NewEgg.com Shell Shocker WD 640GB, 49.99 + F/S

These were $40 two weeks ago at Fry's. But if you missed out, then this will work

I"m sorry, but this is almost a pointless drive... with the price of the 1tb greens and 750gb greens so low, this one just can't keep up. Now the 640 Blacks and blues a great, but that is because of the performance associated with them. A 640 green just doesn't make much sence to me.

I"m sorry, but this is almost a pointless drive... with the price of the 1tb greens and 750gb greens so low, this one just can't keep up. Now the 640 Blacks and blues a great, but that is because of the performance associated with them. A 640 green just doesn't make much sence to me.

Agreed 100%

A WD 1TB/2TB Blue would have been a much better choice than a 640GB Green. No idea why they thought that was a good idea...

Agreed 100%

A WD 1TB/2TB Blue would have been a much better choice than a 640GB Green. No idea why they thought that was a good idea...
Just because it's not a good idea for the consumer doesn't mean getting rid of them isn't a good idea for Newegg...

Last edited:

Not everyone is focused on cents / gb. Some have aggregate limits on the total amount of money they can spend on upgrades.

Not everyone is focused on cents / gb. Some have aggregate limits on the total amount of money they can spend on upgrades.

Well said and a valid point but when the difference is $40 I think not eating out for a couple of days would be enough to make up the difference. Lets face it; if you're building/reworking a computer you have to take value into account and what the best value for the money is.

Ya, when building or upgrading a rig on a stricter budget the $25-$30 saved here can go towards just about anything imaginable, a better cpu, heatsink or videocard, more ram, upgraded psu, etc etc.

Obviously this doesn't fit the profile of every buyer here, some are just interested in adding more bulk storage, and this is where the 1TB - 1.5tb - 2tb drives make more sense.

Well said and a valid point but when the difference is $40 I think not eating out for a couple of days would be enough to make up the difference. Lets face it; if you're building/reworking a computer you have to take value into account and what the best value for the money is.

And maybe they don't eat dinner out either. Additionally, 640gb may be plenty for their storage needs. Your value comparison is like going to Sam's or Costco and buying a case of Gatorade, when you really only need a 6 pack. Sure, there maybe more "value" with a better unit price buying the case, but if you only need 6, the rest would be a waste.

Unit price isn't everything.

And maybe they don't eat dinner out either. Additionally, 640gb may be plenty for their storage needs. Your value comparison is like going to Sam's or Costco and buying a case of Gatorade, when you really only need a 6 pack. Sure, there maybe more "value" with a better unit price buying the case, but if you only need 6, the rest would be a waste.

Unit price isn't everything.

Its only a waste if you don't use it. By those standards anyone who owns a 80GB drive from 5 years ago and only used 20GB for their email and word documents wasted money. Sometimes its the non sequiturs that matter and not simply price.

So, by and extending your logic, the 500 GB Green drive in your sig is pointless? I'll gladly take it off your hands in that case. :D A 640 GB Green drive is obviously not pointless to someone, if they are still selling.

hmm, nice discussion going on from my comment.

Anyhow, I'd like to add that the case combo deal for the CM 932 seems like real deal if your already looking to buy that specific case anyway. (btw it's a big guady monstrosity but does put out a shit ton of air and is cool looking in that strange CM kinda way)

Agreed

I built my media server on the cheap. I dropped a 500GB Green drive about a year and a half ago. I used a shuttle K45 (sub $100 barebones). A 750GB drive would have "only" cost a little more...like $30-$40...but I haven't needed the space.

Say I saved $35 last year. This year that $35 difference would allow an upgrade from aa 500GB to more like a 1TB or 1.5TB this year.

:D

Sometimes better to wait rather than just buy the best $/GB. Money saved now will buy you more later.

My only pause on that would be that its the old design. The newer 320GB based platter drives are much faster than their 250GB platter cousins.

Oh ok, that's the kind of info I come to [H] for. What's the best bang/buck for a speedy 7200RPM in the $60-75 range?

Oh, it ended..

There was also a deal of buying a 640GB HD and also the HAF 932.

I got mine for 139 shipped. (Discount of 49.99)

Oh, it ended..

There was also a deal of buying a 640GB HD and also the HAF 932.

I got mine for 139 shipped. (Discount of 49.99)

I just bit on that too.

Upgrade time! Now to head over to microcenter to grab an i7 for 200 bucks.

Black drives have larger cache and longer warrantys (5yr vs. 3yr of the Blue's)

Green are 5400rpm, Blue's are 7200rpm... Black's are also 7200rpm...

Ok, just checked the 640GB's and the Green 640 is 7200rpm (wtf?)

But, generally... that's the standard that WD uses to label drives... green is slower/low power... blue is middle-range... black is the best / longer warranty...

K, been looking arround and WD has info for 2 640gb green drives. One is 5400 rpm the other 7200 rpm but I seriously think the 7200rpm one is a re-labled blue.

Ya the black drives I love. Super long warranty and they are fairly fast. As well as being fairly cool and quiet.

The Green are no longer 5400. They are "variable speed" 5400-7200 drives. They spin-down when not in use.

I have a "Blue" 6400AAKS (before they called them "Blue"), and considered getting a 640Green for a RAID 1 setup (just got a VR80 for boot). But, the spin-down/up can cause the drive to drop from the array (in some scenarios, as I've read), so I passed. I'll continue to use my 250GB ext. for backing up the important stuff & skip the RAID1.

Back