegg CSR replied that this would be impossible due to not knowing how long it would take to process and ship out a specific order...I copied and pasted their 24-48 hour estimate from her first reply and noted she hadn't had any problems estimating the processing time in that email.

I concluded my reply by stating that due to Newegg's highly unreliable shipping times and unwillingness to provide accurate delivery estimates, I would simply refuse any packages that did not arrive in the guaranteed delivery window in the future. I encourage others to do so as well, and make sure you let them know afterward that the reason you refused the shipment was their deceitful and misleading shipping guarantee.

LOL...you're so anal. Relax man

It might just be me, but I've always thought this was the standard. Any shipping time quoted that you pay for is based on date that it's shipped, not from the time that you placed the order. In terms of semantics "shipping time" is the time that the package is en-route via the shipper; any time before that is considered processing/handling time. Some retailers are clearer at defining the time required for each phase while others like newegg don't tell you much until you ask. Counting the weekend as processing time is a bit of a logical fluke as well.

If you desperately need something by a certain date then there are retailers that will do that for you, though they cost quite a bit more.

I do agree that Amazon's much friendlier when it comes to disputing any issues. I once called Amazon.uk about an order of blu-rays that hadn't shown up after three weeks, just to see if they could track it. The CSR took a look at the order, told me that that was too long, and that he'd placed a replacement order...without me even asking.

It might just be me, but I've always thought this was the standard. Any shipping time quoted that you pay for is based on date that it's shipped, not from the time that you placed the order. In terms of semantics "shipping time" is the time that the package is en-route via the shipper; any time before that is considered processing/handling time. Some retailers are clearer at defining the time required for each phase while others like newegg don't tell you much until you ask. Counting the weekend as processing time is a bit of a logical fluke as well.

If you desperately need something by a certain date then there are retailers that will do that for you, though they cost quite a bit more.

I do agree that Amazon's much friendlier when it comes to disputing any issues. I once called Amazon.uk about an order of blu-rays that hadn't shown up after three weeks, just to see if they could track it. The CSR took a look at the order, told me that that was too long, and that he'd placed a replacement order...without me even asking.

Yeah I think you are correct that the number of days for shipment is from the day it ships. In addition, the number of days is the time the shipper guarantees for the shipment to take place and that the vendor is explaining they will be ordering freight based on this ship option (ie Next Day, 2nd Day, Ground, etc). For the most part the vendor can guarantee the time for the order to be processed to when it ships (ie orders will be shipped within 24 hours from the time your payment is processed). However beyond that point it is basically in the hands of the freight carrier. The vendor can pressure the freight carrier to resolve issues but the control is now in the hands of the freight carrier.

I understand that shipping time is from the day it ships but newegg taking nearly 3 days to get it in the mail is rediculous.

Go to your local brick and mortar store and buy your parts if you can't handle the extra day or two for the whopping $10 you spent on shipping....

NE has always provided me with fast shipping, great customer service, and good prices. +1 for NE

I live in Vegas, I get all my stuff in time 2-3 days from their cali warehouse on 3-day guaranteed. No delays so far.

It's all in the shipping. Small items such as thumb drives/Ram especially will go via the DHL hand-off method which is just idiotic, but I dont think it was Neweggs choice. They did it to keep the shipping prices comparable by switch from UPS to this. I cant fault them for that. But it just pisses me off when an Item I ordered comes from the Cali warehouse, then goes to Washington, only to be shipped back to Oregon to get to me. Retarded. Happens every time I order something small that fits in a padded envelope.

I dont see how the rush delivery is a scam? I remember Anand (or maybe [H]? I dont remember) did a look inside of how the Newegg warehouse runs, they showed exactly what they do. They have bins on a conveyor belt with 2 colors. I think it was Yellow for normal shipping and Blue for rushed. They just simply gave priority to the Blue bins and made sure they are filled first. Doesn't seem like a scam to me when you are someone who is the size of Newegg, you might not be able to fulfill all the bins in a day. And if you rush it and they dont, you dont have to pay for the rush. Could it be that more people are using the rush and just getting priority over everyone elses?

Others may do it better in your eyes (amazon) but you have to take that into account when you decide on your order along with price and all of the rest.

To me there are pro's and con's to both. I liked Newegg better in the old days though as well. Shipping was quicker but again, not sure you can fault them when the shipping prices go up. They gotta do somethin. To me they are still a viable place to buy items from.

I've learned to never pay extra for extended shipping. The parts that don't count are the time it takes for them to actually send it, and all the time it sits at a warehouse somewhere, or at the border.

So 5 day shipping is actually like 2 weeks, so if you pay for 3 day then you're knocking 2 days off those 2 weeks. not worth it.

Just ordered a SSD on Tuesday night. So that means it will ship out Wednesday.

The package was initially scheduled for Monday 27th, but it was moved up to Friday 24th. Three days.

I didn't pay anything extra. It's shipping from TN instead of CA/MA so I'm able to get it on time.
Never pay extra unless it's shipping via FedEx.

Newegg is shit now lets just face it. Before I never had such problems. Items ordered were always shipped out that day. Especially single items. How fucking hard is it to pull a hard drive or video card off the shelf, box it, and ship it? 10 minutes? No excuses here. You fall behind, how about hiring more staff? There's a novel idea.

No reason that my item, which was ordered within ample time, with rush processing, shouldn't go out the same day. Shit Amazon was able to do it NO PROBLEM.

Fuck you Newegg. Never getting my business again if I can help it.

Newegg is shit now lets just face it. Before I never had such problems. Items ordered were always shipped out that day. Especially single items. How fucking hard is it to pull a hard drive or video card off the shelf, box it, and ship it? 10 minutes? No excuses here. You fall behind, how about hiring more staff? There's a novel idea.

No reason that my item, which was ordered within ample time, with rush processing, shouldn't go out the same day. Shit Amazon was able to do it NO PROBLEM.

Fuck you Newegg. Never getting my business again if I can help it.

this is wrong on so many levels....your idea of whats involved is oversimplified and naive at best, i wont even go into detail, but anyone who has seen what a national distribution system takes to run would understand....is it perfect, of course not, but its not just some warehouse with a few people standing around a computer waiting for you to place your order so they can run go get something off the shelf and put it in a box...

and the characterization in comparison to Amazon is weak. in many cases the seller is more like what you described above...its an individual or small business owner doing business on Amazon but quite literally its one guy sitting at a computer waiting for an order to come in and all he has to do is take it of the shelf and ship it....so yeah....

this is wrong on so many levels....your idea of whats involved is oversimplified and naive at best, i wont even go into detail, but anyone who has seen what a national distribution system takes to run would understand....is it perfect, of course not, but its not just some warehouse with a few people standing around a computer waiting for you to place your order so they can run go get something off the shelf and put it in a box...

and the characterization in comparison to Amazon is weak. in many cases the seller is more like what you described above...its an individual or small business owner doing business on Amazon but quite literally its one guy sitting at a computer waiting for an order to come in and all he has to do is take it of the shelf and ship it....so yeah....

You have got to admit, Amazon is able to do it with no problem. Amazon also has the best return policy. They almost always go against their return policy accepting returns they shouldn't and rarely ever charge restocking or missing items fees. I am an Amazon FBA seller which means Amazon ships and stores my items. I absolutely hate how they accept returns when items are missing the box, accessories, after 30 days, etc, but they do. Granted, I do get them to reimburse me if the above happens. They always, 100% of the time if you claim an item is defective, pay for your return shipping. They are definitely very buyer friendly.

I purchase nearly everything through Amazon. I have had a free prime membership for years now. They *always* get my items here within the 1 or 2 day window in good condition. I guess if you want faster shipping, a better return policy, and generally cheaper items, then shop at Amazon. As long as it is Free Super Shipping Saver or Prime eligible, it is being shipping by Amazon.

Prove me wrong. Show me this "proof" of how Newegg operates. I would love to see it.

Silly me but I thought that's how a shipping warehouse operates. People place orders, they receive the orders, they package and ship the orders. There's nothing complicated about it.

Case in point, I used to work for a company where I personally built machines all day. I built them, gave them (boxed up) to our shipping guy and they went out. As long as I received the order within a reasonable time-frame everything went out the same day. That's how it was. There was no reason for a normal order NOT to go out the same day.

They're not building the fucking video cards. It's in stock on their shelf.

Also, the items I purchased from Amazon themselves(at the exact same time by the way). Again, these multiple items purchased from Amazon were sold and shipped by them. So to me that means it used their people, their warehouse and their stock. Not "Tim and Bob's hardware shoppe."

So where the great difference between Amazon's warehouses and Newegg's? Oh I know, one of them gives a shit about their customers... can you guess which one?

So again, Newegg sucks and has fallen from grace. Amazon is the reigning king.

Stop making excuses for this garbage company.

Haha I was complaining to Newegg and the rep just closed the session. What awesome customer service!

You have got to admit, Amazon is able to do it with no problem.

Amazon's distribution system is simply amazing and is basically what companies strive for. Not to mention Amazon is significantly larger than Newegg in terms of company size and infrastructure. Saying that "Amazon can do it, so why can't xyz company?" is not exactly a fair comparison.

Dallows: It's obvious you hate Newegg, but you are definitely oversimplifying things. You can't simply scale your example of you handing a box to your shipping person to an operation the size of Newegg's.

I'm not saying Newegg is amazing and great, but c'mon....let's be reasonable here.

Haha I was complaining to Newegg and the rep just closed the session. What awesome customer service!
Just reading the attitude from your previous post, I'm not surprised.

care to post the exchange...? from your tone here I bet it wasn't very pleasant...

I had an Amazon order sit on a shelf for 6 days, I ordered it Wednesday, it processed on Thursday and it didn't actually ship until Tuesday (just to be clear, it was not a holiday weekend)...

meh, it happens everywhere...even Amazon...

care to post the exchange...? from your tone here I bet it wasn't very pleasant...

I had an Amazon order sit on a shelf for 6 days, I ordered it Wednesday, it processed on Thursday and it didn't actually ship until Tuesday (just to be clear, it was not a holiday weekend)...

What was the quoted shipping time? You know where it says "ships in 1-3 days" and such?

I remember placing an order for an item that had an estimated 1-2 month shipping time, then Amazon shot me an email a few days later basically saying they got it in stock and shipped it. That was a nice surprise :)

Amazon's distribution system is simply amazing and is basically what companies strive for. Not to mention Amazon is significantly larger than Newegg in terms of company size and infrastructure. Saying that "Amazon can do it, so why can't xyz company?" is not exactly a fair comparison.

Dallows: It's obvious you hate Newegg, but you are definitely oversimplifying things. You can't simply scale your example of you handing a box to your shipping person to an operation the size of Newegg's.

I'm not saying Newegg is amazing and great, but c'mon....let's be reasonable here.

Just reading the attitude from your previous post, I'm not surprised.

But again, Newegg was NEVER like this before the buyout/going public. It was a great company.

I don't hate Newegg, they're just a disappointment. I'm not oversimplifying anything, they just suck now. I didn't hand boxes to my shipping guy. I built many computers during the day. It was a well-oiled machine that could easily scale with order demands.

There have been numerous posts about this on this forum as well.

No I closed it after she killed the session. I'm always courteous and level headed regardless of my anger level when dealing with people. I learned that a while ago.

All I said to "her" was something like "just so you know I ordered multiple items from amazon at the same time as this order and those items are already on the truck to be delivered. I doubt I'll order anything from you guys again unless I absolutely have to."

Nothing wrong with that. It's a perfectly acceptable way of stating ones displeasure with a company. She should've addressed my concerns to help me gain confidence again in their company. But they don't care.

This statement is a litttle out of context though. You say Amazon but we can't be sure it was actually sold and shipped from them, or a mom and pop. Amazon also gives clear estimations during checkout and after the order is confirmed.

I did not realize my little rant was such a hot topic. I guess some online businesses should something along the line where there is a "shipped on" date meaning thats when they sent it out and/or an "expected delivery date" based on the type of delivery selected. Not just a generic...UPS 2day....2 days from when? Anyways I more than likely will still purchase from newegg if the deal is good enough. But I think I am done with buying parts for awhile so maybe by the time I do start buying again things will improve. After all they are doing commercials now and hopefully with the new exposure they are getting they revampcertain things they do...ie shipping.

I have to say very rarely do I ever have a problem with Newegg. Their free ground shipping is like overnight and faster than the two day air ups service. Only once I received a package that was packed so poorly looked like ups guys were play soccer with it. I recently ordered items of Tiger with two day guarantied shipping and it was late so it came monday. At my request they credited me the shipping charges! How awesome is that!

Also side note: Neweggs boxes now say something like warning Awesome inside.. Not sure about that..

This statement is a litttle out of context though. You say Amazon but we can't be sure it was actually sold and shipped from them, or a mom and pop. Amazon also gives clear estimations during checkout and after the order is confirmed.

true enough, I'm unemployed right now so I save $ where I can and didn't want anything but free shipping, so from my experience Newegg's free shipping is much faster than Amazon's...

I also had the same problem with a NZXT Gamma I posted in the hot deals section, I ordered it (with the free shipping) and canceled on the 5th day after I had ordered (it still hadn't shipped yet), and ordered a deal Newegg had on the Corsair 600T, which arrived in 4 days...

meh, after my couple of experiences with Amazon and my many experiences with Newegg (1 unexpected shipping delay in the 3 or 4 years I've been ordering from Newegg) I would honestly say that I prefer Newegg...

I'd even go as far as to say that Amazon is 3rd on my list, even behind Buy.com...

Lets not forget about Dell. They're over priced and the only reason i shop from them is I had credit card reward points. I even ordered something couple weeks ago from Dell and the item shipped out immediately but they put no packing material in the box at all such that it must have been bouncing about in there. Good thing the manufacturer used foam blocks. Imagine if the item waa oem.. Bad marks for dell or the stoner they got in the warehouse wrapping things up!

Interesting comparison between newegg's fulfillment vs amazon's fulfillment:

Newegg
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Yo4RxSbwI&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪NewEgg Order Fulfillment‬‏[/ame]

Amazon
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6H7nfHjHtY&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Amazon Warehouse's processing‬‏[/ame]

newegg is not what they were years ago. i remember the newegg that offered free ups or fedex shipping on pretty much every item, minus the big stuff7 they often got it out the same day or at the latest the next day. now they take 2 or 3 days to ship stuff, and in order to get free shipping, i opted for the egg saver shipping which was a huge mistake because it took me 8 days to get ram i ordered, and it was shipped from and to the east coast. i pretty much avoid newegg now and order from amazon. my uncle just ordered a laptop, amazon had the same laptop 200 dollars cheaper. newegg is gonna be the next cdw if they dont watch out.

I have to say very rarely do I ever have a problem with Newegg. Their free ground shipping is like overnight and faster than the two day air ups service. Only once I received a package that was packed so poorly looked like ups guys were play soccer with it. I recently ordered items of Tiger with two day guarantied shipping and it was late so it came monday. At my request they credited me the shipping charges! How awesome is that!

Also side note: Neweggs boxes now say something like warning Awesome inside.. Not sure about that..

Really depends on where you are though. If Newegg's free shipping is UPS and you're in the same state as the warehouse it's overnight.

Back