Newegg no-rebate $5 Antivirus deals...

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
There are all kinds of deals for multiple pcs and a large rebate = free, but I like to have different AV produts at home so if a virus on the network passes one AV, hopefully another catches it. Also not a fan of large rebates. These are a 5'er straight up & done.

$5
Panda Antivirus Pro 2015
Trend Micro Antivirus 2015
Kaspersky Antivirus 2015
Eset nod32
Bitdefender 2015
McAffee 2015
Threattrack security Vipre 2015
Webroot 3 device - antivirus 2015
AVG Antivirus 2015
Bitdefender 2015

$10 - $2 coupon code ISCYMSPC14 = $8
Various security suites (thanks nilepez!)
http://www.newegg.com/The-Main-Store/EventSaleStore/ID-56?Category=295&Order=PRICE

Last edited:
I'm tempted on Eset. I've heard great things about it. Tbh I don't even use an AV but it would make a good Christmas present or maybe I would use it for myself if I change my mind.

I know people who have used Eset for years and never had an issue. Webroot is actually supposed to be really good. Panda and BitDefender were very good in last years tests but I think they've fallen a small amount recently. Haven't used Kaspersky in years but would be willing to try for $5.

I typically order panda, kaspersky, eset & trend for my 4 pcs. I posted the rest in case someone else is interested :)

I decided to go check out AV Test, Eset Nod32 was just OK, Bit defender was great, and Kaspersky was amazing. For some reason Webroot isn't tested anymore and the last test in 2013 scored pretty badly.

I decided to go check out AV Test, Eset Nod32 was just OK, Bit defender was great, and Kaspersky was amazing. For some reason Webroot isn't tested anymore and the last test in 2013 scored pretty badly.

Looks like the biggest thing going against Eset on AV Test is performance, which is odd; I've never had performance issues on any of my PCs using est. AV Comparatives actually rates Eset the best in terms of performance over a variety of tests here: http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/avc_per_201410_en.pdf. That being said, Bitdefender is awesome as well and I've bought many licenses for my family. Head over to G2A.com and buy 6 month Bitdefender licenses for a dollar or two.

The biggest thing I keep in mind regarding Bitdefender is that it suffers heavy performance issues when using it in conjunction with Malwarebytes real time monitoring. Expect disk usage to go crazy and the system to creep to a halt, depending on how powerful it is. That being said, using both is overkill anyway.

Webroot is what we typically install/recommend at work. Been using it on my home machine for awhile now and it seems good.

Wonder why people pay for AV when even BitDefender offers a free version.

Wonder why people pay for AV when even BitDefender offers a free version.

I've always used a free tool but I do also recommend some paid tools for users. I also have my systems more locked down than the average person does so I'm at low risk of infection.

I'm tempted on Eset. I've heard great things about it. Tbh I don't even use an AV but it would make a good Christmas present or maybe I would use it for myself if I change my mind.

I use to be a non AV person. But a few years ago, Norton became good and up until this year, you could always get it for free AR. Long story short, I've seen far too many times where I go to a website (one you'd think was totally safe) and some add is trying to install a trojan or a rootkit. It's only happened a few times, but it's often enough for me to always run it. Whether you get ESET or one of the others, I long ago got off the AV is only for NEWBs bandwagon.

Never used Newegg Download service. It states it has a limit of 5.

If I download a quantity of 3 can I save them to different folders on a USB stick and apply them to different PCs or do I have to download each one separately onto each PC I want to use?

Never used Newegg Download service. It states it has a limit of 5.

If I download a quantity of 3 can I save them to different folders on a USB stick and apply them to different PCs or do I have to download each one separately onto each PC I want to use?

They just send you keys not a download.
Order 3 you will get 3 keys to use where you want.

You get the download link to but its just to get the installer.

You are buying product keys to use their software you will get an email with a link and however many keys you ordered.
I didn't read any fine print saying when you have to activate it but you will be stuck to whatever version you purchased so if you wait until 2016 you will only be able to use the 2015 version.

I bought nod32 3 copies and bitdefender 3 copies then 5 minutes later got an email with the 3 of each keys and the link to download an installer.

Thanks OP, I went with Bitdefender. Price is $5 at Amazon still.

I use Panda. Doesn't look like there is any advantage to paying $5 for the "Pro" version over the free version.

Picked up kaspersky. Hopefully I'll get the key soon. I remember it being instant in the past....

Got the key

so what is best one? is there anything free that's as good these days ?

The first thing you can do is see what your ISP is offering for free. Comcast generally gives you Norton 360, which generally well regarded. Some give you mcafee (haven't used it since the 90s). You can get a 3 pc license for Kaspersky from Fry's for free AR
Frys link: http://www.frys.com/product/7533916?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Rebate PDF example: http://images.frys.com/art/rebates_pdf/7533916_120414.pdf

You have to mail them in quickly, but with one exception 13 years ago (for a label maker), I've always gotten rebates from Fry's and my one attempt with Kaspersky was fine.

What I don't now is how good it is. I didn't like it 7 or 8 years ago (wanted too much user interaction), but I may try it again at some point. With that said, Fry's offers it for free with some regularity.

Also looking for a new AV ESET ran out and I've got three systems to cover (all home) I run MalwareBytes not sure what I should use to supplement it or if we need more protection at all.

So like I could use a key near the end of next year to extend my service for another year?
That's what I'm doing with the ESET code I bought. I wonder if I could buy 2 more and use them in 2016 and 2017. Haven't found an answer, yet, but doubt it.

Last edited:
Thanks, in for two copies of Kaspersky. Had to try for a few minutes while they bounced in-stock and out-of-stock.

Thanks, in for two copies of Kaspersky. Had to try for a few minutes while they bounced in-stock and out-of-stock.

if that was from Fry's (hope not), you probably are only eligible for one rebate. I'd cancel the order, reorder 1 of them and have someone else (on a different card at a different address) order the other copy.

If you're buying $5.00 digital copies, then ignore me ;)

Webroot will do 3 devices. Is it enough inferior to the others to not be worth it for that feature? I'd like to put it on my surface pro 3 and my wife's desktop, and my HTPC which is always on. I also like the best bang/buck, but I still want it to be good antivirus. I used to like Webroot quite a bit, but it's been a couple of years since I've used it. Recommendations?

if that was from Fry's (hope not), you probably are only eligible for one rebate. I'd cancel the order, reorder 1 of them and have someone else (on a different card at a different address) order the other copy.

If you're buying $5.00 digital copies, then ignore me ;)

$5 digital copy =D can't be arsed to fill out rebates! thanks for the heads up though, might help someone else out

Webroot will do 3 devices. Is it enough inferior to the others to not be worth it for that feature? I'd like to put it on my surface pro 3 and my wife's desktop, and my HTPC which is always on. I also like the best bang/buck, but I still want it to be good antivirus. I used to like Webroot quite a bit, but it's been a couple of years since I've used it. Recommendations?

Some places are calling it one of the best AV of the year.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470312,00.asp

I just installed it for a test drive today, as it's supposed to be quite lightweight and particularly good at blocking malicious URLs. Any problems I've had with infection in the past several years are related to surfing the web (not emails or DL'ed files) so I really want to beef up that area of protection.

Last edited:
Some places are calling it one of the best AV of the year.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470312,00.asp

I just installed it for a test drive today, as it's supposed to be quite lightweight and particularly good at blocking malicious URLs. Any problems I've had with infection in the past several years are related to surfing the web (not emails or DL'ed files) so I really want to beef up that area of protection.

Well, I guess I'll give it a try! Seems like the best bang/buck. Thanks for your input.

Wow. Was in cart. Price just jumped to $40. Nice. Made the decision easy!

There are all kinds of deals for multiple pcs and a large rebate = free, but I like to have different AV produts at home so if a virus on the network passes one AV, hopefully another catches it. Also not a fan of large rebates. These are a 5'er straight up & done.

$5
Panda Antivirus Pro 2015
Trend Micro Antivirus 2015
Kaspersky Antivirus 2015
Eset nod32
Bitdefender 2015
McAffee 2015
Threattrack security Vipre 2015
Webroot 3 device - antivirus 2015
AVG Antivirus 2015
Bitdefender 2015

$10 - $2 coupon code ISCYMSPC14 = $8
Various security suites (thanks nilepez!)
http://www.newegg.com/The-Main-Store/EventSaleStore/ID-56?Category=295&Order=PRICE

Amazon has Norton Security (1 User/5PCs, based on Q/A on AMAZON) for $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHZ6Z64/

I'm undecided right now. Until last year It'd beend 6 or 7 years since i had to pay for Norton, but I'm generally happy with it. Still, I may give Webroot a try...tough call since I'm using this on my PC as well as my parents and change isn't always good in that case.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
so what is best one? is there anything free that's as good these days ?

Free has always broken stuff at some point for me. They had these $5 AV last year as well, so if this trend continues, just spend the $5/year on something that is hassle free.

Free has always broken stuff at some point for me. They had these $5 AV last year as well, so if this trend continues, just spend the $5/year on something that is hassle free.

If you're willing to deal with rebates, many of the best AV packages (which may or may not include a firewall, phishing protection, etc) are often available for free, especially at Fry's. The main exception (at least for the last year) is Norton, which is probably because it's recovered from it's low point around versions 2005-2007(8?)).

Kaspersky's suite is still, probably, free on that site right now, AR, but you'll spend 60 or 70 up front. I'm sure others are free too. It's a common theme at Frys (and not just from Thanksgiving - Xmas).

Amazon has some deal on Kaspersky's 3PC suite at 8:40pm (Eastern Time). It's currently $25.00. My guess is 19.99, but you'll have to check at that time. Check the Cyber Monday Link (and then select Software).

Last edited:
Back