Newegg has Tuniq Tower 120s in stock

yeah i got the email too. I dunno if i should get it now or later. It comes to $63 shipped after tax and shipping.

I looked around and it was the same price everywhere else so I figured I'd get it now instead of letting them go out of stock and having to wait a month.

is it any better than the zalman 9500 at all?

Better? A bit. Quieter mostly. I've been looking at getting a 120mm tower cooler for a while now to replace my Zalman 9500. The Zalman 9500 is a good cooler, but the buzzing fan is annoying so I'm basically forced to keep it turned way down or else my nice quiet case isn't so quiet. From what I understand, the Tuniq can be turned up about 2/3 fan speed and still be pretty quiet. Now I just have to find some way to recoup the cost of my 9500.

Is it possible for the fan to be controlled by the motherboard? Id rather have done automatically then messing with the rheostat in the back.

How's it compare to the 9700LED in terms of cooling? (both are quiet).

I owned a few 9500 LED zalman's and THOSE ARE NOT LOUD.

The tuniq tower's fan is a bit louder than the 9500 LED's (IMO)

However, the Tuniq Tower 120 MUCH BETTER than a 9500 LED and better than a 9700 LED.

It is so good that the best overclockers use it when running systems ON AIR cooling...

However, the Tuniq Tower 120 MUCH BETTER than a 9500 LED and better than a 9700 LED.

It is so good that the best overclockers use it when running systems ON AIR cooling...

Better cooling you mean? Damn, that's good enough for me! (and it's even cheaper to boot).

Now if I can just find something else to buy from Newegg, so I can share shipping. :)

I have been thinking about this item, however, I also see the Scythe Infinity 1000 and Ninja 1100P that look very promising. Which of those is better, considering noise is not a criteria in my selection. Will a 150mm-160mm HS fit inside an antec superlanboy case on a P5-B deluxe? I think it will, but I'm not 100%.

I just installed my Tuniq Tower yesterday and have been blown away. I have an E6400 that was running really hot on the stock cooler. I was seeing idle temps between 45-47c and 72-75c under load (at 2.4 ghz, 1.30v according to TAT). The Tuniq dropped my idle temp to 33-34c and load temp to 45-47c at 2.8 ghz with 1.3v. I imagine 3.2 should be easy now that my temps are under control. I highly recommend this cooler. I credit at least some of the improvement due to the vastly superior retention mechanism. The stock cooler just didn't seem to clamp down with enough force. It was well worth the motherboard removal. :cool:

Ok then, as long as I can get it to fit...looking for a tape measure now lol...the tuniq sounds like the best bet. Especially since I'm undervolting the E6300 to achieve a stable 2.8 at reasonable temps (65ºc max under orthos, ~47ºc idle). Also it will give me a chance to actually get the stepping and other info from the cpu, since I forgot the first time around.

I have been thinking about this item, however, I also see the Scythe Infinity 1000 and Ninja 1100P that look very promising. Which of those is better, considering noise is not a criteria in my selection. Will a 150mm-160mm HS fit inside an antec superlanboy case on a P5-B deluxe? I think it will, but I'm not 100%.

The problem with the infinity cooler is the NOT SO SAFE installation method with clips (just like the stock intel cooler). That cannot be safe for a cooler of that size and weight.

I built my brother a system using a Tuniq Tower 120 and an E6400 overclocked to 3.520ghz using 1.47V

Idles @ 39-42
Load @ 48-52

Jesus H....

I knew this thing was big... So is my Thermalright Si-120 but

Here's the breakdown between what I have now

Si-120 with 38mm Panaflo weighs 670 grams

Tuniq Tower with Fan weighs 965 grams

a 300 gram weigh gain from my reference point seems huge! We sure this thing doesn't break Mobos? lol

Battle_Rattle said:

:eek:

Okay then....*exhales*

Either I build a support strut/stand inside my case to prop the thing up, or start looking at thoroughly frying my computer, aka water cooling done by liveload.
:confused:

I am a bit worried about strapping a kilogram ingot of Cu to something which is, imo, slightly sturdier than balsa wood. :(

:eek:

Okay then....*exhales*

LOL .... im not trying to talk you out of it. I am just wondering out loud. I'd say if your case can fit it then do it. This thing has been around long enough to develop a bad reputation by now. I'm going to build in the next couple of months but this thing wont fit my current case, measured it today.

i bet putting ablue led 120mm fan in there instead of the stock one would look sick

or whatever color you want, blue for me tho

it would like the ice/fire/greenness is trying to escape :D

Si-120 with 38mm Panaflo weighs 670 grams

a 300 gram weigh gain from my reference point seems huge! We sure this thing doesn't break Mobos? lol

A motherboard is rated for like 465g weight max. So it'll be fine while the PC is stationary, but when you move it you'll risk damaging the motherboard.

The Zalman 9700LED is like 760g, for comparison.

I decided to buy the 9700LED instead, cause I don't have to pull my motherboard to install it, and the Tuniq is sold out again at Newegg. Doh!

I bought a Tuniq from xpcgear.com today... 54.99 just like newegg. In stock! I was thinking about the 9700 NT, but I want balls out best air cooling. :D

not sure about the mobo, but the case looks ok... it needs to be more than 190mm wide.

Dimensions 20.7" x 19.3" x 8.3" (8.3" = 21 cm, or 210mm, which is over the 190mm mark)

From their drawing, it seems as though they want people to maintain a buffer area from the top of the HSF to the sidepanel. Why would they need to keep such a large buffer area when the top has no ventilation whatsoever?

Also, I notice (according to their drawing) it appears they are not taking into account the heatpipe tips protruding from the top of the HSF:

Tuniq-Tower-Measurement.jpg

A few minor details to be answered before I purchase one for a customer. I think a e-mail is in order.

Hmmm... Just installed one and temps only dropped like 2-3 C from my 9500. Oh well, better than nothing. Oh, and incase anyone is wondering... It fits in a DS3.

-Juce

Hmmm... Just installed one and temps only dropped like 2-3 C from my 9500. Oh well, better than nothing. Oh, and incase anyone is wondering... It fits in a DS3.

-Juce

Test your load temperatues and they should be very good in comparison to the 9500LED.

temps.gif

Hmmm.... 1.45 volts to cpu. Decent cable management. I put a thin, even layer of AS5 on the cpu and tuniq. Load temps for the 9500 were around 65ish if I recall.

I owned a few 9500 LED zalman's and THOSE ARE NOT LOUD.

The tuniq tower's fan is a bit louder than the 9500 LED's (IMO)

Well I beg to differ, because for the moment I hold the [H]ardForum overclock record for an air-cooled E6400 and I use a Zalman 9700 LED not a Tuniq Tower. :D I have looked at the other benchmark results and notice I seem to be getting lower core temperatures as well.

No offense intended to Tuniq owners out there.

My brother's PC uses a Tuniq Tower 120, Centurion 5 (small case), Closed case with 2 80mm front intake and 1 120mm exhaust fan.

E6400 X 440 = 3.520ghz @ 1.4675V (1.42 after Vdrop)

48-52 Orthos 20 minutes load!

My brother's PC uses a Tuniq Tower 120, Centurion 5 (smal case), Closed case with 2 80mm front intake and 1 120mm exhaust fan.

E6400 X 440 = 3.520ghz @ 1.4675V (1.42 after Vdrop)

48-52 Orthos 20 minutes load!

Which software did you use to obtain those core temperature readings? Just curious.

Well I beg to differ, because for the moment I hold the [H]ardForum overclock record for an air-cooled E6400 and I use a Zalman 9700 LED not a Tuniq Tower. :D I have looked at the other benchmark results and notice I seem to be getting lower core temperatures as well.

No offense intended to Tuniq owners out there.

Yeah, I've never seen data showing a Tuniq is a better cooler than a 9700 LED, anyone have some?

I decided to buy the 9700LED instead, cause I don't have to pull my motherboard to install it, and the Tuniq is sold out again at Newegg. Doh!

you'll still need to pull your mobo because the 9700 also uses a back mounting plate that needs to be installed somehow.

Yeah, I've never seen data showing a Tuniq is a better cooler than a 9700 LED, anyone have some?

I'll be able to provide that data in a few days when I get my Tuniq Tower.

I've currently been using a 9700 LED cooler with load temps in the 52C to 54C range. the Tuniq Tower better be as good (if not better) as my 9700 LED or thats going to be $60 down the drain. :(

http://www.octavewebdesign.com/computer/temps.gif

Hmmm.... 1.45 volts to cpu. Decent cable management. I put a thin, even layer of AS5 on the cpu and tuniq. Load temps for the 9500 were around 65ish if I recall.

Let your AS5 set... your temps could drop another 5c!

Back