Newegg HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB HDD $159 FS

5icko

The most reliable drives going right now, and at a great price.

$179 + USD $15 off w/ promo code EMCANAN22, ends 2/3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-145-912&FM=1

Those were some of the best reviews I ever seen on a HDD usually they are very bad.
I bought two 3 TB drives HGST in the summer time I should be good for a while thinking of plugging in one of my 500 gigs for a backup which is a Hitachi Deskstar.
Bacially the only reason I went with a SSD was the load times in Rift the MMO were slow for dungeons along with Planetside 2 load times.

Have one in my home server that replaced a failing Samsung. So far so good after 6 months. Runs about 2-3 degrees hotter than the remaining Samsungs (2tb) but still very acceptable and it moves data very reliably. Might need another for no reason :) Thanks OP!

They were at $165 on amazon since November. They're now out of stock, and only available from third-party vendor for $185 as I write this. Quite possibly due to the Backblaze report.

They were at $165 on amazon since November. They're now out of stock, and only available from third-party vendor for $185 as I write this. Quite possibly due to the Backblaze report.

blackblaze report seems to be inline with my experiences lately. Seagate sucks, 4 drives all died for me last 2 years and they were only used as back to backup storage. While my toshiba, wd and hgst drives are all still kicking. I am completely done with Seagate.

I have 6 of these running in a raid 4+2. Two of them are actually 8 months old pulled from an older array. Anyways they are a bit hotter and noiser than the segate but no issues otherwise. The normal price is $164 @ B&H; but at one point newegg had a special (around $140) if you purchased 4.
-
They are decent drives; not too sure how they compare to the WD blacks. Btw HGST makes a lot of different drives in the 4TB range; not all are as reliable.

B&H and other places have this for the same price or cheaper, and no tax depending on your state.. just FYI

I wish they were the coolspin drives or are these better? I need them more for storage than performance, figure running cooler is probably more important. I don't see newegg carrying the same coolspin drives B&H does though. Tax kind of kills it for me anyways.

I believe Blackblaze uses the regular HGST desktar drives, while these are the NAS variant made specifically to run 24/7 in a storage environment?

B&H and other places have this for the same price or cheaper, and no tax depending on your state.. just FYI

Yes I noticed this too. Some storage gurus say it's better to buy different lots when buying more than one, so buying from different sources if you need more than one may not be a bad idea.

@justintoxicated
@///AMG

The NAS nomenclature must mean for storage of course, and I would have to assume backblaze goes for the longevity drives like these.

Not sure any of these questions really matter though, tbh. One can over think these things and the bottom line is manufacturer rep and reviews.

This drive is a no brainer for storage, and those waiting on 8tb to come down might be missing out. Remember, it takes x3 drives for raid 5, and x3 8tb could make the price go ouch.

@justintoxicated
@///AMG

The NAS nomenclature must mean for storage of course, and I would have to assume backblaze goes for the longevity drives like these.

That's not a good assumption. Backblaze has been known to go with the cheapest drives they can source, even if they have to shuck them from external enclosures.

That's not a good assumption. Backblaze has been known to go with the cheapest drives they can source, even if they have to shuck them from external enclosures.

Yea, the drives they use tend to be the cheapest ones they can get. They also are different in model number to the ones the OP posted. The NAS drives have a MTBF of 1 million hrs. Where as the ones blackblaze uses dont even advertise it.

Alright, well, the ones on sale will be at least as good as the ones with a stellar rep from backblaze, so not sure any of this matters.

@justintoxicated
@///AMG

Not sure any of these questions really matter though, tbh. One can over think these things and the bottom line is manufacturer rep and reviews.

This drive is a no brainer for storage, and those waiting on 8tb to come down might be missing out. Remember, it takes x3 drives for raid 5, and x3 8tb could make the price go ouch.

Backblaze absolutely doesn't think that. The linked article says that it would take 10 years of usage on enterprise drives (with none dying) for them to make up the cost delta. The delta is a bit smaller for HGST vs Seagate, but they'll probably replace drives before they hit 5 years. Furthermore, 4TB Seagates are relatively reliable (according to Backblaze). If their numbers are right, you'll almost always save money with Seagate.

blackblaze report seems to be inline with my experiences lately. Seagate sucks, 4 drives all died for me last 2 years and they were only used as back to backup storage. While my toshiba, wd and hgst drives are all still kicking. I am completely done with Seagate.

Four of my eight 4TB 7200 RPM Hitachi drives died within the last 3 years. I have 8 4TB NAS Seagate drives, coming up on the 1-year mark, no problems. I also had 10 2TB Green drives, now it's down to 5 drives. See, with a small amount of hard drives it's hard to tell which are the worst or best.

Backblaze absolutely doesn't think that. The linked article says that it would take 10 years of usage on enterprise drives (with none dying) for them to make up the cost delta. The delta is a bit smaller for HGST vs Seagate, but they'll probably replace drives before they hit 5 years. Furthermore, 4TB Seagates are relatively reliable (according to Backblaze). If their numbers are right, you'll almost always save money with Seagate.

If you happen to be retired and have all the time in the world to be bothered with replacing faulty equipment, then sure, go for savings.

Then again, if you were retired and had extra cash, why not shoot for reliability??

Not following much of the logic here. If you want reliability, don't buy Seagate. The backblaze reports along with the reviews are convincing enough for me. If not for you, fine. Buy Seagate.

Not following much of the logic here. If you want reliability, don't buy Seagate. The backblaze reports along with the reviews are convincing enough for me. If not for you, fine. Buy Seagate.

The point is that the Backblaze report has been debunked by some credible sources, so it should be tossed aside and it's down to people's anecdotal stories. A lot of what you read online is simply people piling on with that report as gospel because the internet.

The point is that the Backblaze report has been debunked by some credible sources, so it should be tossed aside and it's down to people's anecdotal stories. A lot of what you read online is simply people piling on with that report as gospel because the internet.

Fair enough. Have any links to these credible sources? First I've heard of it, and I read ALOT.

Yeah I saw that one. Tweakdown seems to be the one with an axe to grind. Hunted around and still not seeing "debunked by some credible sources" as brentsg claims.

Tweaktown is one source. Credible? Not sure about that one because I don't frequent it enough to know.

Brentsg seems hellbent on poo-pooing this drive for some reason despite reasonable evidence that it's a sound choice.

Don't like it? Move along and buy something else, brentsg.

Yeah I saw that one. Tweakdown seems to be the one with an axe to grind. Hunted around and still not seeing "debunked by some credible sources" as brentsg claims.

Tweaktown is one source. Credible? Not sure about that one because I don't frequent it enough to know.

Brentsg seems hellbent on poo-pooing this drive for some reason despite reasonable evidence that it's a sound choice.

Don't like it? Move along and buy something else, brentsg.

Where did I say anything bad about this drive? I was simply commenting on the incorrect Backblaze remarks. These drives are great and I own a bunch of them.

I'm looking for 6 TB drives to put in an 8 bay NAS under a TV with a couch 10 feet away. How is the noise and heat on the HGST NAS drives, compared to reds w/ nasware 3? Many people say nasware 3 is much louder than nasware 1. A reviewer on Amazon said the HGST NAS drives were louder than UltraStars because they used a thinner case. Hate to buy 8 and find out they are too loud.

Will the slower reds in RAID 6 or 10 be faster than a gigabit network?

It was implied more than a good bit.

Why would you claim multiple credible sources have debunked backblaze when you can't even name the sources?

Four of my eight 4TB 7200 RPM Hitachi drives died within the last 3 years. I have 8 4TB NAS Seagate drives, coming up on the 1-year mark, no problems. I also had 10 2TB Green drives, now it's down to 5 drives. See, with a small amount of hard drives it's hard to tell which are the worst or best.

I also have 4 x 4TB Seagate NAS drives. Zero failures in over a year of heavy use. I had WD reds before and I had a 25% failure rate so I sold them.

In the discussion following the blog post linked from ZDNet, there was some question about whether or not it was appropriate to include refurbished/recertified/remanufactured drives in the data pool. I was under the impression that BackBlaze was using the replacement drives that they had received from RMA. Operating under that assumption, shouldn't a refurbished/recertified/remanufactured drive theoretically be of the same quality as a new drive?

What the hell is the point in bothering to refurbish them, then returning them to the customer, if they are not capable of working as originally intended? The fact that so many drives failed in the first place, then failed again after being replaced under warranty, to me speaks of poor design and/or materials or perhaps more significant issues with the replacement policy. Anecdotally, WD aggravated me with their policy of replacing a 5-year warranty Black series drive with a recertified replacement with only a 90-day warranty, less than a year into the life of the original failed drive.

I haven't had enough experience with Hitachi drives to form an accurate opinion, nor can we be sure that the quality of manufacturing alluded to by BackBlaze's data permeates throughout their product line. I would still be willing to take the chance for this price, however. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

I also have 4 x 4TB Seagate NAS drives. Zero failures in over a year of heavy use. I had WD reds before and I had a 25% failure rate so I sold them.

Ditto...I have 5x4TB Seagate NAS...no issues running 24/7. I like these HGST Deskstar's, but they generally are about $30 more than the Seagates (never on sale when I'm looking).

Anecdotally, WD aggravated me with their policy of replacing a 5-year warranty Black series drive with a recertified replacement with only a 90-day warranty, less than a year into the life of the original failed drive.

Wasn't aware they were doing this and doubt its legality. Of course it depends on their warranty language but doubt such a provision would stand up if challenged. These types of form contract provisions are often deemed unconscionable by courts.

Where did I say anything bad about this drive? I was simply commenting on the incorrect Backblaze remarks. These drives are great and I own a bunch of them.

The linked article backs up Backblaze. Nobody argues that HGST isn't the best drive, including Backblaze.

Anecdotally, WD aggravated me with their policy of replacing a 5-year warranty Black series drive with a recertified replacement with only a 90-day warranty, less than a year into the life of the original failed drive.

This isn't correct. Most warranties including WD state something along the lines of the greater of the remaining time on the original warranty and [some period] in this case 90 days. So you should still have 4 years left of warranty. The problem is that you have to provide them the paper work showing that this drive was a replacement for a drive under 5 years warranty. If they still give you crap I would go to small claims court for spite.

This isn't correct. Most warranties including WD state something along the lines of the greater of the remaining time on the original warranty and [some period] in this case 90 days. So you should still have 4 years left of warranty. The problem is that you have to provide them the paper work showing that this drive was a replacement for a drive under 5 years warranty. If they still give you crap I would go to small claims court for spite.

Thankfully, the replacement has yet to fail, so I have had no reason to push the issue. I keep it in mind when purchasing new drives and I am more apt to read the reviews for a drive now as a result, instead of basing the decision primarily upon the assumption that a 5-year warranty drive should be of better quality than a 3-year warranty drive. When they are cheap enough, I often just buy two consumer-grade drives for my storage needs and either mirror them or test both, then keep one as a spare for the inevitable failure.

I have not seen that at work where I have done 10 to 20 RMAs each year for 5+ years. They usually fall back to the manufacturer date since I do not usually provide receipts. Did you pull the black drive from an external? Or perhaps the vendor did that?

Last edited:
I have not seen that at work where I have done 10 to 20 RMAs each year for 5+ years. They usually fall back to the manufacturer date since I do not usually provide receipts. Did you pull the black drive from an external? Or perhaps the vendor did that?

It was a new drive purchased from Newegg. I started with a 500GB Black drive. WD ended up sending a recertified 500GB RE as the replacement, which I initially thought was very nice of them. I went on to check what the warranty status was with the "new" drive and it showed 90 days with I think 85 days remaining at the time. This was a few years ago now and the replacement is still running solid in my son's PC.

I've not had a samsung drive fail. I'm still running Samsung 2tbs in my file server.

I bought a toshiba 3tb recently. Seagate scares me a lot based on all the reliability reports I've read and the ratings on consumer sites.

I've not had a samsung drive fail. I'm still running Samsung 2tbs in my file server.

I bought a toshiba 3tb recently. Seagate scares me a lot based on all the reliability reports I've read and the ratings on consumer sites.

Samsung made some great drives in the past. I've still got a few IDE drives from them that were still running the last time I powered them up.

I believe their spinning disk division was bought by Seagate (who incidentally bought my other personal favorite spinning disk manufacturer - Maxtor). I'm not sure if this has affected the quality/reliability of the Samsung spinning disks. Then again, I'm also not sure if WD's acquisition of Hitachi has had an impact on quality/reliability one way or the other.

I had 3 1TB F3 samsung drive fail; and they failed in the worse possible way; they kept running but returned corrupted data.

I'm looking for 6 TB drives to put in an 8 bay NAS under a TV with a couch 10 feet away. How is the noise and heat on the HGST NAS drives, compared to reds w/ nasware 3? Many people say nasware 3 is much louder than nasware 1. A reviewer on Amazon said the HGST NAS drives were louder than UltraStars because they used a thinner case. Hate to buy 8 and find out they are too loud.

Not sure if I can be of any help but I have the 3TB Deskstar NAS HDD in my system now and it is pretty quiet. The only time I can hear it is when it spins up which is not loud at all, but my case is on my desk about 2 feet from my head. If I were 10 feet away I would not hear it. I am not sure if the larger drives are the same and I do not have any WD Reds to compare sorry.

Back