Newegg is a wasteland

The first downfall IMO was when they stopped offering free 3 day shipping for almost all items. Now, if an item even has free shipping (which it seems to be less and less) it's usually 5-7 day DHL or something.

I would still go Newegg for bigger ticket items (no tax for me and typically they have free shipping on those) but for anything smaller Amazon Prime wins almost every time.

Have you been keeping track of what I wrote? Nobody is disputing the fact that it is a good deal for those who purchase from Amazon a lot..point is you pay for Amazon Prime so it's not free 2 day shipping for everyone.

True, but if you are a student you can get it for free + 1/2 off for the next 3 or so years. Plus, a lot of people pay ~$80 a year for stuff like credit cards, anyway. If you order a reasonable amount of items the subscription cost pays itself off incredibly fast...especially if you like to do the $4 overnight option.

The first downfall IMO was when they stopped offering free 3 day shipping for almost all items. Now, if an item even has free shipping (which it seems to be less and less) it's usually 5-7 day DHL or something.

I would still go Newegg for bigger ticket items (no tax for me and typically they have free shipping on those) but for anything smaller Amazon Prime wins almost every time.

Yup..I agree, small ticket items on Amazon have much better shipping.

Well what has happened was.. I was in the same boat. Been waiting for some awesome deal to pop up but nothing pique my interest. I settled on ordering the Corsair Force GT 120gb. Ended up paying $125 after coupon and there's a $30 rebate so knocks it down to $95. Corsair rebates are usually quick and painless IMHO. Now I need those 8gb laptop memory deal to pop up and I'll be set.

Got an email today for 10% off laptop memory I believe.

I still do some shopping through the egg, but I do alot more through monoprice,tiger,amazon.

Newegg shipping kills me. 3 day shipping my butt. more like 4-5 day shipping + 1-2day processing.

I can order ground from tiger and get it next day and amazon is usually 2-3days max.

I still do some shopping through the egg, but I do alot more through monoprice,tiger,amazon.

Newegg shipping kills me. 3 day shipping my butt. more like 4-5 day shipping + 1-2day processing.

I can order ground from tiger and get it next day and amazon is usually 2-3days max.

Yeah Tigerdirect is usually 1-2 shipping ground to my house but I refuse to purchase from them 99.9% of the time due to all those "stinking nasty" rebates and no low cost shipping. :)

Amazon is useless from browsing though. There search is utter rubbish. Also, it seems like Amazon only carries the most popular items so there is no selection becasue anyone on there market place that isn't fulfilled by amazon is out of there mind on pricing or shipping. Usually in my experience amazon has never been cheaper. Seems like Tiger is the place to go from cards. Directron has had some good ram pricing when I was shopping for ram a month back.

I use newegg to find something, then go on Amazon and purchase it.

Using the [H] commission link, of course!!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You do know that Amazon Prime Free 2 shipping isn't exactly free right? Not saying that it isn't better than Newegg but there is a catch as in the subscription price itself....

FYI...i just ordered a AMD cpu/mobo combo from Newegg for a screaming deal. $40 off combo plus 2 coupon codes for an extra $24 off....and free 3 day shipping. So good deals can be had.
Yeah I know. But I ordered 50+ items from Amazon in 2011, so it ends up saving me a lot of money. And you also get Prime streaming movies + television. I think it's worth it. I got it as a trial simply so I could next day air myself an 800D case for $3.99 :D and I loved it so much that I kept it.

Snide comments have no place. You can't say people are lazy then just shrug your shoulders when it doesn't apply. Troll elsewhere.
I didn't troll nor escape from anything. We normally discussed my question. So if you want to sound smarter, try different thread.;)

With one 20 mins away I dont mind the drive. I'm one of the lucky people with a MC relatively close.
I have MC and TigerDirect store within a 2 minute drive (3 minutes if the traffic is bad) :p

The thing I miss about newegg the most is trusting there pc components specs. I buy a lot of server hardware and there have been a few times in the last year I would read the specs and order based on that to find out after visiting the manufacturer site that it wasn't compatible. I miss the days of being able to completely trust newegg's site.

Most of my purchases are through Amazon. After a debacle with a motherboard purchased from NewEgg they refused to refund for a while (Q1 2011), them sending me a 'repackaged' PSU when I did not buy an open-box item (Q2 2011), the hard drive price gouging which was worse than most other vendors, and the replacement only policies on CPUs and SSDs...well...yeah. Amazon often has the GPUs and computer cases I'm interested in for cheaper too and they're often available earlier or with quicker shipping.

The only reason I buy from them now is if they have the absolute lowest price (I consider Amazon CS to be far better than NewEgg CS so sometimes is needs to be $10+ cheaper) on a returnable item, and that hasn't happened since my last NewEgg order in June of 2011.

It saddens me that NewEgg's front page has deals for watches and cordless drills too.

Well after wasting half my day looking through the site I settled on a 60 day card for SWTOR and a logitech usb desktop mic. I was really hoping to get a nice set of headphones or a decent price on a pc headset or something; no dice. Really sucks that $40 offer expires so soon.

So I have my Google offer for $40 I need to spend asap and looking through NE and have come to the realization the site has become a wasteland of "marketplace" sellers and out of stock for almost anything I would want. Not to mention the stuff I do find is usually way more expensive than Amazon.

What happened Newegg? What happened!

Yes because Amazon has no marketplace sellers. :rolleyes:
Are you kidding me? At least NewEgg has the decency to put the marketplace crap under a marketplace button on the home page and a separate section of the website.

Amazon OTOH just lists everything like they sell everything, until you pull up the product page and find out it's "sold by and ships from Mike's shop of computer shit". WTH?

I love this constant complaining of late about NewEgg doing or not doing something. :rolleyes: Vote with your wallet and shop elsewhere if it's so bad.

I can understand how people are shopping less at Newegg but I think it's because other sites have really stepped up their game in regards to pricing and shipping. Newegg's sales haven't been awesome over the last year or two, but I still find enough decent prices to justify giving them my business. Eggsaver really sucks but I will almost never pay for shipping for anything ordered online and Newegg keeps up on most of the components I buy.

However, I do find myself visiting other websites and price-checking much more. I agree that Newegg used to simply be assumed to have the best price, but I've bought from Mwave, Superbiiz, and Amazon all in the last year for PC components and they all had good deals. It is definitely true that they reserve their good deals for less-than-top-tier products. I can't list how many Radeon 6450 sales I've seen in the past year. The stuff I want is usually in stock.

I think yesterday was the first day I actually received something shipped free in more than 2 days with free shipping. Most of the time, products from Newegg arrive in their standard 2 days unless its Eggsaver, which takes a damn week. Amazing that they'll send RAM via Eggsaver and let it take a week but they'll spend the dollaz on a damn case that probably cost $15 to ship and get it here in 2 days.

I agree with voting with your wallet and I have no problem giving other sites business, but I don't see why to spend anything at TigerDirect. I haven't seen where their prices are competitive on anything recently, and I know what to expect from Amazon and Newegg.

^^^ I basically grab what I can from MC as long as the prices (after tax) are identical or better than NewEgg (after shipping). It's give and take. MC is great for some stuff (especially combos, but recently I bought a laptop there for $50 less than NE)....NewEgg still holds their own though especially on cases, graphics cards, and psu's. MC has decent sales on those items, but generally they're still (even after the sale price) higher than NewEgg, then you factor in tax and they're even higher.

Shopping around on prices though is something everyone should do ~ without question.

When NewEgg used FedEx and their prices were the lowest around period....times were different. Nowadays - there's competition everywhere, and shipping rates have went up no matter who the carrier is. EggSaver shipping sucks, but you get what you pay for. If you don't want to wait for UPS Mail Innovations or DHL's equivalent, then pay for Ground if it's a time-sensitive item that you have to have. Last I checked, every other site's free shipping methods weren't that great either....Amazon's is 4-7 days, Buy's is 5-7 I believe. If you have Prime, great. You're paying for the ability to get 2day free shipping so in essence you can say "2day is free" but the fact is you still paid for it in the end.

Last edited:
Newegg's product seach is perfect, but Amazon's way of listing products with multiple sellers is much better. I used to be a huge Newegg advocate, telling everyone I knew that was the place to go. Now, it seems like they've used their market leader position to jack up prices, so they're not nearly competitive price-wise anymore.

With Newegg...when you go to the daily deals and have to search through kids toys, jewelry and vacuum cleaners to find pc part deals it's time to start looking elsewhere as well...

With Newegg...when you go to the daily deals and have to search through kids toys, jewelry and vacuum cleaners to find pc part deals it's time to start looking elsewhere as well...

Odd. I don't have this problem.
Care to share a link or screenshot of what you're referring to?

Anytime they send out newsletters, the marketplace crap is at the bottom and therefore easily avoidable.

Newegg does still have the best search indexing by far. Browsing through amazon looking for PC parts is an absolute headache. They do have great prices, though, and customer service is very reliable.

I remember buying a 27" monitor from newegg to use as a TV and third monitor on an eyefinity setup. The monitor was fantastic out of the box (ASUS VE278Q), but soon the buttons stopped responding and the monitor's picture would display fine but getting it to do anything was a nightmare. I literally had to pull the power cord to turn it off. I browsed online and found that it was rather common among that type of monitor (asus QC has taken a nosedive outside of MBs, but for those here that's not exactly news). It didn't have very many settings, the speakers were horrific even for a monitor, and the backlight bleed, though not bad, wasn't ideal for a TV/Monitor. So I had to send it back for RMA but also didn't want to go with Asus. I sent it back as an RMA/Refund but they charged me a restocking fee of $70 on a broken monitor...

Thanks, egg.

2 lessons learned from that experience:

1- Newegg customer service isn't what it used to be. And
2- Steer clear of anything that's branded Asus outside of GPUs and MBs.

I realized this too not to long ago and have made more purchases over at AMAZON than NE. I liked when NE was all about PC parts, everything was much cheaper, and they also held a greater amount of stock.

I stopped buying (or even looking at) NewEgg long long ago.

Between their CS going down the shitter and their prices/availability being no better than I get at Amazon.com (with far better CS), I see no reason to go there anymore.

NewEgg used to be the place to go. Now it's just another has been and I don't recommend them to anyone I know anymore.

The shitty CS more than anything though cost them my business.

Have you been keeping track of what I wrote? Nobody is disputing the fact that it is a good deal for those who purchase from Amazon a lot..point is you pay for Amazon Prime so it's not free 2 day shipping for everyone.

Well the thing with Prime is that once you have it, you start to realize just *how much* Amazon has. I never used Amazon before the free prime offer for students... These days I buy everything from there, from books to computer parts and car parts. Usually their prices are quite a bit better once I factor shipping in. So at least in my situation, it's paid for itself several times over (especially when comparing the cost of textbooks to my school's prices). And the free 2-day (or $4 1-day) shipping is great too... don't really have to go to a B&M store anymore if I need an item urgently. And usually still ends up being cheaper than retail too. Not to mention savings on gas

Last edited:
Yes because Amazon has no marketplace sellers. :rolleyes:
Are you kidding me? At least NewEgg has the decency to put the marketplace crap under a marketplace button on the home page and a separate section of the website.

Amazon OTOH just lists everything like they sell everything, until you pull up the product page and find out it's "sold by and ships from Mike's shop of computer shit". WTH?

I love this constant complaining of late about NewEgg doing or not doing something. :rolleyes: Vote with your wallet and shop elsewhere if it's so bad.

You can easily sort the Amazon search results for Amazon-only items...

I haven't ordered from NewEgg for years. They lost their focus a long time ago, they had a niche as a one stop shop for everything you could want as a computer enthusiast but now they want to be a WalMart of electronics and carry everything. Last time I checked prices nothing they had was a killer deal, everything could be had cheaper from my usual sources, MWave and Amazon. They're not coming back though so don't hold out, most businesses I know shop at Newegg, so that's why they've been raising their prices and keep raking in the cash, they aren't concerned with the little guy looking for killer deals on hardware.

I miss ZipZoomFly, their prices on 4 things: RAM, HDDs, PSUs and GFX cards beat Newegg by a wide margin. Corsair brand parts in particular were always the cheapest. They also had custom foam containers for their HDD orders. Compare that to Newegg's horrible HDD packaging.

I'm in a strange situation, Amazon charges sales tax in NY while Newegg charges shipping. Prices are comparable when making large multi-item purchases such as a new computer build. Microcenter is an option but besides their loss leader CPU + motherboard combos there's not much else that I can't find online for much, much cheaper.

- Mwave has screwed up 3 orders where items went out of stock but no notifications were ever sent.
- Provantage is usually the cheapest for Server and Enterprise equipment but charges shipping.
- If NCIX had across the board free shipping, I would actually purchase from them quite often.

You can easily sort the Amazon search results for Amazon-only items...

Amazon's search system still sucks. If I search for 6950 2gb on amazon I am going to have to select a category like computer components, then amazon.com as the seller, then 2gb cards, then sort by price, then I will get a list that includes Nvidia cards, old AMD cards, maybe a few 6970 and 6870 2gb cards thrown into the mix.

I miss ZipZoomFly, their prices on 4 things: RAM, HDDs, PSUs and GFX cards beat Newegg by a wide margin. Corsair brand parts in particular were always the cheapest. They also had custom foam containers for their HDD orders. Compare that to Newegg's horrible HDD packaging.

I don't miss ZZF. Had a really, really bad experience with them that I almost took to the Illinois Attorney General. I forgot about NewEgg's HDD packaging....I stopped buying drives from them over 5 years ago.

Amazon's search system still sucks. If I search for 6950 2gb on amazon I am going to have to select a category like computer components, then amazon.com as the seller, then 2gb cards, then sort by price, then I will get a list that includes Nvidia cards, old AMD cards, maybe a few 6970 and 6870 2gb cards thrown into the mix.

+1111111

This frustrates me so much after using NE's search system. Now I use the NE search system to get in the ballpark of what I want, then google professional reviews, then check prices at Tiger and Amazon for specific items to see how they stack up with NE. Not convenient at all, but it works.

With one 20 mins away I dont mind the drive. I'm one of the lucky people with a MC relatively close.
You're telling me, I have both MC and fry's within 5 minutes. :D
And a couple years back there was a CompUSA within 7 minutes...

:cool:

The past couple times I've navigated to NewEgg have been progressive WTFs. Being abundently clear, I do NOT go to Newegg for deals on shower fixtures, exercise equipment or jewelry.

I know exactly what the execs and buyers are doing. They're getting lines on what they think are high-profit-margin goods and trying to expand their offerings to their current market - not surprising considering the razor-thin profit margin on most electronics. It won't work, no way, no how. No one wants to go to Newegg for anything other than what they're known for.

Last edited:
I've actually had several good experiences with Newegg recently. I mean, I don't really have a problem sorting through the jewelry / cordless drills on the deal emails, mostly because it's that way everywhere. I tend to base my builds around whatever is on sale at the time, with or without MIRs, and at least 7/10 times, it's cheapest at Newegg. Also, I was able to sign up for 1 year of Shoprunner when it was free a while back, so I actually have free 2-day shipping on most things.

Heck, yesterday I ordered some new case fans for my HTPC, and I had a tracking number in less than 90 minutes. I also found out there was an active promo code for a video card I ordered last week, so I pulled up the chat thing and they had no problem refunding me the $20.

For their packaging, I've never had a problem unless it's bigger/awkward stuff with multiple parts per order, and even then, I'm not sure how they could do it better beyond splitting the stuff up. I've ordered at least 8-10 hard drives in the last couple years from them, and they've all been properly packaged.

I guess some people have better luck than others...

Back