Newegg doesn't have A64 3200+ *retail* anymore! WT?

OBSESSION

Weaksauce
Okay... so I'm picking out components for my new rig this past week and putting them on my newegg wish list to make it easier to purchase when ready. Anyway, I had decided to get an A64 3200+ (retail version).

Just this afternoon, the processor disappeared off my wish list. Figuring I did something stoopid, I went to find the CPU and put it back on. Guess what... no more 3200+ Retail! They still have the 3200+ OEM and the 3000+ and 3400+ in both OEM and Retail.

The 3200+ Retail isn't even listed as backordered anymore. It just doesn't exist!

What gives?

Probably just outa stock with no known eta, be patient and it'll come back most likely.

unlike many other sites newegg simply don't list things they don't have.

Look down at the bottom of the list and see if it listed in the out of stock portion.

Yeah but you'll only see that if you go into the list through category or mfg, if you search it just plain won't show up.

Ah... I'm just too impatient!

Anyway, I can see this as a double-edged sword. While it doesn't do the egg any good to list a bunch of items they don't have in stock, it is also bad because if I can't find it on the list, I'm more likely to think they just don't carry it (at all) and get it elsewhere.

I guess the least they could have done was leave it on my wish list. :p

That's odd.
Normally if it isn't in stock and newegg they list the item but list it as not in stock.
They don't list your items at all...hmmm

Just buy OEM, and a better heatsink for $30. Or you can be like me, and buy retail, and use the original heatsink for several huge ramsinks. But I plan to use those for mosfets :cool:. No, really.

I wonder if this has to do with people ordering the 2.0 GHz 1MB cache model but getting the 2.2 GHz 512KB cache model. I hope this shit gets worked out by the time I order my 3200+. I need the 1MB cache. :(

Yes. AMD is getting rid of 1MB L2 cache versions, moving to the 512KB L2. I dont know why, but they are the same Clawhammer core, not Newcastle. I am scrambling to get a 1MB L2 cache now.

I could see the 2.2 Ghz ones with 512 cache being good for none OCers as the 200mhz are a greater benifit then the extra cache. But if your OCing I understand.

SparkedFire said:
Yes. AMD is getting rid of 1MB L2 cache versions, moving to the 512KB L2. I dont know why, but they are the same Clawhammer core, not Newcastle. I am scrambling to get a 1MB L2 cache now.

All 512KB L2 chips are NewCastle cores, not ClawHammer. They are also MUCH better overclockers on the whole over the 1MB L2 cache chips.

The reason newcastle is a new core is you can't just remove half the cache (or the left testicle, as the case may be) and see no effect, the actual core hasta be redone, hence the "new" newcastle core. There are no other differences, just new nametape to match different cache size.

And yes, as a new revision it should show better overclocking percentage per point than the clawhammer cores as it is a more mature form of the same level of chip processing.

Peace.

i have to argue this, as a 512KB clawhammer chip runs faster than a true newcastle. if the "512KB L2 cache clawhammers" were newcastle, why would they run at higher speeds. we have noticed and it is proven that true newcastles perform better than the clawhammer at comparable speeds. you guys are saying that the "newcastle" 3200+ at 2.2GHz has the same PR as a 3500+ newcastle at 2.2GHz. that does not add up.

P.S. the 512KB L2 cache clawhammer have half of the L2 cache disabled, requiring a speed increase to make up for the performance loss.

Yes, but ClawHammer scale much better (for equal gain in clock speed they get more in perfornace). And CG revisions overclock wonderfully, 2.5GHz vs the Newcastle's 2.5GHz still comes out on top.

M4d-K10wN said:
Yes, but ClawHammer scale much better (for equal gain in clock speed they get more in perfornace). And CG revisions overclock wonderfully, 2.5GHz vs the Newcastle's 2.5GHz still comes out on top.
I'm trying to find a place that will guarantee me the CG stepping ClawHammer now. No luck at Excaliber PC. :(

Back