NewEgg Deal Alert: Free Gigabyte AMD RX 480 4GB with HTC Vive VR Headset Purchase

cageymaru

Fully [H]
People always complain that the biggest barrier to VR ownership is the cost. NewEgg is conquering this stigma with a special deal on the HTC Vive - Virtual Reality Headset. Purchase the HTC Vive headset and you get a Gigabyte RX 480 4GB for FREE! NewEgg is giving you a free video card to start your VR adventures off with! So what are you waiting for?

• Vive is built from the ground up for room-scale VR, which allows you to physically move around objects in the virtual space
  • With more than 500 games and growing for SteamVR, everything you love about Steam is now available in VR
  • An adjustable headset and multiple eye relief adjustments, including lens distance and IPD, to make Vive comfortable and clear
  • Wireless controllers designed specifically for VR make interactions with objects natural and intuitive
  • Enjoy a safe, convenient experience with Chaperone bounds of your play area, a front-facing camera to view the real world and notifications from your phone in VR

some people bitch about anything

It has nothing to do with that. Here we know that this card is not viable for VR. The average person (and trust me, average people are getting into VR), will see this and think it's going to be enjoyable experience and an amazing deal.

Good deal, sure, it's a freebie card to sell and get something better. But those who don't go this route will be sorely disappointed in the experience and possibly cause a distaste for VR in general.

They can't sell these cards so they are pawning them off on unsuspecting consumers because the box blows VR's proverbial dick.

Great. You get a card that cannot support VR to an enjoyable level. Right on.

That was my thought as well.

17211997_10104322695041372_547575236199900638_o.jpg

60+% reprojection rate and 16.58% dropped frames does not sound like a good time, but who says you have to use the RX480 for the Vive?

You can use the Vive with a better system, and keep the free RX480 for something else!

Still a nice deal, 200 freebie is nothing to snear at.

Exactly!

Yeah but who's going to buy a 480? :D

The $200 off Microcenter coupon (making it $599) is the better deal and runs for 2 more weeks.

It's not a bad card for 1080p 60fps gaming.

Faster than an original Kepler Titan :p

So someone sees this deal, and decides to jump into the VR world, maybe they don't know AS much about computers and GPU's as they should.

Their experience with VR is total crap and they leave with a bad taste in their mouth, turning them, and anyone they talk to off entirely to VR. Sounds like whatever retailer this is, is poisoning the well off consumers, setting them up for a shitty experience just for the short term gain of moving some units or a card that has no business in VR.

Does that card really translate into crappy experience? I know the numbers but how does that really translates into a crappy experience?

Does that card really translate into crappy experience? I know the numbers but how does that really translates into a crappy experience?

Yes, it does.

[H]ard has done a review on it. IIRC, it didn't go well.

Wasn't the test with Crossfired 480s at least decent? So toss another in and you're saving money over a 1070. Ideal? No. But not bad. As an owner of a 480 and 1060 (search gaming on middle income budget) I wouldn't VR on either because I enjoy not vomiting on myself. Based on reviews I've read they're both certainly less than ideal for fast paced VR, but not horrible for VR experiences and the like.

Newegg still owes me $35 from a 2004 "Free SOYO SY-P41865PE Plus Dragon 2 V1.0 mobo AR".. neither the Newegg nor the $35 Soyo rebates ever came.. even after several emails from me. Apparently I wasn't the only one who got gipped!! And on top of it, the Soyo had a bad ram slot that shut down the mobo randomly. Just a FAIL all the way around!!

XKKVU.jpg

4 1/2 hour trip to Microcenter. :(

Same here.. 4 hrs north to Fairfax, VA or 6.5 hrs south to Atlanta!! Makes me miss the old TigerDirect days when it had the feel of walking through your horder uncle's shed.. TD prices sucked but at least it actually had equipment out to touch and look at, motherboards out on display and headsets to try on. A friend who went to the Maryland store looking for a new gaming headset said there were lots of headphones to buy.. but none to try on in the store!! Perhaps they don't want to spread head lice, some lawyer made them stop to avoid a law suit, or to stop showrooming. The solution, said by a MC salesman, is to buy a few, try them on at home, and return the rest within 30 days!!

If someone tried playing with this setup they would return it and be left disappointed in VR. What a terrible combo deal.

4 1/2 hour trip to Microcenter. :(

Well, I took 2 trips to the Northeast Microcenter in the last 2 weeks which is 3 hours away. However, this was to upgrade my computers to Ryzen, which was worth it and an enjoyable drive to boot. This is not worth it even if I wanted to do VR, which I do not at this time. (Worth the trip I mean, not the deal itself.)

Well, I took 2 trips to the Northeast Microcenter in the last 2 weeks which is 3 hours away. However, this was to upgrade my computers to Ryzen, which was worth it and an enjoyable drive to boot. This is not worth it even if I wanted to do VR, which I do not at this time. (Worth the trip I mean, not the deal itself.)

I can imagine the drive back seeming unbearably long :p

Last edited:
I can imagine the drive back seeing unbearably long :p

I would have thought so as well but, they really weren't. Probably because I took the week off of the 2nd of March and the second trip was on the 11th of March, which was a Saturday. :)

I would have thought so as well but, they really weren't. Probably because I took the week off of the 2nd of March and the second trip was on the 11th of March, which was a Saturday. :)

Where did you drive from? When you say Northeast, I presume you mean the one in Cambridge, mass? That's like 5 miles from my house.

Where did you drive from? When you say Northeast, I presume you mean the one in Cambridge, mass? That's like 5 miles from my house.

Oops, I meant the Northeast Ohio Microcenter, which is about 3 hours from the Buffalo, NY area.

Edit: Although, it would have been cool to meet up with you, that is definitely further than 3 hours one way. :D

Last edited:
Back