Newegg [H]oliday System Build Guide 0406

sirgallium said:
I agree. I have not bought a new system for almost 5 years now! And I am considering following this general guide with some suggestions already posted.

Would it be possible to put together a processor and a processor + video card simple water cooling kit with a budget in mind?

You can build a decent water cooling system to cool your GPU and CPU for about $200-250 if you build it yourself. Check out the Overclocking and Cooling section and then go to Water Cooling, you will see a lot of stuff there.

Well, great guide, I just needed it BEFORE Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I already bought all my stuff. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I was in a very tight budget for my bro so this is what I got him, most prices were on sale on Black Friday and I am not counting MIRs:
Graphics:___PNY 7600GS 512MB_______$111.99 -- on sale, very cheap and lots of memory to hold until a DX10 card like a 8600Gxx becomes available, ATI 1650 is maybe a little better performer
Proc:______INTEL C2D E6400__________$218.50 -- I was asked for this proc, I would preffer the E6600 or get the E6300 and save a bit of $
HD: _______Seagate 320GB____________ $89.99 -- I did not see the 250GB for $15 less, but I bet my bro will be using the extra space
Mem: _____OCZ 512MBx2 DDR2 800____$121.99 -- I wanted 2x1GB, but had no dough. Also, no SOE (cammo) version to save a couple bucks
MoBo: ____ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A____ $89.99 -- Maybe the only regret, I saved $50 bucks vs the recomended Gigabyte DS3, and the 570 is a proven chipset.
Total:______________________________ $632
Other Items: Old monitor, old KB & mouse, Old Audigy card and $150+ left for case/PSU (Case is a very personal choice, but the PSU is an important component, have to be careful here)

In the thread for the budget one you recommended the Samsung 20" Widescreen and for the more expensive one 2x Viewsonic 1912wb's

Well this is quite off topic but what would be better 2x Samsung 940bw or the Viewsonics?

Thanks for the suggestions. I needed a new hard drive so I clicked on the link to newegg and ordered up a new drive.
Merry Christmas. :D

Damn, I wish I had this guide when I bought my computer... I'm kicking myself now, I should have waited for the dx10 BANG!... and quadcore... and 680... :(

Anyone know when Sub $500 DX10 video card will come to market? I'd prefer to spend at MOST $350 on a DX10 video card, at least 256MB of RAM, but I'd be willing to spend more for a 512MB.

Anyone know?

Still piecing my system together. I found better deals else where for dual 320GB Drives, and I bought a Modular PSU instead. I should have my case narrowed down in a few days, but I'm really waiting for a decent, but cheaper DX10 card. I'm easily able to wait since Vista isn't out anyways.

Last question, on these systems. Do you guys run WinXP Pro or WinXP 64bit?

jojouop

There is not enough vedor support for x64. It is mainly geared toward businesses and server environments. I would stick with the 32-bit. Vista is the same situation. I have the official release version of Vista Ultimate and I am using the 32-bit; it is great. Still some lack in vendor support, though.

Good choices, as far as not having amd in play is a safe choice. although, i myself haven't moved to am2, still 939.

It is going to get interesting very soon, its an industry wide thing, with so many manufactures cutting corners and just trying to make a profit, since there is no money in single markets anymore, much of what is being manufactured is turning into commodities.

All the hardware we bought this year and the upcoming years is going to get harder to get quality at any price, so be lucky that we are still able to build quality $1500 rigs.

All the hardware manufacturers today will not be around for long, only the big and bad will be around in a couple of years.

So expect to have very few choices with mobos, chipsets, ram, etc in the coming years.
Because its going to be all coming from the same manufactures, just with a different sticker of course. :)

I personally blame the monsters dell, hp, ibm. forcing all our favorite company's to produce the highest quantity of components for the lowest price, you can only cut so many things out before something fails.

Think of this as the last year we will have a decent choice of quality components at an affordable price.

Great guide and just in time too because I'm starting to gather the parts for my next upgrade. As of now I have a core 2 duo e6600 and my video card 8800GTS. I already have a monitor, keyboard & mouse and extra hard drive. Right now I'm just in search of a mobo and memory. I was wondering though I seen a lot of threads about memory that overclocks really good and how some motherboards have a limit to how high the fsb can go. After a lot of reading I narrowed it down to Gigabyte 965P-DS3, P5N32-SLI Deluxe, P5B Deluxe. My memory choices are Crucial Ballistix 2gb DDR2 PC2-1000, Buffalo firestix 2gb DDR2 PC2-800 (for some reason newegg just took these off their site), Team Xtreem 2gb DDR2 PC2-800.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to what combinations they would suggest or if any of these choices are good enough for a good overclock.

Both the Gigabyte and P5B are good choices, I prefer the P5B, but that is just me...

Crucial Ballistix, out of those choices: Fastest stock speed.

~Ibrahim~

As previously suggested, I'd def swap out the $400 Dom for some cheaper $200 Corsair DDR2675CL4. That's more than the difference for a GTX...which will give much more perf in games than RAM speed.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my system. I used the HardOCP as a template, but changed a few things:

Case: Thermaltake VC3000BWS Black Chassis MidTower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133017

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (Used HardOCP's Link to Newegg)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 // I heard they all overclock crazy, but after reading the forums here ALOT of users are picking up this chip, as it's only $25 or so more dollars.

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146563

The feedback I got for these was great... they are cheaper than the Corsair & have the fastest stock speed, so it may help with my overclocking.

I also picked up some: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound . The last bit of it I have are in a Arctic Silver 3 Tube, which I may need to pitch. I remember picking these up locally, as I know the guy who made 'em in my home town.

I already have: 2 x 320GB Seagate 7200.10, a Modular 550w PSU, and a Geforce 8800GTX 640MB Video Card. So I figure I'm good to go. I'm still researching what sound card + new speakers I'd like, but I figure I'll just use onboard sound & my current speakers until I figure out what I want.

In addition, I'm not sure what 3rd party Fans I should get for my CPU. I'm hesitant on buying because of clearance with the case. So I figure I'll just setup my system, make sure it runs stable for a week or so, then I can measure the clearance I have. I'm leaning towards the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro however.

Thanks!!

I finally got around to ordering the parts. I ordered almost the exact the same parts as you jojouop except for the motherboard I went with the P5B-Deluxe and for the processor I decided to go for the C2D E6600. The motherboard and memory should arrive the day after christmas and the processor should follow soon. Can't wait to try the C2D oh and I'm going to keep my watercooling with the exception of the waterblock, which I already ordered as well.

i would rather go with this benq 20 inch wide screen monitor, it's practically the same, only cheaper, even without a rebate

I bet a lot of people would pay $10 for 6ms vs 8ms response and 700:1 vs 600:1 contrast ratio. Also, Samsung might be a better name than BenQ.

Just wondering if there will be system build guide for the 07 Holiday season?

I'm not one to "ditto" comments too often, but I've been somewhat dissatisfied with the "holiday part guides" being offered out there so far, and I think the only real opinion I respect anymore for not having spin is [H], so a new holiday guide would be appreciated.

Just my two very humble cents.

HOLY CRAP thread resurrection.

I like the AMD fanboys above that think the A64 X2 is faster than a Core2 at anything.

Jesus, necro post!

I was wondering why those prices in those rigs seemed far outdated..

But the regulars @ General Hardware give solid advice on a holiday rig if you're looking for one, plus they keep up to date on all the latest deals and stuff too.

Back