Newegg has all the R9's listed now....

Yea, I saw that on the site at one point, but hey R9 290's DO exist. Woot!!!

Just wish I knew how much they will cost. I'm guessing $399 maybe $499. If it's $399 I'm gettin one if
$499 I'll pass and goes with the 280x. $100 bucks goes further today than 6 years ago.

Exactly my plan as well, but I feel like the R9 290 is going to drop at $499.

I noticed the 290x and 290 at Newegg have a VGA Replacement Only Return Policy
yet the 280x are Standard Return Policy.

Interesting.

I noticed the 290x and 290 at Newegg have a VGA Replacement Only Return Policy
yet the 280x are Standard Return Policy.

Interesting.

Newegg never lets you return expensive shit. They're dicks like that.

Yeah, that's the case for all top-end cards on Newegg... 780 and Titan are VGA Replacement Only Return Policy as well.

Yeah, they'll go on sale Tuesday the 15th. I bet they'll (new egg) sell out fast and will need a new supply before the weekend. :D

Edit: I'm going to hold off till November before buying. Give the rushers time to get theirs and leave me plenty to choose from. Also better pricing I'm hoping.

The lower prices reported by fudzilla are awesome. I'd gladly pick up two for that price. It may actually be worth it. Especially for BOINCing

The only thing that might keep the 290X from being a day 1 buy for me is the stupid fan. But I don't know if I can hold off long enough for aftermarket cards to start hitting the shelves.

Im just waiting on Microcenter to get em. I talked to a guy ther and he said they should have them on or just after official launch day, whatever day that is going to be.

Ugh. I don't know if I can handle 1 month of playing BF4 at 25fps lol.

Lower your settings from Ultra. Tom's shows a 660 non-Ti pulling 57 fps average 1920x1080 for high settings. 6950 is only a bit slower than that.

Ugh. I don't know if I can handle 1 month of playing BF4 at 25fps lol.

Try this, in your Battlefield 4 beta folder create a user.cfg text file with these commands

Code:
GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60
PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0
WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0

yeah the reference cooler is loud, but aftermarket coolers just blow the hot air right into your case

doesn't affect me personally, but if i was on air, i'd be hoping AMD would take apart the titan/780 ref. cooler and learn from their design

I can't believe some of the 270X are $220 while the Powercolor Myst was $150 a couple days ago.

Not to mention a 7950 is $190.

yeah the reference cooler is loud, but aftermarket coolers just blow the hot air right into your case

doesn't affect me personally, but if i was on air, i'd be hoping AMD would take apart the titan/780 ref. cooler and learn from their design

The 290 looks to have the same reference cooler as the reference 7950/7970 that had close to 50Db(A) under load. Blowing hot air out of the case or in it is pretty much down to what sort of case you're putting it in and how many fans you have blowing that hot air out.

either way I doubt it'll require any major re-engineering of the existing coolers to make them work on a 290.

Agreed. Disappointed to say the least, being that I am in the market for a new GPU. If I was in the States I would be ordering two 7950s now. Unfortunately they have not dropped in price as significantly here.

I can't believe some of the 270X are $220 while the Powercolor Myst was $150 a couple days ago.
Not to mention a 7950 is $190.

The 280x keeps getting reviewed positively for some reason? They all talk about the MSRP significantly decreasing, but really, who was paying US$400 for a 7970 since the gtx780 and 770 were released.. If you bought one it's because it was on special at around $300 anyway. Either way, next to all those $200 7950s that I've heard were floating around for the last while it's a rubbish deal. 150% of the cost for what? 110% of the performance and no games.. I have been watching this launch very closely in anticipation, cash in hand, ready to spend. The gtx780 isn't quite worth it.. The 770 isn't.. I would have been happy with a AU$300 7970/280x. Would have been happy with a good model AU$240 7950 equivalent. Instead I get a fucking AU$260 270x with no bundle.

7870/270x pricing in Aus:
Feb 2013 - $230 gets you card (7870) + Tombraider and Bioshock (strong aussie $)
Oct 2013 - $225 gets you card (7870) + choice of 2 games
Oct 2013 - $260 gets you same card (270x) and nothing else.

But wait! once pricing settles we might get awesome deals like:
Dec 2013 - $225 gets you card (270x) + choice of 2 games ...

The R9 290/290x might blow us away and give me something to upgrade to with some degree of enthusiasm. I've stopped holding my breath though..

The sticker shock is going to be pretty bad for you for the R9 290/290x, it's not looking too good even here in the US.

http://www.shopblt.com/search/order_id=%21ORDERID%21&s_max=25&t_all=1&s_all=R9+290

$540 is a tough pill to swallow when you consider it's just short of buying two 280x cards.

280x is rebranded last gen GPU's, it's not any different than the GTX Titan being released at twice the cost of two GTX 680's. And at least with 290x you're looking at $500-$600 USD rather than $1,000 USD. The top performing product in an enthusiast line always carries a premium over the rest. Look at the ASUS Maximus VI Extreme, the Intel i7-4960x, the nVidia GTX Titan, the AMD FX-9590, the Corsair 900D, and so on.

You've always been able to buy two previous-gen GPUs for around the same cost of the new flagship. 2x6970 could be had for around the same price of a 7970 at launch. As much as I hate to say it is nothing new and basically expected.

Yeah, I was just gonna point that out as well. 290X for $599 is a no brainer. I won't even think twice about buying.

I've set a limit @ 1200 for gpu's, if I can get both under that price i'll do it. if I have to stretch another hundo. I'll probably do it too.

just need to sale my 680's.

Gigabyte Technology

Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DP
Manufacturer Part# GV-R929D5-4GD-B

Only $600.53

Radeon R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DP
Video Processing/Capturing Modules.
Manuf part# GV-R929XD5-4GD-B

$703.66

Same part numbers up on Newegg, the Sapphire part# is different on NE

sorry, i dont play those kinds of games

im strictly RTS/RPG

if you are looking for a bargin, go for 2x7950 and overclock them. Best bang for the buck right now, and you can get within 5% of 2x7970 with a good OC.

Back