Newegg Open Box Supermicro boards.... take a chance?

pillagenburn

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have any experience with Supermicro open box boards from Newegg? Do they even test them? Or just straight on to the next customer?

Given what we've seen of their refurbs I'd be hesitant.
I'm not up on that one - was there some fiasco with refurbs? This board I'm looking at appears to be open box (though not sure what that even means - could have been returned from RMA?)

yeah no..... The way they treated Gamers Nexus... nope. I basically won't order from them at all now.

Espeically "open box" you are just looking to get screwed dealing with newegg.

They push the problem onto the next customer. Yes, there was a huge fiasco about this.

What board are you looking for? Have you tried ebay or alibaba? There are a few good chinese sellers on ebay that sell new & used server stuff, and alibaba has slightly better prices with basically the same people (much better prices if you're buying 10+). Most of the prices I've seen on newegg are too high.

What board are you looking for? Have you tried ebay or alibaba? There are a few good chinese sellers on ebay that sell new & used server stuff, and alibaba has slightly better prices with basically the same people (much better prices if you're buying 10+). Most of the prices I've seen on newegg are too high.
I'm looking for a H12SSL ... would prefer 10gbe. Newegg has a -NT for $450 but from what you all say it's probably got bent pins or has been shat on repeatedly.

I'm looking for a H12SSL ... would prefer 10gbe. Newegg has a -NT for $450 but from what you all say it's probably got bent pins or has been shat on repeatedly.
Get any board and pick up a cheap Mellanox 10G nic, or a set of the newer Marvell ones.

I mean, they did change their open box return policy to 'no questions asked' so unless they've revised that, I wouldn't write off Newegg just because it's Newegg. That said, it's often 'open box' for a reason, and that reason usually isn't good.

$450 for that isn't bad but you can get a new one on alibaba for $410+s/h so probably the same price, but 2-3 week delivery instead of 2-3 days. If you trust newegg's open box return policy you could chance it I guess. If you're lucky it's just someone who put in incompatible RAM or something and didn't know how to troubleshoot it, but with LGA sockets it seems like people love to bend pins.

$450 for that isn't bad but you can get a new one on alibaba for $410+s/h so probably the same price, but 2-3 week delivery instead of 2-3 days. If you trust newegg's open box return policy you could chance it I guess. If you're lucky it's just someone who put in incompatible RAM or something and didn't know how to troubleshoot it, but with LGA sockets it seems like people love to bend pins.
I'm going with someone took a rotten dump in the CPU socket.

I'd go with Alibaba.... but who the hell knows what the return policy on that one looks like.

Thanks for listening to our advice and actually listening. There's so many threads where someone asks if Newegg is good, people post the usual Gamer's Nexus story, and then OP continues to go "Yeah but... are you sure?".

I would go with the NE board. Good luck getting a refund from Alibaba. ME is on a short lease right now and they know better to screw people over ATM.

Thanks for listening to our advice and actually listening. There's so many threads where someone asks if Newegg is good, people post the usual Gamer's Nexus story, and then OP continues to go "Yeah but... are you sure?".
Yeah I like not losing money so thank you for helping me not lose money.

The only caveat I can see is if that allstate insurance policy you can buy at checkout for $60 would actually pay in the event that I got screwed by Newegg. Essentially selling the board to the Insurance company but I have a feeling they don't cover bent pins.

I would go with the NE board. Good luck getting a refund from Alibaba. ME is on a short lease right now and they know better to screw people over ATM.
This is a very good point. If they send me a fuboard I would just send a picture to Gamers Nexus and then Newegg would proceed to get their shit pushed in.

In my case writing off newegg isn't about what they may or may not try to pull now.... But I don't want to give them money as they had been doing this to people without a large platform to force them to address it, for years and years. (allegedly*)

Very similar reports from regular customers have been floating around about newegg messing people about on RMA's ..shipping damaged goods then rejecting RMA, damaging the goods themselves when they got to newegg and then rejecting the RMA... What happen to GN isn't at all an isolated event... They have been doing this for what 10~yrs from reports I have read and saw. (allegedly*)

I hadn't ordered anything from newegg since 2014 because they ticked me off on an order... Also even further back, before they got bought, newegg was notorious for sending VERY badly packed hard drives .. this would in turn result in very high failure rates, as the HDs got shaken all to heck in shipping.. I experienced this little newegg practice myself with a very poorly packed hard drive...which to my "great surprise" developed bad sectors fairly shortly. (allegedly*)

They are at their core "bad faith sellers" just because they have to play nice for the time being after all the fallout from messing GN about.. they are still the same shady aholes they were before and the 1st chance they get they will be right back to being jerks... (allegedly*)

*just in case neweggs lawyers are reading this:: and as a "hilarious" reference to "Business Blaze" (now: Brain Blaze) youtube channel..

Anyone have any experience with Supermicro open box boards from Newegg? Do they even test them? Or just straight on to the next customer?
I would give it a shot. Worst case you return it within 30 days. Best case you got a solid mono for cheap.

That’s the whole point. When they tried to return it Newegg told them to fuck off. So worst case you’re out the money entirely

That’s the whole point. When they tried to return it Newegg told them to fuck off. So worst case you’re out the money entirely
I doubt they have the balls to do something like that at this time. In my experience NE has never done me wrong and took care of me with no issues.

Maybe Steve/GN should check it out again since they supposedly changed their ways for open box stuff after beeing in that shitstorm

I doubt they have the balls to do something like that at this time. In my experience NE has never done me wrong and took care of me with no issues.

If theyre resorting to passing losses on to customers via deception then thats the mark of a very distressed company IMO. No telling what theyd do in that case.

If theyre resorting to passing losses on to customers via deception then thats the mark of a very distressed company IMO. No telling what theyd do in that case.
How about this? About two years ago I got curious about all those resellers on Amazon with obvious "made up" weird names. Given my career focus, I thought I should look into this a bit. First I discovered that there is an entire industry niche in China devoted to creating these weird names, like ADEVYYAID. (My example only.) It's the opposite of good marketing, since the brand names are not memorable. Then I discovered that among smaller Chinese manufacturers there is a lot of disdain and and even contempt for Western customers. Cheating, fooling, tricking these customers is admired. Think phony reviews on Amazon, very poor customer service, and outright misrepresentation of product information.

I also think that Newegg learned the wrong lesson from Amazon when they created their "marketplace" of third-party sellers.

This article gives good background. Note losses in some years. https://labusinessjournal.com/retail/newegg-ipo-reverse-merger-4b-valuation/

So I still buy some stuff from Newegg, but it's no longer my GO TO store.

so, what is current status buying Open box from Newegg?
Too much damage has been done to their open box reputation from all I'm seeing. They probably just need to spin up a company that dumps their returned stock through Ebay

Refurbished should be from the manufacturer there so as long as you trust the brand that is an option, the ones I've bought have come in white boxes from Asus, etc.

Back