Newegg mushkin pricing

ones guranteed to run in dual channel mode, as its tested, thats where the extra 7 bucks comes from

No, don't bother, it's a waste of 7 bucks, if you buy them at the same time you're 99.9% chance it will run in dual channel

let me ask you a question, is dual channel worth 7 dollars to you?

if you answered yes: then get the pack

if you answered no: then get 2 single sticks and save money

Originally posted by messiah101
let me ask you a question, is dual channel worth 7 dollars to you?

if you answered yes: then get the pack

if you answered no: then get 2 single sticks and save money
No, this is quite wrong. You can run dual channel with 2 of the regular types. The 'dual channel' memory is basically a marketing term, technically they 'test' them to make sure they will work together. What does this really mean? Who knows, likely they are just produced at the same time, and rated for the same speed (not the rated speed on the chips, but their actual capacity). At any rate, you can stick 2 different brands of 2 different speeds (as long are at least the required speed for the board, ala 400 and 434 mhz ram in a 400 board) in dual channel.

That being said there is something about getting matching memory (in any system really, but esp. dual channel). Both brand and speed is nice, but as long at they are the same types of chips it doesn't matter if they are 'dual channel' as any RAM can be run in DC.

wow pheonix, way to not read the whole thread

your post was made obsolete by people saying this already, liek me and misadventure

i posted this in conjunction with my second post lol

Originally posted by Phoenix86
No, this is quite wrong. You can run dual channel with 2 of the regular types. The 'dual channel' memory is basically a marketing term, technically they 'test' them to make sure they will work together. What does this really mean? Who knows, likely they are just produced at the same time, and rated for the same speed (not the rated speed on the chips, but their actual capacity). At any rate, you can stick 2 different brands of 2 different speeds (as long are at least the required speed for the board, ala 400 and 434 mhz ram in a 400 board) in dual channel.

That being said there is something about getting matching memory (in any system really, but esp. dual channel). Both brand and speed is nice, but as long at they are the same types of chips it doesn't matter if they are 'dual channel' as any RAM can be run in DC.

You are very correct, I have already said that there's no point ingetting the dual channel packs if you are buying yoru ram at the same time, it should run just fine

Originally posted by messiah101
wow pheonix, way to not read the whole thread

your post was made obsolete by people saying this already, liek me and misadventure

i posted this in conjunction with my second post lol
WOW, imagine for a second I did read the whole thread (all 1 page of it :rolleyes: ). Now imagine your the one who needed to read the whole thread before posting. Your Q&A says that if DC is worth $7, then get the pack. This is incorrect as Misadventure already said. You can still run DC with 'non DC' memory. 'DC memory' is a marketing term, so by all means buy the more expensive memory and pad the manufacturers wallet, it will mean they can afford to produce better products for ME, that I will buy at reasonable prices. Simply put, your wrong messiah101. Do some research and you'll see what I mean. You can start here.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=707289

It's a bit of reading, unlike this one page thread.

Misadventure, sorry to reiterate your point, but messiah101's a little late to the game and posted contradicting and incorrect information.

I usually buy the kits instead of messing around with buying them individually. Sure you might save a few bucks but theres a few things that could happen when dealing with different brands of RAM. All the mushkin lvl 2 has BH-5 chips but for other brands that used mixed chips you could end up with two different chips on the two sticks and that wouldn't be good at all. If nothing else you could end up with two different colored heatspreaders and that right there would piss me off lol.

Two different colored heat spreaders would suck.. It would piss me off too.

But actually, 7 dollars is 7 dollars. It totaly depends on if you have something else to spend that 7 dollars on. Up untill about 2 days ago, I didn't know anything about dual channel, and what I thought of it was completely false.

Now that I know quite a bit about it, I don't think I'm going to bother with the dual channel kits. My plan was to buy a dual channel kit, but if what I've learned in the past few days is true, then when I do buy my new RAM, i'm going to just get two single sticks.

your totally missing what i said

he asked what the diffrence was between the kit and the individual = 7 dollars

i said if he had money to spend, pay the extra so you know it will work in DC

then he said if i advised to pay the extra 7

i said that if he wanted a gurantee it would run in dual channel then pay the extra 7, or if he wants to save the 7 bucks, to take a chance and order seperate

so i nthe end, your were repating what i was saying before lol
so lets stop now

Actually, we've all been wrong.

The single stick is OEM. The dual channel is Retail. There's your price difference. :)

Back