Newegg drive packaging, a welcome surprise

Just got a wd 2500ks from the egg today. Cappy packing, just one layer of bubble wrap, simply laying on a pile of peanuts. All four corners of hd were exposed to damage by ups. But. everthing seems ok. :)

We can argue all day if Newegg's bubble wrap packaging is sufficient enough, however I don't think anyone would disagree the way ZZF, TigerDirect, WD, etc way of packaging is better and probably doesn't cost much extra (if not cheaper). Why is Newegg so reluctant to convert to better HD packaging?

synergyo1 said:
We can argue all day if Newegg's bubble wrap packaging is sufficient enough, however I don't think anyone would disagree the way ZZF, TigerDirect, WD, etc way of packaging is better and probably doesn't cost much extra (if not cheaper). Why is Newegg so reluctant to convert to better HD packaging?

ZZF's method is definitely faster to pack. The man hour savings alone would probably more than make up the cost.

I just got a new HDD from Newegg (seagate) and mine came bubble/peanut style.

Funky packaging going on there.

synergyo1 said:
Why is Newegg so reluctant to convert to better HD packaging?

it wouldnt surprise me if NE intentionally stocks less than perfect batches of OEM drives on the cheap. so if the drives happen to be DOA we'll naturally blame it on their crappy packaging instead... :D

este said:
I've gotten tones of bubble wrap drives and never had a problem.

But, I also got a Hitachi SCSI 320 drive that came packed identical to your WD. I bet some drives just get to newegg packaged like that. I don't think its anything special they do.

There is a statement with absolutely no proof and no way to prove. I've gotten at least 3 hdds a year in bubble wrap from newegg, to this day not a single one of those drives has failed.

The way he received the drive is standard WD (as opposed to Newegg) packaging for single drives (especially retail-boxed). I've bought several retail WD drives, and all came packed in that fashion. (I've also received the only WD I've ever RMA'd packed the same way.)

Back